closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best place to buy Euro's

Best place to buy Euro's

Guys,
    Any recommendations for the best place to buy currency?
    Have pretty much always used the Post Office as they're cloase and seem to have decent rates.

TIA

Master
    Blog Entries
    Try this comparison tool - http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com

I have used various companies from here and you can collect or have it delivered rmsd

my grandfather's got places abroad & he swears by http://www.moneycorp.com/uk/

hope this helps

If you have a Tesco credit card it's usually the best and most convenient bet if you want cash before you go.

Alternatively, get a Halifax Clarity credit card and just get your cash from an ATM when you get there. There'll be no charges and you get the proper bank rate (not the usual tourist rate). Interest charges are a pittance as long as you pay it all off straight away. (It's the 'Top Pick' in the moneysavingsexpert link above.)

just ordered some money online from travel:premier off a link from moneysavingexpert
    was the best rate going, paid for it via bacs so no bank charges should arrive today! - apparently there can be charges even if using a debit card and the rate was miles better than the post office (was buying AED not euros though)
    Last edited by amalgam786; 14th August 2013 at 12:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    If you have a Tesco credit card it's usually the best and most convenient bet if you want cash before you go.

Alternatively, get a Halifax Clarity credit card and just get your cash from an ATM when you get there. There'll be no charges and you get the proper bank rate (not the usual tourist rate). Interest charges are a pittance as long as you pay it all off straight away. (It's the 'Top Pick' in the moneysavingsexpert link above.)
    I also have the clarity card and its great for purchases as it gives a pure rate with no charges or commission but always thought there was a fee for cash advances on the credit card?

regards

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    I also have the clarity card and its great for purchases as it gives a pure rate with no charges or commission but always thought there was a fee for cash advances on the credit card?

regards
    Usually the atm owner charges you, usually about £3 per withdrawal but it tells you prior to using the machine

Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post

regards
    I'm pretty sure cash withdrawals are free. I find if I deposit some cash on the card before I travel I can keep any interest fees to very low level.

It's almost too good to be true but it's been going a while now and there's no sign of it ending.

Apprentice
    I've used fairfx for both currency and prepaid but it usually depends on how much your buying who is best.

Craftsman
    I was looking at this 5 weeks ago..... done all the checking etc.... post office was the best at the time... i also had one of the travel money cards in euro...

Regards

I'm told that the Ramsden's chain of pawnbrokers offers the best rate (by a cent or two) in most towns after 1400hrs.

TBH, I wouldn't bother about a couple of cents difference per euro on a thousand or so.

Craftsman
    Halifax clarity card user here too.
    I've never had a problem using it for free everywhere (hit and miss in Japan where some cashpoints charge or don't accept western cards)
    AFAIK Halifax generate zero charges for any use (interest charges start straight away for cash withdrawals though) and you get the Visa wholesale rate NOT punter rate.
    If there are going to be local charges for using cards this should be displayed at the time.

J

Just had a look back at the statement relating to my visit to the US in June/July.

I took out over £600 in cash and spent over £700 on goods/services. All transactions were done at the bank rate (so the best rate it's possible to get without the lender losing money) and my total charges, for interest, were £1.46.

That takes some beating I think.

Craftsman
    i have used the Travelex Euro cash passport for the last two years.

Seems to work well. Can recharge online, has always been accepted and the rate is usually better than the Post Ofice. No ATM charges with the euro version.

A bit confusing re recharge online if you dont arrange it directly with Travelex but through a third party instead.

The best rate I got was ordering online from Sainsburys (Travelex) & collecting in store. FairFX for the preloaded card!