closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vespas and an old German

Vespas and an old German

Hiya folks,
    It's ages since I had anything interesting to post, been busy stay at home dad-ing and continuing the house renovations in any spare time I've had. Hopefully this will get me back on track.
    Another thing that has occupied my time over the last few years has been a ridiculous ongoing family feud which has just reached a head and resulted in my dad being given 3 months to vacate his house. Apart from the injustice of it all and the need to find him somewhere else to live, it also means that I need to move my junk that he has been storing in one of his sheds.
    On the surface this might sound reasonably simple, however, the junk includes 2 scooters, we live in different countries and 900 miles apart.
    I'm brassic at the mo' and after pricing all the options I could think of, I have calculated that driving to the UK and buying a second-hand bike trailer on arrival (that I can flog once back home) is the cheapest way. I would only have to pay for fuel and the Channel crossings. So a few, hopefully quick, sales are in order to fund the trip.

Back to the scooters. The first is a P150X that is in a dire state, it sat in an open shed for the last 20 years and was crash damaged to start with. I had the crash in '86 and with the insurance, bought a brand new frame and had it painted. Before I could complete the project I landed a job in London and headed off down there on my P200E. I'd already half stripped the P150 before I got around to taking pics, you know how it is, get into something and get halfway through before thinking "bugger I should document this". The red frame was crash-damaged, the spotty mudguard and forks are pinched off another scrapped scoot.

Digging out all the bits I was pleased to find that although the original was rotten, the new parts have faired really well. I de-seized the engine and got it started, then swapped all cables and the wiring loom over to the new frame and bolted it all together (in just under a week).

As the only tools I had were the contents of my dad's kitchen drawers and a hastily bought socket set, plus he lives in the middle of nowhere and I had no transport, I had to leave some old parts on. Notably the front mudguard, sprayed lawnmower green as it was the only paint I could find in the garage! It needs restripping once I get it home, to replace the engine mounts and polish up the alloy bits, but mechanically it is fine and runs well.

Moving on to the second scoot. I bought this in the mid '80s. It had sat in the little showroom of an old garage for most of my schooldays and I used to look at it through the window on my way home. now and again it would have a handwritten for sale sign on it, but it never sold. I loved the form and it became a bit of a dream to own one.
    I got into scooters, started my apprenticeship and continued to see the scoot as I rode past on my Vespa on the way to pubs and mates houses nearby. One day on receiving a bonus, i decided to buy it. The reason it never sold was that the fella in the garage never really wanted to sell it, after going in every week for a few weeks he finally gave in and for the enormous sum (in '85 i could have bought a mini) of £350, it was mine.
    So here it is, a 1959 NSU Prima MkIII KL, unrestored but still in top nick.

So the race is on, raise enough funds, get trailer, hack over to the UK before it's too late.

All the best

Andy

That Prima is a beauty. They are the best lines i've seen on a scooter.
    It's in excellent condition for its age too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    That Prima is a beauty. They are the best lines i've seen on a scooter.
    It's in excellent condition for its age too.
    Cheers Rob,

I do love it. It needs a stator rewind and new clutch plates before I can get it going, but I cant wait to say "OK Venus, let's go" (it has always reminded me of the flying scooters in Fireball XL5).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ifS2nP53Zs

cheers

Andy

That NSU is in good nick, a very Germanic style of scooter.

My friends brother was into the Bella which look a bit similar IMO.

Well done on the P150!
    Cheers,
    Neil.