closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A lesson in vintage

A lesson in vintage

These two watches have taught me a very important lesson when it comes to vintage, and one that has altered my whole perception of what I like. I've spent the last couple of years looking for old watches that are so pristine that they might never have been worn, but throughout that time I've been missing the point.

I love these watches so much, and part of the reason is that wearing them feels like I've inherited their history - because you can see that history at a glance. In fact, this has struck home to such an extent that I'll almost certainly move on my NOS Autavia GMT and replace it with something that looks... well, a bit older.

Funny game, this.

yip old and meant to be worn , I have my 16760 fat lady it isn't mint but it gets worn and used everyday
    got marks all over bracelet and head but its just right for me :)

Master
    Nice photo.

I find there's a point at which point a vintage watch starts to look less 'aged' and becomes a little bit over-distressed. It was for that reason that I had the hands replaced on my '60s Seamaster. The dial had developed a nice subtle patina, but the hands just looked corroded.

To be honest, and going by the photo alone of course, for me the Breitling has gone past that point a little bit. The patchy discoloration to the dial would irritate me a bit, especially when the case is in such lovely condition.

The Speedy looks fantastic.

Apprentice
    I hope I get there soon! I'm still of the 'as new as possible' phase, and suspect your approach would be somewhat kinder on the wallet!

Banned
    When I read your comment on another thread, in respect of seeking a full set (box, papers etc.), I realised the watch collector had gone and the appreciator is now in play.

Watch your collection change now mate!

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Nice photo.

I find there's a point at which point a vintage watch starts to look less 'aged' and becomes a little bit over-distressed. It was for that reason that I had the hands replaced on my '60s Seamaster. The dial had developed a nice subtle patina, but the hands just looked corroded.

To be honest, and going by the photo alone of course, for me the Breitling has gone past that point a little bit. The patchy discoloration to the dial would irritate me a bit, especially when the case is in such lovely condition.

The Speedy looks fantastic.
    Ironically, I love the 806 far more than the one I owned previously and which had a much more "perfect" dial; on the wrist it "glows" warmly and looks just like it should, to my mind. I do agree, though, that there's a point at which a watch just becomes knackered, and that doesn't interest me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    When I read your comment on another thread, in respect of seeking a full set (box, papers etc.), I realised the watch collector had gone and the appreciator is now in play.

Watch your collection change now mate!
    Yeah, that's exactly what's happened, Steve.

Apprentice

Wabi-sabi

One is reminded of the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi). It is the imperfections, the transience of life that makes it more interesting. If you're lucky, those watches will have a little more character (imperfections added from you wearing them) when you pass them on to someone else (the transience of owning objects).

Beautiful photograph by the way.
    Last edited by gogoplata; 8th September 2013 at 16:55. Reason: punctuation

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh dear

That's a great photo by the way... I'm worried, Speedmasters I've always loved but I'm starting to look at Breitilings more since I keep seeing photos like this, this way leads financial ruin !

I agree wholeheartedly Tony, watches are to be worn, not locked away. I must admit that your 806 does look rather good.

Grand Master
    Dibs on the Ed White when its goes for sale
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by gogoplata View Post
    One is reminded of the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi). It is the imperfections, the transience of life that makes it more interesting. If you're lucky, those watches will have a little more character (imperfections added from you wearing them) when you pass them on to someone else (the transience of owning objects).

Beautiful photograph by the way.
    I started having this discussion with the wife this week, as a lead up to replacing the carpet in our house with wooden floors. My brother is warning us to consider what our dog Lucy's claws will do to a wood floor, particularly since she's skittish and prone to the "zoomies" (dog owners will know what I'm referring to).

But my brother wants everything looking perfect and new forever. Life happens to things and they take on the signs of age (I know I have). It can impart a special beauty that new things just don't have. I've explained to the wife that we will re-finish the floors as necessary, but that they will not look perfect and new forever unless we install them and then board up the house and move out.

Some of my favorite watches are my oldest watches. They show the signs of wear, just like you would expect a fifty year old object to do. Hmmmmm... I think I'll go grab that old Doxa right now, since you brought it up!

Master
    I used to look for "pristine" watches but found that I end up with a collection of watches which I don't wear because I don't want to damage them! here's my wearer:-

It has a Landeron 48, which keeps spot on time and because it looks old, it gets far more positive comments than my "pristine" ones which folk think are just new "homages"!
    Mike

Master
    My way of thinking,its a matter of personal taste but i do like the condition of a watch to reflect its history (up to a point)rather than 'as new' .On other hand i was happy to send Omega Marine Chronometer and Omega Speedmaster lcd to STS for full refurb so perhaps depends on the watch.But each to his own.

Master
    Buying a Speedy like that imbues legacy rights. Trouble is with 90+ of us on this site (me included) look for the best of the year, eg hardly used commands more £ than worn. So we build an industry potentially of swapping safe queens or like me taking my sub off when i do basic manual tasks , motorbike, garden , bike etc.

Is it because we buy minter watches because they are liquid, we wear , we dont like we flip hopefully without a £ penalty

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    I started having this discussion with the wife this week, as a lead up to replacing the carpet in our house with wooden floors. My brother is warning us to consider what our dog Lucy's claws will do to a wood floor, particularly since she's skittish and prone to the "zoomies" (dog owners will know what I'm referring to).
    I'm well acquainted with the 'zoomies' and the resulting havoc.

I wholeheartedly support your move to wooden floors. Not only are they easier to maintain and more resistant to stains (esp. with dogs), but a well-worn and well maintained hardwood floor is a thing of beauty. When my local pub tore up their 100 year old floorboards (to make way for laminate, of all things) I purchased a table made from the planks. Several coats of stain and varnish later and it is one of my prized possessions.
    Last edited by gogoplata; 8th September 2013 at 18:31. Reason: spelling

I am all for a bit of wear and tear and the historical associations that come with it but... I prefer it to be my wear and tear and my known historical, and sometimes emotional, associations rather than the purchased and imagined history of strangers.

These days I find myself still drawn to classic historical (or heavily influenced) designs but in the form of reissues and recreations that I can invest with my own history.
    Gray

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    These two watches have taught me a very important lesson when it comes to vintage, and one that has altered my whole perception of what I like. I've spent the last couple of years looking for old watches that are so pristine that they might never have been worn, but throughout that time I've been missing the point.

I love these watches so much, and part of the reason is that wearing them feels like I've inherited their history - because you can see that history at a glance. In fact, this has struck home to such an extent that I'll almost certainly move on my NOS Autavia GMT and replace it with something that looks... well, a bit older.

Funny game, this.

I couldn't agree more. One slightly older and one slightly younger but both can tell some tales for sure!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Tony, we are now very much on the same page. My (ex your) 1665 just suits me fine for all occasions.

Couldn't agree more; I wear Vintage all the time, I would not consider purchasing a new watch at this stage apart from perhaps the Zenith El Primero, yes, you guessed it, Vintage 1969.. Also, good excuse to post another pic of an old well used 806!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    My way of thinking,its a matter of personal taste but i do like the condition of a watch to reflect its history (up to a point)rather than 'as new' .On other hand i was happy to send Omega Marine Chronometer and Omega Speedmaster lcd to STS for full refurb so perhaps depends on the watch.But each to his own.
    I'd noticed your preference for minty vintage Tony - I understood it to an extent, but I agree with the Doc it depends on the watch... Like the Doc I prefer my Marine Chronometer post a little brush up from STS, that particular watch doesn't wear 'wear' well, if you see what I mean! :)

The two in your post definitely benefit from showing their age, I much prefer the look of your Ed White with the worn bezel than the service replacement that was on it originally...

I also agree that there is a point beyond which a watch just looks knackered.

Rob

Master
    To get your NOS Autavia GMT to look a bit more worn/older you could just wear for a bit. A radical solution.......

Welcome to the LightSide, Tony - they're meant to be worn and although I love a minty watch as much as the next chap, I hate being too worried about dings to wear them. I rarely buy brand-new watches for exactly this reason (and a general love of vintage, if I'm being honest!)

[/QUOTE]

Now that is nice!!

Grand Master
    As with many aspects of watch collecting/ownership, I have my own set of rules....... with so many exceptions they become meaningless!

Looking at the OP's watches, the Speedy looks 'right' to me whereas the Breitling looks a bit more tired than I`d like to see. I would never advocate replacing the dial on the Speedy simply because the lume has aged, that would be sacrilege. Anyone wanting a new-looking Speedy can go out and find one easily enough, if that's the look they're after. The fact that the hands are whiter than the markers doesn`t matter.......that's the way they age. Same with old Rolex sports watches.

However.......when it comes to dress watches I like to see them looking as new and sharp as possible; in many cases they need the dial refinishing, hands replating /replacing, and the case refinishing to get that look back. Sometimes a dial will have genuine patina, with a slight even discolouration caused by the laquer yellowing, but in most cases they look spotty and scruffy. That's not patina, that's straightforward tarnish/deterioration and it doesn`t look good in my eyes. Totally different ball-game with divers and chronos, though!

As for the concept of 'originality'....we could debate that for hours.

Paul

You'll never convey how magnificent that 806 is in a photograph Tony. It looks a belter on the screen but in the metal it's sublimely beautiful.

Grand Master
    The gradual discoloration of luminous paint as it ages can look perfectly nice (if you don't mind the loss of luminescence) but when it starts going too brown, or develop black spots, it has this fungal/spore look that I find very off-putting. Equally, if paint fades over time through exposure to UV, that's one thing, but if stuff starts flaking or falling off, it's time to chuck it out or get it repaired.

Many old watches have lume which ends up going jet black as a result of condensation, which means you can't see the markers at all. Each to his own, indeed, but I certainly wouldn't want one in that condition!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Cool. I'll take the GMT then...

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    You'll never convey how magnificent that 806 is in a photograph Tony. It looks a belter on the screen but in the metal it's sublimely beautiful.
    I know, Duncan - the comments about it being too "aged" do make me smile, though. Anyway, as I won't ever be able to show how wonderful it looks, I'll just have to keep it

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Cool. I'll take the GMT then...
    It's spoken for, Omar

Master
    Blog Entries
    Vintage definately need character, otherwise whats the point right? it should be what it is, an old watch thats been used but looked after. You want all the stlying of the old days which has aged well. This is why i am not a fan of NOS, to be something is odd about them, it must look like what it is, an old watch. Just my opinion

You just have to love vintage watches, and yes, wearing them feels like you've inherited that history. More than that, you are now part of that history.

I have quite a few vintage pieces, all of which get worn.

My oldest, (and which for me holds significant history as my Father carried it during WW2), is this old Waterbury pocket watch dating back to the 1890's.

Sadly, Waterbury are no more yet their history is quite remarkable - starting with, would you believe, a fully working steam engine which could be put underneath a sewing thimble, (maybe I should write about it sometime). And yes, it still gets worn, (well, when I have the opportunity to wear a waistcoat anyway).

I'm currently wearing this Glycine Airman Special from the Vietnam War era and often wonder if it saw combat, many American pilots bought them in preference to their issued watches. Probably not, but who knows. But then, that's part of the magic of a vintage watch, imagining what it might have seen or been through. Oh, if only they could talk.

Whilst I love and wear my 'new' watches, there's something about a vintage watch that brings a smile to my face.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.