closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Octavia vRS owners here?

Master

Any Octavia vRS owners here?

Thinking about getting a sporty diesel with decent size boot. As the 3 series coupe is too overpriced and 320d soloon too common I'm thinking about vRS.

Really like the MK2 CR. What is it like to live with? Anything to watch out for? The last production (2009) LE has nice interior but dull colour (grey) and alloys.
    I love the blue one (but they only came with half leather...but I can live with that)

Cheers,
    Mike

Master
    I've got a 2011 petrol hatch owned from new and now at 40k. It's a fantastic motor, solid as a rock and much cheaper than the equivalent Golf GTI. The boot is massive, average mpg from new is around 37.5 as I do a lot of motorway miles and I've only had a couple of warranty claims.

It's just had a new clutch/flywheel/slave cyclinder due to a cylinder fault that caused the clutch to wear out, and a new wheel bearing has just been fitted as it was rumbling.

As far as I'm aware there's nothing specific to look out for, just the usual bodywork damage and service history. Parts are easily obtained as they're shared across the VAG group and there are loads of Audi/VW/Skoda/SEAT independents about who can work on them if you want to avoid main dealers.

I'd recommend one to anyone. If you're after a diesel, and have the cash, the limited edition 'Black' from a year or so ago had nice grey wheels, full leather and some extra toys.

I can't comment on the vRS but can comment on running an Octavia Estate and an Octavia Hatchback. I've had a 2009 2.0TDi 140PS Octavia Elegance estate since December 2009 as my company car. It's been excellent, there's plenty of room inside and the boot space is excellent. I really like the variable floor which means I can store stuff under the floor so the boot looks empty. We were so happy with my Octavia that when my wife's car needed replacing we bought a 2011 1.4TSi Octavia SE Plus hatchback. She's been very happy with it too. The boot is just as big as the estate, except on the odd occasion when you want to pack the car to the roofline. It has excellent levels of equipment too.

I've driven the new Octavia Mk3 a couple of weeks ago, in Elegance estate form. It has more space than the outgoing Mk2 and looks more up to date inside. The dash has been given a makeover with colour displays, similar to those used in other VAG cars. It was very nice to drive. It is more expensive than the outgoing model.

I would definitely recommend Claybank Motors in Eccles. They have been the best car dealership I've ever dealt with.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I had a VRs diesel estate for a few years....i could not fault it. Loads of room,good performance,good to drive. If you are thinking of one then just go ahead and get one,you will not regret it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    sporty diesel
    A contradiction in terms. You can have a fast diesel but sporty, nah! :)

Journeyman
    If you're looking second-hand then I'd also consider an Alfa GT. Creaks and groans like an old-age pensioner on a fairground ride but the drive is stunning. Boot space is excellent. Full leather and looks beautiful - albeit with a big fat looking backside!

Craftsman
    I bought a 2.0 vRS DSG estate Octavia earlier this year, a second hand 10 plate. I couldn't be happier with it.

Handles like a dream whether on the Northumberland country lanes, around town, or cruising down the A1. Once warmed up consumption is very favourable, last trip down the A1 averaged 40mpg despite making the trip in a very reasonable time.

Has everything I would expect from a modern car in terms of features and for the money far better value than the Golf which (for a more expensive car) was very underwhelming in comparison. I wouldn't hesitate one to anyone and next time I buy a car, Skoda will be top of me test drive list.

A fantastic drive with very favourable acceleration when called upon.

--edit--

And yes, the boot is superb. We have 2 small children and whether coming down to London for a week or going away to the lakes we have no problem fitting everything in including luggage, pushchair and high chairs.

Craftsman

vrs octavia

I had a vrs diesel for 4 years from new and it had 136000 on the clock when it was replaced by the superb.
    Only issue I had was an injector and engine wiring loom fault at 125k. Apparently this is fairly common on high
    Mileage diesel vag engines. So ive benn told .
    But all ina brilliant car low 40s mpg average driving rising to 47 on a run on the motorway . Bags of space.

Journeyman
    I have a 59 plate diesel Octavia vRS estate. I can honestly say its a cracking car. I'm an Alfa Romeo fan and badly wanted the 2.4 JTD 159 estate but SWMBO wanted cheaper, lower insurance, lower tax, better fuel economy, more boot space so she said "how about a Skoda?" After much incredulous scoffing on my part I said "if you make me have a Skoda, it had better be a fast one!" She said "OK!" We had a test drive and the rest is history. I'd have another in a heartbeat (still half a beat for the Alfa :D).

Its fast and poised enough for fun, fits in loads of kids and kit for camping trips, looks good and is seriously well put together. Being a family car it takes some abuse. Sticky kids, tip runs and no weekend polishing. We've had no serious issues and the dealer network is brilliant.

:thumbup: from me.

Paul.

Craftsman
    I have an 09 VRS CR diesel. They are a very good car, bags of room in the back and has reasoable performance. Not built to the same standard as BMW or VW- not far off though.

The only issue I have had with mine was the A/C pump failed. Apparantly quite common across the VAG range. Cam belt change isnt cheap, done on mileage or every 4 years. It has started to develop a few creaks in the doors/ door pillars which is annoying. Lots of info at britskoda.

I have a 59 plate VRS DSG diesel, it currently has 111000 miles on the clock and is going strong. No faults yet and runs at around 45 to 52MPG depending on my driving style. I do around 1000 miles a week and its suits me down to the ground, Not mad keen on the seats they look pretty naff but are comfortable. Looked at the new VRS at the Festival of Speed and will definitely think about it when the car is a bit older. BTW the DSG box is sublime and i never bother with the flappy paddles, stick it in drive and i am off!

I've had (and recently sold) a 58 plate Mk 2 CR diesel Octavia.

Bought it as my wife has had a Mk1 Fabia VRS for a number of years and that is a really great car. However, we needed a bit more space after having a baby and the octavia copes very well with lugging around a large amount of stuff, much larger boot than a Golf or 3 series. Economy is good with 46mpg from mixed town / motorway, it carries a lot of momentum and is a nice cruiser on the motorways. Performance is alright, although I was disappointed as our Fabia was clearly more torquey. I specifically went for the CR engine as it is a lot smoother than the PDi, does not mind running to the red-line, and has more potential for remapping for power or economy. Try to get xenons as well, the standard lights are crap.

The down-sides for me were totally lifeless steering and an irritating particulate filter that required clearing after a couple of weeks without a longer run. However, this could be said for most modern diesels. Perhaps I was being picky, but it just did not excite me at all to drive it - the Fabia is much more involving.

I sold it an bought an Evora.

Craftsman
    I had a new Octavia vRS Petrol (60 plate) for just over 2.5 years and did 35k during my time of ownership. In all that time there was only a minor niggle that was fixed under warranty. I only got rid of mine to save on motoring costs and have now been driving a Prius for about 2 months. There isn't a day that goes by that I dont regret having changed from the Octavia. It really is a superb car. Go for it :)

Craftsman
    I've got a 2010 VRS Diesel and have had it since new, well 103 delivery miles on the clock.

It was a very last minute choice to get the VRS as the injectors in my then Merc E220 Estate had just gone so I needed a car ASAP and a broker suggested one as it ticked all my boxes.

Sporty
    Economical
    Practical for a family of 4 with young children
    Big boot for my golf equipment

I've done 28k in it without a single issue, It goes back in October and I'll be very sad to see it go.

I do a lot of short journeys to and from the office 4 miles each way (normally with a heavy right foot) and the average is around 44mpg. At the weekend I drive to St Andrews to play golf and on a run at 80'ish I can average 50mph. I've had over 600 miles from a full tank a few times when attending golf trips down South.

I'm at a loss with what to replace it with once it goes.

The VRS diesels are ace. Keep trying to get Mrs B one but she wont have it

Its a VAG group car so very good quality. Essentially mainly Golf running gear. Servicing is a breeze (Take it to Awesome GTI in Cadished near Irlam)

If you have any fault codes come up I have VAG.com so can check for you (for a beer) & can even customise some functions (alarm chirp, windows auto up on lock etc etc)

Master
    I think I'm sold on it. (the Alfa suggestion...no thanks, we all know Alfas and their shocking reliability score)
    Now do I save up a bit more and get a MK3 with all the toys and nice leather or MK2 with nicer shape (to me) but higher mileage and poor spec...

The better one

If you can get a MKII limited edition - I think this represents the best value and may be worth a few more quid than a MkIII in the future. The leather is really nice too.

BMW 335d - plenty sporty.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    BMW 335d - plenty sporty.
    well...I'd get an M3 any day if money is no object...however insurance and running cost of big engined BMW is just too much. Too much to buy in the first place, and the rust issue hasn't beenn solved. What a shame to see a lovely 7 years E46 M Sports with rust comings through boot lids, wheel arches, door corners. If crappy Micra can last 10 years rust-free, surely BMW could galvanize their bodywork ( but I guess it's part of the marketing strategy forcing you to change for a new one every 5 years)

Master
    Test driven a 58 plate vRS petrol this Saturday and first impression was...this doesn't feel quick?! Nice car to drive, just couldn't feel that shove like in my mates 330Ci. My old 2L BMW without turbo didn't feel much different to the vRS.
    To be FAIR it was only on 30mile speed limit road so couldn't open it up + in traffic.
    Need to check what diesel feels like. Even thinking about MK1 as they seem to be bullet proof for bargain prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    A contradiction in terms. You can have a fast diesel but sporty, nah! :)
    Audi (VAG) have won Le Mans a few times with diesel cars. It's starting to happen...
    "A man of little significance"