closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Incoming: Audemars Piguet Content & SOTC

Blog Entries

New Incoming: Audemars Piguet Content & SOTC

I've had an AP itch to scratch for a while now, having been a keen admirer of this style of watch for quite some time however a combination of lack of watch box space and not being able to find one at the right price and the right condition meant a fairly long wait to realise a desire. Fast forward 6+ months, endless hours scouring the net, visiting shops and bumping WTB's I had almost given up hope....then out of the blue one pops up briefly on SC ticking all the boxes and of course I miss it by a couple of hours....isn't it always the way. Anyways what was meant to be was meant to be as a couple of weeks later a chance random email was received and less than 12 hours later and this puppy was mine. Incidentally, it happens to be the same one I missed on SC. It's a funny old game this...

So what did we pick up, well it’s a white dial reference 15300 (15300ST.OO.1220ST.01 to be precise but what's a couple of extra letters between friends). True to the original Royal Oak 5402 released over 40 years ago it has the trademark octagonal bezel, 8 hexagonal screws, angular case, mixture of polished and brushed finish and waffle style 'tapisserie' dial. A bit about the dial….this type of dial is made using traditional techniques similar to that of a pantograph where a disc is fixed to a machine on one side and a burin chisels away at the disc as it follows the tapisserie pattern on an oversized model of the Royal Oak on the other side. Impressive stuff. And the result, a 3D grid like texture which my wife referred to as 'different'. She's not wrong. In this day and age where companies look to utilise modern technology and super sophisticated techniques in their watchmaking it’s quite refreshing to see such an age old tradition being preserved. It’s also hard to believe that only up until 3 years ago these dials were manufactured by a third party, Stern Creations, founded by the Stern Family and owner of Patek, it’s a pretty incestuous world this watchmaking. At 39mm this would ordinarily be a little on the small side for me, however the integrated case and bracelet make this wear much larger (more like 40/41mm).

So how does it wear? Surprisingly well actually - the case shape means a snug fit across the whole wrist and the bracelet is easily the most comfortable I have ever worn. Sized to my 6.75 inch wrists it weighs a respectable 132g (my Rolex Explorer II comes in at 154g and Datejust II at 148g) and fits comfortably under a shirt cuff which is where it currently gets most of its wear. The biggest negative, and also the biggest positive, of owning this watch in my view is the finish. Much has been made of the techniques AP use in getting this finish and boy does it look good….the negative being the amount of babying required to ensure it stays like that. Particular note should be made to avoid rushing around during rush hour wearing this, train stations during peak time are a no go, busy shopping malls a big no no....there doesn't seem to be any shortage of bag wielding maniacs out there so be careful RO owners. So far my OCD has not reacted well to owning this.

So that all being said was it worth the wait? You betcha! This watch has exceeded all expectations, the finish is simply breath-taking and the way the light catches the contrasting angles is simply mesmerising. I've never come across a dial with more subtle detail in my life, from normal wrist position you just don't realise how intricate it is and it's only when you get in really close do you notice the guilloche effect within guilloche effect. Sublime.

So enough of my waffle (excuse the pun), it's time to let the pictures do the talking...

And to finish off a little dip into my current collection...having fairly recently taken this hobby up i've got the collection to a place i'm happy with. Yes some are predictable, maybe even boring, but you know what I don't care - each one brings huge joy and IMO that’s all that matters. Where to go next is the big question...

Rolex Datejust II 116334
    The only sure fire keeper in my collection, having been gifted this by my wife as a wedding present and the one worn on the ‘special day’. Probably doesn't get as much wrist time as others but then it's not fighting for attention like the other contents of the watch box. Immensely comfortable due to the relatively modest case thickness and subsequent lower centre of gravity. Also gets the most comments and attention than any of the others, largely due to the bezel and how it shimmers as the light catches it.

Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Another white dial (theme?), this time the larger and more substantial Explorer II. The iconic 'fraccione' hand makes a much welcome return and the increase in size brings this right up to date with the demands of today's market for larger watches. My daily wearer, this gets easily the most wrist time and one that I can't see leaving the collection.

Jaeger LeCoultre Master 8 Days Q1608420
    Well every collection needs some level of complication (IMO) so this is mine......boasting a power reserve indicator, date and jour/nuit indicators plus a more than impressive 8 day power reserve it is typically Jaeger. Coming in at 40.5mm it's also quite different from most other 'dress' watches and just adds to the appeal more. Oozing quality, and packing class in abundance, it also provides a nice break from wearing bracelet watches.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nice post. Fabulous watches and absolutely stunningly good photos. Thanks for posting

What a superb post, Darren.

Photography is excellent, and I love that AP.

Master
    Well done on the new arrival. Something I have dallied with a number of times, and regret not having picked up in the past - the only question is whether I will scratch the itch sometime or live a life unfulfilled - LOL. You've got the best version IMO. Class!

I am a fan of the rest of your set as well. A nice quartet.

Master
    Lovely AP. Beautiful collection.

Master
    That AP is truly stunning. But I'd be too afraid to put a mark on the bracelet or the bezel to wear it. So while I admire your bravery in acquiring it, even my relatively risk-free daily work would I'm sure do it some damage.

But I do like it. A lot. And spot a black dial at Blowers...grrr

Ant

Master
    Those pics would rival catalogue photos, and a great watch too..

Amazing collection, especially the Datejust II, the photos are also excellent... nice collection

Master
    Lovely AP. When I first began to take an interest in watches, it took quite a while for Royal Oak to grow on me, but gradually I've got to like the design more and more. I still don't like the complicated ones but the time and date only tapisserie dial ones are so nice.

Did you see this?

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/1/...royal-oak.html

Someone posted another video of how the dials are made but I'm damned if I can find it now.

What a gorgeous, simple, watch - have always had a soft spot for APs & have been tempted by the RO Diver several times, on the bracelet it looks even more lovely too.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Nice post. Fabulous watches and absolutely stunningly good photos. Thanks for posting
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    What a superb post, Darren.

Photography is excellent, and I love that AP.
    What they said!

That rotor is to die for

I'm jalous

Craftsman
    Simply stunning!

I really want an AP RO next, though will be a while before funds will allow.

Congrats on the purchase of a gorgeous watch

This my friend, is the watch I have been craving for the last six months. Fabulous photos of the APs dial and caseback. I hope you enjoy it and with all due respect please please let me know if your ever bored of it and wish to move it on!

Interesting. While I am not particularly a fan of any of the individual watches, they do seem to work together as collection. And I wish I had time (and the gear and the ability) to take photographs like those (particularly the AP)

Craftsman
    Fantastic photos, and a great collection

Wow, great photos and that AP is just stunning. I'm new into watch collecting as I only got interested last year but the AP RO has really grown on me and it most definitely a 'grail'. If I had come across them before my Blancpain FF I may have gone with the AP, and still might do one day...

Congratulations!

I've no idea why AP dropped this piece. In doing so, they've really dropped a bollock. I think they should have kept it & used the chrono case so the 15300 had crown guards.

Congratulations on getting it. Your pics rival Harry Tan's!

Blog Entries
    I have to say that is a lovely watch, I'm not normally an AP fan but that is gorgeous. Congrats.

Nice write-up. There's no doubt that the dial on the RO is one of the best in the business - and the most legible, even without AR coating. You're also right about the finish - it's lovely, and even better dynamically as it changes with the light.

Master
    Congrats on picking that up - great report & pictures !

a fantastic royal oak and in a great size, i prefer it to the larger version.

i love the white dial and i never knew the dials were made by the sterns and not ap

Blog Entries
    Thanks all for the feedback, I was always under the impression that this was a marmite watch (maybe it is) so it's good to see such positive response.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    That AP is truly stunning. But I'd be too afraid to put a mark on the bracelet or the bezel to wear it. So while I admire your bravery in acquiring it, even my relatively risk-free daily work would I'm sure do it some damage.

But I do like it. A lot. And spot a black dial at Blowers...grrr

Ant
    I guess you won't know til you try. One at Blowers you say, is it a sign? Luckily, or unluckily, for me I'm naturally one to baby a watch anyways as I hate marks of any kind so this just needs a bit more thought than usual. Saying that I'll probably walk into a door later and add a bit of 'character'!

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Did you see this?

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/1/...royal-oak.html

Someone posted another video of how the dials are made but I'm damned if I can find it now.
    I did see that, and the video posted the other day, fascinating stuff and as per my thread its great to see these techniques being preserved and continued in time honoured fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by timestuff View Post
    That rotor is to die for
    I only found out this week that the pictures engraved onto the rotor are the Audemars and Piguet family crests, assuming the castle crest belongs to the Audemars family and the horse crest to the Piguet family.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I hope you enjoy it and with all due respect please please let me know if your ever bored of it and wish to move it on!
    Haha I will do mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I've no idea why AP dropped this piece. In doing so, they've really dropped a bollock. I think they should have kept it & used the chrono case so the 15300 had crown guards.
    Have to agree with you and to my mind it doesn't make good business sense to drop this from the range as the 15400 is simply massive, certainly for my relative sized wrists. Of course there is the 40th anniversary 15202 in 39mm but the price is eye watering in comparison.

Master
    Stunning pictures of one of my favorites

Much prefer this size to the new model

Marc

I am not normally a fan of the Datejust, but the blue numerals on the yours are just stunning. What a collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    +1 and any wrist shots of the AP?

Wow! Beautiful collection you have there. The AP is just sublime.

Master
    Always appreciate these little reviews. Stunning photos as well. The macro shot of the AP initials with the detailed texture of the dial is easily one of the best watch pictures I've seen.

Lovely watch and some great pictures. Liking the jlc too!

Journeyman
    Very nice watches!

Just curious, how much did you paid for it?

Craftsman
    You have a lovely collection there.

The 15300 is one of these watches I think that needs to be lived with for a while to really appreciate the finesse of it. Yes, it marks up easily but when you wear it - particularly during our admittedly rare - summer months it is just right. In contrast I'm not a fan of the newer size version which borders on the oversize and unnecessary IMHO. Well done and enjoy!

Craftsman
    Lovely dial!!!

Master
    That the watches are stunning is a given, but the photography is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice collection indeed; that AP when viewed up close like that is a work of art. Genta's design will probably never age.

To that collection I'd want to add a chrono, something vintage and also something in precious metal but I think you pretty much have it nailed already :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcJ View Post
    Stunning pictures of one of my favorites

Much prefer this size to the new model

Marc
    Have to agree, and quite frankly i'm surprised that they have gone so large. With the integrated bracelet the 15400 overhangs my wrist quite considerably so its definitely a no go. Pretty certain AP have cut out a fair chunk of the market in going this route.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Always appreciate these little reviews. Stunning photos as well. The macro shot of the AP initials with the detailed texture of the dial is easily one of the best watch pictures I've seen.
    Considering the incredibly high standard of photography on this board i'll definitely take that as a compliment! Ta!

Quote Originally Posted by GSQZ View Post
    Very nice watches!

Just curious, how much did you paid for it?
    Lol, you know a gentleman never asks a lady her age...

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Very nice collection indeed; that AP when viewed up close like that is a work of art. Genta's design will probably never age.

To that collection I'd want to add a chrono, something vintage and also something in precious metal but I think you pretty much have it nailed already :)
    Have to agree, it's pretty timeless and Genta was a genius. A chrono is not a bad idea actually, the last one i had was a Speedie which i loved so maybe it's time to dip toe back in.

Congratulations on your AP and your pictures are ace!!

I have exactly the same model and echo exactly what you said. It's a great thing!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    That ap dial is lovely, and it's not so in your face as the larger ones. Very classy and a lovely collection, great taste

Journeyman
    Fantastic collection! Congrats on securing the AP, lovely.

Blog Entries
    Excellent pics - very enjoyable and a superb quartet !

I still have my doubts re. selling my 14790 and thereafter my 15300, left with a Huitieme which isn't quite the same. Maybe, one day ...

Cheers, Peter

Fantastic addition to as class set.

Much prefer the RO to the ROO versions which are too in your face for me.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    very nice. congrats on obtaining a fantastic piece.

Fantastic write up and photography, and well thought out collection, congrats. As I am quite partial to a fancy dials AP is just right up my street
    Last edited by VDG; 8th September 2013 at 23:21.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shinzomaeda View Post
    Congratulations on your AP and your pictures are ace!!

I have exactly the same model and echo exactly what you said. It's a great thing!!!
    It certainly is, squire

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Excellent pics - very enjoyable and a superb quartet !

I still have my doubts re. selling my 14790 and thereafter my 15300, left with a Huitieme which isn't quite the same. Maybe, one day ...

Cheers, Peter
    Ouch, that must have hurt. Maybe time to delve back in?

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Fantastic addition to as class set.

Much prefer the RO to the ROO versions which are too in your face for me.
    Heartily agree, i'm sure the ROO will grow on me at some point but at the moment they just seem too blocky and cumbersome (although i do like the rubber strap option)

Craftsman
    Wow, GREAT addition to the collection! That AP RO is one of my grail-watches, next to the PP Nautilus.

Craftsman
    The AP is a showstopper, gorgeous.

Brilliant post. Stunning watches and the quality of photography to go with them!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Excellenct read. Congrats on purchase... I wanted that!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    Brilliant post. Stunning watches and the quality of photography to go with them!
    Indeed, excellent pics too!

Master
    Beautiful collection! Certainly something for most occasions!