closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Casio G Shock v Suuno Vector, for everyday work watch. Which is best?

Casio G Shock v Suuno Vector, for everyday work watch. Which is best?

Hi Guys,

Looking for a new work watch and it needs to be quite sturdy. I know a G Shock will be more than up to the job, but what about a Suunto Vector? Not bothered about functions etc, just needs to withstand a beating.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Master
    The Suunto will be a great watch BUT they're made of plastic, which includes the plexi crystal. There are no replacement parts either. Therefore, for longevity, a g shock will be MUCH better as you can simply swap the band and bezel at any point, plus the crystal is mineral glass which is much more resistant to wear compared to the Suunto.

I suppose what type of beating the watch is going to get in the course of your day at work, I wear a G-Shock at work as it will withstand and does withstand everything that happens to it in my engineering workshop. I like the sunnto brand and watches a lot, however they will not survive long with me. My friend has had a few and said warranty from the company has been great when they go wrong.

I have been wearing G - Shocks for a very long time, never had any problems. In fact my early 90's watch is still going strong.

The Vector's great, but most of the functions will be wasted if it's a work watch, unless your work involves long periods of wandering about in the great outdoors, in previously uncharted territory. And it wouldn't be anything like as robust as a G-Shock.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Suunto is nice for their specific functions and stuff, but nowhere near as tough as a G-Shock.

Master
    If you want all the functions of the Vector (and more actually) in a much rugged, better built package just wait for the GW-9400 Rangeman.
    http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat...k/gw-9400-1er/

Craftsman
    i own a gw-m5600bc. used five weeks in a row in brasil for kiting and surfing. the glass is recessed but it picked up a couple of very tiny marks. also the case rubber cover is not snug as when it was new (between the buttons)

i also own a suunto mariner, same case as the vector, from 2005. i used for months every summer, it took more knocks than the g-shock, and all it has is a scratch to the glass which can be polished. the plastic case lost its colour in some areas and the bezel markings are half gone. despite its wr 30m, it never failed me in the surf, but i replace seal at every battery change

so, even if weight and examination would suggest the casio to be much stronger, my experience is that they are on par, at least for (heavy) water sports, not diving obviously. the compass is usefull, but so are the solar cells. the suunto wears much better in hot weather due to its featherlight weight. also, the strap is first quality, i broke it because of the watchbox, otherwise it is still pliable and flexible after 8 years. i cannot comment on casio as i have it on a bracelet. last, the suunto was double the price as it was, at that time, more fashionable

Grand Master
    Ive put a Suunto Core through the worst conditions known and its still perfect so Id say Suunto Core
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
    If you want all the functions of the Vector (and more actually) in a much rugged, better built package just wait for the GW-9400 Rangeman.
    http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat...k/gw-9400-1er/

Now that is my kind of watch! I bet it's well out of my price range though.

You are all right of course, I was just trying to convince myself to the contrary. I can get a new Vector for £114 on a deal at the moment, but the G Shock that I fancy is still £160.

http://www.heinnie.com/Casio-Watches...235-796-10038/

Thanks.

i have no personal experience of the suunto so my opinion may not carry much weight.

i have a lot of experience with g shocks though, they just keep going, very reliable and won't break under normal use and you can get a good one for not too much money

i would always recommend a g shock for someone wanting a good digi beater

Quote Originally Posted by Darra8 View Post
    Now that is my kind of watch! I bet it's well out of my price range though.

You are all right of course, I was just trying to convince myself to the contrary. I can get a new Vector for £114 on a deal at the moment, but the G Shock that I fancy is still £160.

http://www.heinnie.com/Casio-Watches...235-796-10038/

Thanks.
    it's a big watch, i had to let go a couple of g's because they were too big. if you have decent size wrists you can wear what you like though

Personally wouldn't touch Suunto with a barge pole.

Bought a used Vector, sent it off to Suunto service dept, which in itself is an elaborate process of printing off loads of forms, putting one here, another there, giving the courier some more etc.

Got an email from Suunto some weeks later, with a quote for repair/service, which was more than i could buy a brand new Vector at that time on ebay.

I declined...

They then sent me a quote that i'd have to pay if i wanted them to send my watch back unrepaired, and that quote was more than i paid for the watch.

I told them to stick it.

They stole kept my watch, but now they've lost my business, (And as many people as i ever tell) as i wouldn't ever buy any of their products again.

If you're not bothered about the dedicated functionality of the vector then I don't know why you just don't buy a G . In terms of toughness they have a proven track record and the Suuntos don't .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I'm a noted G aficionado and also have a Suunto Core, I would go with the G all day for everyday, particularly solar atomic variants. Core looks great, has good functionality but it already has a scratch on face. You also could probably get one of the 6900 or 5690/5000 variant solar atomic Gs for much much less than the Vector. No brainer.

A Titanium T-touch is a nice alt' to those already suggested - I have an expert which is brushed titanium so can be easily refinished, has a touch screen sapphire display and is WR to 100m. best part of £700 though!

Gs will probably survive more abuse. Suunto is much nicer and robust enough for most places where your hands stay intact. I have had Suunto HR and wrist computers for ages, and I really like them.

A sidenote, I do not consider HR etc plastics to be watches as such. At least in my house they live next to other sports equipment, not in the watch box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    Personally wouldn't touch Suunto with a barge pole.

Bought a used Vector, sent it off to Suunto service dept, which in itself is an elaborate process of printing off loads of forms, putting one here, another there, giving the courier some more etc.

Got an email from Suunto some weeks later, with a quote for repair/service, which was more than i could buy a brand new Vector at that time on ebay.

I declined...

They then sent me a quote that i'd have to pay if i wanted them to send my watch back unrepaired, and that quote was more than i paid for the watch.

I told them to stick it.

They stole kept my watch, but now they've lost my business, (And as many people as i ever tell) as i wouldn't ever buy any of their products again.
    Good grief. That's bloody terrible, and deserves more publicity than it'll get on this thread.

Think I might go for this.

http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/Casio-G...+100+1AER.html

Good price at the moment too.

Both are good enough for work I suppose.

I'm a mechanic and MOT tester and I wear a G shock GW5000 1JF. Bought a digital Seiko before the G for work but cracked the screen within a week.
    Last edited by asimH; 15th September 2013 at 10:50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darra8 View Post
    Think I might go for this.

http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/Casio-G...+100+1AER.html

Good price at the moment too.

I purchased this for £60 yesterday as I need a severe tooler for my new job.

It's back up to £99 today.

I fell lucky there, it must be said.