closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: SMITHS SEAFIRE – PVD Instrument Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    Don't have any other watches with me today, but this might help provide a comparison with whatever you're wearing (if you also have 50p in your pocket). Note the scratch I've managed to put in the PVD at three minutes past the hour! Less than one days wear and I've personalised it...
    Can't see the scratch but give it a rub with your thumb. Often what appears as a scratch on PVD is metal, or other, deposit from whatever it came into contact with.
    Gray

Don't have any other watches with me today, but this might help provide a comparison with whatever you're wearing (if you also have 50p in your pocket).

Note the scratch I've managed to put in the PVD at three minutes past the hour! Less than one days wear and I've personalised it...
    Ouch. So are they surface coated?

Sorry, redundant question as I´ve just looked it up for myself;Satin finished PVD coating.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th November 2014 at 16:16. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Can't see the scratch but give it a rub with your thumb. Often what appears as a scratch on PVD is metal, or other, deposit from whatever it came into contact with.
    No unfortunately it's definitely a scratch. And a gently ridged scrape along the edge. Can't get my macro setting on the phone camera to pick it up, but it's definitely scratched. Hey ho, my clumsiness completely. Think it took a bit of a clattering being thrust down between two child seats trying to find the seat belt clasp on the school run last night...

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Plus he's set the minute hand properly, others take note
    Haven't set mine at all. It was running and close enough to the right time when it came out of the box for me not to get excited about it. I had noticed the minute hand advancing about 12 seconds ahead of time, but can't say it was causing me any real concern!

Craftsman

Talking It's arrived!!!

For everyone who has been asking for size comparison here is a quick shot alongside a 1903.

Love the new PRS37

Thanks Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Picked mine up from the post office on the way to work and absolutely love it!

For anyone thinking its a lot to spend on quartz then don't worry it's worth every penny and more. It feels a top quality product and so well finished. The instrument dial is just gorgeous which is enhanced by the coating under the sapphire crystal. Satin finish on the PVD is lovely too and best of all is the "ticking" so all the quartz haters can just forget there's a battery in there as it's just like having a mechanical - genius!

Here's a load of pics and I unintentionally wore a striped shirt for work which clashes somewhat but the Seafire fitted nicely under the cuff. Will try and take a snap next to a couple of other Timefactors watches later.

Pics on a 7.5inch wrist btw.

Last edited by jneds; 20th November 2014 at 18:45.

Don't have any other watches with me today, but this might help provide a comparison with whatever you're wearing (if you also have 50p in your pocket)...
    Really useful thanks mate, much appreciated!

Craftsman
    That's the reflection of the camera lens on my phone ;-)
    I did try to get it central around the hand stack once I'd realised I couldn't avoid the reflection under the office lighting, but only for symmetry...
    Haha oh well. I thought it was a matt profile of a Seafire head on with the hands as pseudo propellors. Maybe an idea for a special edition? :)

Master
    Some great pictures popping up chaps, can't wait to be wearing mine in 3 weeks when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Nice stealthy shot indeed! My OCD would kick in with the hand alignment though

Thanks, but I'd just set it to the right time and didn't want to do the ten to two thing. The minute hand was just about to move on. 20-second jumps.

Master
    Another pic for no particular reason.

And a size comparison shot against two of Eddie's finest.

Cheers
    Neil

Thats really useful, thanks.

Sadly I think it'll be too big for me.

I'll probably still buy one eventually.
    Last edited by kace; 21st November 2014 at 12:21.

Mines arrived :) thanks Eddie

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    Another pic for no particular reason.

And a size comparison shot against two of Eddie's finest.

Cheers
    Neil
    Great comparison shot.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post

Well thats gonna get everyone salivating!!! Great shot!

Kinda fed up that I bought this Citizen not so long ago. Know what I'd have bought instead if the Seafire had been available then.

Still, the PRS-36 is still looking highly desirable, if only people would stop clogging Eddie's in-tray with orders for the Seafire...

Last edited by paul.in.kendal; 21st November 2014 at 14:42.

Thanks, but I'd just set it to the right time and didn't want to do the ten to two thing. The minute hand was just about to move on. 20-second jumps.
    Must improve my product knowledge I hadn't picked up on the 20secs jump it's still a very nice stealth pic cheers for sharing, Eddie and Chris have created yet another gem.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post

Sadly I think it'll be too big for me.

I'll probably still buy one eventually.
    Ive played that game before - beautiful watch but too big. Always end up flipping it quickly.

Here is a Q&D of #107, on a 6.5" wrist. Obviously its a matter of taste but I'm perfectly happy with the size. If anything it "wears small", being all-black and satin-finished.
    The NATO gives it too much height (the watch is a surprisingly tall chap), so I've swapped it for a TF Rally strap. Many thanks Eddie!

(Apologies for the rug)

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    Here is a Q&D of #107, on a 6.5" wrist. Obviously its a matter of taste but I'm perfectly happy with the size. If anything it "wears small", being all-black and satin-finished.
    The NATO gives it too much height (the watch is a surprisingly tall chap), so I've swapped it for a TF Rally strap. Many thanks Eddie!

[image]
    Now that's a decent post! Lot's of info in few words...thanks.

(Apologies for the rug)

Looks good - I thought that a rally strap would suit it

Craftsman
    Mine arrived today - great customer service as I needed a last minute change of delivery address to ensure I was in the correct place to receive it! Thanks Eddie - great watch, I love it.

Here's a couple of pics - put it on a Di-Modell design waterproof leather strap, nice matt black finish;

(Apologies for the rug)

Mine says hello.

^^^ very good C-B. Peshawar?

^^^ very good C-B. Peshawar?
    I suspect that you're right though the nice man in the carpet shop in Islamabad insisted that it was Turkmeni.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I suspect that you're right though the nice man in the carpet shop in Islamabad insisted that it was Turkmeni.
    Looks great - does it come in a smaller size?

I have a smaller then average lounge

put it on a Di-Modell design waterproof leather strap, nice matt black finish;
    Looks good, best I've seen thus far.

I just can't keep out of this thread.

SMITHS SEAFIRE – PVD Instrument Watch

Mines still got stickers on until new strap is decided and arrives but it's saying hello :)

No worries on a 6.5" wrist
    Last edited by farquare; 21st November 2014 at 22:31.

Master
    Got mine today - I genuinely think the watch is a triumph, congratulations to Chris and Eddie.

It's currently on a black NATO but I'm going to have a think about the strap because whilst I like NATOs on tool watches I think this would suit something posher...

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Plus he's set the minute hand properly, others take note
    ..AND he's carefully chosen a shirt to match, nice touch ;)

Enjoying the photos everyone, keep them coming.

Would so love this watch, but my black/green C600 keeps giving me a dirty look(that and I don't have money).

Master

Unhappy

I'm in the same boat, I really love this watch and constantly come back to this thread.The trouble is I have too many watches so something's going to have to go, hurts me too say this but my Smiths Everest gonna have to go :(

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    I'm in the same boat, I really love this watch and constantly come back to this thread.The trouble is I have too many watches so something's going to have to go, hurts me too say this but my Smiths Everest gonna have to go :(
    Ooh, think hard about that Barry. I was looking forward to this release but having seen the buyer's pics it looks both too big and too high for my wrists (6.75"). I wouldn't swap my Everest (just my opinion;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Ooh, think hard about that Barry. I was looking forward to this release but having seen the buyer's pics it looks both too big and too high for my wrists (6.75"). I wouldn't swap my Everest (just my opinion;)
    I know it's like being in a sweet shop, Damm you Eddie!
    Something will have to go as too many watches now, maybe my Seiko skx007 then.
    Anyways keep the shots coming!
    Last edited by barryw; 22nd November 2014 at 17:16.

Master
    I do love the look of this watch and would have it in a sec if it was auto or handwound ... I'm not really with the rehabiltation of quartz though.

40mm is a good fit too on my 8in wrist, anything smaller than 39mm gets a bit lost.

Mine arrived today and I think it's great. I've taken this pic on my 7 1/4" wrist to hopefully help some who are unsure on sizing.

Great to see this released at last. If only I wasn't trying to reduce the collection...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Great to see this released at last. If only I wasn't trying to reduce the collection...

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Rather frustratingly I had scraped the money together ready to order - however that was when I thought that it would be 38mm

Still, all is not lost as I will add a little more and buy one of the next batch of PRS29a's when they eventually arrive - I foolishly sold on my previous one in order to fund other pieces that have now long gone

Here's mine on a modified old Hirsch Liberty strap. I'll need a PVD coated buckle to make this complete. You can all save your comments about the matching shoes!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glickman View Post
    Here's mine on a modified old Hirsch Liberty strap. I'll need a PVD coated buckle to make this complete. You can all save your comments about the matching shoes!

Nice lume shot.

A quickly taken (and not very good quality) photo of my splendid birthday present from Mrs. O today! Perfect timing regarding the release of this one Eddie, and a perfect size for me. So glad you settled on 40mm!

BTW, if anyone can give me any tips on how to get the minute and second hands synchronised accurately I'd be grateful thanks. For those without a Seafire, what I'm describing is getting the minute hand to change on to the minute mark exactly as the second hand hits the 12 and to move on 20 seconds later (the minute hand moves in 20 second increments).

In case anyone's interested, the strap is a very soft and comfortable (waterproof) Condor from Weston Watch Straps to which I fitted a black PVD buckle.
    Last edited by Ian_O; 23rd November 2014 at 09:42. Reason: Added detail about strap

Craftsman
    Congratulations to Eddie, this seems like another winner. I've followed this thread for a while and its nice to see the evolution from drawing board/renderings to finished product.
    Its a great design. Doesn't fit into my collection at present, but I admire it non the less. Hope everyone enjoys theirs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Nice lume shot.
    Of the shoes

I too have had bother with the sync. The watch hasn't lost or gained any time since I first set it, mind.

Master
    Lume is impressive as with all of Eddie's watches I own.

Cheers
    Neil
    Last edited by jneds; 23rd November 2014 at 21:58.

I too have had bother with the sync. The watch hasn't lost or gained any time since I first set it, mind.
    It was noted above that the minute had advances at 20 second intervals. Mine does this as 12s, 32s and 52s.

As I cannot find anything on the web, I've asked ISASwiss for info on how to align the stepper motors so that the hand advances at 20s, 40s and on the minute. I'll post their reply. Here's hoping...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    It was noted above that the minute had advances at 20 second intervals. Mine does this as 12s, 32s and 52s.

As I cannot find anything on the web, I've asked ISASwiss for info on how to align the stepper motors so that the hand advances at 20s, 40s and on the minute. I'll post their reply. Here's hoping...
    Mine seems to be the same so maybe this is the norm? Hopefulky mot will be interested to see if you get a response.