closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SMITHS SEAFIRE – PVD Instrument Watch

The Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Sorry, was not aware of the Seafire connection....regardless it will sound more naval to many observers.

As a Yorkshireman, I used to go to Finningley as a kid, and that is where my emotional link to the V Bombers comes from. From a purely marketing perspective, Vulcan has the Star Trek overtones, Victor is maybe a bit 'Meldrew' in the UK and I had, embarrassingly, forgotten about the Valiant.

I am sure I am in the minority, but I always like a date as it helps me in meetings remember it at a glance.....I could use a phone, iPad, PC or Newspaper, but I like to look at my watch :-)
    Hi nice to see a reference to the Vulcan. I would love to seea Vulcan hoamge from Eddie too.
    My Father flew from Finningley; and captained the Valliant, Victor and Vulcan, and was part of the Vulcan air display team too as well as being an instructor. The Vulcan was the plane that always held his heart because of how beautifuylly it flew, he considered it to be remarkable. The last one he flew was XH558 for a display. So Smiths V too Eddie, Fleiger style or Showa/IWC Portuguese chrono with elegant hands will be just dandy

Craftsman
    Never been interested in having a PVD watch but good design is good design and this is a watch I can see myself happily buying.
    The dimensions cited (38mm and 20mm lug width) seem right with the revised rendering being spot on.
    I'd be happy with a hand wound or quartz movement.

Apprentice
    Yeah, the grab-and-go attraction of a quartz appeals for this utilitarian yet lovely design...

I like both designs.

Not fussed about the size of the crown, but wouldn't want it to be any smaller, especially if it's going to be a hand wound.

Think the hands look a fantastic length and shape, although I'm not keen on the green tip particularly. Presumably the rest will be lumed, so think it may look better without that touch of colour. OR make it more of a feature. Was wondering what it would look like in green & black stripes a la the Aqua Terra 15000 gauss. I imagine that it could get classed as ripping off Omega's idea, but I think it could look quite stylish without being over the top.

A date would ruin the dial, and the font chosen for the numbers looks perfect. I actually prefer these to the numerals Bremont chose.

Not fussed what straps it would come with as let's face it, we're all going to buy aftermarket ones anyway to try and inject our own personality into the look of it. But it would be nice if it came with a NATO with PVD fittings, and also a leather strap with a signed PVD buckle. I'm thinking of the PRS-68's buckle PVD.

Size-wise, as lots of people are saying 38mm and the rest are saying 40mm, then surely 39mm would make the most sense!

Tris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    In consultation with Mr Platts the size will be 38-40mm, PVD case, stainless case back, no date, name as is, Green stripe NATO. Movement TBC.
    Oh good - I waasn't too fussed on the leather - the NATO looks great. 39mm is a good size and few brands are using it, so less competition.

Any chance of dropping the M from the 100M on the dial and having this as the Seafire 100 - leaving room for a sub brand, and perhaps a Seafire 300 etc. fro the future?
    It's just a matter of time...

As noted elsewhere, a decent quartz movement would be ideal. Eddie's releasing two relatively expensive watches, something more in reach of us commoners would be nice.

Beautiful - would buy one of those in a shot. 38 or 40mm ok, 20mm lugs, sapphire crystal, long life quartz or the Miyota 9015. If you're calling it a Seafire (nice choice) I'd prefer 20 bar water resistance and a screw crown.
    Steve

Journeyman
    The more I look at this the more I am inclined to agree with some others that the green tip on the second hand is a bit of detail for details sake, albeit a nice one.
    I love the contrast between the PVD and the green but does it need more than just automatic in green? Perhaps Smiths as well or a green seconds hand or green on the central bits of the hands replacing the black..

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    Think the hands look a fantastic length and shape, although I'm not keen on the green tip particularly. Presumably the rest will be lumed, so think it may look better without that touch of colour. OR make it more of a feature. Was wondering what it would look like in green & black stripes a la the Aqua Terra 15000 gauss. I imagine that it could get classed as ripping off Omega's idea, but I think it could look quite stylish without being over the top.

Tris
    If the Smiths *did* have that pattern on the seconds hand, there'd be no need to worry - it wasn't Omega's idea.

I like the rendering a lot, however I do have a few thoughts.

The knurled crown is reminiscent of Bremont MB2, and referencing the Seafire comes across as very Bremont like and just a bit contrived. Nothing wrong with a number, or just "Smiths aviation" to contrast with "Smiths Military".

40mm is contemporary, much like the Sinn 856 and Damasko DA36, and offers a different choice to the PRS 29A.

Hand wind I like (2801/4), but a cheaper quartz option would be a nice alternative, think PRS 18 A/Q. Happy with no date.

Bit cold on PVD as it will wear, but can live with it. I don't think any colour is needed on the dial or hands, nothing wrong with white on black. Less is more, so no writing other than the makers name

Just a thought, what about having the arabics at quarters bigger, not quite Sinn 656, but more noticeable than the non quarter numerals?

Watch the price point too, as the PRS 30 is pretty expensive. Think 29A for the more expensive hand wind.

Lots to like here though.

David

Apprentice
    Amazing! this is the first PVD-cased watch that I've 'fancied'! :))) Well done OP.

Name: Seafire ... like it :) Vulcan ... love it! Alternatively, there's Merlin (engines, not beardy fella)

Strap: Leather with green accent - WOW!

Date: my 29B spends most of its life in my watch box cos it's not got a date ... surely we can make a very discrete date window a la "Stowa Flieger with date". (Perhaps black background and silver-grey text). Not sure about the 3 o'clock position though.

Movement: handwound all the way ... automatics-plus-watch-collection are a bit of a hassle. Now a total convert to hand-winding.

Size: No more than 39mm ... apologies to the big-wristed forum-buddies, but if the 29B is anything to go by (where 39mm is only *just* wearable) then 40+mm would be impossible for many of us wrist-ily challenged types.

Overall design: fantastic.

Price: same region as 29B (any more and some of my collection might have to head to the great 'Bay in the sky).

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    If the Smiths *did* have that pattern on the seconds hand, there'd be no need to worry - it wasn't Omega's idea.
    Ha, yeah Omega didn't invent stripes, just didn't want to suggest something that would get classed as being unoriginal.

The original design is superb - the simplicity really does evoke a classic instrument dial.

The revised version with the green tip is trying a bit too hard, and loses some authenticity in the process.

Journeyman
    Looks like another winner to me. Being an aviation inspired watch, I'm assuming the case will have a soft iron inner case for mag resistance? Might make it a bit close to the 29a and b, but I think the design is different enough that it shouldn't be an issue. My preference would be for a 9015 auto.

Grand Master
    I really like this, I'm for 38mm with green stitched leather and a mechanical movement, or would it be possible to do an auto quartz/ kinetic or solar?
    (Runs and hides.....)
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman
    Please, please make a quartz version!

Looks great in v1 or 2.
    One suggestion. If it's hand wind, you really need a bigger crown. Hand winding a small crown is a no go.
    The hand wind PRS20 is fantastic to wind, mostly because of it's generous crown.

I think this is a corking design and could buy it in either iteration. Would look stunning on a bund too. My 2 pennies on movement though. The second hand would need to drop right on to the seconds indices on the dial (it's an instrument after all, and they are meant to be accurate), which IMHO rules out quartz as an option (well the ronda movement anyway). A mechanical movement, either auto or handwind, I really dont care, which would allow that second hand to sweep would truly bring the design alive...
    But when this one is released it will be on my must have list...

EDIT: I meant to ask. Is this a fantasy 'what if post' or is it sponsored by our host Mr P?

Revision 1

Amends:
    Green tip Seconds hand
    Great Britain on dial
    Hands match hour indices
    Crown 90% smaller
    Last edited by holio cornolio; 13th August 2013 at 09:44.

Craftsman
    I like the look of this one very much.

For me it would have a mechanical movement, as the previous poster mentioned the sweep of a mech movement would look so much better on this watch than the tock of a quartz. I would also prefer a manual movement, the knurled cross-hatching on the crown looks so tactile, it needs to be caressed on a daily basis. Oh and certainly no date either.

Do I get paid royalties for suggesting the green tipped second hand? If so, I will gladly waive them in return for the first complete watch off the line ;)

Quote Originally Posted by holio cornolio View Post
    EDIT: I meant to ask. Is this a fantasy 'what if post' or is it sponsored by our host Mr P?
    It's got Eddie's backing, due 2014.

I like it.

Manual wind mechanism (with a quartz option, maybe? Heresy?) and I really like the green striped NATO so include that in the package.

39-40mm sounds about right, bigger than that and it's venturing into 'clock on your wrist' B&R territory, imo.

Not sold on the green second hand tip, how about a red tip?

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The reason I suggested a quartz (or handwind) is because the new G10 / PRS10 was being discussed a few months ago.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?240034-New-W10

A PVD quartz version might help to fill the gap until the PRS10 replacement is finalised.

I want that one!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Yup - assuming a mechanical movement I would buy that.
    A quartz option would suit that watch design in my opinion.

What no bracelet, mesh or rubber?
    PVD mesh would be very cool.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 13th August 2013 at 16:28.

It's got Eddie's backing, due 2014.
    Perfect. Time to save a bit then, having just put a £230 dent in the watch fund to replace a full exhaust system including cat. Fecking cars eh?....

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    Ha, yeah Omega didn't invent stripes, just didn't want to suggest something that would get classed as being unoriginal.
    What I meant was that striped hands have been around on instruments / clocks / dials for a lot longer than the Aqua Terra. Take a look at the left-hand side of the cockpit in the photo below; it's an American 'plane, so more Waltham than Smiths, but I'm sure you get the general idea.

Cockpit by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    What I meant was that striped hands have been around on instruments / clocks / dials for a lot longer than the Aqua Terra. Take a look at the left-hand side of the cockpit in the photo below; it's an American 'plane, so more Waltham than Smiths, but I'm sure you get the general idea.

Cockpit by Noodlefish, on Flickr
    Ahhh, I'm with you now. Thanks for the picture.

In which case I'd definitely like to see a mock up with a striped second hand. I was originally thinking black/green, but that would mean no lume unless some was added to the tip like the AT 15000 has. But seeing the pic you've posted I wonder what it would look like with a white (lumed)/green stripe hand. Don't think it would look as nice, but the lume could look cool when lit up in the dark.

Or just leave the hand completely white. Sorry, just not keen on the green just on the tip of the hand.

Tris

All white second hand for me too.

I reckon the green tip adds something, or maybe red.

A red-tipped second hand was a feature, perhaps even a sort of trademark, of the Smiths of yore.

Here's a old, crappy photo of a Deluxe, an Astral and an Everest in my modest collection, all with red-tipped second hand.

Looks great :)

How about naming it the Lightning after the English Electric Lightning with a Rolex Milgauss lightning bolt second hand in yellow and black.

Rather crude rendition, but how about moving the green to the counterweight?

M

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    You'll get as many opinions as people answering on this, but IMHO, part of the charm is in the simplicity, and the addition of another colour makes it look busy. I have nothing against the red, but the seafire script, I think needs to match the tip of the seconds hand. Just my 2 pennies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by holio cornolio View Post
    You'll get as many opinions as people answering on this, but IMHO, part of the charm is in the simplicity, and the addition of another colour makes it look busy. I have nothing against the red, but the seafire script, I think needs to match the tip of the seconds hand. Just my 2 pennies.
    I agree. Too many colours makes it too busy. I'd keep the green tip on the second hand but reduce it so that it is the same length as the minute markers.

Quote Originally Posted by alljay View Post
    I agree. Too many colours makes it too busy. I'd keep the green tip on the second hand but reduce it so that it is the same length as the minute markers.
    I agree with the point on the length of the tip colouration, although I'm sticking with the red tip.

For me, the small amount of red just lifts it (the green tip is lost amongst all the black, imo).
    M

Journeyman
    I think the dial looks best with all white seconds hand ... the colour takes away from the beautiful simplicity of the design. the green "SEAFIRE' has enough colour to keep it interesting but not overwhelming.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by srivats View Post
    I think the dial looks best with all white seconds hand ... the colour takes away from the beautiful simplicity of the design. the green "SEAFIRE' has enough colour to keep it interesting but not overwhelming.
    What he said. I don't normally comment but I will buy this one when it comes out and I really hope the seconds hand is all white...

I want that!

I wouldn't change a thing to the design, including the seconds hand, perfect as it is. 38 X 11 mm, with a domed sapphire and inside an ETA 2801 would be great.

As for the name: how about Smiths Dragon (technically, it's a Spitfire). The coat is prepared, I'll take it if needed...

This is the version for me:

Very nice, if its an auto or manual wind.

First thing i thought was Bremont too.
    Still not sure on Great Britain on the dial, unless its assembled here.

Great renderings, wish i had the skills!

While I like the concept and the design, I'm not a fan of PVD. It never seems to wear well.

But it's a tool watch: it's meant to show some form of 'cool' wear.

Master
    What a cracker, cannot wait for this one, I will take the Nato and leather straps too cheers.

Yep, I'm liking that, especially of it is 38mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
    One suggestion. If it's hand wind, you really need a bigger crown. Hand winding a small crown is a no go.
    Spot on. 100% in agreement.

BTW I still see the hour hand a bit too short. Am I the only one that sees a SHS in the design?
    Last edited by angeche; 14th August 2013 at 08:42.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    Looks good, just think the Great Britain looks a bit unbalanced.
    Has been since the seventies dear boy
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Big crown good , small crown bad . Having originally suggested a colour tipped seconds hand I would like to backtrack and say it looks better without . Less is more , simplicity is the key in this type of watch . I prefer the original version . I would like to see two versions : a cheap quartz 'everyman' for everyday wear and a collectors LE de luxe auto with a display back and domed crystal to keep the safe queen spec nerd brigade happy .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Big crown good , small crown bad . Having originally suggested a colour tipped seconds hand I would like to backtrack and say it looks better without . Less is more , simplicity is the key in this type of watch . I prefer the original version . I would like to see two versions : a cheap quartz 'everyman' for everyday wear and a collectors LE de luxe auto with a display back and domed crystal to keep the safe queen spec nerd brigade happy .
    I prefer the coloured tip. And I love the idea on a quartz and auto version.