closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New ROBOCOP movie

Master

New ROBOCOP movie

New trailer has been released at last and it looks ace.

It seems an emphasis on whether human-controls-machine or machine-controls-man which looks like a nice angle.
    Not sure about the new paint-job.

Good trailer though. "Dead or alive, you're coming with me..."

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...jlPfrCZJn2Thig

I also had a look, let's see how it goes - it does though reiterate my own belief that Hollywood has either run out of ideas or too scared to spend big money on new/original projects that we are seeing rehashed franchises. Maybe they nail it here with a deeper story than the standard sci-fi/tech garbage

I hope it's better than the last Verhoeven remake i.e. Total Recall - OMG it was gash!

I have just watched it and agree that it looks great, at least in trailer form. Some great film actors, an interesting angle and some bang-up-to-date methods of portraying the future.

Interesting director but the film is rumored to be a PG-13 so less blood and naughty words.

Cooool :-)

The scene where ED209 shoots all the people in the board room was the 1st 18 cert movie bit I saw when I was about 13. It scared the living bejesus out of me!!

looks like a nice classic reboot, saw some pictures in empire magazine and robocop looked pretty mean in black armour.
    not sure if you can still shoot him in the mouth tho?

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

The scene where ED209 shoots all the people in the board room was the 1st 18 cert movie bit I saw when I was about 13. It scared the living bejesus out of me!!
    Ha, SNAP!

Except I think I was 11, and remember the scene where he's sniffing coke off the naked hookers pretty clearly, as well as when Murphy gets murdered at the beginning

Quite a thrilling movie, and reckon when I have kids I'll make it their first 18 experience too :-D

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    Interesting director but the film is rumored to be a PG-13 so less blood and naughty words.
    It appears you are right. PG-13!!! I was really looking forward to it until I saw that.

Haha - was going to say the same - first '18' fillum I saw :)

They have something wrong in the synopsis though - "America in the year 2028, drones winning American wars worldwide, the mega corporations want to deploy them to keep watch domestically"

They don't mean 2028, they mean 2013....

I don't hold out too much hope. The original was ace. A sardonic, satirical gem. This looks a bit...cgi.

Besides the human-controls-machine bit was all there in the original.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

He shoots one person in the boardroom...........

Sorry!

"You have 20 seconds to comply."

"Buy the new Yamaha sports heart!"

"Madam, you have suffered an emotional shock. I will notify a rape crisis centre."

There must be dozens of brilliant one-liners in that film.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    I'd buy that for a dollar!
    Was going to quote the same line!

The trailer does the job of promoting the film well, but a 13?? Really???

Shame.

Master
    Jury is out for me based on that trailor. I loved the original. It is a bit like the remake of Conan the Barbarian. I haven't even watched the remake because the John Milius version with Arnie was epic IMHO.

Master
    The original was an absolute classic. The second film was good but I thought the third was garbage so plenty of damage has already been done for me.
    Happy to give the reboot a chance - certainly more so than Total Recall which would have been a much better film if they'd called it something else.

One abiding memory I have of the original is a cut version they showed on the BBC where they'd overdubbed the swearing but kept in all the violence. Which was a bit bizarre in terms of priorities.

Back to the new version - I do think they've made it a bit too iron man suit rather than cyborg looking though.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    He shoots one person in the boardroom...........

Sorry!
    Yes, but he does empty all of the ammo into the one person... There is a great line just after that at the end of the scene along the lines of "Can someone call a paramedic"...

The remake is utterly pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I also had a look, let's see how it goes - it does though reiterate my own belief that Hollywood has either run out of ideas or too scared to spend big money on new/original projects that we are seeing rehashed franchises. Maybe they nail it here with a deeper story than the standard sci-fi/tech garbage
    I agree. The original is a classic. Why the need to remake/reboot it other than to milk the brand for every last penny. The trailer doesn't look all that interesting to me. It doesn't seem to add anything, other than taking the subtler hard sci-fi elements of the original and turning them into an obvious cliché that's easier for the lazy minded to understand, without leaving any difficult question in the mind of the viewer.

I don't even think the SFX and design has much going for it compared to the original. The Robocop suit and ED-209 are both iconic. What now, some more clichéd "modern" smoothing off, that looks indistinguishable from Tron, or pretty much anything else done with CGI lately.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    Do we really need naughty words? I teach children with behavioural problems. If you were being told to F-off every 5 minutes, you wouldnt be asking for more naughty words in films. That sort of language in films is why its seen as acceptable by impressionable children.

Quote Originally Posted by mav66 View Post
    Do we really need naughty words? I teach children with behavioural problems. If you were being told to F-off every 5 minutes, you wouldnt be asking for more naughty words in films. That sort of language in films is why its seen as acceptable by impressionable children.
    The problem is any unrealistic lack of naughty words in portrayed situations where they would be appropriate. Children of a certain age probably shouldn't be exposed to those situations anyway. The naughty words are largely irrelevant. If you have a supposedly hard-hitting film toned down to avoid upsetting the kids, then all you have is a film that is neither appropriate for kids, nor a good film anymore.

I suspect that the kids you work with don't get their behavioural problems from age-appropriate movies anyway. I suspect their parents and their peers are much stronger influences, and they're probably getting exposed to a lot of things they shouldn't through various channels.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mav66 View Post
    I think the swearing is a big part of the originals success. It's a gritty movie in a time when scumbags are taking over. Swearing was appropriate for that movie.
    Impressionable children really shouldn't be watching adult content movies anyway. I don't see why the wider public has to watch a movie that had been toned down because some parents don't care if their children watch content that they are not of an age to.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I think the swearing is a big part of the originals success. It's a gritty movie in a time when scumbags are taking over. Swearing was appropriate for that movie.
    Impressionable children really shouldn't be watching adult content movies anyway. I don't see why the wider public has to watch a movie that had been toned down because some parents don't care if their children watch content that they are not of an age to.
    Yes, I do understand what you are saying. I suppose I am bemoaning society in general. I know that Eddie has complained many times about the language on this forum, and I completely agree with him.

I suppose it's the way society is these days, such a shame IMHO.

Master
    Looks dreadful to me, the first Robocop has stuck with me from the first time I saw it (and I was underage) it didnt make me go out and swear, but it did make me want to be a robot!.

This remake looks absolutely awful though, he looks like a souped up Streethawk, not Robocop.

Why oh why did they they not cover his mouth? If i was a bad guy i would shoot him in his mouth. What if he took a stray bullet? Meh!