closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Generic watch parts (caseback)

Journeyman

Generic watch parts (caseback)

Hi all,

I have an old vintage Fortis that I am looking at refurbishing. It has a pretty dull and scratched up case back and I was thinking about replacing it with a display back (the movement is actually quite pretty, although simple).

Any idea where I could look for a generic part to fit my dimensions? Is it doable at all?

All the best,
    Fredrik

Grand Master
    Highly unlikely that you would find a back to fit.

Not a good idea in my opinion.

Paul

Journeyman
    Thanks, you are probably right.

An alternative, if it's vintage and not used for swimming, is to have a jeweller or watch guy modify the existing back - if centred on a lathe an accurate set of stepped circles can be cut which would allow a crystal to be bonded into place. The results can be fantastic and it's something I would definitely do to one of mine. You have to be sympathetic to the case back shape - if it's domed you need a domed crystal for movement clearance, and it's only worth doing if the threads or snap(s) engage perfectly with the case as is.

Craftsman
    Depending on the case back, it is possible to fit an acrylic crystal as a back (sometimes). A very cheap mod.

Depends on lots of things, particularly how the movement is held in but definitely possible. The end result will not be waterproof and will not be as robust as a proper caseback. You'll need a crystal press or lifters to get on of the right size in place.

I have done it to an old watch which had a very badly damaged caseback. Just don't pick a crystal that has a high dome.

However, If your existing caseback is just dull, it can be easily polished.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the advice!