closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car rental America advice please

Craftsman

Car rental America advice please

Hi all

I'm travelling to Kansas later this month and need to hire a car for a week whilst there.
    Does anyone have any tips on best websites to find cheap deals ?
    Am flying B.A but that doesn't seem to give much of a discount.
    Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Master
    I've never found anything cheaper than booking direct with the hire company.
    I've used Alamo and found them fine. If you go through Topcashback or similar there's usually a fair % to be had.
    Just make sure when comparing prices you check the whole cost. The basic rate can increase quite a bit by the time you add sensible insurance cover etc.
    Last edited by Cynar; 7th September 2013 at 13:04.

If you use the link below you can select the link on the page to get discount with Hertz via Virgin

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...ntal/hertz.jsp

I usually book with Hertz as that code gives good discount. This year I actually used ebookers as they were the only one I could get zero drop off charge (dropping off in a different city) for the route I wanted. Very good price too.

I usually find the choice and price is better if you collect/drop off at an airport

AutoEurope, Ebookers, holiday autos, Expedia etc.

Good thing about USA is the rates include all insurance and SCDW, so no excess if the worst happens.

I did 12 days in a full size from Denver for £270 + £16 quidco. I booked with Ebookers and the rental was with Budget.

Book the cheapest car offered and upgrade (if you want) at the location as they will offer it for much, much cheaper than booking a more expensive car in advance. I hired a car in San Diego in July and dropped it off in LA from Hertz, and it was painless. I reserved a Focus but upgraded to a convertible Camaro for only $60 more, while it would've been over $500 more if I had reserved the Camaro to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Book the cheapest car offered and upgrade (if you want) at the location as they will offer it for much, much cheaper than booking a more expensive car in advance. I hired a car in San Diego in July and dropped it off in LA from Hertz, and it was painless. I reserved a Focus but upgraded to a convertible Camaro for only $60 more, while it would've been over $500 more if I had reserved the Camaro to start with.
    Good advice, I always do this myself. All the big name companies will give great service with clean well maintained cars stay away from the small no names. The savings is not worth the hassles. Make sure you get insurance.

If you book through this "Brit" link with Alamo, you get all these included;
    Unlimited Mileage
    Collision Damage Waiver
    Liability Protection (LP) ($1 million liability coverage)
    State/local taxes
    State/local surcharges
    Airport fees

Don't ever expect to get the car you book.

I've booked maybe 30 cars in the US and I don't think I've ever got the car I ordered at an airport.

The biggest disparity was when I ordered a Mustang and got a Nissan Armada.

I live in Miami and used fox rent a car when. Used to come here on holiday, there by far and away the best I've used! Last time I booked a ford and was given a camaro free upgrade

Used rentalcars.com last year and they were superb, phoned me 5 mins after booking online with an even better figure not shown on screen.

BTW filling at the pump is an absolute pain! Usually need to swipe a card at the machine and enter a ZIP prior to getting any juice, of course UK postcodes don't feckin work so you have to go inside to the counter to pay upfront.

Car rental in the US isn't massively cheap, I'd stick to using your travel agents.

Craftsman
    Thanks all v helpful advice

Blog Entries
    I rented from Alamo in Miami earlier in the year, their admin and vehicle return setup was the slickest operation I have ever experienced from any car rental company.

Whoever you end up going with, don't be afraid to reject the car. I rented a convertible from Hertz for a 2 week road trip a few years back, it was prom season and they rolled out a Sebring which was covered in glitter inside.. obviously been rented by a bunch of girlies for the weekend. I had an *in-depth* conversation with the guy on the rental desk as to whether it was fit for purpose - which involved sending it back to the valeting team twice - before he gave in. After half an hour I drove off in a Mustang that had just been delivered - 6 miles on the clock. It was properly run in by the time I took it back 1200 miles later ;)

Cheers,

Plug

I've always used money supermarket.com for the comparison , stuck to the bigger companies , arranged my own insurance through insurance4carhire.com and argued the toss for an upgrade at the rental desk.
    Most times it's been v successful but I'd advise to not book the cheapest car, more the cheapest car that will suffice.
    Plus, I've always found car hire cheaper away from the airport.

I rent quite regular in the US and moneysupermarket is generally the cheapest option.
    Always end up being supplied by the big renters, Hertz, Dollar etc.

I just had a Grand Caravan (7 seater people carrier, great for bags and space for a family of 5)
    Booked through moneysupermarket, supplied by Hertz, £130 per week all in.
    Last edited by brucelee; 8th September 2013 at 08:34.

Craftsman

Thanks

Thanks everyone
    Went for cheapest option available on moneysupermarket
    And got upgraded no extra charge to a brand new leather seated full spec VW Jetta convertible for £150 all in for days
    George and dragons great for advice / help
    Appreciated

Make sure your photo ID licence isn't expired; got to Miami for a family holiday, couldn't get the car I'd booked from Hertz, as licence had run out.That was fun...