closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 25 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Strava tells me I've done 4323 but I don't log miles on my commute (15 miles a day a few times a week) or on mountain bike rides with the kids. Reckon I must have done 5,000 miles this year. Not too bad for a full time working desk jockey with a busy family life with nippers.

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Strava tells me I've done 4323 but I don't log miles on my commute (15 miles a day a few times a week) or on mountain bike rides with the kids. Reckon I must have done 5,000 miles this year. Not too bad for a full time working desk jockey with a busy family life with nippers.

that's good going. I only hit around 3800 and that is mainly (practically all commuting) - I really should get out more.

Master

Cannondale Slate

Anyone tried one, they look really funky and will do what I want which is fast canal and forest tracks. Sales bringing 105 down to £1800 but still steep. Maybe I should buy a nice cross bike.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Bike lights

Anyone looking for some good bike lights not gonna break the bank these are great,i have 2 and the claim 6-7 hrs burn time when i discharged the first time i got 10 hrs out of them and give of some great light for single track riding,i have one on bars and one on helmet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolva-Futu.../dp/B015FFO5DM

Thanks to this thread I'm back on my Triban 500SE.

Like the bike a lot. I'm a newbie though so my expectations aren't huge.

Only slight issue is my derriere gets a bit numb in the saddle. I'm not wearing padded shorts yet (will be getting some this month). Hopefully that will help.

On SC at the moment there's a Brooks saddle (although it may have sold by now). Is this something I could fit to the Triban or would I need to try it out (as it were)?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post

Only slight issue is my derriere gets a bit numb in the saddle. I'm not wearing padded shorts yet (will be getting some this month). Hopefully that will help.

On SC at the moment there's a Brooks saddle (although it may have sold by now). Is this something I could fit to the Triban or would I need to try it out (as it were)?
    I wouldn't put that saddle on a road bike. Great as it is, it's more of a commuter/fixie/hipster style saddle than a road bike one.

I would definitely get padded shorts, and your arse will get used to the saddle in a couple of weeks, so don't worry!

Yep, if you can get a saddle thats comfy you are well sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post

I'm not sure I agree with henpecked. If I remember correctly the saddle is a Brooks Swallow (maybe a different model; doesn't matter anyway). It was a bargain and would be a great addition to any road bike.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I would try padded shorts first. Its a long and slippery slope getting the right saddle.

Cheaper alternatives to try would be the charge spoon, which a lot of people seem to like.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    I would try padded shorts first. Its a long and slippery slope getting the right saddle.

Cheaper alternatives to try would be the charge spoon, which a lot of people seem to like.
    I've got one of these on my MTB. One of the most comfortable ones I've had. Impressive.

Craftsman
    Padded shorts are a lot cheaper than a new saddle and the difference is immediately obvious.

Master

What he said , people think bike shorts are just padding, they also stop friction, which again contributes to a tender derriere. If you like the Triban range you can get padded shorts from Decathlon. Pay at least £15 ( avoid the £7.99 specials) and wash em after every ride. Best option is a few pairs worn in rotation will last quite some time.

If you are serious about a saddle go to one of the larger bike shops, they have a sort of gel cusion you sit on which measures the distance between you sit bones. This then guides you on the width and shape of saddle to buy.

As ever, thanks. I've just had a look on Wriggle and there seems to be lots of choice re: charge spoon.

*edit* higham thanks I am near an Evans and a Cycle Surgery so will get measured.

Just finished building this up... a bit of custom Italian Steel.
    Needs a little more work to fine tune the position and sort out my lousy bar tape wrap but should be a nice summer ride! Will take some better photos when I get a chance.

Master
    Now that looks like it will be quick in a straight line. Classic looks as well.Enjoy

Master

New Bike Croix De fer Ti

Bought this last weekend 105, Titanium. Photo is not of my bike its a stock pic. my bike is in the garage and whilst I have fitted crud catchers to it I havnt had a chance to photograph it yet. The USH tyres are so quick on local canal / fire roads I'm getting PR's all over the place on Strava. However on the road its a different matter, they roll slower so its a relaxing winter steed. Im sure with some Mitchelin's or GP slicks it will fly though. Lastly hydraulic discs with BIG levers on a road bike takes some getting used to , grab a big handfull and you will soon experience the thrill of flying!

Craftsman

These are my far too under used bikes. Used to race cross country and downhill in a few different race series as a kid. Still have some really nice old frames including a team LTS dh as used by the legend Steve Pete and I also have a super rare Harp dhr. Never sold in the UK, it has an intense m1 front end and a specialized rear. Stunning bike that lapped up some serious tracks in Scotland and wales.

Really need to get back on the Cotic soon. Sadly I've sold my van now so I'll have to find some roof bars for the Passat.

Just picked this 'M6L' up on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Just picked this 'M6L' up on Friday.

They are fun to ride. If you decide to wheel it around it maybe worth getting the larger trolley wheels. Something like

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/bro...FeG97Qod8ugFlg

Also is that new, new or new, secondhand? I ask because if its the former and you paid full price, it maybe worth getting the model with the integrated shifters and brake lever which is new for 2017. I did notice that Evans were selling both models (new and old) at the same price.

I believe the newer ones are much nicer to use. I only played with them in the shop.

Bought this last week to go with my e-mtb and Focus road bike. Not used it yet.

I must be honest, the small frame makes it look a bit weird...... Looked a lot nicer on display (it was a Large)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Bought this last week to go with my e-mtb and Focus road bike. Not used it yet.

I must be honest, the small frame makes it look a bit weird...... Looked a lot nicer on display (it was a Large)

Small frames ( Im trusting it fits you) are excellent on mountain bikes. They are stiffer and more agile than a larger frame. Its often a good sign if you have 4 to 5 " of seat post showing.

Also when you get to a steep technical descent you can get your weight right over the back wheel by moving your arse backwards. On a frame that is too large you cant do this and your weight stays too far forward and occasionally rewards you with a face plant. Not nice and usually performed in front of puzzled onlookers

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Small frames ( Im trusting it fits you) are excellent on mountain bikes. They are stiffer and more agile than a larger frame. Its often a good sign if you have 4 to 5 " of seat post showing.

Also when you get to a steep technical descent you can get your weight right over the back wheel by moving your arse backwards. On a frame that is too large you cant do this and your weight stays too far forward and occasionally rewards you with a face plant. Not nice and usually performed in front of puzzled onlookers
    Yes it fits (tested it in the shop). I'm small myself (5' 6") so I was borderline small or medium. I just prefer the looks of the larger frame, makes this one look a bit of a woman's model! Be fine though.

Comments noted though, definitely things I hadn't thought of. My main mtb is huge in comparison. Not a huge frame as such, but just a very big bike

I fitted a reverb dropper seat post for that exact reason. Possibly the best mod I've ever made to a bike. Couldn't be without one now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Yes it fits (tested it in the shop). I'm small myself (5' 6") so I was borderline small or medium. I just prefer the looks of the larger frame, makes this one look a bit of a woman's model! Be fine though.

Comments noted though, definitely things I hadn't thought of. My main mtb is huge in comparison. Not a huge frame as such, but just a very big bike
    Im 5'5" my old mtb was a medium and I allways felt stretched out ( its the green single speeder shown earlier in these posts). My current Giant mtb is a small and handling wise it was a revelation.

My road bike was " bike fitted" in a really good bike shop and is extra small(50 cm).

You will enjoy it , and did I also mention its lighter! Than a larger frame.

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Also is that new, new or new, secondhand? I ask because if its the former and you paid full price, it maybe worth getting the model with the integrated shifters and brake lever which is new for 2017. I did notice that Evans were selling both models (new and old) at the same price.

I believe the newer ones are much nicer to use. I only played with them in the shop.
    It is a new bike (2016 model), but I didn't pay full price and got what I thought was a decent discount.

Full price for the M6L 2016 model was £970 and I got a 10% clearance discount, so I paid £877.

Bromptons' have a price rise and the equivalent price for the M6L 2017 model (no discounts available) is now £1020.

I know the 2017 model has some nice upgrades to the 2016 model, but I opted for the 2016 model and a £143 saving.

Evans must have got there pricing wrong as they should not be pricing the 2016 model the same as the 2017 model.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 6th February 2017 at 19:25.

Glad you are pleased, it's a lovely bike

Don't think I've popped up a picture of the Beemer...

Craftsman
    I've just added this to my fleet. It's specifically for trail/single track.

The arse saver rear mud flap has been removed since the photo and a rear mudhugger put in it's place.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by series5 View Post
    I've just added this to my fleet. It's specifically for trail/single track.

The arse saver rear mud flap has been removed since the photo and a rear mudhugger put in it's place.
    What do you think to it?
    My mate was looking at one of these and a Cannondale Trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    What do you think to it?
    My mate was looking at one of these and a Cannondale Trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Prior to purchase I rented one of these as well as a T-129 at Swinley. The 129, a 29" was too much like my Cube XC bike and didn't justify the cost. The 130 was a different animal completely. Immediately, and I'm no expert, I had far more riding confidence and was able to chuck this rental into far more of the trails than I dared with my Cube.

Fast forward now a couple of weeks, I've purchased the bike in the picture and been out on a few solo rides just to get used to it. Last night I took the bike out for a night time ride with a group of single track enthusiasts - my god, what a difference compared to the Cube! It was like Swinley "squared". I couldn't have wished for better (well, perhaps a T-130 carbon, but ...) the bike was absolutely brilliant. Just as at Swinley, I wanted to and was able to attack stuff that I would never have contemplated with the Cube. I'm the sort of rider who is prepared to have a go at something, up to a point where I know it's beyond my comfort zone and I will back away. I could push so much more with this bike and I felt I wanted to do so.
    The bike feels composed, it feels eager, it wills me along to do more. The gearing is great - while not quite the range of the 30 speed Cube, the 11 to 46 range on the back is pretty decent for an 11 speed and the gears worked flawlessly. I've added a Mudhugger on the rear and a front crud catcher on the front of the frame and this has kept quite a bit of the mud away from me. Even so, mucky as you can imagine, the gears were unaffected and the brakes were absolutely excellent. I haven't quite got the Reverb dropper seat post quite right, a couple of times the saddle twisted slightly. It just needs a slight tighten up on the post (I think). One of the other riders has a bike exactly like mine but he has kept the stock tyres on his. I changed the rear tyre on this bike and on the Cube to a Bontrager XR3. There was plenty of mud last night and the grip was amazing. I found the same with the XR3 on my Cube - having taken off a Maxxis Ardent.

I want to still use my hard tail - after all, I spent a fair sum of money on it. However, as a pure single tracker /trail bike, I can see me gravitating toward the T130 on single track night. The Cube will have to stay as an XC or where speed is most important.

Master
    Blog Entries
    First race on the TT Rig this season. 10 miles in 20m 28s

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    First race on the TT Rig this season. 10 miles in 20m 28s

Well done you. That would take me almost 55 mins even with your rig!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well done you. That would take me almost 55 mins even with your rig!
    you always go faster with a number on your back ;-)

Master
    My new bike has landed. Its an expensive hobby this. It will really be used only for racing in local BC events and some nationwide LRVC races.

Most likely used for some training rides as well to make sure I can keep up with my team mates.....we have three ex Elite category riders who are now dropped to 2nd category but can still ride like Elites, so they readily dish out large quantities of pain on training rides :)

We all got the same bikes, some however upgraded to Etap. I stuck with Dura-Ace, I am glad I did as Etap is giving some problems

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    My new bike has landed. Its an expensive hobby this. It will really be used only for racing in local BC events and some nationwide LRVC races.

Most likely used for some training rides as well to make sure I can keep up with my team mates.....we have three ex Elite category riders who are now dropped to 2nd category but can still ride like Elites, so they readily dish out large quantities of pain on training rides :)

We all got the same bikes, some however upgraded to Etap. I stuck with Dura-Ace, I am glad I did as Etap is giving some problems

Very good choice. Did you all buy the same team bike or did you get issued with it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    So my beloved Team Katusha Canyon Aeroad developed a crack in the chain stay. To their credit Canyon have been brilliant. They arranged a courier to pick the bike up & today emailed me to say that they are replacing the frame under warranty. Unfortunately I can't have one in Team Katusha colours like this:

I've got to choose between Stealth Black:

Or Cherry Pepper Red:

I don't like either of them as much as the Team Katusha colour scheme & I'm 50/50 over what to choose. What's the consensus?

cherry pepper red for me

Journeyman
    It would be the Cherry Pepper Red one for me, but it's not a patch on the Katusha colourway. Nothing at all they can do to rectify it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I'd pick the stealth black :-)

Red.

Craftsman
    Just built this up, not tested it yet, still riding my fixed

Craftsman
    Red all day long. Too many boring black bikes about.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Very good choice. Did you all buy the same team bike or did you get issued with it?
    We are normally issued a bike, but its the mid range Tarmac Expert. We all wanted better bikes this year, so opted out of the free bike. Not as made as it sounds. Instead of our sponsors financing the Tarmac Expert, we just financed the S-Works ourselves. Will sell through one of the sponsors, Leisure Lakes Bikes at end of season and recoup our investment. Then start again for 2018.

That's a very respectable 20:28 by the way. I am no good at 10's. I can never pace myself correctly and blow up after about 8 miles. I prefer 25's or 50's I can find my rhythm much easier.
    Last edited by clockwatcher; 14th March 2017 at 23:59.

Master
    This is mine, Nukeproof Mega AM (27.5). Not too bad at climbing but point it downhill and it comes into its own.

Also have a Ribble road bike but prefer mountain biking.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We are normally issued a bike, but its the mid range Tarmac Expert. We all wanted better bikes this year, so opted out of the free bike. Not as made as it sounds. Instead of our sponsors financing the Tarmac Expert, we just financed the S-Works ourselves. Will sell through one of the sponsors, Leisure Lakes Bikes at end of season and recoup our investment. Then start again for 2018.

That's a very respectable 20:28 by the way. I am no good at 10's. I can never pace myself correctly and blow up after about 8 miles. I prefer 25's or 50's I can find my rhythm much easier.
    S-Works is the way to go. I'd definitely do the same myself.

Yes, pacing is everything. It should feel really easy in the first few minutes because you're fresh. Power can be over 400W if you're not vigilant. I've done a few 48's for 25, 48:14 is my fastest & is the fastest ever for somebody my age. Last year I did 1:41:41 for a 50 miler aged 53. 18:44 for a 10 & that was an Age Record as well. You've got to pick a fast course though. Some of the fastest times ever recorded were on a DC course in Hull on a day when Bolton Wanderers were playing Hull City away. 28 football coaches overtook the last few riders one after the other. They all did massive PB's. I didn't do that one :-(

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    Red.

Red for me too

Master
    S-Works is the way to go. I'd definitely do the same myself.

Yes, pacing is everything. It should feel really easy in the first few minutes because you're fresh. Power can be over 400W if you're not vigilant. I've done a few 48's for 25, 48:14 is my fastest & is the fastest ever for somebody my age. Last year I did 1:41:41 for a 50 miler aged 53. 18:44 for a 10 & that was an Age Record as well. You've got to pick a fast course though. Some of the fastest times ever recorded were on a DC course in Hull on a day when Bolton Wanderers were playing Hull City away. 28 football coaches overtook the last few riders one after the other. They all did massive PB's. I didn't do that one :-(
    Blimey - they are not far off pro times, certainly a couple of minutes up on me.

This is me last season in the Smithfield RR in Cumbria wearing the red helmet. I got in a small break which we agonisingly managed to hold on to, almost got caught on the final lap, but rolled across the line to take 5th. Second picture is about 10 metres from the finish line....the gurning face says it all :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Blimey - they are not far off pro times, certainly a couple of minutes up on me.

This is me last season in the Smithfield RR in Cumbria wearing the red helmet. I got in a small break which we agonisingly managed to hold on to, almost got caught on the final lap, but rolled across the line to take 5th. Second picture is about 10 metres from the finish line....the gurning face says it all :)
    Brilliant photos & a good result. It's satisfying when you hold off the bunch. I haven't done a road race for a few years. Last time I did it was eyeballs out then sit up & repeat...all the way. I think I'm too used to testing now.

It's nice to be able to rub shoulders with the pros. Puts it into perspective just how good they are. I was 10th in the National 10 in 2011. Bradley Wiggins won it. And Marcin Bialoblocki put the 10 record on the shelf last year with a 16. That was on the Hull course aka the V718 or the Mighty V. Have you ever ridden it?

Brilliant photos & a good result. It's satisfying when you hold off the bunch. I haven't done a road race for a few years. Last time I did it was eyeballs out then sit up & repeat...all the way. I think I'm too used to testing now.

It's nice to be able to rub shoulders with the pros. Puts it into perspective just how good they are. I was 10th in the National 10 in 2011. Bradley Wiggins won it. And Marcin Bialoblocki put the 10 record on the shelf last year with a 16. That was on the Hull course aka the V718 or the Mighty V. Have you ever ridden it?

That must be such a fast course on an absolutely perfect day to take 45 seconds out of Alex's record... and then do the same the next day for the 25.

Personally, I'll be happy to get down to 22mins this season, although our club course is rather 'sporting' in nature.

Master

Thanks! Meant to say the third picture in the sequence is 10 metres form the line. The second pic is through and off in the breakaway group

I am yet to rub shoulders with the pros :( Closest I came was when Brad joined in our chainy on a training camp in Majoraca. We were working our nuts off and he was just playing at it. It seemed like no effort to him at all. A proper case of man vs. boys

Not ridden the V718 or as we call it here the end of the M62! Things like the 28 Bolton Wanderers coaches coming past at 60 mph frighten the life out of me. Soft I know! A couple of my team mates have done short 19's there. I only do about 3 or 4 TT's a year which usually includes the Warrington RC 4-up on the J/29 which is more fun for me as its not as lonely :)
    Last edited by clockwatcher; 15th March 2017 at 13:56.