closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody into AP?

Anybody into AP?

This just posted on the Facebook page "Wristshots".

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    i'll take the one with the black bezel nearest the hand, but the rest aren't for me... and as for the one nearest the camera???

Journeyman
    That's a fortune in watches ... Somehow I am not attracted to the AP "look".

I like AP, but not those APs — as exotic as 2002's CW1 may be. That photo effectively illustrates how the Offshore range is too bloated for an upper forearm, let alone a wrist.

Not keen on any of those.

It's not Malcolm68, is it?

I saw that one too, there are some stunning watches posted on there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd rather have the collective value in folding. There is so much nicer for that sort of expenditure, but as is said so frequently, each to their own.

I think a manicure may help those rather unpleasant looking fingernails too.

I wouldn't mind any one of those tbh!

Psst.. wanna buy a watch?

Cheers,

Plug

Well over 100k's worth of watches on that arm, I would be happy to be able to afford just one of those Royal Oak's, I think an AP will be my next big purchase..... hopefully.

Master
    An armful ranging from the vulgar to the grotesque.

Royal Oaks, yes please, had one loved it, but offshore heck no, bloaty version of a true classic IMHO

Ugly, the lot. I will have a Royal Oak 15300 one day, but one of those? Never.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Not keen on any of those.
    +1!

Master
    Rubberclad blackthemes is the only nice one (far left). Rest are pretty poor.

Craftsman
    The second one from the left is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I like AP, but not those APs — as exotic as 2002's CW1 may be. That photo effectively illustrates how the Offshore range is too bloated for an upper forearm, let alone a wrist.
    It really does, doesn't it. Ive yet to see one that doesn't look too big on the wrist - even on some really thick wrists.

AP are another brand with a distinctive look that does well when they keeps things classic and simple, but seem to descend into bloated bling to cater to those for whom the Royal Oak doesn't shout and scream loudly enough.
    Theyre not the worst culprit though, and It could be argued that fashion watches sell, so why shouldn't "serious" watch manufacturers knock a few models out to snare the richer punter - bad taste isn't exclusive to the wealthy, but they can certainly afford more of it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Rubberclad blackthemes is the only nice one (far left). Rest are pretty poor.
    The Royal Oak Concept (far right) is extremly rare. The Royal Oak Offshore calendar (with moonphase) is also pretty rare.
    Alinghi are more commun.

I doubt the guy owns all of them (too similar).

Quote Originally Posted by sebastien1985 View Post
    The Royal Oak Concept (far right) is extremly rare. The Royal Oak Offshore calendar (with moonphase) is also pretty rare.
    Alinghi are more commun.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Youre not really grasping this hobby though - there are people on this very forum with several of EXACTLY the same model of watch.

And its not at all unusual to see photos of a collector with watches, often rare, of a certain theme (incredibly similar - sometimes more so than those APs).

I hadn't realised my tastes were so conservative - I don't think any of those look like watches.

Master
    I have the new ROC and the only one there I would take is the RC.

I love AP.

However so many that don't care for them have never tried one on in my experience..........if you do that you might change your mind as they are fabulous watches. Had a RB II Titanium last year and loved every time I wore it out and it always got very positive reactions from both watch and non watch folks.

I prefer the Royal Oak models as opposed to the offshores.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Well over 100k's worth of watches on that arm, I would be happy to be able to afford just one of those Royal Oak's, I think an AP will be my next big purchase..... hopefully.
    I should think. The Concept piece alone is kissing $300K USD.

As for the Royal Oak as a whole, I'm a huge fan of Genta's work, so I'll take them all, thank you very much. That said, my all-time favorite remains the venerable Jumbo, and it's one piece that will go with me to the bitter end:

Still, I'd be lying if I said that this one didn't steal a lot of wrist time of late:

Regards,
    Adam
    Last edited by craniotes; 14th August 2013 at 15:51.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    This just posted on the Facebook page "Wristshots".

Eddie
    Whatever these cost to buy, or are worth on the market, my thoughts are..

Vulgar, vulgar, and..vulgar

Now a 15202 or 15300 isn't

Question

Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post

As for the Royal Oak as a whole, I'm a huge fan of Genta's work, so I'll take them all, thank you very much. That said, my all-time favorite remains the venerable Jumbo, and it's one piece that will go with me to the bitter end:

Regards,
    Adam

Hi Adam,

What's the model number you referred to as the Jumbo - one of the 15400 41mm???

Great pics by the way my friend!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Hi Adam,

What's the model number you referred to as the Jumbo - one of the 15400 41mm???

Great pics by the way my friend!
    The "Jumbo" is the ref. 15202, which clocks in at 39mm (back in 1972 when the watch debuted, that was considered large; my, how times have changed...). Unlike the other references, this one uses the legendary c.2121 ultra-thin movement, which gives it a thickness of just under 8mm. Proper Jumbos are easy to tell a glance by their lack of a second hand.

As for the pic in question, hey, even a no-talent idiot like myself gets lucky once in a while. Thanks!

Regards,
    Adam

The "Jumbo" is the ref. 15202, which clocks in at 39mm (back in 1972 when the watch debuted, that was considered large; my, how times have changed...). Unlike the other references, this one uses the legendary c.2121 ultra-thin movement, which gives it a thickness of just under 8mm. Proper Jumbos are easy to tell a glance by their lack of a second hand.

As for the pic in question, hey, even a no-talent idiot like myself gets lucky once in a while. Thanks!

Regards,
    Adam
    It's also the most perfected and versatile casual watch available, at least in my opinion.

Master
    Alinghi are more commun.

I'm aware of what it is. Doesn't make it any less ugly unfortunately.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    An armful ranging from the vulgar to the grotesque.
    Ive noticed you seem to be either a quite negative soul or just a troll! Not sure which but having slagged down the 'NATO on a SPeedy' it appears to be AP's turn this week!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Ive noticed you seem to be either a quite negative soul or just a troll! Not sure which but having slagged down the 'NATO on a SPeedy' it appears to be AP's turn this week!
    Either way he's right about the APs and most of the time I don't like Speedys on NATOs, so it's not just him!
    "A man of little significance"

[/URL]

Regards,
    Adam

Regards,
    Adam
    You're not the only idiot to get lucky! I've had mine years, and like you I can't see myself ever parting with it. The watch is beautifully detailed and the JLC produced movement is a work of art...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Either way he's right about the APs and most of the time I don't like Speedys on NATOs, so it's not just him!
    He isnt 'Right' about the AP's he has an opinion on them, an opinion which prevents him buying one and indeed the same opinion that prevents him placing a NATO on a Speedy! Im sure AP are nervous right now knowing they wont get your custom and Omega are delighted that you will retain the fine bracelet they created for you
    RIAC

All of those AP's are in the private collection of some chap who posts under the name @ayyp55 on Instagram and he has a ton of high end bits and bobs (mostly ugly in my opinion but each to their own).

http://web.stagram.com/n/ayyb55/

Master
    Neither a negative person nor a troll, just opinionated (who'd have thunk it?) on various matters pertaining to aesthetics and monetary value.
    I don't share the herd mentality of NATOs looking the dog's danglies, when they quite clearly don't — if that's construed as "slagging down" (the correct phrase is slagging off or putting down — not some hybrid combination of the two!), then you need plenty of molly-cuddling to prevent your fragile ego from fracturing.
    If you're made of sterner stuff than that, then my comments about AP and your NATO'd Speedy are but a whisper in the wind, drowned out by the euphony of adulation from those who share your viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Is Paypal okay or would you prefer a cheque?

He isnt 'Right' about the AP's he has an opinion on them, an opinion which prevents him buying one and indeed the same opinion that prevents him placing a NATO on a Speedy! Im sure AP are nervous right now knowing they wont get your custom and Omega are delighted that you will retain the fine bracelet they created for you
    I am right. I am also wrong, wholly dependent upon which particular viewpoint is being held.

My prevention from buying an AP is two-fold:
    1) They're unappealing, with only their bracelet being a somewhat redeeming feature.
    2) They're horrendously expensive, but if I had the requisite finances and nerve to wear that sort of money on my person, only GO would get a look in.

Bottom line, I am not you, you are not me.......Vive le différence!
    Last edited by PJ S; 16th August 2013 at 11:49.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Whatever these cost to buy, or are worth on the market, my thoughts are..

Vulgar, vulgar, and..vulgar

Now a 15202 or 15300 isn't
    i think the diver is very nice,and i believe that the fist watch the concept had a cost of about 220,000 USD i have actually put this watch on and i can assure you it looks at ugly in the flesh as in the images here,i actually have a couple of offshore, panda and rubber,rubber and they wear well,i don't find them to big.

Craftsman
    My favorite AP:

Unfortunately have to sell it :(

Craftsman

Remember, folks...

...opinions are like bungholes; everybody's got one.

I love the Royal Oak aesthetic, and while at times it can be perverted to a degree that even I find offensive (see the ROO "Survivor", if you want to know what turns my stomach), the basic design is an undisputed icon and and its debut back in '72 marked not only a turning point in AP's fortunes (they were on the brink of bankruptcy before they threw this hail Mary pass), but it also marked the birth of a new genre of watch, namely the luxury sport watch.

Ultimately, the design is a polarizing one, as evidence by this thread, but it remains significant all the same. Some people love it, some people hate it, but few are indifferent to it. Frankly, I don't know if I'm lucky or not that I "get" it, since it means it means that I'm that much poorer for having already put three on my wrist, with more to come, no doubt.

Regards,
    Adam

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got my first AP a few weeks ago.
    Don't really know an awful lot about the models but I know mine is a bit girly!

That's just your opinion and I'm sure you're very happy with it.

Last edited by Foxy100; 17th August 2013 at 05:47. Reason: Duplication
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    My favorite AP:

Unfortunately have to sell it :(
    That's an interesting one, what model is this?

Class watches but way to expensive IMO

...and I thought Rolex were the quintessential watch for the discerning rapper.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    That's an interesting one, what model is this?
    25920 - http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Aud...0789st~01.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Don't really know an awful lot about the models but I know mine is a bit girly!

Doesn't help that it's on pink leather!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Nice!!!!

I would wear thát one!

Just to change the subject a little anyone, know why the hex nut has a screwdriver slot?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Just to change the subject a little anyone, know why the hex nut has a screwdriver slot?
    Purely for looks. I recall seeing a Photoshop job without the slots and it looked a bit off.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Purely for looks. I recall seeing a Photoshop job without the slots and it looked a bit off.
    The whole hex nut is purely for looks. Screws from the inside into blind stud holes would have done the same job of mounting the bezel.

Design wise however Genta produced a gem with a case had a style homage called the Oysterquartz...