closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Video review - BP Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe

Video review - BP Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe

Seems odd to think that it's 60 years this year since BP launched the Fifty Fathoms - isn't it the Land Rover Defender 60th this year too?

Anyway, as premium dive (look) watches go this has to be up there. I am growing to like it more and more just as the price makes it less and less of a serious option

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/blancpa...fathoms-review
    Gray

Craftsman

Funny you post this...

...as I've recently been giving this one a lot of thought. While the Fifty-Fathoms Sport does nothing for me, this one is starting to keep me up at night.

Of course, the price ensures that this one will remain strictly in my dreams for the time being; however, once they start hitting the used market, who knows?

Regards,
    Adam
    Last edited by craniotes; 22nd August 2013 at 18:21.

Master
    That is a stunning watch! Can't wait to try it on.

Looks like a Tissot

Looks like one of those Tissots

Craftsman
    Good little video but left me feeling slightly empty, especially at that price point.

Love the history behind the brand though!

I like the watch, but, yeah.... the price is nutty. If I want a simple straightforward dive watch, it's hard to see this taking the place of a 14060M in my collection.

Craftsman
    This may sound like a strange request, but could somebody give me the name of the video (not the link) if it's a Youtube video?
    I can't get through to the Hodinkee page but I'd like to see the video and can't do it via the link!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    Looks like one of those Tissots
    Yeah, you are right! I am not feeling it but I do appreciate the history behind the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    I like the watch, but, yeah.... the price is nutty. If I want a simple straightforward dive watch, it's hard to see this taking the place of a 14060M in my collection.
    And if I wanted a simple straightforward dive watch I would just buy a PO 8500 42mm and save myself a couple thousand versus the Sub. You'd buy the Bathyscaphe because it's a retro design that is in homage to early dive watches and also for the amazing and more interesting movement. I had the pleasure of seeing the Bathyscaphe at Blancpain's customer preview a couple months ago in London and it's stunning in person, yet quite understated with the true-to-original case finishing. And the sizing is way more sensible than the current 50 fathoms (and it's a few k cheaper)

Granted I'm not saying it's cheap, especially on a canvas strap, but the price is far from nutty... even if you just bought it at Heathrow you could get it for about £6k flat, something you can't do when buying a sub...

I know this was slated quite a bit when threads were posted after Basel this year, but it's gripped me completely.

Withou seeing it in the flesh, it seems extremely colour sensitive depending on the case material, strap and/dial combinations. This is my grail at the moment (although I will wait for a used one). I also love the fact that it has a long power reserve, liquid metal bezel, see through case back and is also antimagnetic!

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    And if I wanted a simple straightforward dive watch I would just buy a PO 8500 42mm and save myself a couple thousand versus the Sub. You'd buy the Bathyscaphe because it's a retro design that is in homage to early dive watches and also for the amazing and more interesting movement. I had the pleasure of seeing the Bathyscaphe at Blancpain's customer preview a couple months ago in London and it's stunning in person, yet quite understated with the true-to-original case finishing. And the sizing is way more sensible than the current 50 fathoms (and it's a few k cheaper)

Granted I'm not saying it's cheap, especially on a canvas strap, but the price is far from nutty... even if you just bought it at Heathrow you could get it for about £6k flat, something you can't do when buying a sub...
    Well, I should clarify that, I suppose. I'd buy a used 14060M, which I can get any day of the week for $4500 USD, $6000 less than the stated price on the Bathyscaphe. I know it's not fair to draw comparisons from a new watch price to a used watch price, but the world's not a fair place. And it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. It's an OK watch, but I would not see myself spending that much money on a new one. Maybe they'll depreciate in the secondary market. We'll see what the market decides their real value is.

The titanium version has more subtlety for an already subtle watch

Gray

Seen a few ads for these around town, really growing on me, I'm currently in the grip of a bathyscaphe frenzy, thank god I don't have the money for one, but I'll add it to the 'to buy' list all the same :)

Very nice looking but the standard FF has my heart if I could afford one...classic design

Craftsman
    That's a stunner

Master
    I really want to like this watch but it didn't do it for me at baselworld, and it's still not. I like the dial, but the hour dots are very small, the bezel very thin and the hands aren't pretty at all. It's also a shame for the movement to not be terribly well decorated and it's hidden by the NATO anyway.

I would like to try one though in case it's a different story after that.

The things you dislike are mostly what attracts me to the watch!
    Gray

The more I look at, the more I like it.
    But nothing compares to old FF.

Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    The more I look at, the more I like it.
    Same here; it's beginning to make sense suddnely. The spartan appearance is the feature now for me.

Saying it looks like a Tissot is like saying a Steinhart looks like a Rolex; it does yes, but it's not the point :)

I really like the under stated classy elegance of this, but at 43mm it's too big for me. If this was Sub size 40mm I would seriously consider buying this

Are any of the FF watches 40mm guys ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    The things you dislike are mostly what attracts me to the watch!
    Lol that's the great thing about personal preference :-) Buy one and do a good review... maybe I'll want one

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I really like the under stated classy elegance of this, but at 43mm it's too big for me. If this was Sub size 40mm I would seriously consider buying this

Are any of the FF watches 40mm guys ?
    If you're a fan of the current 45mm FF Sport, its predecessor, the 50th Anniversary LE previewed the design, but in a 41mm case. The movement was the FP 1150, however, and not the in-house 1315 (if that means something to you), but otherwise it's a dead ringer for the Sport, albeit in a much more reasonably sized case.

They don't pop up for sale often, but they are out there. Keep your eyes peeled and you just may get lucky. While I'm not a huge fan of the FF Sport (size or design), the 50th Anniversary FF is definitely a well sorted out piece.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - FWIW, Blancpain has already ceased production of the ceramised titanium Bathyscaphe and replaced it with a conventional satin-brushed finished titanium cased version. Apparently the ceramised titanium was too difficult and expensive to produce at this price point, so once the existing models sell, that's all she wrote. Speculation has it that barely 100 were actually made.
    Last edited by craniotes; 3rd December 2013 at 01:32.

Banned
    Beautiful piece but ff in wg/blue dial (limited 50) is the way to go if considering something really special from Blancpain.