closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor coming back to UK

Tudor coming back to UK

I picked up a Speedy Pro today and the dealer also stocks Rolex. I asked him about Tudor and his thoughts on them coming back to the UK. He said he thought it would be next year and he had expressed an interest to Rolex to stock them. He had sold two Pelagoses recently and was very enthusiastic about the brand. He felt it would sit well alongside Rolex and was considering dropping one of the brands he stocks to make room for it.

Now I know there is always talk about Tudor returning to the UK but they certainly appear to popular enough currently.

Yes seems to be always coming next year... Can any Rolex dealer order a Tudor in the UK then, as he has sold a few?

Not all AD's can order.

Tudor sounds good, but there are so many boring models that AD's would be forced to hold in stock - this in my opinion is why it failed previously - that and the fact the sports watches did not have their own identity.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Rolex AD's should carry a display and current brochures at least, even if only watches are supplied to order.

Why the brand is hidden from the UK public is beyond me.
    Last edited by burnsey66; 14th September 2013 at 22:03.

The new Black Shield

Attachment 4624

looks fantastic!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Indeed that does look good!

Master
    It would be about time! Tudor has some lovelies in its range. The Ducati / Fastrider watches and the much loved Pegalos are all very distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    The new Black Shield

Attachment 4624

looks fantastic!
    It does indeed, except the BLACK SHIELD written on the dial.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Rolex AD's should carry a display and current brochures at least, even if only watches are supplied to order.

Why the brand is hidden from the UK public is beyond me.
    Well, several years ago the British public rejected it so comprehensively that it withdrew altogether. There is some hope that with its recent reintroduction in the US, Tudor will return to the UK (the only top-30 watch market not to feature the brand). Based on the comments I heard from the Rolex boutique manager formerly of Bond Street, though, I wouldn't be holding my breath!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman
    The Pelagos sure looks really nice. Wonder what the prices will be.

- - - Updated - - -

The Pelagos sure looks really nice. Wonder what the prices will be.

I like Tudor as a brand - in fact I'm wearing one now. But am I right in thinking that there is no watch with a GMT complication in their current range?

Master
    Someone want to explain Tudor to me?
    I know nothing about the brand except it's made by Rolex and uses ETA movements (bespoke tweaks?).
    Came across the 57000 double date (big date), which looks interesting.
    Last edited by PJ S; 16th September 2013 at 13:00.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Someone want to explain Tudor to me?
    I know nothing about the brand except it's made by Rolex and uses ETA movements (bespoke tweaks?).
    Came across the 15000 double date (big date), which looks interesting.
    Tudor is to Rolex as Pulsar is to Seiko.

I went to a rolex evening at my local ad few months ago and was talking to the rolex rep about this and he did say it was going to happen but they haven't decided on how yet. He said the demise of tudor on this country was the introduction of interest free credit.. Before that people brought a tudor as they could not afford to go for a rolex yet and it was a stepping stone watch to a rolex but when interest free credit was readily available people just skipped tudor and went straight for a rolex

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by a-new-hope View Post
    I went to a rolex evening at my local ad few months ago and was talking to the rolex rep about this and he did say it was going to happen but they haven't decided on how yet. He said the demise of tudor on this country was the introduction of interest free credit..
    That's an interesting take - although other brands at the Tudor price range have flourished in the intervening years so I think there is more to the story. Like the US, most people have an issue with it being a "poorman" brand. And, yes, easy risk-free credit means you've no need to take second-best. Elsewhere, it's treated more as just another brand, without the "poorman" baggage.

look forward to it, can't beat the snowflake hour hand.
    imo also reasonably priced

I asked the local Rolex AD recently about sourcing a Pelagos. They had never heard of it and went off to make a phone call.

When they came back they gave me some story about Tudor having sent their "quota" to the UK for 2013 and no more would be available until 2014. They politely said "no chance" when I asked them about stocking Tudor in the future.

It was however obvious I was not dealing with the most well informed shop assistant.

Im looking at sourcing one through iconic now and will save a chunk of cash....

It's a shame really.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Tudor is to Rolex as Pulsar is to Seiko.
    Cheers Mark, but still none the wiser......if I understood Pulsar, then I might.
    Guess I'm going to need more details to plug the gap in my knowledge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Cheers Mark, but still none the wiser......if I understood Pulsar, then I might.
    Guess I'm going to need more details to plug the gap in my knowledge.
    As I see it, Pulsar is about slightly lower cost and an entry point to the range that is intended to appeal to a slightly different buyer than the main Seiko brand's lower end watches. However, this does not necessarily mean lower quality. In Japan, I understand that Alba plays a similar role for Seiko[1].

The above is also roughly how I understand Tudor to relate to Rolex.

Additionally, it seems that in many people's eyes in the past, Tudor suffered from just doing 'cheap' versions of Rolex watches. More recently, as I understand it, Tudor has tried to differentiate with entirely different product offerings (but still keeping itself in the same relative position to Rolex as Pulsar is, as above, to Seiko).

Footnote:-
    1: My impression is that Alba is intended to appeal to a slightly younger audience than that to which Pulsar probably appeals in practice in the UK, as far as I can tell. Then there is J.Springs which is apparently intended to appeal to a trendier ('surfer' image, I read somewhere) young audience. There is also Seiko's even lower end brand, Lorus, but that just complicates matters for our purposes here; Rolex has no comparative sub-brand.

Apprentice
    I wonder whether we have a rather filtered view of Tudor because of their lack of availability here. I've often been impressed with Tudors that people have posted and discussed on the forum, but when I've visited dealers abroad I've been deeply underwhelmed. I can't comment on quality, but so many of the designs are uninspired or plain ugly to my eyes. I come away with the impression that they're a little like Tag Heuer - a few real gems in a mass of models I don't understand why anybody buys.
    Maybe I just need to spend some more time with them. Either way, it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing if they did return to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by ssahyeong View Post
    I wonder whether we have a rather filtered view of Tudor because of their lack of availability here. I've often been impressed with Tudors that people have posted and discussed on the forum, but when I've visited dealers abroad I've been deeply underwhelmed. I can't comment on quality, but so many of the designs are uninspired or plain ugly to my eyes. I come away with the impression that they're a little like Tag Heuer - a few real gems in a mass of models I don't understand why anybody buys.
    Maybe I just need to spend some more time with them. Either way, it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing if they did return to the UK.
    I know what you mean... from far away, a Tudor AD looks like a Rolex AD with the largest stock of Rolex and nowhere to put them, so they're all just crammed into the glass. It looks like endless waves of Datejust and Oyster variation, then there'll be one or two display cases with maybe 2 watches each of the variations this forum cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    I like Tudor as a brand - in fact I'm wearing one now. But am I right in thinking that there is no watch with a GMT complication in their current range?
    I think the Heritage Advisor is a GMT but I'm not 100% certain.

The black shield looks like a stealth fastrider to me.

Journeyman
    It would be great to see them as there are some really distinctive watches. Rolex have some iconic pieces but it is nice to see some variety from the stable.

I can't believe they are not fully supported

I think over the last few years Tudor has tried to re-position itself as a distinct brand rather than being a cut price Rolex. Given that some of the earlier Tudor models had the Rolex coronet on the winder, had Rolex on the case backs, it is little wonder there was the view that it was a poor man's Rolex. I think every watch brand will have a few popular models and then some more marmite items. The AD I spoke to was viewing Tudor as an alternative to Tag Heuer and some of the entry level Omega's.

As someone mentioned above, if an AD had one or two cabinets showcasing the Tudor range and the market wasn't flooded with them, it would keep them a bit more exclusive. I think their re-introduction to the UK was be a good move and assuming the Pelagos is priced around £2,800 it leaves enough space between it and a Rolex sub to occupy different markets.

Although Tudor doesn't interest me, would love to try some on at my local AD just for fun

Grand Master
    The point about Tudor dealers having to offer lots of other less popular (to online forums, anyway) models is well taken, but it does affect other marques too. For every Sub there are a dozen Datejusts and Cellinis, for every PO'n'SpeedyPro there are countless Constellations, automatic Speedmaster limited editions and so forth, for every Monaco a score of Aquaracers.

Yes, the Aeronaut, Hydronaut, Chronautic (more or less predecessors of the Grantour range) and others are unloved here, but they sold elsewhere.

Given that Rolex seems to be retreating to boutiques, I can see former Rolex spots being recycled as Tudor, and being awarded back to jewellery chains. But if they continue to be sniffily regarded as poorman's Rolex, and the market shuns them, they'll be gone again. Personally I can't see them returning, not when the UK (and particularly London) is flooded with so much foreign wealth.

andrew I take your point - but the Date-Just and Omega equivalents sell well in the UK and Europe - the Tudor variants didn't. So we will see a huge stock list of watches from a parent brand that almost invented the no discount mantra -it doesn't bode well, unless the model is substantially changed - and looking at the markets that stock Tudor, this is just not the case.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 16th September 2013 at 15:15.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I actually like this one, http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/a-week-...ge-chrono-blue

wonder if this will be offered in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I picked up a Speedy Pro today and the dealer also stocks Rolex. I asked him about Tudor and his thoughts on them coming back to the UK. He said he thought it would be next year and he had expressed an interest to Rolex to stock them. He had sold two Pelagoses recently and was very enthusiastic about the brand. He felt it would sit well alongside Rolex and was considering dropping one of the brands he stocks to make room for it.

Now I know there is always talk about Tudor returning to the UK but they certainly appear to popular enough currently.
    Big news, thank you!

Craftsman
    Interesting. And here, I thought that Tudor had been in the UK all along, and that just the US was shut out. Well, I can tell you that Tudor's back with a bang here in the States -- they've been on AD shelves since late August, but the official launch event didn't take place until this past Thursday -- and thus far, the word on the street is that they're selling like hot cakes. Needless to say, mid-tier brands like TAG-Heuer, Breitling, Bell & Ross, et al are keeping a very close eye on them.

My personal take is that Tudor will do well, particularly with Rolex's marketing muscle behind them. As it stands, their Heritage Chrono series, Black Bay and Pelagos will most likely be their strongest sellers, with the Fast Rider and Advisor also doing well. Some of their "classic" pieces, like the Date-Day might be tougher sells, though.

Here are some pics from their launch party:

(Rolex president, Stewart Wicht)

The party:

I wore a no-date Blue Snowflake, while my buddy wore a vintage Monte Carlo (our other friend had to photobomb with his IWC 3227-01):

The aforementioned "Date-Day" collection:

(they looked better in person, but still, not my favs by a longshot...)

So, yes, Tudor is making a strong push in the US marketplace, and I can only assume that the UK will follow soon. It will be interesting to see how the brand is re-embraced by these two different countries.

Regards,
    Adam
    Last edited by craniotes; 16th September 2013 at 15:37.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice pics, looks like they pushed the boat out!

Thanks for posting

Prior to the introduction of the Pelagos, Black Bay and the heritage chrono the Tudor range was a pretty shoddy mismatch of design ideas (IMHO) - prior to that the big block Chrono's etc were lovely but in the early 00's they seemed to lose their way. I'd love to see them return to the UK - not in the market for another premium Swiss watch at the moment but I'd far prefer a Pelagos or Black Bay to a ubiquitous Planet Ocean/Seamaster/Tag Heuer etc which now seem to be massively expensive for a boring vanilla watch.

I've always been a fan and recently I have definitely noticed a rise in Tudor appreciators in this forum and beyond.

I quite like the fact that they are less well known. I particularly like the Pelagos and would feel more comfortable wearing one every day compared to a Rolex.

Journeyman
    I really like the Pelagos, it is a very nice diver, and goes under the radar, looks so very well made
    Last edited by chinotop74; 18th September 2013 at 00:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I'd far prefer a Pelagos or Black Bay to a ubiquitous Planet Ocean/Seamaster/Tag Heuer etc which now seem to be massively expensive for a boring vanilla watch.
    +1. Totally agree with these comments.

I think Tudor coming back to the UK can only be good, providing they don't pit the prices up if they do so...

black is the new black

Loving the Black Bay, bold look excellent strong contemorary image very dramatic

Just to add to the weight of this I spoke with my local AD today and he confirmed that Tudor is coming back to the UK next year. Likely to be after Basel. He seemed to think that all Rolex ADs will have to stock Tudor. We'll soon find out...

James

I suspect prices will increase... somethings got to pay for all that PR in the states.. Tudor have been full on with marketing..

Pelagos is a great tool watch.. on my list for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody9811 View Post
    I think Tudor coming back to the UK can only be good, providing they don't pit the prices up if they do so...