closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Concours d'Elegance

Concours d'Elegance

Every July for the last few years there has been an outstanding car show on the North Shore here in Massachusetts featuring cars from the steam period through the 70s. The setting is a beautiful campus right on the ocean and the cars are a very select invitation-only group. One of the categories is "American Muscle Car" into which my brother entered his 1968 Hurst Oldsmobile that he has meticulously restored to showroom condition. It is a fairly rare model (only 515 produced) and I can personally attest to how my brother has labored over the details of the restoration:

Here's a sampling of the other cars in attendance:

Sadly my brother did not win any prize but it's a really enjoyable event for anyone remotely interested in automobiles.

Rick

Lovely cars there.
    It bugs me that here concours is entered by all and sundry. Most so modified they bear little resemblance to the original idea. Yet, because they've had thousands spent and are all nice and shiny they win.
    What happened to originality.

That Olds is awesome! I used to have a '68 442 when I lived in the States (not as special as the Hurst, same shape and with a 400 engine) but it wasn't anywhere as nice as that.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    That Olds is awesome! I used to have a '68 442 when I lived in the States (not as special as the Hurst, same shape and with a 400 engine) but it wasn't anywhere as nice as that.
    Because the Hurst is pretty much a hangar queen, my brother is also restoring a '68 Olds 442 convertible so he has something fun to drive around.

Rick

The later 442 had the bigger engine, but the '68 is the best looking by far. The rear end especially is super cool. I wish I had more money at the time to make the car great, but I was running it on a shoestring budget. I'd love to see more photos of your brother's car!

Adi

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I'd love to see more photos of your brother's car!

Adi
    This is from the same venue a couple years ago:

It's awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Master
    Rick, thanks for the photos, but can I suggest you invest in a gray balance card and set your camera's white balance to custom.
    I'm presuming you've not shot those in RAW, so these are straight out of the camera?
    Colour saturation looks a bit heavy, and some are underexposed, which doesn't help either.
    A tripod or at least a monopod would have helped let you take longer exposures without.

All good suggestions PJ S, thanks. I was juggling my kids and a puppy while walking around so couldn't take a lot of time to compose things. Constantly variable levels of overcast conditions also made it difficult to keep the white balance and exposure compensation set correctly. I finally decided to screw it and just get whatever snapshots I could squeeze in. The composition is lacking in a lot of them. I was using my 35/f1.8 and had trouble getting the subjects properly in frame without people constantly walking in front of me. It is for these reasons that I didn't post these in the Digital Photography forum since they're nothing to brag about with respect to technique.

Rick

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Great pics of great cars. And I just love the North Shore. Cape Anne being my personal favourite. Just idyllic. Thanks for posting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Rick, thanks for the photos, but can I suggest you invest in a gray balance card and set your camera's white balance to custom.
    I'm presuming you've not shot those in RAW, so these are straight out of the camera?
    Colour saturation looks a bit heavy, and some are underexposed, which doesn't help either.
    A tripod or at least a monopod would have helped let you take longer exposures without.
    Really? Forgive me, but this is not the DP forum is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Really? Forgive me, but this is not the DP forum is it?
    No worries, Skyman. He was just offering well-intended advice so I'm not offended. As for the location I couldn't agree with you more. This is the grounds of Endicott College in Beverly. We love Cape Anne and spend a lot of time there in the summer.

Rick

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Rick, sorry for jumping in with my size tens! The Family had a great holiday two years ago in Newport, and we have very good friends down in Pepperell MA, who we try to see most years. A great part of the world. Last time on CA, there was so many dragon flies they were filling the skies like a swarm. Beautiful.