closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
Results 1,051 to 1,096 of 1096

Thread: SMITHS SEAFIRE – PVD Instrument Watch

Fair comment. Only the canvas comes in olive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Fair comment. Only the canvas comes in olive.
    While similar in colour scheme and inspiration, mine has a busier dial (and also some yellow on the dial). Will post when it arrives:

Master
    Beautiful bremont!

Craftsman
    Did you ever get a reply to your question?

I've just picked up a Seafire through a WTB - the minute hand on mine moves at 12s, 32s & 52s as well

thanks

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    It was noted above that the minute had advances at 20 second intervals. Mine does this as 12s, 32s and 52s.

As I cannot find anything on the web, I've asked ISASwiss for info on how to align the stepper motors so that the hand advances at 20s, 40s and on the minute. I'll post their reply. Here's hoping...

Blog Entries
    As I cannot find anything on the web, I've asked ISASwiss for info on how to align the stepper motors so that the hand advances at 20s, 40s and on the minute. I'll post their reply. Here's hoping...
    Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    I ordered a couple of Brady sailcloth straps direct from their website (exchanged emails with Todd) on December 1st, but nothing has arrived yet. Christmas rush (or Christmas post) perhaps?
    Update for anyone that may be interested in how long Brady straps might take to arrive.

I ordered mine on December 1st, (as above, two straps) and I found out from Todd today that the order was despatched on December 19th. They haven't arrived here yet.

UPDATE - The straps finally arrived on January 24th!!
    Last edited by Ian_O; 30th January 2015 at 17:42. Reason: New info

Master
    Very nice watches, my dear old Dad who sadly passed away in October used to have a fantastic mk1 Triumph GT6 and I'm certain it also had Smiths oil pressure and temperature gauges, speedo, revs etc

Update for anyone that may be interested in how long Brady straps might take to arrive.

I ordered mine on December 1st, (as above, two straps) and I found out from Todd today that the order was despatched on December 19th. They haven't arrived here yet.
    I ordered mine Dec 20 the and it was he when I got back from holiday (Jan 10), not too bad over the holidays...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Very nice watches, my dear old Dad who sadly passed away in October used to have a fantastic mk1 Triumph GT6 and I'm certain it also had Smiths oil pressure and temperature gauges, speedo, revs etc
    Have you seen this? It's in the pipeline. Might be a nice reminder.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post3147605

Master
    Thanks Dazzler a nice reminder indeed. I seem to recall all the circular gauges had a chrome angled surround that gave a very striking appearance with the mahogany dash board. Of course that's been reflected in my vote. I will keep a careful eye on this now.

It was noted above that the minute had advances at 20 second intervals. Mine does this as 12s, 32s and 52s.

Did you ever get e response to your query?

Ian

Did you ever get e response to your query?

Ian
    No, I'm afraid that I did not. And I must apologise for not having posted this earlier...sorry.

I have grown rather used to it, except that it happens at an odd (or even!) n2 second point. It means the minute hand is aligned with the nearest correct point while the second hand sweeps through 20 seconds.
    Last edited by PickleB; 30th January 2015 at 18:20.

No, I'm afraid that I did not. And I must apologise for not having posted this earlier...sorry.

I have grown rather used to it, except that it happens at an odd (or even!) n2 second point. It means the minute hand is aligned with the nearest correct point while the second hand sweeps through 20 seconds.
    OK, not to worry, thanks anyway. It doesn't bother me massively, but is one of those things I'd prefer was different, and if there had been a relatively straightforward way to resolve it I would have been interested.

I have a Breitling B-1 and enjoy watching the minute hand on that one move in half minute intervals precisely as the second hand hits 6 and 12!

hey I liked that Smith with the black leather and green stitching on the first page to this thread I will not repost the picture as it was massive. but I liked the clean lines of the watch.. nice.

Blog Entries

It's frustrating that you didn't get a response. Did they say nothing at all?

Unless I'm missing a subtlety here, it should be possible to simply re-align the second and/or minute hand to get things correct. No need to alter the motors.

In other words: The minute would need to be re-aligned if it wasn't exactly on the 0/20/40 positions and the second would need to be re-aligned to ensure that the minute hand moved when the second hand was on the 0/20/40 positions. One or both of these should (if I understand correctly) be able to get it right.

Apprentice
    How does the PVD hold up? anyone had any scratches yet? was thinking abt the Damasko DA 36 in black because of the touchness of the case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakkajai View Post
    How does the PVD hold up? anyone had any scratches yet? was thinking abt the Damasko DA 36 in black because of the touchness of the case.
    All good with mine so far seems very durable.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a bloody fine watch all round. It even accessorises!

Have worn mine pretty much constantly since I got it before Christmas.
    Just seems to go with everything!
    Might see about a PVD buckle for my stingray leather strap and give it a go on that.

Journeyman
    Although I've seen some pictures of smith watches on the forums i never looked into them until i registered on tz-uk and came across this thread.

Black cases are not my cup of tea but this model made me reconsider my likings. And although I like it very much, the fact that it has an quartz movement is a drawback for me. Is there a mechanical version of this model by any chance?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_hx View Post
    And although I like it very much, the fact that it has an quartz movement is a drawback for me. Is there a mechanical version of this model by any chance?
    I don't think there is a mech version of this.

I am not trying to pick a fight but I am curious: Why do you find quartz to be a drawback for this one? It has a ISA9500-1010 movement which ticks four times a second so it looks much more like a mechanical watch than most quartzes.

Although I've seen some pictures of smith watches on the forums i never looked into them until i registered on tz-uk and came across this thread.

Black cases are not my cup of tea but this model made me reconsider my likings. And although I like it very much, the fact that it has an quartz movement is a drawback for me. Is there a mechanical version of this model by any chance?
    No, there is no mechanical version but it's a fantastic Quartz watch.

If black and Quartz are not your thing though, try the PRS22 Speedbird. It's stainless steel and automatic but it will cost you a couple of hundred quid extra.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I don't think there is a mech version of this.

I am not trying to pick a fight but I am curious: Why do you find quartz to be a drawback for this one? It has a ISA9500-1010 movement which ticks four times a second so it looks much more like a mechanical watch than most quartzes.

Nothing to do with this particular model. Its just that I prefer mechanical over quartz.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No, there is no mechanical version but it's a fantastic Quartz watch.

If black and Quartz are not your thing though, try the PRS22 Speedbird. It's stainless steel and automatic but it will cost you a couple of hundred quid extra.
    The Speedbird looks really nice. This will go on my watch consideration list. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Nothing to do with this particular model. Its just that I prefer mechanical over quartz.
    Fair enough.

On a black Hirsch Duke with PVD buckle

A sure-fire holiday watch, at home in the sea and the pool.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    A sure-fire holiday watch, at home in the sea and the pool.

Nice pool shot, I was wondering how the pvd coating was bearing up on these watches?

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Nice pool shot, I was wondering how the pvd coating was bearing up on these watches?
    So far so good. Seems pretty tough and durable to me.

Master
    Thanks.

Ive been wearing mine daily for work and so far no noticeable wear

My favourite strap for it at the moment, one of Eddies PVD black NATO's, is showing some signs of wear though

Which I think looks OK - if the watch itself wears like this over time then I think that it will look good

The Hirsh strap has given up so back to a black NATO which look pretty good.

Last edited by chrisparker; 6th March 2017 at 20:30.

Dug mine out of the watch box last night and stuck it on a PVD NATO - stealthy combo!

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

I put mine on today for the 1st time in a while. The second hand has been alternating between moving 2x per second and once every 2 seconds as opposed to 4x per second. Think a battery change is required or have I got a bigger problem?

Craftsman
    Just changed the battery and cleaned a spot of dust from inside the dial on mine.
    The stem release button is very clear and the two retaining clips for the dial and surround to the case quite easy to reinstall.
    Getting the stem lined up did require a little thought.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by wallyuk; 17th March 2018 at 17:54.

One thing that I thought about yesterday with the clocks changing, was how much fun it use to be changing the time on the Seafire!

Craftsman
    My Seafire took a bit of damage to the PVD so decided to strip it and add a green perlon, really pleased with the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    My Seafire took a bit of damage to the PVD so decided to strip it and add a green perlon, really pleased with the outcome.

That looks excellent, to be honest I prefer it without the black PVD.

Agreed, better stripped. Nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

How durable is the PVD coating?

I’m sorely tempted by a Seafire, but wondered how durable the PVD coating was. How well does the Seafire’s PVD hold up?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I’m sorely tempted by a Seafire, but wondered how durable the PVD coating was. How well does the Seafire’s PVD hold up?
    The PVD coating held up really well on mine until I whacked it with a rough brick while building a pond. As the resulting scratch was along the top of one of the lugs I decided to strip it. I wouldn't worry about the durability unless you plan on seriously abusing it.

Master
    Thanks wotsthecrack. How did you strip the PVD? Is there somewhere reliable that does PVD removal for watches?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Thanks wotsthecrack. How did you strip the PVD? Is there somewhere reliable that does PVD removal for watches?
    Completely by hand using gradually finer wet and dry paper. The final finish is not perfect but I use the Seafire as a "posh" beater now. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Cheers

Master
    Completely by hand? I’m impressed!

Craftsman
    That looks great. Love the finish on that.

Nice job

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    On a black Hirsch Duke with PVD buckle

These pics from a now very old thread helped me take the plunge and buy one. I use my Smiths Everest Expedition as my daily wear watch and my PRS36 occasionally.Last Sunday when the scramble was on for the Everests i managed to get the Seafire.And it arrived on Friday.Well it was certainly worth while getting after hesitating for years now. I have put mine straight on a black Hirsch Grand Duke inspired by Velorum's pictures. This really is a fantastic watch and an amazing bargain for the price. The sweeping seconds hand is a joy and the lume is as bright and strong as on my Omega Seamasters.The dial is more instantly readable than any Breitling i have owned. There is also no denying that there is a bit of an IWC MKvxiii "Hodinkee"about the Seafire so i have also bought an IWC style pilot strap which i will try when it arrives.Happy days.
    Last edited by silver centurian; 26th July 2021 at 15:19.