closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaking as a life-long Spurs supporter...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    As a life long Arsenal fan and season ticket holder I'd say fcuk the money (it's not as if the fans get a percentage), I think keeping him would show you have real ambition and lets face it it's nice to have a hero that inspires the youngsters (and us more mature fans), a player that gets you off your seat when they get on the ball. Trust me having the money and a couple okay players doesn't feel as nice, was it The Stranglers that bemoaned the lack of heroes?

Oh don't Real still owe you money for Modric?

Will you be alright without him? I imagine so, but guess we'll both just have to carry on our battle for fourth rather than challenge for the title...

*checked which forum we were in
    It sucks, doesn't it... inevitable though, sadly. How much difference do you think Suarez would make to your title chances?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It sucks, doesn't it... inevitable though, sadly. How much difference do you think Suarez would make to your title chances?
    I think he's going to bite off more than he can chew if he moves to a proper team. Benteke looks good at Villa because the team is set up around him and for the first half of the season wasn't gelling. From about February on this year the team started working properly and Benteke started scoring. I doubt he'd look so good in a successful team used to attacking and playing most of their football in the opponent's half. I wonder if Suarez would be similar?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I think he's going to bite off more than he can chew if he moves to a proper team. Benteke looks good at Villa because the team is set up around him and for the first half of the season wasn't gelling. From about February on this year the team started working properly and Benteke started scoring. I doubt he'd look so good in a successful team used to attacking and playing most of their football in the opponent's half. I wonder if Suarez would be similar?
    Well, he looks good enough at international level, Simon... chalk and cheese when compared to Benteke, surely?

I can't feel too aggrieved that GB wishes to play for Real Madrid. He's the sort of stellar talent that comes along at Spurs once every other decade or so. I only wish he'd stay another season to help us consolidate recent progress.

What I'm furious about is the fact that Madrid systematically and unashamedly used the media to destabilize Bale and make a previously happy player want to leave a club that's played a key part in his development as a player. Zidane's recent sly comments are disgraceful and surely wouldn't be tolerated in the Premiership yet little will be done to stop Madrid's antics.

What is even worse is that the cheeky gits apparently don't have the cash to pay for Bale outright. They're looking to sell or offer players in exchange and have even suggested giving Modric back to us as a makeweight in the deal. That really takes the biscuit!

Well, he looks good enough at international level, Simon... chalk and cheese when compared to Benteke, surely?
    Bale is ok, but he's no Troy Deeney.

Yes, Benteke isn't racist. And doesn't need his own naughty corner!

Agreed.

Aside from his previous indiscretions Suarez is a fantastic player and if he goes to Arse and they can keep him under control he would be brilliant for them.

Unlike some "stars" he always give his all and never sulks on the pitch.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    I can't feel too aggrieved that GB wishes to play for Real Madrid. He's the sort of stellar talent that comes along at Spurs once every other decade or so. I only wish he'd stay another season to help us consolidate recent progress.

What I'm furious about is the fact that Madrid systematically and unashamedly used the media to destabilize Bale and make a previously happy player want to leave a club that's played a key part in his development as a player. Zidane's recent sly comments are disgraceful and surely wouldn't be tolerated in the Premiership yet little will be done to stop Madrid's antics.

What is even worse is that the cheeky gits apparently don't have the cash to pay for Bale outright. They're looking to sell or offer players in exchange and have even suggested giving Modric back to us as a makeweight in the deal. That really takes the biscuit!
    This!! the constant use of Marca as their media outlet has been disgraceful. Sky are also not much better.

If Levy pulls off £100M + Morata we should name the new ground after him - The DL Stadium

Now that you have your fullbacks sorted, can we have Danny Rose back on loan? Or even better, buy him. I'd pay good money for him having watched him last season.

If you see Ancelotti's comment of trying to find the best solution, I don't think Real can afford Bale after splurging 50 mil already. Their best bet is to unsettle the player and get him cheap.

Real should know Levy is a real hard business man and I hope he really takes Real to the cleaners if he has to sell Bale.

Well, at least there's a done deal this morning. So..

Soldado, Chadli and Paulinho in - three excellent signings
    Sandro and Kaboul back - as good as two excellent signings

I think we still need a very solid centre back with Caulker and Gallas having gone; and another reliable striker - maybe someone in the Sturridge mould - to take the pressure off Soldado when necessary, and cover injuries. Adebayor can bugger off and it looks like Defoe may be on his way soon, so perhaps one really good striker and one young 'un.

Master
    That's a lot of money spent, unless Levy is already resigned to selling Bale.

Adebayor can bugger off and it looks like Defoe may be on his way soon, so perhaps one really good striker and one young 'un.
    Spurs should renew their interest in Matej Vydra. He is young, lightening quick, a lethal finisher and would be a relative bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    That's a lot of money spent, unless Levy is already resigned to selling Bale.
    The way I see it there are two options really, try to keep up with (or be one of) the top four or fall back towards the other teams from sixth back. That CL place isn't far away.

The way I see it there are two options really, try to keep up with (or be one of) the top four or fall back towards the other teams from sixth back. That CL place isn't far away.
    That's far too simplistic, Simon. There's a difference between being a selling club (which I fear we have been in the past, at least when it comes to the likes of Man Utd) and selling probably the hottest prospect in world football to a club like Real (or Barca). Spurs won't be the last club to accept the inevitable - in indeed that's what happens - in such circumstances.

As for falling into the pack below sixth, come on - I know your knowledge of football is greater than that. Read my post above relating to the signings we've bought in, and the two players returning from injury after missing the whole of last season. Even without Bale (who would be an incredible loss) or the money that would become available from his sale, our squad going into this season will be far, far stronger than last; in my opinion, it was in squad depth that we fell short, in fact. Our first eleven will be stronger too, even if Bale does go.

That's far too simplistic, Simon. There's a difference between being a selling club (which I fear we have been in the past, at least when it comes to the likes of Man Utd) and selling probably the hottest prospect in world football to a club like Real (or Barca). Spurs won't be the last club to accept the inevitable - in indeed that's what happens - in such circumstances.

As for falling into the pack below sixth, come on - I know your knowledge of football is greater than that. Read my post above relating to the signings we've bought in, and the two players returning from injury after missing the whole of last season. Even without Bale (who would be an incredible loss) or the money that would become available from his sale, our squad going into this season will be far, far stronger than last; in my opinion, it was in squad depth that we fell short, in fact. Our first eleven will be stronger too, even if Bale does go.
    I wasn't talking about Bale, I was talking about the amount of money spent. Regardless of whether Bale is sold or not, Levy has to invest to progress, and that's what he's done.

I wasn't talking about Bale, I was talking about the amount of money spent. Regardless of whether Bale is sold or not, Levy has to invest to progress, and that's what he's done.
    Ah, fairy nuff then.

Apparently Brenda Rodgers is unhappy that Suarez wants to join one of Liverpool's main rivals.... Where the hell do Fulham, West brom and Norwich get all their money from???

Journeyman
    Even for £80m+ he should be sold.

SPurs will never reach the heights of Man U, Man city and Chelsea, they'll be challenging for years to come.

spurs may have a good run every so often but never amounts to anything in the long run.

This is coming from a Spurs Fan.

sell, rebuild and entertain.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Does make a mockery though of the new fair play rules ..

Quote Originally Posted by Soggeynuggets View Post
    Does make a mockery though of the new fair play rules ..
    Just get your ground sponsored for £200m or sell the naming rights to your training ground for £150m. Works for some clubs.

Fair play? It's a farce like all things FIFA get involved in.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunce View Post
    Just get your ground sponsored for £200m or sell the naming rights to your training ground for £150m. Works for some clubs.

Totally agree about FIFA, all as bent as they come !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunce View Post

Or go for the Man City option and get the owners company to sponsor the shirt, and take naming rights on the stadium :D

No shock that they want to increase what they want to pay for these rights - genius.

As for Bale, have Spurs already invested the money they are going to get for selling him?
    If they sold him first, all the clubs that they were buying from would be asking for inflated prices.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    well soldado is well over priced..IMO

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    But I guess its the world of football we are living in now...its all about the money..

I think Stoke City said that they now get so much money from Sky (think an extra £60m per year?) that they are going to pay for all their away fans travel.

These figures were released last season. £42m for finishing 4th bottom plus £750k for each league place above. This season the money has doubled and still the season ticket and gate prices go up. The money is going out of the game to players and agents and nothing is trickling down to grass roots. No wonder the national team is so crap when nothing is developing. Sir Trevor Brooking has only been in charge of youth development at the FA since 2003 so I suppose there's plenty of time for something to come of it (apart from jobs for the boys). The FA and the FL are as useful as FIFA.

Master
    Football's fcuked – has been for the past decade, pretty much, if not longer.
    Gave up even watching Liverpool on MotD 2 years ago, and had stopped really being interested in who, what, when about 5 years prior to that.
    National team's always been a bit of a joke, and couldn't put a penalty kick in the back of the net if they were halfway inside the 6 yard box, and the 'keeper blindfolded.

I also gave up watching the national teams years ago.
    It's like watching a poor pre-season friendly

It appears to me that the majority of players aren't interested, as there is much more money to be made elsewhere.
    As others have said, it appears to be predominantly about money.
    A World Cup in Qatar anyone??!!!

Master
    How is it the Real still owe us for Modric, and if they haven't paid for him how are they gonna pay for Bale

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Well the Qatar decision was clearly a back hander to FIFA, they cant even play football and I feel for the players going out there in that heat..

Master
    Gooner here. I hope Bale leaves the PL :)

The world is going mad

90m for a player with next to no experience in the CL, doesn’t play in a decent national side and never won a league.

he looks good on his day and vastly improves the Spurs team, but there are better players in the league that have moved recently for nowhere near that money.

Spurs should bite their hands off

Ok, Bale had a stonking couple of seasons at Spurs. So once again Fiorentino Perez swoops in to get the in form lad for crazy money. Levy will cash in. It's not of the offer is there, it's when it comes, and sadly I don't think it'll leave Spurs with a lot of time to sign players.

I think it'll stop Spurs having to rely on Bale as much as they did and continue to build a great starting XI as they've begun with Paulinho and Soldado.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    Ok, Bale had a stonking couple of seasons at Spurs. So once again Fiorentino Perez swoops in to get the in form lad for crazy money. Levy will cash in. It's not of the offer is there, it's when it comes, and sadly I don't think it'll leave Spurs with a lot of time to sign players.

I think it'll stop Spurs having to rely on Bale as much as they did and continue to build a great starting XI as they've begun with Paulinho and Soldado.
    Agree with most things you've said. Apart from the real madrid presidents name ;).

Spurs wont spend the lot on transfer because you will need to consider wages. A £30m player on 200k a week will cost upwards of £70m throughout his contract. Spurs cant afford to keep Bale. They wont risk £85m plus £10m a year on Bale. They are just trying to get as much for him as possible. Hes already gone only question left is for how much.

the price is crazy. Bale for the same as Rodriguez and Falcoa is crazy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    How is it the Real still owe us for Modric, and if they haven't paid for him how are they gonna pay for Bale
    Most european clubs outside the UK pay every transfer in instalments. The balance owing for Modric is actually due in September this year so they're within the bounds of the original agreement. I hear it's the amount of instalments that Real Madrid wish to pay for Bale in that is causing the delay at the moment. Evidently, Spurs want two payments whereas RM wish to pay in four instalments, the first being £20m. I can understand why Spurs wouldn't be happy with that as they're not likely to get anywhere near replacing Bale with £20m.

he's all but gone now isn't he ? shame it didn't happen earlier in the transfer window imo, bit galling that spurs will be looking around with c.£100m in their pockets after falcao, cavani etc have all moved. i think the best bet is to go for a few young players who might get near the level of bale. you can argue there's few players who can replace him at tottenham right now so they should go for players like eriksen etc

no bias from me, i used to be a cardiff city fan

Quote Originally Posted by cdmed View Post
    he's all but gone now isn't he ? shame it didn't happen earlier in the transfer window imo, bit galling that spurs will be looking around with c.£100m in their pockets after falcao, cavani etc have all moved. i think the best bet is to go for a few young players who might get near the level of bale. you can argue there's few players who can replace him at tottenham right now so they should go for players like eriksen etc

no bias from me, i used to be a cardiff city fan
    It is looking late, if indeed it happens. I don't think we should forget about Holtby, though, who showed real signs of class in his first season and who can play in a very advanced position (potentially in the hole behind Soldado).

not to mention sigurdsson. there's no doubt bale's a top player but i don't think he's irreplaceable given the cash involved. i actually think soldado is a top forward, certainly better than negredo who man city paid slightly more for (i think)

maybe a cheeky bid for rooney could be on the cards ?!

Slightly off topic but has anyone seen the NBC commercial for the football season ahead?
    I've tried to embed it but I'm getting a validation error.
    It's got Bale in it and Tot Nums new American coach and is absolutely hilarious.
    Check it out on YouTube
    http://youtu.be/oDeRkX0vKtQ
    Last edited by thegoat; 5th August 2013 at 19:52. Reason: Link added

Master
    Someone who claims to be 'in the know' tells me that a gaggle of agents are trying to work a deal involving Bale to Real, Ronaldo back to United and Rooney to Spurs. Sounds like a mega payday for the agents so I can believe that they are pressing it hard.... somehow I can't see the Rooney to Spurs link, though, unless United would rather he went there than Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmed View Post
    not to mention sigurdsson. there's no doubt bale's a top player but i don't think he's irreplaceable given the cash involved. i actually think soldado is a top forward, certainly better than negredo who man city paid slightly more for (i think)

maybe a cheeky bid for rooney could be on the cards ?!
    Nope
    City (only) paid £16.4 million for Negredo, with a further £4.2 million in add ons and bonuses.
    In La Liga last season, only Falcao (£55m), Ronaldo (£80m ish) and Messi(100s and 100s of £m) had a better return .
    Good luck with Soldado though, he looks a player too.

Even in today's market, good as he is, Bale is not an 80m+ player. Ludicrous price and wages for one player. If Spurs had any sense, they'd take the money and run. He's only going to stay one more season max in any case.

If Suarez is being touted at 40-50 million, is Bale that much better than him? Nah, don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    As a life long Arsenal fan and season ticket holder I'd say fcuk the money (it's not as if the fans get a percentage), I think keeping him would show you have real ambition and lets face it it's nice to have a hero that inspires the youngsters (and us more mature fans), a player that gets you off your seat when they get on the ball. Trust me having the money and a couple okay players doesn't feel as nice, was it The Stranglers that bemoaned the lack of heroes?

Oh don't Real still owe you money for Modric?

Will you be alright without him? I imagine so, but guess we'll both just have to carry on our battle for fourth rather than challenge for the title...

*checked which forum we were in
    We're not getting Suarez its just bluster to show that they "tried", he'd only make the difference if bit RvP, the entire Chavs defence, Citehs manager and Bale just to make him a legend, the depth of our squad is the lowest I've seen in years, one signing so far looks okay despite nearly retiring through injury (sounds familiar) was on a free. Drogba showed us at the weekend how we weak we are in midfield and defence <_<