closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expensive Watches - Do You Enjoy Wearing Them?

Master
    The price of a sports Rolex is about right for me and I dont ever worry about wearing them, common sense prevailing with regard to the environment of course. My most expensive 'one' watch was a new white faced steel Daytona and the very first time I wore it, my mate edged past me at a friends barbecue and I scratched the bezel up the bloody brick wall which was slightly annoying to say the least.......

I have pondered over an AP diver on a bracelet (Wayne's fault!) but I would feel like I had to sell a couple of my other watches to justify the extravagance and this, coupled to the generally higher service charges for the more expensive pieces, will probably mean that it stands little chance of becoming a reality.

Don't hold me to it though.

Master
    When I first got into watches and spent four figures on a very understated vintage Rolex, I wore it much less than I should have. It was in amazing condition and I was clearly paranoid about scratching or stretching it, and it seemed potentially a bit showy around my frequently broke artist friends. Now it's a watch I reach for when I'm looking for something subtle and easy to wear. Clearly the goal posts move over the years.

In the same way, I used to prefer to have a choice of watches in the £1-2k range give or take, plus the odd vintage cheapie, rather than consolidating with something higher value. They just seemed easier to wear without worrying about the watch, or feeling showy. Now the psychological barrier has moved (and ten years have passed), and I'm inclined to agree with the OP on where the comfortable middle ground lies. So a bit of trading up is in order, something I could have done years ago but chose not to. The point, I guess, is that 'it's all relative', though you can also pick a point that feels comfortable and seems to be 'in the middle'.

As it stands though, my most pricey piece is the one that gets the most wrist time. It's a Grand Seiko - not only the most confortable watch I own, but also comfortably under the radar. I assume you're average Joe has no idea what it is, so I never think twice about wearing it anywhere. I bought it with the very clear intention of wearing it often, if it needs re-finishing one day then so be it. So my most expensive watch is also my daily beater!
    Last edited by Itsguy; 16th September 2013 at 10:28.

I love wearing my rarest / most expensive watches, but I don't do so every day otherwise it wouldn't be so much of a treat.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    I`m definitely a hoarder/collector, with several vintage watches that hardly ever get worn. I`m happy with this because I get pleasure from owning them; I think this sense of enjoyment from 'knowing you've got one' is a key psychological aspect which defines a collector. Some will find this hard to empathise with, claiming there's no point in owning watches if you don`t wear them. No right or wrong on this point, we're all different.

Even though (in most cases) I can refinish any damage myself, I hate getting a watch scratched, so I`m very careful when wearing them. I`m more concerned about ease/cost of refinishing rather than value; I`m more relaxed wearing a Rolex Explorer 1 (value around £2.5K) than a vintage 1960s gold-capped Omega Dynamic (value £500) because I know the gold-capped brushed finish on the Omega can`t be fixed if it gets damaged, whereas the Rolex is very straightforward to put right if it picks up a few marks.

As for putting a ceiling on the value of a single watch, I think current prices have got really silly. I couldn`t justify spending more than £3-£4K on any single watch, it just seems wrong somehow. I can`t get my head around the current prices; at one time (when a new Rolex cost well under £3K) I don`t think being seen wearing one sent out a wrong message. Fast-forward to today's prices, with the same watches costing £6K+, and I think it's a different story, particularly at a time when a lot of people are finding life hard financially. Fortunately for me, there's nothing in the higher price bracket that interests me any more so it isn`t a dilemma.

Paul

I guess the reason for starting this thread was mainly due to how I feel with regards to my MilSub. Over the last 18 months I've toyed with the idea of having only 1 watch. Not sure if this is a WIS pipe dream (quite possibly) but felt the need to try.

Now I have always loved military watches and vintage Rolex, so for me a MilSub was always going to be at the top of my wish list - attainable or not. When I spotted MW's at a good price, appreciating it is partly civilianised, it ticked all the boxes.

Receiving the watch was most probably one of the best watch experiences of my life. It is stunning, the "civilian" dial is gorgeous and the insert has that lovely aged bluey grey colour, complete with aged tritium pip. Fixed lugs, correct military markings. The right DNA - perfect!!

I now had the watch of my dreams and was ready to wear it every day - regardless. But then this niggle started to develop in the back of my mind. This is a very rare and expensive beater. What the hell are you doing. I guess with only 1200 of these watches ever issued it does rest heavily on the wrist so to speak. As has been mentioned by others in this thread, there is a certain sense of responsibility when owning a rare watch and the thought of damaging it in some way was ruining it for me.

This watch has had a major effect on how I now view owning and wearing watches. It's made me set a value limit to ensure I enjoy wearing them. I'm pretty sure that value limit will continue to decrease over time, especially as watch prices are currently hitting all time highs and I now feel their cost is beginning to exceed their value, for me at least.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

My more expensive pieces are less than £6k each and I am comfortable with the potential of marking them with wear. My main concern is drawing the wrong kind of attention from the wrong people.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    as watch prices are currently hitting all time highs and I now feel their cost is beginning to exceed their value, for me at least.
    This is a good point, it shows every sign of being a bubble, and yet like London housing, the global market forces are not causing it to burst. A lot of the price rises had to do with the unique situation of the Swiss Franc becoming a bolt hole currency during the financial crisis. Unfortunately, people have gradually got used to these prices, and the manufacturers have discovered to their surprise that they actually still sell - perhaps to the very same people who caused the crash in the first place! What an unfortunate coincidence that Switzerland should manufacture luxury goods. It's a strange and rather annoying situation for those who can still remember prices from just a few years ago, in the 'good old days'. But unless the world economy changes radically, and the super-rich rejoin the rest of us, I can't see things returning to 'normal'. It's frustrating for the enthusiast who enjoys watches aesthetically.

Master
    Blog Entries
    "sense of responsibility when owning a rare watch and the thought of damaging it in some way was ruining it for me."

This part rings true to me. I had a chronomatic heuer monaco, one of 12-15 known to exist. It was amazing and i felt very privileged to own it, and yet I was always worried about it and couldn't enjoy wearing it for fear of damaging it and all the history.

It worried me so much I had to sell it (and to a great chap) where it is looked after as part of a wider and large collection.

In all honesty i think this is part of the WIS journey, and will most likely repeat itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    "sense of responsibility when owning a rare watch and the thought of damaging it in some way was ruining it for me."

This part rings true to me. I had a chronomatic heuer monaco, one of 12-15 known to exist. It was amazing and i felt very privileged to own it, and yet I was always worried about it and couldn't enjoy wearing it for fear of damaging it and all the history.

It worried me so much I had to sell it (and to a great chap) where it is looked after as part of a wider and large collection.

In all honesty i think this is part of the WIS journey, and will most likely repeat itself.
    And it applies 100% to my "NOS" Autavia GMT that's been much photographed in these parts. I just couldn't bring myself to wear it, hence reluctantly letting it go!

Banned
    100% same problem with this one, had let it go.

But then this niggle started to develop in the back of my mind. This is a very rare and expensive beater. What the hell are you doing. I guess with only 1200 of these watches ever issued it does rest heavily on the wrist so to speak. As has been mentioned by others in this thread, there is a certain sense of responsibility when owning a rare watch and the thought of damaging it in some way was ruining it for me.
    Then may I suggest that you change your signature? Your current "Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence" doesn't seem to sit well with your concerns!

If I had watches I didn't wear they'd have to go. That has actually happened to me recently when I chose 7 to sell as they just weren't getting any wrist time. The cost of the watches doesn't come into it. My new Hulk (which to me was expensive, to others not so) gets worn wherever, even in the office where there's a steel bar just at the front lip of my desk.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this doesn't fit with the flow - but it is something I have been thinking about recently.

A couple of weeks ago I spent a mere £20 on a 1950/60s vintage hand wind by Paul Jobin. Its small (33mm) but has a decent movement and keeps good time, within a 20 secs per day. A few minutes with Polywatch and it is looking fine.

It is the kind of honest, decent quality everyday watch theat the Swiss used to specialize in.

I do not dive, I am not on active service and I'm not a pilot. This watch does everything I need (except remind me of the date and my mobile does that anyway).

I now wear it most days and it is, in fact, more than enough watch for me.

Craftsman
    Yep, a real pleasure, couldn't buy any watch and not wear it.

Journeyman
    Apart from when I go on holiday when I want a seiko that I can use in the pool and throw under a towel when I go in the sauna, I do not think I could ever own a watch that I was not happy to wear

Journeyman
    I have only recently spent a "large" amount of money on a watch, I started with a pre-owned Omega Planet Ocean chrono, that stopped twice in a week so went back, I then spent £800 more on a pre-owned Rolex GMT Coke on Jubilee bracelet - unfortunately that had undisclosed damage and went back.

At this point I decided to give up on buying pre-owned and bought a 39mm Explorer brand new from a dealer. I got £350 off retail so only spent £300 more than the pre-owned GMT.

I don't think I would have initially jumped into spending nearly £4k on a watch, it took me a few initial purchases with much man maths justification before I ended up where I am now.

I did worry how I would feel having £4k sitting on my wrist and would people think I was flash etc etc, I was also initially worried about damaging it and to some extent still am, however after 4 weeks I have got a few minor marks on the clasp etc and now am less concerned - also the Explorer seems to pretty much fly under the radar - which I love.

I would be gutted if I really bashed it, but there is no point owning a watch you don't wear imo.

Charlie

Interesting thread - I don't have any vintage watches so my only concern really is value based, especially as others have said a service will resolve most issues.

When I wear my JLC I am not concerened at all as I think will easily take a knock & is also unlikely to get knocked. My Hublot is bulkier and although ceramic, due to the value I am more cautious with this one,but still enjoy wearing it.

My bigger worry is if someone tried to take it off me so I find the Millgauss the most concerning probably despite it costing less due to Rolex's universal recognition & the Hublot due to its value - so again I find my "sweet spot" about 5k but that is more to do with the actual watches themselves to a large degree.

To me it's more of the condition of the watch than the price itself. I have no problem wearing an expensive watch, but I do avoid wearing vintage pieces in mint condition no matter of their value.

I'm feeling some of the pangs already mentioned by some of you in this thread about rare and/or vintage.

In nearly 20 years I doubt I've given the OP's question a second thought, having enjoyed wearing (within the bounds of appropriate use) all of my watches, whatever their price... that is, until the last few months.

After a good few years of casual looking, I finally found and bought an almost perfect 1957 Zenith Cal.135 and in over three months I've not yet worn it outside the house. Just to guild the lily, I recently bought a genuine 1950s NOS Zenith leather strap for it from Italy, and after fitting it, I couldn't even bring myself to put the watch on my wrist because these straps are so rare (and getting rarer every year). So having spent nearly £200 on two spindly pieces of antique, cardboard like leather, I've put them back in their packet and hidden them away in the 135's box.

Then last week I had a brainwave and ordered a similar 80s NOS Zenith strap for £40 from Switzerland, and a £30 NOS Zenith buckle from Argentina (just so I can store away the [you guessed it] very rare original buckle that came with the watch, back in its box) ... and the real madness is, I'll still hardly dare wear the thing... in its condition it's just too blinking rare.

I'm a wIs all right!

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Then may I suggest that you change your signature? Your current "Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence" doesn't seem to sit well with your concerns!
    I relate that to my other other passion - motorbikes. Wearing a MilSub comes nowhere close for me in terms of living the moment with a big grin on ones face.
    Last edited by Chinnock; 16th September 2013 at 14:26.

To be honest, iu really will not feel at my ease to wear a $30,000 plus watch on my hand.

So, I simply do not:)

I would happily wear a platinum DDII as a daily wearer - if anyone wants to give me one to try it out, please feel free.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    I relate that to my other other passion - motorbikes. Wearing a MilSub comes nowhere close for me in terms of living the moment with a big grin on ones face.
    Sometimes wearing gloves can spoil the view.

Mind you this is the best view

Does this bike look big on me.

Last edited by Fords; 16th September 2013 at 16:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post

Does this bike look big on me.

Know the feeling, and they insist on no protective gear. Crazy kids!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am always conscious of scratching an expensive watch. Which can detract from owning one.

Master
    And the best watch for motorcycling is? One that isn't harmed by the vibration? One that's slim enough to fit easily under your cuff/glove. One that won't take (too) big a chunk out of your arm should you have an off? Or one that you can always use to clobber obstructive drivers with :-)

Grand Master
    I'm at the lower end of the tz spectrum, the most expensive i've owned was Omega SMP, but i wore that without fear. I've also worn someone elses Rolex Explorer II for a month and loved every minute of wearing it, in fact i was more wary about it getting nicked if i got burgled than someone trying to take it off me or damaging it whilst wearing it.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Oh no! Not a £13k watch! 92% of WIS would say that is expensive, relatively speaking :)
    Theyd be right. ;)

Craftsman
    Always wore my Bremont MBII (only have 2 watches) without fear including swimming, climbing etc. but repairs to damage I don't even remember doing costing my £200+ have left me getting my old animal out for surfing, climbing, mtb etc. cos I just felt like I'd set alight to £200!!!!!

so for me, buy to wear but I do understand people who collect, just don't have that much spare cash!!!

Master
    So much for Bremont's hardened steel then :)

Seriously, you took a Bremont climbing?! No wonder it got damaged!

Journeyman
    I wore my Submariner 16800 every day between 2008 and 2012 when I sold it and I was pretty comfortable about it. Needles to say that the watch had its share of knocks, small marks, etc.

But sometimes when I wear my Swatch irony automatic, I feel that I don't have anything to be careful about my watch and I like that a lot :-)).

Catalin

Craftsman
    Similar, so I sold everything except a Seiko auto beater and bought a motorbike with the cash.

On the bike I've had experiences, but it didn't have to be a bike, it could have been anything that gets you out doing stuff rather than collecting stuff.

Makes for far more interesting conversations when you talk about what you've done, rather than what you have.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post

Mind you this is the best view

That bike is WAAAY too clean

Master
    I am finding this thread really interesting as I am seriously tempted to buy my first what I would term serious/expensive watch. Discovering this forum a year or so ago rekindled my inner passion for watches and my PRS 82 is now my all time favourite and I derive a lot of please from it but I do take extra care when wearing it.

A Rolex Sub is currently top of my list but not sure I would dare to wear it!!

I am always blown away by the enormous price tags for many of the watches owned by members of this forum. I am always fascinated to read about them and to look at the photos though.

my most expensive watch cost me 4400. An enormous amount of money for me. i wear it like a normal watch, i dont baby it or treat particularly special. I avoid wearing it if i am going to be out on exercise but i do that wth all of my watches. so considering what expensive means to me, i reckon my answer to the question posed in the thread title is: Yes.

the explorer was a bit of a treat. i cant imagine me spending that kind of money again. most of the watches i fancy owning are around 2 grand and one in particular is about 3500. that will most likely be my future top expenditure.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    Similar, so I sold everything except a Seiko auto beater and bought a motorbike with the cash.

On the bike I've had experiences, but it didn't have to be a bike, it could have been anything that gets you out doing stuff rather than collecting stuff.

Makes for far more interesting conversations when you talk about what you've done, rather than what you have.
    Ain't that the truth!

Quick post from the bargain basement

I am not sure I could bring myself to spend more than about £500 on a watch

My current highest value one is the nearly new Alpinist at £280 (stop laughing) and I wear it regularly. The one that would probably upset me most to damage severely would be the Pogue at around £160 but I still wear in at some point every week.

If I could comfortably justify spending more than £500 it would have to be something that I would have no qualms wearing - otherwise whats the point?

Just my 2p's worth (sorry, make that 1p)

My watches are all priceless including the JLC deep sea you flogged me - but it still gets worn.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm a vintage guy... Some of my watches are more than 50 years old.

Some are more expansive than others, but i'm careful with all of them. Just because of the age, i don't take the value in mind often.

So my Rolex 1675 gets the same treatment as my 10 times less expensive Timor WWW. ;) :)

Collection is not about the money...... But about having fun. ;)
    I enjoy them all, without thinking on the value all the time.

Best! Glenn

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think I'd struggle to feel comfortable around 4k too, especially something bling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I wear all my watches. I have around 25, some go some stay, but it is rare that the overall number goes up or down much. Because of the numbers each watch will get a maximum of about two weeks wear in any year, maybe some get a bit more and some a bit less, but around that. As a result I don't see my watches getting worn or tatty. They can easily survive many years of this level of use. My upper values of individual watches are around £12 to 15k (I am talking values to sell on rather than MRPs or what I might get for them with a following wind and having kissed the Blarney stone ) The reason for that upper limit is not to do with comfort zones. I would happily wear a £50 or £60K watch. It is more that there are plenty of watches in that price range to satisfy me and not much that I hanker after in the £50 to £60K price range. There are some in the seriously over £100K price range that I would love to own, but I couldn't afford many of those and I would not be happy with just 2 or 3 watches. I enjoy having lots of watches.
    If there was something I really wanted for £50K I would buy it and I would wear it, and inevitably one day I probably will.
    I agree with much of this, I am debating buying one watch for 25K or two for around half that and I think 15K is around the max I will spend on 1 watch... until I cave and buy a PP 5970 one day.

I take no more care wearing my £4.5k watches than I do with my £50 ones. Having said that I'm always aware I have a watch on my wrist and always try to make sure I don't bash, ding or scrape it whatever it's value.

Journeyman
    Definitely. But I take good care of all my watches.

I had a 4 months old GMTc that looked like it got run over. Amazing, really.

Master
    I had a boutique limited edition Panerai 390 at one point and whilst I loved the simplicity of it, the fact that it was so sought after and that the value kept increasing, deterred me from enjoying it and I flipped it quite quickly as it just sat there in my watch case not getting worn. I felt it was more an object to sell rather than an accessory.

I have worn my share of expensive watches, maximum being a brand new Patek Nautilus, and i didnt feel too uncomfortable with that, so i guess its not really price, but more the cost of replacing, rarity etc that affected me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Theyd be right. ;)
    Expensive doesnt really mean anything though, its a very relative thing....

Banned
    To answer the original question: No.

The cost of the watch adds virtually nothing to my enjoyment of wearing it. I wear watches I like because I like them. I've enjoyed wearing a G shock as much as anything else I've worn.

conversely the cost doesn't put me off wearing a watch either.

I wear watches carefully.Today an Omega PO Chrono.Yesterday a Rolex GMT. Tomorrow I will wear a G shock that cost me £50 because I know wearing anything else would be madness with what I am doing.

Craftsman
    I tend to treat and wear all of my watches the same irrespective of their price tag.
    If I felt that I had to baby the more expensive ones whilst being worn then I'd probably start spending money on fine art.

My daily wearer is a Rolex 16523. So I guess my answer is "YES".

For me it's not an either or question, and the expense is all relative to the cost of other hobbies. I can imagine banging on about motorbikes is a subjective topic for an interesting evening, each to their own.