closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The hour of the Dreadnaught GMT draws nigh

My guess is that the GMT will cost a little more than the original (unadjusted for inflation).

Quote Originally Posted by psikat View Post
    My guess is that the GMT will cost a little more than the original (unadjusted for inflation).
    I suspect you are right, however whilst we're encouraged to leave the prices of things that sell on the for sales up for posterity, the price of things in the Timefactors shop disappear when they are no longer available.

Not having been around when the first one went on sale, I don't know if I'm to guess a little more £40, £400 or £4000

Craftsman
    The original DN was £450 IIRC.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Burak View Post
    The original DN was £450 IIRC.

Michael
    Thanks Burak

Craftsman
    My gut feeling is that the price will be around the £900 mark, looking forward to seeing how reliable my gut is when all will be revealed in the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    My gut feeling is that the price will be around the £900 mark, looking forward to seeing how reliable my gut is when all will be revealed in the next couple of weeks.
    Based on simple RPI calculations, £450 in 2002 would be £620.10 now. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Based on simple RPI calculations, £450 in 2002 would be £620.10 now. We'll have to wait and see.
    That's quite possibly true, but we know that quality watch movements have dramatically outpaced RPI, so £800+ seems the least we can expect.

Although the last release was a pleasant surprise, so maybe Eddie will stun us once again (in a good way )

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Obviously the cost of every single thing doesn't go up with RRP...
    I suspect that around the £7-800 mark will be the point and would be very pleasantly surprised if it were less. Just a guess tho :)

I hope we find out soon as with the hour still nigh, so to speak, it's like having your cash blocked in a time deposit... :-)

Master
    Eddie, why don't you have a competition for "nearest to release price" the winner gets number one as a prize haha.

I will go for £875 just in case.

Incidentally will the packaging be as lavish as the original?

Apprentice
    < I reckon you are light on that by about 20 quid, plus postage>

1. What I know about that = precisely nothing.
    2. If any doubt, see 1. above.

Seriously guys - who knows? But it is a fun game to play while we wait.

What Eddie considers a fair price is all that matters, and the faithful who have waited and begged and sent gentle reminders (and some not so gentle ones, undoubtedly) for years for this, will clearly be happy regardless. I don't know how Eddie will spend the time he gets back because of NOT answering DN-related questions!

All I do know is - the upcoming dive shots and some more of #000 in the wild, and the prospect/possibility/merest chance/hint/dream/thought/hope of release in the next few weeks (please see 1. above), are fair dinkum bunching my undies. I haven't felt so excited about a release for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by IMAC View Post

What Eddie considers a fair price is all that matters
    This isn't how my understanding of product marketing works... The price should be dictated by the expected demand and desire of the customers to pay for the product. If there are 250 watches and 2,000 customers after them and the top 250 of which would be prepared to pay £5,000 for one, then £5,000 should be the sales price. The other 1,750 potential clients not prepared to pay the fee should go look at something else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RudeDog View Post
    This isn't how my understanding of product marketing works... The price should be dictated by the expected demand and desire of the customers to pay for the product. If there are 250 watches and 2,000 customers after them and the top 250 of which would be prepared to pay £5,000 for one, then £5,000 should be the sales price. The other 1,750 potential clients not prepared to pay the fee should go look at something else.
    I think you'll find Eddie doesn't play by the rules mate. He said in another thread, almost verbatim, that it's not about the money for him but he does have bills to pay, so his markups are not that of a business seeking out and out commercial gain but need to cover operational costs, maintain cash flow and not leave him eating baked beans all the time.

I asked Eddie roughly how much the GMT would be a while ago and whilst he was adequately and understandably vague he said it would be above the PRS-30 and below £1,000. That means in the region between £800 and £1k. A bargain considering the legacy behind the watch, the quality that Eddie achieves, the costs of the movement etc and the comparable price of the same spec watch from a more mainstream, commercially driven business.

Of course he could have also be winding me up as he doesn't know me from Adam!
    Last edited by Schofie; 25th October 2013 at 10:05.

I think the safest thing we can assume is that Eddie knows what he's going to charge but (virtually) no-one else does

M

Banned
    What is holding up release?

And do we expect the originals to drop in value?

Diving photos?

The fact one's being taken off for photo duties makes me question whether it'll be here next Tuesday...

I prefer the GMT to the original, but there will always be people who value the original's limited production and different style/greater WR, etc, so I'd be surprised if we see a glut of £100 DN's any time soon

M

Banned
    £100 DN's

probably not but we can dream lol

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    What is holding up release?

And do we expect the originals to drop in value?
    I hope not being selfish. But then I probably will never sell mine. The Voyager is a completly different watch. The original is unique with only 200 having been built. There is no limitation on the Voyager.
    I toyed with the idea of owning both but GMT is not my thing and I'm still in love with the original.

I think its the packaging amongst other things that has slowed the launch. I'm interested in the difference in weight of the watches and until handling two together won't be able to get a feel. The weight of the original sets the whole experience of wearing a DN up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by psikat View Post
    This review was my first encounter with the watch long before I joined TZ. I was amazed to find out the watch was not in fact polished! Eddie hated this polished version which I have to say looked good in the images. (not having seen one in real life until I tried on Toshi's)

I wonder if Eddie considered polishing the Voyager? I bet I know the answer

What spec movement???????

As the wait continues before Eddie finally decides to sell the voyager. I was just wondering if anyone has heard if this has the same "elaboree" movement 2893-2 as that of the speedbird III GMT???

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GS Overland View Post
    As the wait continues before Eddie finally decides to sell the voyager. I was just wondering if anyone has heard if this has the same "elaboree" movement 2893-2 as that of the speedbird III GMT???

Dave
    I'm pretty certain it's the same movement and grade Dave as I think I remember an old post showing the arrival of the movements

Craftsman
    Back to the pricing game.....£975

Dowsing thanks for checking regarding the movement.
    Price wise i`ll go for £880

Grand Master
    I think it should be priced at £777

Thats the number of the beast +1 all round!!!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    Back to the pricing game.....£975
    I so hope not.

The figures will be different, but I suspect that for most of us, spend on watches will fall into 3 price categories...

1. Cheap enough that you can buy on a whim and consider it disposable.

2. Enough that it needs to feel like good value, you would feel confident to answer honestly if the other half asked you how much you had spent, but not so much that you need to finance/flip.

3. Sufficiently expensive that you've got to be absolutely sure you're doing the right thing, and is likely to require you to move at least one watch out to make it financially or matrimonially viable.

As I said, the bands will be different for each of us, and £975 would, regrettably, put the watch comfortably in band 3 for me.

Craftsman
    I so hope not.

The figures will be different, but I suspect that for most of us, spend on watches will fall into 3 price categories...

1. Cheap enough that you can buy on a whim and consider it disposable.

2. Enough that it needs to feel like good value, you would feel confident to answer honestly if the other half asked you how much you had spent, but not so much that you need to finance/flip.

3. Sufficiently expensive that you've got to be absolutely sure you're doing the right thing, and is likely to require you to move at least one watch out to make it financially or matrimonially viable.

As I said, the bands will be different for each of us, and £975 would, regrettably, put the watch comfortably in band 3 for me.
    I like that definition, that sums it up for me exactly, although I would add to band 3 "...or matrimonially viable, after rounding the price down a bit"

Sub £1,000 would keep it in band 2 for me, band 3 territory would be a challenge at the moment, there have been quite a few incoming of late.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Gethin View Post
    I like that definition, that sums it up for me exactly, although I would add to band 3 "...or matrimonially viable, after rounding the price down a bit"
    <grin>

I've seen this happen on so many forums so many times and I can never work out why people do it: Customers talking the price UP ???

Grand Master
    One thing I will say about Eddie without sucking ass is that he will price it fairly and even if we all wanted to pay thousands he has the integrity not to milk it, always consider the long game!
    RIAC

Agreed - Eddie knows the price and I suspect it won't be changing.

M.

I agree in this case Eddie is an honourable guy and probably won't be influenced but most would. Why to people do it? unless of course they are not actually going to buy anyway and don't care?

The best con artists are the ones that don't let you know you are being conned. Not that I'm suggesting that Eddie fits this category but if he did, you wouldn't know about it!

I'm hoping that it will be a Band 1 watch for me.

Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    I agree in this case Eddie is an honourable guy and probably won't be influenced but most would. Why to people do it? unless of course they are not actually going to buy anyway and don't care?
    People are just speculating, it's a bit of fun to pass the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RudeDog View Post
    The best con artists are the ones that don't let you know you are being conned. Not that I'm suggesting that Eddie fits this category but if he did, you wouldn't know about it!

I'm hoping that it will be a Band 1 watch for me.
    Well, the banding I suppose depends on how wealthy you are, but it certainly won't be a band 1 for a large amount of people :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    People are just speculating, it's a bit of fun to pass the time. :)
    Exactly

Craftsman
    I would have thought potential customers discussing price expections is good info for Eddie for when he pitches the price, priced correctly this watch should sell out PDQ, but the last thing either Eddie or customers would want is for it to be priced too high for it not to sell out straight away. People will always buy anything that is in demand knowing that they won't lose money if they chose to sell it if only to experience what all the fuss was about.

Craftsman
    I'd like to point out that being a repeat timefactors customer, I am confident that a little fun speculation will have no impact on Eddies pricing model......otherwise I would not participate.

As another has said....I believe Eddie plays 'the long game'. I suspect he and this forum would not have long term contributors / customers otherwise

Well, the banding I suppose depends on how wealthy you are, but it certainly won't be a band 1 for a large amount of people :)
    I am not wealthy but I am still hoping it will be Band 1!!!

Have too admit that my personal band 1 is "less than a tank of diesel", so at least when the prices go up at the pumps there's a bright side.

From experience at this point on the game Eddie already has his price calculated. We will know just before they go on sale how much they will be and it will be a fair price. It will definitely get me out of my No-Buy Zone.

I fixed the price 3 weeks ago when I received the first 100 and the invoice. What I didn't count on is receiving another invoice last week for the bracelets! Don't worry, the price that I fixed 3 weeks ago is the price.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Ok if We all ask really,really nicely. . . . . .Dear sweet lovely Eddie can we have the Voyager on the website i have bulge in My trousers from the cash in My pocket that i stopped My wife from using for buying something called,"Food".

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Ok if We all ask really,really nicely. . . . . .Dear sweet lovely Eddie can we have the Voyager on the website i have bulge in My trousers from the cash in My pocket that i stopped My wife from using for buying something called,"Food".

What he said! ^^^^

What he said! ^^^^

I agree with the last two reply`s. Please Eddie list them soon, very very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    ...Dear sweet lovely Eddie can we have the Voyager on the website i have bulge in My trousers ....
    That's the point I spat coffee all over my keyboard. :lol:

I'm not bulging, but am keen nevertheless (if I can convince SWMBO, who is not so convinced)

My New Dreadnought

It suddenly occured to me it would be quicker and easier to pop out and buy one of these, than keep standing in line chasing the dangling carrot, I just need a bigger bath now

My new Dread by toezapper, on Flickr

A lot of speculation on the price, but any idea on a rough release date?

I realise interest in this model has reached almost stratospheric levels, but any hint would be appreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyc319 View Post
    A lot of speculation on the price, but any idea on a rough release date?

I realise interest in this model has reached almost stratospheric levels, but any hint would be appreciated?
    Just been announced - April 1st 2017.

More seriously, it will be 'coming soon'. Maybe next week? I have no inside knowledge, so who knows? Eddie's notoriously cagey about release dates and prices.

We'll know when we know!

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 5th November 2013 at 17:36.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Just been announced - April 1st 2017.

More seriously, it will be 'coming soon'. Maybe next week? I have no inside knowledge, so who knows? Eddie's notoriously cagey about release dates and prices.

We'll know when we know!

M.
    You just have to wait for the booklet to be printed.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    You just have to wait for the booklet to be printed.

Eddie
    Does the booklet come on leather or rubber?