closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody into AP?

Blog Entries
    Royal scratch magnet.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Purely for looks. I recall seeing a Photoshop job without the slots and it looked a bit off.
    Yup. Genta's inspiration was a commercial diving helmet, though later on, folks would attribute the bit of filigree to the design of a ship's porthole. And as Ryan pointed out, it doesn't quite look right without the slots.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - As for Mr. Virk's swipe at the perceived delicate nature of the finish, I can assure you that Royal Oaks wear as well as any steel-cased watch. True, due to the nature of the hand finishing, scratches will be more visible in certain light and at certain angles, but they are no more "magnets" for scratches than any other watch. Indeed, my Jumbo still looks brand new (due, in no small part to its low profile on the wrist), while my old steel Diver, which was worn with the same careless abandon that I wear all my watches, was still in excellent condition when I offloaded it for a truly scratch-resistant AP, the Forged Carbon Diver.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    Yup. Genta's inspiration was a commercial diving helmet, though later on, folks would attribute the bit of filigree to the design of a ship's porthole. And as Ryan pointed out, it doesn't quite look right without the slots.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - As for Mr. Virk's swipe at the perceived delicate nature of the finish, I can assure you that Royal Oaks wear as well as any steel-cased watch. True, due to the nature of the hand finishing, scratches will be more visible in certain light and at certain angles, but they are no more "magnets" for scratches than any other watch. Indeed, my Jumbo still looks brand new (due, in no small part to its low profile on the wrist), while my old steel Diver, which was worn with the same careless abandon that I wear all my watches, was still in excellent condition when I offloaded it for a truly scratch-resistant AP, the Forged Carbon Diver.

Absolutely true, it's just me not wanting to damage the beautifull exterior of the (original SS) RO.
    That's why I left the very expensive watches behind me, it's not nice wearing watches and always worry about it being damaged.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I saw the Concept 1 up close several years ago (along with its funky hologram display thing).

Totally awesome.

If you were to offer me that as one watch for life I'd take you up on it in the blink of an eye.

The other bazillion-and-one variants on the Offshore, I'm not so keen on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

Absolutely true, it's just me not wanting to damage the beautifull exterior of the (original SS) RO.
    That's why I left the very expensive watches behind me, it's not nice wearing watches and always worry about it being damaged.

Daddel.
    That, I can understand, though in practice, I must say that my steel Diver wore quite well, without accruing any undue damage, beyond a hairline scratch here and there. Still, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't dreading a proper scratch down the road, which is all but inevitable with the way that I wear my watches. Unlike, say, Rolex, APs don't look better with the patina of age. In fact, I can't really think of any watch that ages as well as a Rolex, but that's for another post.

Regards,.
    Adam

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In fact, I can't really think of any watch that ages as well as a Rolex, but that's for another post.
    The Cartier Santos has no competition in that area.

If there would be a well made unbranded homage, I would get one. As it is, I can only admire them as an original is Veblen priced and faking is not my thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asimH View Post
    ...and I thought Rolex were the quintessential watch for the discerning rapper.
    Maybe circa 1995, but it's been "AP all the way" for many years now. Hence their movement towards uglier IMO designs.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Definitely growing on me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Royal scratch magnet.

Daddel.
    This is true. My colleague has one which gets minimal wear and the amount of visible damage is remarkable. It appears to be in worse condition than his many years old Speedmaster.

Craftsman
    rose gold rubber rubber for me is the best AP out there in the offshore range ,awesome.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    Rich show off.

Or Successful tea leaf?
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Craftsman
    certainly neither,just love that watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Nice!!!!

I would wear thát one!

It wears well for a small watch

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    This just posted on the Facebook page "Wristshots".

Eddie
    Nice!

Craftsman
    Not keen on any of them to be honest.

Craftsman
    I like the AP closest to his hand, the rest not so much.

I think they have diluted the range way too much, with seemingly a special edition for just about everything.

Whoever's that wrist it has really thin wrists, and APs just don't suit a wrist that thin.

Go fine on my 8" wrist though.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wink Have a look atbthe respective boxes too.

Don't know how/why this old thread got kicked up but thanks.

Yup. Genta's inspiration was a commercial diving helmet, though later on, folks would attribute the bit of filigree to the design of a ship's porthole.
    Technically the one piece case with front window Zlatoust diver is the diving helmet equivalent.

More than fun this: The Veblen AP is a design based on the helmet. The very affordable Agat made dive watch is the real thing.

Thanks again for kicking this thread up!

Banned
    At some stage those watches may have been interesting to somebody, but that was at least 10 years ago. These days they just look vulgar.

Wow, I mean like WOW, if only I could afford one of those,, I'd definitely buy something ELSE.

# 1 and #4 .The rest are downright Fugly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lst65 View Post
    Nice!
    You resurrected a year old post, just to say "nice"???!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Well, I was happy

fFs, in the véblen , a bįcŷçłë sèát , børsólïno!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    It's a free country (mostly), anyway I checked they weren't a member when this post started :-)

Personally I don't mind the occasional dinosaur being resurrected if it means fewer duplicate threads.

Back, vaguely, on topic I think the original Royal Oak is a great design concept but, for me, it's better with fewer complications and adornments. I will probably buy one someday together with one of his Ingenieurs. I'm not taken with much of Genta's self-branded stuff though, most of the it just seems to be knock-offs of his own work.

I keep trying to like GO but much as I admire the precise quality of the watchmaking I think their designs lack 'soul'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHawkins View Post
    It's a free country (mostly), anyway I checked they weren't a member when this post started :-)

Personally I don't mind the occasional dinosaur being resurrected if it means fewer duplicate threads.

I just think if you are resurrecting a year old thread, it is etiquette to make mention of the fact. It's usually new members that do this - as a way of bumping up their post count - resurrecting ancient threads with pointless single word posts, such as "nice!"...
    Come on, you dont need me to tell you this, do you?!

Craftsman
    I just think if you are resurrecting a year old thread, it is etiquette to make mention of the fact. It's usually new members that do this - as a way of bumping up their post count - resurrecting ancient threads with pointless single word posts, such as "nice!"...
    Come on, you dont need me to tell you this, do you?!
    It's not pointless for new members, they can't see SC until they get over the first threshold. I still much prefer a one-word dinosaur to a vapid new thread.
    And, no, I didn't need telling but I don't mind that you did :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just think if you are resurrecting a year old thread, it is etiquette to make mention of the fact.
    Ah etiquette....
    Etiquette as in good manners is not always high on the list of priorities over here.
    Etiquette as in the label sometimes a bit too much imo. For some reason AP seems to escape the adoration aspects of this. The footballer image perhaps? Just another aspect of the label thing again

Journeyman
    If I didn't know better, I'd think they were £15 specials from the Argos catalogue.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ballin View Post
    If I didn't know better, I'd think they were £15 specials from the Argos catalogue.
    No, there's simply too much metal in most of them ;-)

They weren't nice a year ago.

Grand Master
    Don't know how/why this old thread got kicked up but thanks.
    nice watch
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Well, I was happy
    Of course you were...... You managed to get a Veblen in there...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Of course you were...... You managed to get a Veblen in there...
    There was an overdose of that in the topic opener already

A brand that has never interested me one little bit. Left to right.............from ugly to uglier IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by NJHawkins View Post
    I
    Back, vaguely, on topic I think the original Royal Oak is a great design concept but, for me, it's better with fewer complications and adornments.
    I agree with you there, I'm a long time fan of the Royal Oak design and IMHO find it the most visually appealing of the Genta designed watches.

The Royal Oak case/bracelet with its sharp chamfers, bolts angular design are enough to give the watch an interesting look. Adding a plethora of sub-dials, mad colors or exposed movement make the watch visually too complicated (and constrasty, but not in a nice way), which is kind of unfortunate as i like the idea of their peripheral rotor tourbillon, the reality is a bit meh.

The 44mm case size on some of the range doesn't help either since the watches wear ALOT larger due to their design.
    I.E. the 42mm Diver, which on paper should be fairly sensible, looks a helluva lot bigger. As an experiment I hid the lugs using electrical tape (like you do) so the "width" was made up by the bezel only, and visually the watch was a lot smaller and possibly a tad more sensible looking.

They may be not everyone's cup of tea, but i like them.