closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking watch tools on plane in hand luggage

Journeyman

Taking watch tools on plane in hand luggage

Anybody know if its permissible to take strap changing tools in hand luggage on commercial flights (easyjet specifically)?
    I want to take a few different straps on holiday with me and a few tools (forked springboard remover, precision screwdrivers, one has a rather nasty spike on the end!)
    Don't want to get pulled at security and have to dump them!

Master
    I've never attempted it but very much doubt they'd let you take these types of item with you. I'd call your airline or the airport for info as it may be airport security that disallow it.

I have always carried mine in the hold.
    If an item can be used as a weapon there is no way you are taking it on board.

I'd be surprised if you got them through, but they don't catch everything.

I can't really see why they couldn't go in the hold (unless you're not putting any luggage in the hold).

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Strap changing on holiday? Just take a G-Shock and be done with it.

I took my bergeon tool with three watches to America two years ago. I dont think of it as a weapon so did not give it a second thought.
    Probably had my keys with me too, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenb View Post
    Anybody know if its permissible to take strap changing tools in hand luggage on commercial flights (easyjet specifically)?
    I want to take a few different straps on holiday with me and a few tools (forked springboard remover, precision screwdrivers, one has a rather nasty spike on the end!)
    Mate, if you're going to remove a springboard, try to wait until the lifeguard isn't watching...

On a more serious note, I got a karabiner taken off me at Paris CdeG as they reckoned I could use it as a knuckle duster. Maybe they noted from my passport that I'm from Essex, so maybe it was a fair cop! I think they'll use any excuse to make you check your luggage in and empty your wallet in the process.

Banned
    I checked this briefly on the TSA website before I flew to the US earlier this year.
    I was quite surprised by what is on the 'allowed' item list, which included small screwdrivers/tools.
    I guess the problem isn't 'the rules', it's whether the security people know them.

No idea if the TSA rules apply to non US flights.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by CH47Driver View Post
    Mate, if you're going to remove a springboard, try to wait until the lifeguard isn't watching...
    LOL pesky autocorrect...ps like your incomings btw....

Thanks for all the replies, I'm not taking hold luggage, wife and kids are already out at the villa, so nice easy trip for me....
    Looks like the linky confirmed it, no tools allowed whatsoever.
    Oh well, I'll stick with the Rubber B and be damned.

Journeyman
    Well, it has happened to me.
    I was flying Amsterdam Schipol to Bristol returning to The Netherlands later that day to inspect/purchase a restoration project Seamaster 300 CK2913. I had no luggage and my Bergeon strap tool with fork and pointy ends and rubber ball case opener in my pocket.
    They scanned it, then saw it and wanted to take it from me. There was to be no option to pick it up on the return trip as it was just going to be disposed.
    I pleaded with security, told them my story, enhancing it slightly by saying I was a watchmaker and had to get into the back of this old watch in Bristol and managed to get the security supervisor to walk with me to the gate and help to arrange that it was put in a separate bag and then the hold.
    On the way back I just dismantled the ends and had no problem.
    Bought the watch by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    My thoughts exactly!
    I travel with a radio controlled solar G...the perfect holiday watch, and a great excuse to buy something a little more exotic whilst on my travels.

Quote Originally Posted by TikTokTrev View Post
    My thoughts exactly!
    I travel with a radio controlled solar G...the perfect holiday watch, and a great excuse to buy something a little more exotic whilst on my travels.
    Now that is some fine forward planning

Quote Originally Posted by cristos71 View Post
    I was flying Amsterdam Schipol to Bristol returning to The Netherlands later that day to inspect/purchase a restoration project Seamaster 300 CK2913. I had no luggage and my Bergeon strap tool with fork and pointy ends and rubber ball case opener in my pocket.
    They scanned it, then saw it and wanted to take it from me. There was to be no option to pick it up on the return trip as it was just going to be disposed.
    I pleaded with security, told them my story, enhancing it slightly by saying I was a watchmaker and had to get into the back of this old watch in Bristol and managed to get the security supervisor to walk with me to the gate and help to arrange that it was put in a separate bag and then the hold.
    On the way back I just dismantled the ends and had no problem.
    Wow, what a story!

I remember flying through Puerto Rico back in ~2008 while wearing my Citizen Aquamount (built in depth gauge) and carrying my macbook with wireless booster antenna. I was yelled at by the TSA people for being "so irresponsible". They apparently thought that I was going to detonate the laptop with my fancy watch. The funniest/saddest bit was that while they were afraid to remove the laptop battery themselves - they made me do it in the middle of a very crowded checkout line.

Blog Entries
    I guess you're flying hand luggage only, or else it could go in the hold...

I wouldn't risk it unless you can afford to have it removed, it does depend on the guard on the day, but most would remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by cristos71 View Post
    I was flying Amsterdam Schipol to Bristol <snip>...
    If you're ever faced with that dilemma again Cristos give me a call, I work at BRS and at least I could get hold of the tool for you and send it back to you through the post...

Lovely watch by the way, looks like the trip was worth it, next time we could meet in the lounge and compare!

Rob

Journeyman
    Nice, 14755?
    The trip was definitely worth it, met up with my sister too for a quick lunch, an excellent gurnard by the harbour.
    This is one of my favourites now, but it didn't look look quite like that when I bought it.

Here's pre restoration:

Blog Entries
    Yes, 14755 with Aldo bezel but otherwise original... quite new to me but really enjoying it... Love the lollipop hand on yours - CK 2913?

Rob

Master
    I'm sure you'd be fine with a Bergeon-type springbar tool if you unscrew the tips and put them separately from the handle in another bit if your hand luggage. You'd also I'm sure be fine with one of the shorter, single-ended tools, like the ones that come with some Sinns.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Perhaps he's not going to Butlins?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    I'm sure you'd be fine with a Bergeon-type springbar tool if you unscrew the tips and put them separately from the handle in another bit if your hand luggage. You'd also I'm sure be fine with one of the shorter, single-ended tools, like the ones that come with some Sinns.
    That's what I was thinking. I can't see the person manning the X-Ray machine knowing that the bits belong together and at least the worst thing that would happen is that you would lose the tips, which can be bought from Cousins.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Always amazes me they won't let you take a pair of nail scissors on a plane but a massive glass bottle is just fine as in your duty free booze

I'd much rather have someone come at me with nail scissors than a broken 1 litre vodka bottle

Grand Master
    Why not put the tools in your case? Problem solved.

Can`t see the logic behind taking different straps to change on holiday.........each to his own I guess. I just select one watch that's suitable, wear it, and forget about watches for a week or two.

Paul

Interesting. I've flown with a watch roll in my hand luggage, containing watches, straps, screwdrivers and a Bergeon tool many times. Never had it removed, opened, or even (so far as I can tell) noticed. Mostly in and out of Heathrow, JFK and Schiphol, mind, so maybe they're used to seeing this sort of stuff.

Sod's law being what it is, I shall no doubt have the lot confiscated next time I fly...

Master
    It gets more ridiculous when you fly business / premium economy and some carriers serve a lovely dinner with metal cutlery...

Most security staff are little Hitlers , if they see your tools they will probably take them off you. I would just take more watches with you if you fancy a change of look.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenb View Post
    Ahahahah. I am please to see that some ppl are more crazy about watches than I am!

Quote Originally Posted by tdunn28 View Post
    Most security staff are little Hitlers , if they see your tools they will probably take them off you
    They would probably lose their jobs if they didn't

Unfortunately in today's World, if it can be used as a weapon, it shouldn't be inside the cabin.
    I think we can all fly safer knowing that.

Europa is right. I travel frequently with a double clarinet case. In the case is a tiny screwdriver and also a double ended tool, similar in size to a spring bar remover and it's got a spring hook for putting clarinet springs in and out of place and screwdriver. They never bother, never have. Once though I had a tiny pair of pliers, I mean tiny, this size...

...and they confiscated them. I was only going with hand luggage and they guy asked if I needed them on the flight I said no but I have no case in the hold. I asked how on earth could I do any damage with them and he replied that "they are a tool sir and we don't know what you're going to do with them." I felt like saying, "You're a tool sir. I'm going to take rods out of my clarinets with them, oil them and put them back in". Sad thing was that I'd had them since I was 16....

I'd be impressed if you could take down a 747 with those tiny pliers, it's ridiculous, I refer back to my comment about them allowing you to take glass bottles on planes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    They would probably lose their jobs if they didn't

Unfortunately in today's World, if it can be used as a weapon, it shouldn't be inside the cabin.
    Andrew is right, calling them mini Hitlers is grossly unfair. They don't set the rules the DfT does, if they break the rules they get sacked on the spot - I've seen it happen. Nearly all are working horribly unsociable hours on zero hour contracts at minimum wage when they could be sat on their asses on the dole.

Rob

Master
    A Bit O/T, but I flew to Australia in 2001 and before an internal flight got pounced upon by a particularly tightly wrapped customs agent at x-ray who went through the spiel about " is this your suitcase / did you pack it yourself / would you accompany me, etc,etc ".

So we got to one side and she dives in and makes straight into my washbag, gives me the evil eye and asks triumphantly "and what are these then! ?"

"Contact Lenses"

"Err, what ?"

"C.O.N.T.A.C.T L.E.N.S.E.S Disposable ones - strip of"

"What ?"

"Oh you probably haven't got them here yet - its the latest thing"

So she inspects them closely, then goes back into the washbag, has a desperate rummage and pulls out some paracetamol and says "have you read the rules about importing drugs ?"

"Yes says I, but they are non prescription medicines not drugs. You can interpret then as drugs if you like but I think you would get laughed out of any Court in any country"

"Can I go now ?"

I literally bit my tongue as I walked past her colleagues who were split between trying not to laugh and giving me the evils.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I can only assume that this comment was made tongue in cheek.

Almost anything can be used as a weapon, including most of the item that you are allowed to bring into the cabin - you could cause nasty head wounds to somebody by hitting them over the head with your laptop, you could easily sharpen the edge of a CD or DVD so that you could cut somebody's throat with it; you could use a headphone cord to strangle someone, etc, etc. You get the picture.

Most of what is done in airports these days is "security theatre" - designed to make people feel more secure, while actually doing very little to really reduce risk. The airline industry has a long history of this, although initially used to persuade people that flying itself was safe - hence pointless devices like the whistles and lights attached to lifejackets.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    you could cause nasty head wounds to somebody by hitting them over the head with your laptop, you could easily sharpen the edge of a CD or DVD so that you could cut somebody's throat with it; you could use a headphone cord to strangle someone, etc, etc. You get the picture.
    Blimey Philip, you have thought this through like a real psycopath! ;)

A bit OT but I had to take my explorer II off and leave it in one of the little trays to go through security at the airport today. Not the first time I have had to take off a (nice) watch to go through. It always winds me up when they ask to do this, as the watch ends up out of sight for a few seconds, and it would be so easy for someone to steal it.
    All part of the theatre as you said...

Banned
    I can only assume that this comment was made tongue in cheek.

Almost anything can be used as a weapon, including most of the item that you are allowed to bring into the cabin - you could cause nasty head wounds to somebody by hitting them over the head with your laptop, you could easily sharpen the edge of a CD or DVD so that you could cut somebody's throat with it; you could use a headphone cord to strangle someone, etc, etc. You get the picture.

Most of what is done in airports these days is "security theatre" - designed to make people feel more secure, while actually doing very little to really reduce risk. The airline industry has a long history of this, although initially used to persuade people that flying itself was safe - hence pointless devices like the whistles and lights attached to lifejackets.
    I think Philip is suggesting you travel by bus instead.

Or safer still, don't even leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post

A bit OT but I had to take my explorer II off and leave it in one of the little trays to go through security at the airport today. Not the first time I have had to take off a (nice) watch to go through. It always winds me up when they ask to do this, as the watch ends up out of sight for a few seconds, and it would be so easy for someone to steal it.
    Never ever do this.

I never take my GMT2c off and I have refused a couple of times, asked why, I have shown them the watch and they just say ok and I leave it on.

It might look that way, I guess. :-)

I earn my living in information security, so a lot of time my professional mindset involves looking at technology and processes, and then trying to think about ways that they can be broken. I also spend a lot of time looking at controls to determine whether they are adequate and/or effective - or if they are just "security theatre". I guess that tends to translate over into other areas - like flying (which I used to do a lot of, so had plenty of time to think about).

These days, I reserve being a psychopath purely for my leisure time.

That is a joke right?

Concerning the original post though have you not considered simply putting your watch tools in your suitcase and changing your watch straps any time you wish at the hotel? I mean is it really necessary to adjust the strap or change from bracelet to leather/rubber strap during a flight?

What if you don't have checked luggage to put the little tools in?

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Or safer still, don't even leave the house.
    You've got to be joking - "Every year in the UK more than 5,000 people die in accidents in the home and 2.7 million turn up at accident and emergency departments seeking treatment." (Source: http://www.rospa.com/homesafety/).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    What if you don't have checked luggage to put the little tools in?
    Don't take them?

I work for United, here are some basics'

Banned items

The following may not be carried in hand baggage.
    Sharp items
    This includes knives (with blades over 6cm), razor blades, box cutters, scissors (with blades over 6cm from fulcrim), axes, hatchets, cleavers, ice axes, ice picks, swords, sabres and sharp or pointed martial arts equipment.
    Projectile-firing weapons
    These include firearms, toy guns, replica/imitation guns, firearm parts (except telescopic sights), airguns, pellet guns, BB guns, flare guns, starting pistols, bows or crossbows, arrows, harpoon guns, spear guns, slingshots and catapults.
    Stunning devices and incapacitating devices
    Including stun guns, Tasers, animal killers, incapacitating chemicals, gases or sprays (eg Mace), pepper sprays, tear gas and animal repellent sprays.
    Tools
    This includes crowbars, drills and drill bits, saws, blowtorches, bolt guns, nail guns, or any tool with a blade or shaft over 6cm (eg screwdrivers or chisels).
    Blunt instruments
    This includes baseball/softball bats, clubs, batons, night sticks and martial arts equipment.
    Explosive or incendiary substances
    This includes ammunition, blasting caps, detonators and fuses, replica/imitation explosive devices, mines, grenades, pyrotechnics, smoke canisters, smoke cartridges, dynamite, gunpowder or plastic explosives.
    Dangerous goods
    These include flammable or harmful substances such as gases, oxidisers, poisons, corrosives and hazardous biological or chemical material. Non-safety matches, lighter fluid and firelighters are also included. The Civil Aviation Authority guide What Can I Carry?* contains full details.
    Please note that this list only refers to the carriage of items on board the aircraft. With regards to liquids, you will still be restricted to 100ml when passing through security.
    A single cigarette lighter may be carried on your person.
    The Airport may additionally prevent any item considered to pose a security or safety risk from passing through to the departure lounge.
    If you are in any doubt about a particular item of hand baggage, we recommend you to pack it in your hold baggage instead. Please see visit the HM Revenue & Customs website for what can and can't be carried.

surprisingly no mention of snakes on a plane? ;)

@OP, don't risk it, the bottom line is whatever the security person deems unacceptable wont be permitted, arguing with them will make a big problem for yourself and if they take the tools off you, you wont see them again

take only watches with drilled lugs and use toothpicks!

Master
    hence pointless devices like the whistles and lights attached to lifejackets.
    Not so pointless when you have somehow narrowly avoided death once already today and you are now thinking " I hope they have see me and drop a proper dinghy before the sharks get here ".

I appreciate that a SARBE would be far more useful, but a whistle and light is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    That is a joke right?
    Not a joke I'm afraid, it has happened to me today in a french airport, but it has also happened to me at heathrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    Not so pointless when you have somehow narrowly avoided death once already today and you are now thinking " I hope they have see me and drop a proper dinghy before the sharks get here "..
    The water temperature will kill you before the Sharks, that and maybe hitting the water at 500mph

I earn my living in information security, so a lot of time my professional mindset involves looking at technology and processes, and then trying to think about ways that they can be broken.
    These days, I reserve being a psychopath purely for my leisure time.
    That must be why you post in blue, it's all crystal now.

Not a joke I'm afraid, it has happened to me today in a french airport, but it has also happened to me at heathrow.
    Usually I ask them if they want me to take my watch off and most of the time they just say "No its Ok" I take it off anyway as I would rather have nothing significant of metal on me than risk the metal detector beeping and the obligatory grope by the security staff (Saw some poor women at Amsterdam airport get pretty much sexually assaulted by female security who had a good old feel front and back)

Never really considered my watch could get stolen in the x ray machine though. Not unless they have a third compartment or a trap door.

This is the reason why I never take my watch off.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    This is the reason why I never take my watch off.
    So she left her 6k watch and other unnamed piece of jewellery in the grey box on the conveyer belt and walked off????

Don't meant to be nasty but is she thick or something?

Journeyman
    No point in asking here or checking with the airport. It is all going to be pretty much random anyway, and if they decide it can't go it is just the way it is. Better bring cheap tools you could accept losing.