closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SMITHS SEAFIRE – PVD Instrument Watch

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Yup - assuming a mechanical movement I would buy that.

Master
    Whoa! Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    That looks great Chris! Sure we can have a multi striped nato, single green striped one and a leather with green stitch. The perfect package.
    What no bracelet, mesh or rubber?

Looks fantastic, really lifts the whole design and makes the green text stand out.

Very nice. Regarding the counterweight on the second hand, could you make it sit further away from the centre point, displacing it from the central black region and thereby making more of a feature of the fact that it contrasts with the white of the hands as it passes? Screwdown crown? And I know no one else will want this, but what about a date window at three, white numerals on a black background?

Martin

Possibly in the minority here, but I generally prefer watches with date.

Looks good, just think the Great Britain looks a bit unbalanced.
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Hmm... S.U.F has already snatched the Myrsky model name. Any decent WW2 planes left? Lancaster perhaps, for the night ops theme colour?

What no bracelet, mesh or rubber?
    Well we don't want to ask for to much Chris! haha. I think it looks great on what you have mocked up - would a rubber suit it? I think leather myself...

Master
    Very nice looking concept!! Given the dark colour scheme, how about naming it after the Westland Lysander, known for night-time STOL clandestine pick-ups and deliveries? (BTW, there is a beautifully restored specimen in the Udvar-Hazy Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum (near Dulles airport, Virginia))

Cheers,
    Gert

Fantastic design.

Anywhere between 38 - 40mm and I'll buy one

Beautiful. Hand wound, please.

I love the crown aspect.

BMW, are my eyes deceiving me or the hour hand is a bit short?

A Scottish watchmaker who goes by the name of obsoletewatchparts on MWR (a member here?) posted this photo recently. He had a Smiths W10 with a wrecked, i.e. over-restored, case so did this to it.

Credit photo- obsoletewatchparts, MWR forum.

like the 'Made in England' along the bottom of the dial there!

Really like the design. I think that's why I ordered one of these when it was announced by ATG Vintage Watches:

Bremont styling with a load more of the Smiths Instruments heritage. Green numerals from the dials, etc. The photo is from a prototype. Not yet seen a photo of the production model...
    Last edited by Broussard; 12th August 2013 at 20:37.

looks really nice - been after something like this but it'd need to be 40mm for me as I've got fat wrists!

Master
    Love the design and the proportions are spot on.

Dave

Craftsman
    Love it on either leather or plain black NATO.

I'd love it to be a hand wind if possible.

I'm also in the minority as I'd like it to be 39-40mm......but I'd buy it anyway!

Master
    That looks great, Chris. 40mm plus a date-function would be perfect.

Cheers,

Jay

+1 for 40mm

Not PVD but I love the second hand on this 38mm Ogival. Love the concept!

Journeyman
    Really like design but 38mm too small. Would consider if 42mm+

I'm with Optimum: I like everything about that.

Torn between the original design and the revision with the tipped seconds hand (which, possibly successfully, sacrifices legibility, clarity, and sound design for flashy design-by-committee IMO).

Yes please. Love the simplicity and instant readability. Less IS more.

Hand wind might put it put it to close to the 29a though?

Totally agree with the above. Looks better without the green tip IMHO.

Simply lovely & would fit the gap vacated by my PVD Hamilton perfectly, if the price is right i'm in.

Great work, Chris. Love it.

If I were being super-picky, I'd love it if the green on the second hand extended exactly as far as the hour marker, not to just beyond, and if the shaped end only crossed the black of the main hands, that would be perfect, too.

How about MADE IN | BRITAIN to introduce some balance to the text at the bottom?

Supplied with a black leather NATO and nylon NATO would be perfect (black fittings, but no green would make the green bits on the watch even more subtle imho).

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    Looks fantastic.
    38mm is perfect. No bigger than 40.
    The trend for big watches makes me want to vomit with rage.

Journeyman
    That is a very handsome watch. Great black and green contrast. Manual wind me thinks.

Master
    I like it as it is with no date and no bracelet. 38mm would be a perfect size.

I like it, but I think it is missing something.

Firstly, the name needs to be something aeronautical, maybe a lesser known aircraft. My emotional thinking immediately went to the V planes due to the Falklands connection, but they are also pretty naff names....

For good or bad, the one thing Bremont tend to bring to the party is a design "feature". It may be the coloured central barrel or a tail to a second hand, but they do it quite well.....and charge for the privilege. I do think this watch needs that extra thing to avoid being a Smiths equivalent of a general purpose watch.

I will leave the more imaginative amongst us to come up with the ideas, but I think maybe a velcro strap with some kind of linked design feature to the watch itself may just lift this to perfection.

Oh, and of course a date, because all watches should have one.

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post

Firstly, the name needs to be something aeronautical, maybe a lesser known aircraft. My emotional thinking immediately went to the V planes due to the Falklands connection, but they are also pretty naff names....

Oh, and of course a date, because all watches should have one.

The Seafire was the naval version of the Spitfire, adapted for aircraft carrier use - isn't that aeronautical enough or lesser known aircraft enough?

The V bombers is not such a daft suggestion, perhaps not for this watch but something in the future. There were V bombers based at RAF Finningley - so there would be a nice Yorkshire connection - and I don't agree about the naffness; Smiths Vulcan or Smiths Victor or Smiths Valiant sound rather splendid in my not so humble opinion.

As for the date, I believe Mr Flatts has said in the past 'If you want to know the date, buy a newpaper'.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    The Seafire was the naval version of the Spitfire, adapted for aircraft carrier use - isn't that aeronautical enough or lesser known aircraft enough?

The V bombers is not such a daft suggestion, perhaps not for this watch but something in the future. There were V bombers based at RAF Finningley - so there would be a nice Yorkshire connection - and I don't agree about the naffness; Smiths Vulcan or Smiths Victor or Smiths Valiant sound rather splendid in my not so humble opinion.

As for the date, I believe Mr Flatts has said in the past 'If you want to know the date, buy a newpaper'.
    Sorry, was not aware of the Seafire connection....regardless it will sound more naval to many observers.

As a Yorkshireman, I used to go to Finningley as a kid, and that is where my emotional link to the V Bombers comes from. From a purely marketing perspective, Vulcan has the Star Trek overtones, Victor is maybe a bit 'Meldrew' in the UK and I had, embarrassingly, forgotten about the Valiant.

I am sure I am in the minority, but I always like a date as it helps me in meetings remember it at a glance.....I could use a phone, iPad, PC or Newspaper, but I like to look at my watch :-)

In consultation with Mr Platts the size will be 38-40mm, PVD case, stainless case back, no date, name as is, Green stripe NATO. Movement TBC.

Master
    Would really like it if that green detail leather strap could be in there somewhere too.
    Otherwise that sounds great.

Apprentice
    I feel a bit speaking out of turn, but I prefer the second hand without the green tip. I find it a little distracting, and kind of a detail just for its own sake. Also 38mm and a flat crystal would be my preference. Anyway, I really like the design. My father is a private pilot and I spent a lot of time around planes and their equipment growing up, and this hits the mark for me.

In consultation with Mr Platts the size will be 38-40mm, PVD case, stainless case back, no date, name as is, Green stripe NATO. Movement TBC.
    Excellent renderings! The specifications sound great, but I feel it should keep to the 38mm end of the scale. Not fussed by the choice of movement.

Apprentice
    That looks really lovely, and I'd be very tempted even though I'm not a PVD fan; of course if I were putting in my tuppence's worth, a non-PVD option would be great...

...<snip>

For good or bad, the one thing Bremont tend to bring to the party is a design "feature". It may be the coloured central barrel or a tail to a second hand, but they do it quite well.....and charge for the privilege. I do think this watch needs that extra thing to avoid being a Smiths equivalent of a general purpose watch...<snip>
    I didn't realise Timefactors was in competition with Bremont.

Repeat after me: Less is more. ​Less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Very much so in this case... hence my hope for a hand wound movement in a thin case ;)

Master
    Looks and sounds spot on as it is. Put me down in the 40mm rather than 38mm camp though.

The more I look, the more I think this was right before the design-by-committee adjustment. So much cleaner, crisper, and clearer without distraction.

At 38mm, that makes it slightly smaller than a PRS-3 yes?

Master
    Lovely.

Fondest memory I have from my time at Westlands was watching one of these beauties buzz the airfield repeatedly, everyone was crammed at the windows looking for the next pass. Westlands of course built a lot of these planes. The watch is a fitting tribute to a fantastic part of our aviation heritage.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, was not aware of the Seafire connection....regardless it will sound more naval to many observers.

As a Yorkshireman, I used to go to Finningley as a kid, and that is where my emotional link to the V Bombers comes from. From a purely marketing perspective, Vulcan has the Star Trek overtones, Victor is maybe a bit 'Meldrew' in the UK and I had, embarrassingly, forgotten about the Valiant.

I am sure I am in the minority, but I always like a date as it helps me in meetings remember it at a glance.....I could use a phone, iPad, PC or Newspaper, but I like to look at my watch :-)
    Nice to see you back posting Jon!

Rob

Just a thought... How well would the PVD'd treated crown stand up to daily winding with a mechanical movement?

I said earlier that I think manual wind is perfect but I'd be very happy with quartz and considering the PRS-10 is now discontinued I think this Smiths is its ideal replacement in the Platts legacy.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Just a thought... How well would the PVD'd treated crown stand up to daily winding with a mechanical movement?
    Don't know... I only have one PVD watch and it is quite elderly, and certainly the worst of the wear is on the crown - and that isn't even hand wound!

Maybe PVD tech has moved on, or maybe the watch could be supplied with a spare crown?

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I didn't realise Timefactors was in competition with Bremont.

I don't believe that TF is in competition with Bremont specifically, however it would also be a little daft not to learn lessons from others. Almost all successful design orientated brands carry a design theme or set of themes.

One of the biggest differentiators between the big brands and the small is the link between watch head and strap/bracelet. As we all know, Eddie goes the extra mile in this regard compared to other smaller producers, often using specially sourced or manufactured items. I do however believe that the step beyond this is actually the design equivalent of in-house movements. Once the two items carry a theme together the watch becomes a different proposition.

As for less is more......I have worn a Smiths Everest almost every day since the launch. I even 'cope' without a date.

Oooooh

Is it ready now?.... can I have it now please? please pretty please

Journeyman
    What about lume? I was wondering if there is a way of producing a backlit dial appearance.