closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just got a gift card for 25 years service - what to do?

Craftsman

Just got a gift card for 25 years service - what to do?

£315, usable at many high street stores and on line including John Lewis et al. Looking to buy something a bit different I wouldn't normally buy (don't mind putting a bit to it but not loaded at the moment). Off the wall suggestions please (my first thought was "proper" shoes based on recent threads but just don't like them) so looking for inspiration from the eclectic Friday night crowd.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by tintin; 6th September 2013 at 21:40.

A bean to cup coffee machine.

Apple TV

Headphones/MP3 player

Lots to chose from, dont buy shoes!

Coffee machine's a good suggestion.

Craftsman
    I've just been given a bean to coffee machine by a kind friend of mine but that is the sort of thing, I like the ideas, please continue!!!!!

Master
    Nice fountain pen? Parker Duofold Centennial?

Art - a painting, glass sculpture or whatever.

Case of fine wine.

Garden ornament. Personally, I might buy a nice sundial.

Craftsman
    Now its getting interesting, sundials and fountain pens, looking already!!!!! We're on a roll, inspired as always gentlemen (and the odd lady!!!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Art - a painting, glass sculpture or whatever.

Case of fine wine.

Garden ornament. Personally, I might buy a nice sundial.
    Do this if you want something special, which you will keep. An appliance will very quickly become part of the furniture, and not long after that will break, which will either stop it being special or require it's replacement, or both.

Free money, especially free money received to recognise an achievement, should be spent on something you would normally consider far too extravagant to waste money on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters View Post
    Do this if you want something special, which you will keep. An appliance will very quickly become part of the furniture, and not long after that will break, which will either stop it being special or require it's replacement, or both.

Free money, especially free money received to recognise an achievement, should be spent on something you would normally consider far too extravagant to waste money on.
    So true.

A case of good wine £100 (To drink while planning your first triathlon ;)
    +
    G-shock or Seiko 007 beater £100
    +
    Something for a hobby you already have or to go towards starting a new hobby ie: Yoga mat and Rodney Yee dvd, Fly Fishing by J.R Hartley + Rod, Triathlon suit etc £70
    +
    Breaking Bad dvd box set £30

But then again....

Just get a sun dial and a pair of slippers or how about a barometer?
    Last edited by studly; 6th September 2013 at 22:21.

Glass..

Big blue AND change

Seriously though, not an appliance.
    Some sort of art.

25 years.. amazing!
    Last edited by minkle; 6th September 2013 at 22:18.

Craftsman
    Joined straight from school, sponsored through uni, a throw back to another generation!!! Seriously, keep the ideas coming they are awesome!!!!

£315?
    For 25 years? For 25 f*****g years?
    Honestly, I'd tell them to buy some softer toilet roll for the executive toilets.
    That's disgusting

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Now its getting interesting, sundials and fountain pens, looking already!!!!! We're on a roll, inspired as always gentlemen (and the odd lady!!!)
    Note, if interested in sundials suggest you look somewhere like http://www.sundialsoc.org.uk/ for ideas rather than the standard fare seen in garden centres.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    £315?
    Honestly, I'd tell them to buy some softer toilet roll for the executive toilets.
    That's disgusting
    Presumably they paid him for the past 25 years as well as sponsoring him through uni?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Presumably they paid him for the past 25 years as well as sponsoring him through uni?
    Why?

£315?
    That's disgusting
    I've been with the same firm for 27 years , and never even had a thank you card

Quote Originally Posted by tredders View Post
    Nice fountain pen? Parker Duofold Centennial?
    I think that is a great plan... I am considering a fountain pen purchase, but can't imagine it will improve my GP grade handwriting any :)

£315?
    That's disgusting
    How so? Without having the background story, that's just an absurd statement. What if he's been an absolute arse of an employee for 25 years and the only reason he's not been sacked a dozen or so more times before is because it's just too much of a ball ache to get rid of him?

What if he has been merely an average employee, contractually working only as hard as he thought necessary to justify his wage? Should he buy his boss a nice bottle of something fizzy for giving him safe and secure employment for such a long period of time? Of course not, but let's not forget that it's a two way street.

Anyone who has worked for any employer for 25 years has either been pretty content with their terms and conditions of employment or has only themself to blame if they haven't. People aren't forced at gun point to work for employers if they feel they're not getting a fair deal.

BTW, I'm not suggesting for a second that the OP has been anything but an asset to his employer. On the face of it, it's a nice gesture and the OP doesn't give the impression that he's anything other than grateful for the recognition.

Gary

Sell it outside John Lewis to a little old lady for £250; gram of coke and a hot girl for an hour

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Sell it outside John Lewis to a little old lady for £250; gram of coke and a hot girl for an hour

Ahh, the voice of experience :p

Chris

Buy some M&S vouchers or similar and spend it on shopping then put the money towards something you fancy on SC.

It's what you buy not how you spend it that is important.

£315 for 25 years service?

You used to get a gold watch.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Ive been with the same employer for 21 years. After 25 years I get the same sort of thing.

No employer is under ANY obligation to give their employees any "bonus" after any amount of time?

There are thousands of people in UK who would love to get the same sort of recognition.

Im a "union" man...so no way am I "sticking up" for any employer. Just my opinion to the poster who thought it was "disgusting"????

To the O.P.? get something which you wouldn't normall buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Buy some M&S vouchers or similar and spend it on shopping then put the money towards something you fancy on SC.

It's what you buy not how you spend it that is important.
    Top idea. I get either £250 or a week's leave. Though I don't actually get the money up front, I have to buy something and provide the receipt. I'm sorely tempted to take a week off without the missus.

David

Craftsman
    Loads of good ideas, thinking about loads of different things now that I hadn't thought of.

Like the banter, a bit of background - over the years I've lived in Sweden, South Africa and Germany (twice) with my company, and travelled further afield, and I'm pretty senior now so can't complain, another move up wouldn't go a miss. When I was younger I needed the structure and although now I would be up for anything pension schemes and the like make it difficult but not impossible to move (if you want a contract negotiator with experience of £5Bn + just let me know!!!!).

In terms of value, yeah it used to be gold watches and the like but times are hard!!! I also get to go on a special do all in with the missus to so its recognition rather than life changing, I'm pretty relaxed about it, certainly better than nothing!!!!

Anyway more bright ideas welcome, favouring the fountain pen / sundial / Sales corner options at the moment but the coke and top woman lights up the imagination!!!!

I bought a 8-day Comitti wall clock from JL for c£500, albeit around 10 yrs ago. I never tire of the Westminster chime. Something to think about perhaps..

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post

In terms of value, yeah it used to be gold watches and the like but times are hard!!! I also get to go on a special do all in with the missus to so its recognition rather than life changing, I'm pretty relaxed about it, certainly better than nothing!!!!
    Sure, I hope you enjoy your do.

I mentioned gold watches as this is a watch site and I have had gold service awards from lots of different companies over the years including British Rail, Marks and Sparks, EMI etc. although I have a steel GP that was given to somebody for 40 years service!

That said I'll bet many of todays new input of workers will not last or be offered 25 years in any job.

It's a diffferent world now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Sure, I hope you enjoy your do.

I mentioned gold watches as this is a watch site and I have had gold service awards from lots of different companies over the years including British Rail, Marks and Sparks, EMI etc. although I have a steel GP that was given to somebody for 40 years service!

That said I'll bet many of todays new input of workers will not last or be offered 25 years in any job.

It's a diffferent world now.
    Yep think I'll be considered unusual in the next generation!!!

My company used to give a Rolex Datejust for your 25th they have changed to a quartz Tag a couple of years ago. My Supervisor was pissed.

It's free, who cares! I'd g for a mont blonc pen.

Journeyman
    Howabout an Aeolian Harp?
    Some of them are real works of art...you'll either love it or want to smash it into matchwood...but then you'll have a beautiful pile of matchwood! :)

Master
    How about a Hornby train set? Get you started with some track, carriages and street furniture.

Master
    We provide many clients with LSA schemes / solutions and the variance from one employer to the next always amazes me. Values can range from £250 - £2500 for 25 years service...... Quite a difference.

The number of employers who do nothing is also quite shocking so to get something is better than bugger all so well done on your achievement!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Ive been with the same employer for 21 years. After 25 years I get the same sort of thing.

No employer is under ANY obligation to give their employees any "bonus" after any amount of time?

There are thousands of people in UK who would love to get the same sort of recognition.

Im a "union" man...so no way am I "sticking up" for any employer. Just my opinion to the poster who thought it was "disgusting"????

To the O.P.? get something which you wouldn't normall buy!
    OK precious, perhaps disgusting was a poor term to use . Maybe insulting?
    I just see a financial reward for 25 years service@ x amount of pounds as poor form.
    If they gave you something material( suitcases, camera, pottery, a watch etc.etc.)in which you have no input but maybe a choice, then that's different.
    But in this instance they are putting a monetary value on your service . Not a particularly high one either.

I understand that no company has any obligation to give you a bonus . Maybe the way they go about it could be done differently.

Last year I completed ten years of service with my employer so was eligible for the John Lewis Reward Voucher.

I got the full entitlement!

£10!!

I kid you not.

I still haven't used it, I'm not ready for big decisions like that.

So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Glass..

Big blue AND change

Seriously though, not an appliance.
    Some sort of art.

25 years.. amazing!
    I like the blue one very much!

Where can that be purchased from?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    I'd hire this:
    http://www.cornwallclassiccarhire.co...ails/jageconv/
    I'd also get a nice cigar, even though I gave up smoking 12 years ago & I'd go for cruise around, find a decent sea view & smoke it slowly

edit:
    guess they don't take gift cards though
    Last edited by wampa; 7th September 2013 at 20:43.

[QUOTE=wampa;2853386]I'd hire this:
    http://www.cornwallclassiccarhire.co...ails/jageconv/
    I'd also get a nice cigar, even though I gave up smoking 12 years ago & I'd go for cruise around, find a decent sea view & smoke it slowly

Great idea, I'm tempted to treat myself to the above

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Last year I completed ten years of service with my employer so was eligible for the John Lewis Reward Voucher.

I got the full entitlement!

£10!!

I kid you not.

I still haven't used it, I'm not ready for big decisions like that.

Not bad, we don't get a bean until 30 years.

You're lucky. All I got was a bit of glass with a design on it. Completely useless and has remained in the box since I got it.

Craftsman
    Its all tricky and you can get insulted whatever, my simple view is I've got 300ish quid to spend with no comeback and a free night out on the lash with the lady, nice enough!!!!!!