closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gareth Bale

Master

Gareth Bale

Is not worth £85.3m quid. I predict a severe crash and burn. Great bit of business by Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Is not worth £85.3m quid. I predict a severe crash and burn. Great bit of business by Spurs.
    Agreed/not agreed/agreed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed/not agreed/agreed.
    Tony, I think you'll look back and laugh. That's a shed load of money. Be happy that you spent the money on more players; where's the the £80m we got for Ronaldo? Paying off interest no doubt.

I think he is a fantastic player. As to being worth that much? I don't think anybody is! Though I guess the money people know what they are doing?????

It will be an enormous pressure though, to live with costing that much, just hope he can produce the goods, he had a fantastic season last year, just hope he can replicate it. Great business by Spurs though!

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Tony, I think you'll look back and laugh. That's a shed load of money. Be happy that you spent the money on more players; where's the the £80m we got for Ronaldo? Paying off interest no doubt.
    I was only disagreeing with the "crash and burn" comment. He's far, far too good a player for that to happen.

Master
    I'd love him to do well there, but I don't think he will. He doesn't have the touch to be a world class player an between him an Ronaldo there is no contest

Master
    I was only disagreeing with the "crash and burn" comment. He's far, far too good a player for that to happen.
    See I'm not convinced. He had a great two seasons, but relatively unproven in Europe.

When we sold Ronaldo he was off the scale. He won us the league on his own in 08, and had done it for several seasons at home and in Europe.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Bale, and I'd love him to do well.

But I have a little doubt - doubt that I didn't have when we sold Ronaldo to Madrid.

Maybe its from not watching Spurs week in, week out, but I'm just not 100% sure.

I wish he were English.... Hope he does well out there

Master
    I think spurs will probably be a better all around side once the new players bed in and they're probably just about broken even over the summer.
    Bale is a great player but I think they came to rely on him a bit - same with Suarez at Liverpool and as Arsenal did with Van Persie before he left.

Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    I think spurs will probably be a better all around side once the new players bed in and they're probably just about broken even over the summer.
    Bale is a great player but I think they came to rely on him a bit - same with Suarez at Liverpool and as Arsenal did with Van Persie before he left.
    We'll definitely get better, as a team, once the new boys have benefitted from a few games playing together. As for our transfer dealings, I think the net profit over the summer is about £10m, so not bad business all things considered.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st September 2013 at 23:39. Reason: Corrected net profit figure

Journeyman
    He had one brilliant season last year but previous to that he was okay but not great. I think he'll do well but not in the same class as Ronaldo or Messi

Bought for £10m, developed, delivered a couple of great seasons, sold for £85m.

Spurs should be pretty happy. I doubt Bale will represent quite such good value to RM, but then again, they don't care about balancing the books...

He's no Messi or Ronaldo although the price tag will make him seem like one, lots of expectation, remains to be seen if he can live up to it, not many from these shores have made a successful move abroad. Cannot see Ronaldo giving up any limelight to him so it will be very interesting to see how he copes.

Not worth 80 million and really don't hope he crashes and burns. Only thing that does concern me is RM have a habit of shipping out players whenever they seem to feel like it regardless of cost. I would like to think however that the amount of money they have invested in him and the length of contract he has been given suggests they see him as a long term investment like Beckham.

I think Spurs have done very well to get that kind of money for him I just hope they have spent it well.

Great bit of business for Spurs.

Could have done with him yesterday though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

As for our transfer dealings, I think the net profit over the summer is about £10m, so not bad business all things considered.
    True, although you now have wages for 6 or 7 players as opposed to just 1.

Think Spurs have bought well, should have at least a top 4 this year

Malc

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    True, although you now have wages for 6 or 7 players as opposed to just 1.

Think Spurs have bought well, should have at least a top 4 this year

Malc
    Well, that would be the case if 6 players hadn't left, Malc ;)

sorry chaps, but how can a bloke who kicks a ball around be worth a salary of £50k per day, it needs a bit of perspective, how much does the president of the USA get?

Nah, we will see an end (for a few years at least) as the footie industry debt leverage is pretty much at the maximum. Macroeconomics aside, the sales slump will touch all clubs, resulting in drop in absolute trade price levels.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    sorry chaps, but how can a bloke who kicks a ball around be worth a salary of £50k per day, it needs a bit of perspective, how much does the president of the USA get?
    Any player is worth what a club can make out of them - to really doesn't matter if the amount appears obscene to us. If sales of shirts, match tickets, television rights etc. cover the costs, or a few billionaires want to throw cash at a sport - then what is the problem?

The President of the US is a different matter entirely - he may not get the headline salary, but the perks and cost of his position likely run into billions to keep him in office for his tenure.
    It's just a matter of time...

Well, that would be the case if 6 players hadn't left, Malc ;)
    I'm pretty sure the new boys will be earning considerably more than those who left.

Why does this line only get trotted out when people talk about football? If we're talking about Americans....how many sportsmen in The US earn more than the president? NFL salaries make Bale look like a pauper. And then you could move onto Hollywood.

Anyway, as an Arsenal fan I'm glad he has gone and glad the new signings at spurs still looked like strangers yesterday.

Couple of things to note:

Real have given Kaka a free to AC Milan. That's most (or all) of Bale's wages freed up.

Sky Sports were reporting earlier that Spurs may sign a Real player (missed the name) for £42m. If they do, that's about £45m
    plus a player for Bale. That alters the look of Spur's signing spree significantly.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    What will the Spurs be doing with the sale proceeds? Will be more difficult for them to buy at a "fair value" price new targets...

Quote Originally Posted by sebastien1985 View Post
    What will the Spurs be doing with the sale proceeds? Will be more difficult for them to buy at a "fair value" price new targets...
    Are you inhabiting your own solitary universe?

Master
    £300k a week gross just in pay from Real

maybe the same again from endorsements etc.,

6 year contract

Monopoly money

Well done that man!!! - I thought Spain had an economic crisis?

Just watching the unveiling on the BBC website. Bale looks a decent chap (Unlike most of the other slapped arses) and I wish him well.
    I do however feel that if clubs can afford this much on players then ticket prices should be substantially reduced. The sponsorship deals these days are enormous.

We'll definitely get better, as a team, once the new boys have benefitted from a few games playing together. As for our transfer dealings, I think the net profit over the summer is about £10m, so not bad business all things considered.
    definitely. i love bale but think with paulinho & especially lamela coming you'll be better off all round. i agree bale is far too good to crash & burn & actually think he'll do really well there

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    like anyone in an industry like football, he's worth what they'll pay him. i don't even find it obscene tbh, it's a massive sport with ridiculous appeal/income worldwide not to mention sometimes it's bankrolled by billionaires. he's got talents only a minute amount of the world possess so it doesn't bother me one bit if he wants to make the most of them

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    NFL salaries make Bale look like a pauper.
    seriously ? i watch more NFL than soccer & while the odd poster boy like Brady & some star receivers are paid handsomely i think it pales in comparison compared to soccer. not to mention it's a ridiculously demanding sport both physically & mentally & that the average career lasts just shy of 5 years. by the time someone's 26 the dream they worked hard for could be over & they might he saddled with health problems & not even enough money to last until their 30th birthday. don't get me wrong it's a good living if you can get it but it's far from easy money. starting QBs get paid handsomely, so they should, by definition there is only 32 people in the world who can do what they do

Craftsman
    Are you inhabiting your own solitary universe?
    ???

Master
    Of course the money involved is obscene, but he is not the only one. He is a very good player and I suspect he will do well.

Real will utilise him to the full for image rights etc and get a lot of the money back that way.

I did thing the statement from Spurs was a bit churlish after the deal was finalised.

Master
    ???
    I think he means that Spurs have already spent the £80m on new signings

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Just watching the unveiling on the BBC website. Bale looks a decent chap (Unlike most of the other slapped arses) and I wish him well.
    I do however feel that if clubs can afford this much on players then ticket prices should be substantially reduced. The sponsorship deals these days are enormous.
    without doubt, ticket sales only make up a small percentage of a clubs income anyway due to the massive television contracts etc. the bundesliga is the model all other top divisions should be working towards

Banned
    Blog Entries
    £93m for 6 year's work... well, I say work

Yes please !!

I wonder which half we paid* for...?

*Arsenal signing Ozil for €50m...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I wonder which half we paid* for...?

*Arsenal signing Ozil for €50m...
    lol

Very good playmaker. Hopefully he will adapt quickly to the PL. If Giroud keeps on scoring, it should be a decent season!

Craftsman
    I don't think he is worth what Real have paid for either... I still hope he does well.

Master
    It is totally ridiculous like so many other things in the so called "beautiful game"

Craftsman
    The funny thing about his transfer was his declaration : "I won't shoot free-kicks nor penalties" (probably he did not want to offense C. Ronaldo...).

I asked myself: "What the hell will you be doing in Madrid if you won't shoot free-kicks?!"

The funny thing about his transfer was his declaration : "I won't shoot free-kicks nor penalties" (probably he did not want to offense C. Ronaldo...).

I asked myself: "What the hell will you be doing in Madrid if you won't shoot free-kicks?!"
    You don't know a great deal about football, do you?

Whether the money is obscene or not depends whether you think he's worth the money, or whether he deserves the money.

He is, to all intents and purposes, a company that has signed a contract to provide footballing services to Real Madrid for 5 years (is it 5 year?). His off-pitch earnings for the club are believed by them to be high enough to make it worth it. No different to Tom Cruise being paid £40,000,000 per film. In short, somebody thinks they are worth the money.

But if you see him as a 24 years old, born and bred on streets like yours and comparable to other 24 year olds, then clearly he doesn't deserve it.. Certainly any more than a young fireman, a soldier or a nurse.

So if the industry is worth billions then it is it stands to reason that the handful of stars that make it what it is will be paid as much as they are.
    Last edited by Corporalsparrow; 3rd September 2013 at 15:06.

Yes, it is not about the game, it is about the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by blargage View Post
    He had one brilliant season last year but previous to that he was okay but not great. I think he'll do well but not in the same class as Ronaldo or Messi
    I do love this 'he's had one good season' twaddle.

He's been PFA Player of the year twice in the last three seasons (like Cristiano Ronaldo) and made the PFA Team of the Year in all three. Hardly a single season flash in the pan.

Is he worth that sort of money? He is to Real Madrid and ultimately that's all that matters.

I remember watching this animation a couple of years ago when he took on Inter Milan.

The animation is sublime, but so is his movement in this video –*there are not many players around that would inspire an animator to create such a piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRZMjHzWXQc

Craftsman
    Naive maybe, but the fee and the wages are not Gareth Bales fault, he plays football, good luck to him.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I remember watching this animation a couple of years ago when he took on Inter Milan.
    The animation is sublime, but so is his movement in this video –*there are not many players around that would inspire an animator to create such a piece.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRZMjHzWXQc
    Great animation this, never seen it before :)

sweeney
    Quote Originally Posted by blargage View Post
    I do love this 'he's had one good season' twaddle.

He's been PFA Player of the year twice in the last three seasons (like Cristiano Ronaldo) and made the PFA Team of the Year in all three. Hardly a single season flash in the pan.

Is he worth that sort of money? He is to Real Madrid and ultimately that's all that matters.
    Although I wish him all the best and I hope he proves me wrong, I'll stand by my one season twaddle! ;)
    If you go by what all the pundits say about an attacking midfielder, they need to score double figures a season and he only managed that last season.
    2011-12 it was 9 goals, 2010-11 it was 7. He scored a lot more out of the premier league too and there is an argument that previous to this season he's been maturing from left back so I can see it from both sides. I just think he may have a lot more to prove now.

Still, as a level headed young chap I wish him all the best and I hope he does prove it. It can only do wonders for Welsh football!

have you got any stats to back up this double digits a season stuff ? it's just i've just had a look at iniesta, ribery, toni kroos & angel di maria (off the top of my head) & only ribery scored 10 or more league goals

they're all top attacking midfielders

Journeyman
    No stats no, I'm just going off what the pundits were saying about Aaron Ramsey on MOTD on Sunday not being a top attacker because an attacking midfielder should be scoring double digits!
    Blame Alan Hansen ;)

oh, if you'd told me you were going off the MOTD pundits I would've ignored it in the first place !