closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever been robbed?

Ever been robbed?

No, nothing to do the SC.
    One of my fears is being targeted and mugged because of the watch I wear. I believe that I was selected by a team of pickpockets in Madrid some years back because my Explorer II was sending out the wrong vibs. My better watches are being worn less because of the experience.
    Has anyone been mugged for their watches?

Master
    Nope. And I'm pretty thankful for that.

No, felt uncomfortable on a couple of occasions (usually overseas).

Bernie Ecclestone has........

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

... except they nicked his JLC.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Banned
    I bought a Seiko once, after reading on here they were dead good. I was robbed

No, seriously, I was mugged (from behind) some years ago, walking to my car after picking up my watch from an AD after servicing. They were probably watching the AD, but walking with a fancy bag didn't help.

Also, our house was burgled. They knew I collected watches and went straight for them. You try to keep private, but there's forums, your kids, etc.

I was robbed in Buenos Aires in the middle of the day on the busiest street by motochorros.

I lost a Panerai 111.

Not for a watch but on a recent trip to India I started to get unwelcome glances at my gold bracelet, so much so that my wife insisted on cancelling what we were out for that day to go home, she then insisted that the bracelet be taken off for the remainder of the trip.

A few days later I heard a horrific story of an elderly lady who used to wake up early to go and the temple at around 5am in the morning who disappeared one morning. She was found a few days later, robbed of all her jewellery and they'd cut her hands and fingers off to get some of the items off.

I travel extensively overseas and would never wear an expensive watch for that very reason.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I spend 6 months a year overseas, usually Asia , not been mugged yet in fact have always been helped back to my hotel when pissed! With my watch and wallet secure.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I spend 6 months a year overseas, usually Asia , not been mugged yet in fact have always been helped back to my hotel when pissed! With my watch and wallet secure.

Mike
    That's because your watch actually looks like its been used as a hammer a mile underwater
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quite a few years ago while at the mardis gras in New Orleans there was a tourist murdered for his video camera after wandering into an area we had all been warned to keep away from, on another occasion a chap on the same tour as us was mugged at knifepoint for a few dollars in Miami, Im'e either lucky or a jinx!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    That's because your watch actually looks like its been used as a hammer a mile underwater

Ha ha, have to say jase the fakes I see seem to have had an easier life!!!

I had a "brutha" who was built like Mike Tyson pull a knife on me in the Red Light district in Amsterdam and demand my wallet but he didn't get it.

Sad state of affairs, but if I am wearing short sleeves my more exotic (expensive) watches stay in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    I had a "brutha" who was built like Mike Tyson pull a knife on me in the Red Light district in Amsterdam and demand my wallet but he didn't get it.
    Was there 70s style Starsky and Hutch music playing in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Was there 70s style Starsky and Hutch music playing in the background?
    No unfortunately there was not, it was a quiet side street and he sneaked up beside me and stuck the knife in my side before i even had a chance to turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by TikTokTrev View Post
    Sad state of affairs, but if I am wearing short sleeves my more exotic (expensive) watches stay in the safe.
    Indeed. It's not right that we have to match our watches to th neighbourhood rather than our outfits.
    These days I feel most relaxed when walking around wearing a G-Shock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    No, felt uncomfortable on a couple of occasions (usually overseas).

Bernie Ecclestone has........

...and the unfathomable thing is that someone would want to steal a Hublot.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    ... except they nicked his JLC.

wikipedia says.. 'The image of Ecclestone's bruised face was later used in an advertisement by Hublot, the makers of the stolen watch, with the slogan "See what people will do for a Hublot".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I bought a Seiko once, after reading on here they were dead good. I was robbed

No, seriously, I was mugged (from behind) some years ago, walking to my car after picking up my watch from an AD after servicing. They were probably watching the AD, but walking with a fancy bag didn't help.

Also, our house was burgled. They knew I collected watches and went straight for them. You try to keep private, but there's forums, your kids, etc.

My security device for transporting watches, + look like you sell the big Issue.

It works as well. Mark Blowers can vouch for that
    Last edited by Fords; 10th September 2013 at 12:32.

Craftsman
    Luckily never had an experience as some here on the forum, altough I did loose a Rolex SD in the mail on the way to the buyer, luckily it was insured but still a bad experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    Luckily never had an experience as some here on the forum, altough I did loose a Rolex SD in the mail on the way to the buyer, luckily it was insured but still a bad experience...
    Really?

Master
    A friend of mine was mugged for his fake rolex back in the late '80s when we were students. (the fake was so bad that it occasionally ran backwards), my friend was in a bad mood that day and kicked the would-be mugger so hard in the pods that he lifted him off the ground.

Is it only me who wants to hear more about this encounter?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    I'm all for giving a kicking to English native speakers who cannot spell or punctuate, but I think we can a bit more tolerant of mistakes from our friends whose mother-tongue is not English. I suspect it would be difficult for many here to make any kind of contribution to a Dutch or German forum.

Master
    No unfortunately there was not, it was a quiet side street and he sneaked up beside me and stuck the knife in my side before i even had a chance to turn around.
    Were you caught with your pants down ?

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Quite a few years ago while at the mardis gras in New Orleans there was a tourist murdered for his video camera after wandering into an area we had all been warned to keep away from, on another occasion a chap on the same tour as us was mugged at knifepoint for a few dollars in Miami, Im'e either lucky or a jinx!
    A bloke I used to work with was a self-defence expert with contracts to train the Police and Armed Forces, martial artist and general hard-barstard. He was also the 'victim' of an attempted mugging at Mardi Gras. His item of choice to defend himself with was a pen and he always, always carried one with him.

This dude approached him in a side street, waving a knife at him and demading his wallet. His attempt to talk his way out of it failed and he felt in enough danger to have to take evasive action. He agreed to give him his wallet and said it was in his jacket pocket. He opened his jacket and took out his pen....and jammed it through the blokes throat.

Danger over.

He did go and find a Police Officer and led him to the incident.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    A bloke I used to work with was a self-defence expert with contracts to train the Police and Armed Forces, martial artist and general hard-barstard. He was also the 'victim' of an attempted mugging at Mardi Gras. His item of choice to defend himself with was a pen and he always, always carried one with him.

This dude approached him in a side street, waving a knife at him and demading his wallet. His attempt to talk his way out of it failed and he felt in enough danger to have to take evasive action. He agreed to give him his wallet and said it was in his jacket pocket. He opened his jacket and took out his pen....and jammed it through the blokes throat.

Danger over.

He did go and find a Police Officer and led him to the incident.
    The retailers that sell mad combat knives often sell "tactical pens" made of super hard metal, which clearly have a second intended use beyond writing.

A friend of mine, who knows about this kind of thing from the work he used to do for Her Majesty, told me the three rules of self defence; in the true sense of the word - defending your person from physical harm.

1. Walk away
    2. If you can't walk away, run away.
    3. If you can't run away use explosive, debilititating violence - aim for throat, eyes or gonads, anything to remove the possibility of your attacker being capable of landing a blow because his agony will be too great.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    A friend of mine, who knows about this kind of thing from the work he used to do for Her Majesty, told me the three rules of self defence; in the true sense of the word - defending your person from physical harm.

1. Walk away
    3. If you can't run away use explosive, debilititating violence - aim for throat, eyes or gonads, anything to remove the possibility of your attacker being capable of landing a blow because his agony will be too great.
    That. And you'll only need a few seconds of 3 in most cases. Then you can resort to 2. Simples eh

Banned
    I was a bit worse for wear in a club one night, relaxing on a couch. I opened my eyes to catch 2 blokes opposite looking at me and whispering to each other.
    I may have been paranoid, but their reaction on being caught looking, convinced me that they fancied the Heuer I was wearing.
    I've never sobered up so quick in my life, giving them dirty looks and it did put a downer on the rest of the night.

I did train in several martial arts, but it was a long time ago and I'm only 10st wet.

Master
    I don't reckon most people would fancy a pop at me as I'm on the 'well built' side (a complete wus though) but I did use to regularly wake up in Peckham Bus Garage in the early hours and occasionally it would be minus something. Once it was the Seiko 6309 that my parents had bought for my 18th birthday which had to be replaced the following day.

I shudder when I think what totally fubar'ed states I used to stagger round Peckham in on my way back from the city. Very lucky.

Never been robbed but have certainly pulled my sleeve over a watch on many occasions. I don't know if it's age or paranoia but I often wear a cheap watch now when I'm out as I just don't feel a safe on the streets of London as I used to. I'm quite a big bloke - everyone asks me if I play Rugby etc - but lets be honest faced with a few blokes and a knife I'd be stupid not to just hand over what they want. Just hope the red mist doesn't descend if I'm ever in this situation - I'd probably just leg it if I could - but all this talk of Ł13k watches recently puts it in perspective for me, I just think you'd be taking a big risk wearing a watch like that outside of your office or your front room.

[QUOTE=SimonK;2856160]A friend of mine, who knows about this kind of thing from the work he used to do for Her Majesty, told me the three rules of self defence; in the true sense of the word - defending your person from physical harm.

1. Walk away
    3. If you can't run away use explosive, debilititating violence - aim for throat, eyes or gonads, anything to remove the possibility of your attacker being capable of landing a blow because his agony will be too great.[/QUOTE]

As a one legged chap, I take great care as to where I use cash points or when I am out late at night. On the way home from the cinema a chap followed me and asked to use my phone. I gave him my best pissed off look and said no, he was drunk so did not get the message he asked again. I limped off but he caught up with me at the traffic lights. I turned and screamed f... off before I rip your throat out...he got the message and asked that I did not hurt him.
    I think being vocal probably saved me from being attacked, be loud especially at night it may bring others to your aid!

Master

1. Walk away
    All correct. Don't be a hero - take yourself and the watch away rapidly and safely if possible.

Shouting is an often overlooked effective weapon, especially if an attacker thinks you are in a secluded place - a lung busting "BACK OFF !! " in someone's face will draw attention and usually make them step back, so increasing the separation and giving you scope to take flight.

And 3a. If there is more than one of them, and you cant walk / run away, then get your first big shot into the one who is in charge / is doing all the talking / is the most confident. You have ( slightly) better odds then of the others taking flight or backing off if their leader / role model has been floored by you.

PS. I remember this as one of the funniest sketches I have ever seen.

I think it would take a very desperate thief to pick me as a victim (I'm a 1.95 metres, 130 kilos pacifist). So far, it did not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    I think it would take a very desperate thief to pick me as a victim (I'm a 1.95 metres, 130 kilos pacifist). So far, it did not happen.
    Me too, because I'm 1.80metres and 70kg and dress like a tramp.

A couple of shady chaps in Birmingham tried to rob me when I was walking out of New Street station some years back but they were spectacularly unsuccessful and had a fair bit of time afterwards to think on the error of their ways. I must try to remember where I put the brass kubaton that saved me on that occasion.

About 30 years ago I was walking home from a club, when a Vauxhall Royale suddenly stopped in the middle of the road ahead of me.
    Out stepped one of the local football firm to 'ask me the time'. I knew what was coming next so started to run, the car reversed down the road and two more jumped out. One stuck a knife in my neck and demanded my watch (an old Keinzle) and my money. I only had about 30p which I threw on the road, elbowed the knife holder in the face and ran. Luckily for me my flat was nearby and they didn't bother to follow me.
    They didn't realise that I knew who they were, or that I knew other members of their gang. Nothing was done, but they never came near me again.

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    Me too, because I'm 1.80metres and 70kg and dress like a tramp.
    Despite my avatar, I'm not exactly a fashionista either (khaki and olive green will do perfectly in most situations imo), so I suppose that helps along :)

PS: I guess both our avatars are not quite representative for the clothing choices.

Master
    Interesting tale about the effectiveness of shouting- A few years ago myself and a couple of colleagues were staying at a very upmarket London hotel, we had been there about 4 weeks and there was regular high level meetings that took place on the top floor, even Maggie T was spotted once. It became obvious to us that there was a permenant undercover security presence, possibly special branch or whatever but not the usual hotel security. There was always one on duty and they would sit on the same table in the restaurant and have the same room which happened to be on the third floor where I was, this particular week it was a woman, an absolute stunner, very fit looking who completely ignored any admiring glances etc. This particular night I left my room to go down to the restaurant and found myself following some 10yards behind her and she in turn was about 5yards behind a group of business men. They all entered the lift and as I headed towards it thinking this is my chance to get near her she dropped down on one knee, stretched out her arm with the flat of her hand pointing directly at me and screamed at the top of her voice 'THIS LIFT IS GOING TO THE TOP', I think it was the surprise but I nearly crapped myself and just stood there watching the lift doors close. A bit overkill but just pleased I hadnt upset her!!

All I can add to this is please don't try and be a hero. No matter how big you are, how often you go to the gym or how many martial art classes you have been to.

The amount of times I have come across blokes who would normally easily hold their own getting taken out by a pack or because they were drunk or the other lot were tooled up is ridiculous.

Seriously, is your watch or phone really worth it?

Craftsman
    I have been pickpocketed before, on my birthday no less. It was unfortunate as I'd taken out 180 francs earlier that day for my night out, but my friends hadn't let me pay for anything so the bugger made off with the lot.

On another night some young lads decided that between the 7 of them, they would take a few cracks at me. My pride prevented me from legging it in the first place, and to be honest their punches were rather weak so I was quite happy to take them. But then they cornered me and one of them (the smallest of course) decided this would be a good opportunity to demand my wallet. It was at this point that stingyness overpowered pride and I picked the little shit up, dumped him on his back and raced off down the street to safety.

Nope, never been targeted. Even my friends and family find me scary LOL.

Been attacked twice ( in a life with adequate access to odd parts of cities). Discovered I seem to have a 'berserker' gene which only operates under dire threat. No idea what really happens, but one onlooker suggested afterwards that it looks impressive. Fortunately, the 'run like f**k at first opportunity' gene is pretty strong as well...

They may have been after watches; didn't stop to ask..

So, given he had a knife to your side and the advantage of surprise, how come he didn't get your wallet?
    Is there a kung fu story about to unfold?

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia
    Another forum stabbing victim here.
    In fact it was 18 years ago today.

My fake Tag, of the time, had nothing to do with it.
    Just your average sunny Sunday afternoon Jo'burg attempted murder ;0)

Rowan Atkinson's old Barclaycard(?) ads actually saved my life as I had to pass a financial fitness interview as I lay in a pool of blood holding my back together.
    Remembering that my cards insurance should pay for anything was the only reason they finally called in the air ambulance/helicopter.

1. Walk away
    Pretty much this.

Craftsman
    Scarry topic!

Quote Originally Posted by sebastien1985 View Post
    Scarry topic!
    Definitely will be when the stab wounds have healed up!