closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 28 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Craftsman
    Also new to this road cycling, weather getting great so first outing planned for this weekend so not hoping for aches, pains and sore backside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    On a visit to Dorking this week, saw this stunning hand built lo-pro in Musette, a cycle cafe in the centre of town.

Journeyman
    Some lovely looking bikes on this thread ... hopefully the weather will start to turn a little warmer (well after the next beast from the east on Easter Weekend) --

Just building up my 3rd road bike at present and hopefully have that on the road next month ... Keep on pedaling everyone

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Nothing worse than seeing seasoned road riders wearing 20year old baggy and worn Lycra!
    I beg to differ; think that ever so cool.

Think the new slick lycra on verteran cyclist moe often than not simply silly. Worst when on mtb.

Anyway, yesterday went to the bike shop with my son, mud plugging on the mtbs. He on his old entry level Decathlon hybrid.
    He was totally flabbergasten when he saw a bike with a card ´Sold; his name´.
    Oh, btw, you can ride it back.

A Giant XTC advanced 1 in 50 shades of matt black.
    Carbon rims, seat post etc. , all XT 2x.
    Cost me an arm and a leg buy hey, he bunny hopped all the way back :-)
    His mom just txt me that he is still in the clouds, displayed the bunny hops to her and that she is now privvy to the minutest details of wonderbike....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I beg to differ; think that ever so cool.

Think the new slick lycra on verteran cyclist moe often than not simply silly. Worst when on mtb.

Anyway, yesterday went to the bike shop with my son, mud plugging on the mtbs. He on his old entry level Decathlon hybrid.
    He was totally flabbergasten when he saw a bike with a card ´Sold; his name´.
    Oh, btw, you can ride it back.

A Giant XTC advanced 1 in 50 shades of matt black.
    Carbon rims, seat post etc. , all XT 2x.
    Cost me an arm and a leg buy hey, he bunny hopped all the way back :-)
    His mom just txt me that he is still in the clouds, displayed the bunny hops to her and that she is now privvy to the minutest details of wonderbike....
    Great spec’d bike, would loved to of seen the expression on his face, priceless. Did the same to my young boy a few year back, bought him a Kona mountain bike, muching round the shop and worked our way round to the Kona, sat on it, was in awe of it. Told him it was his and he could take it home, he looked over his shoulder all the way back to the car expecting the shop keeper to come out and shout “stop someone’s stealing my bike” priceless

Master
    After three and a half years of ownership I decided to rebuild my Merlin. This was it a few weeks ago -

It's a 1996 frame and the Shimano M952 XTR didn't appear until 98 or 99 I think, but I wasn't that bothered as it looks almost identical to M950 which appeared in 96. Still, it's been like that for over three years and I felt it was time for a change so I stripped it down to this -

I bought an old Diamond Back Vertex which had a full M900 XTR groupset which provided me with this -

And I sourced a pair of nos Campagnolo Stheno rims and Syncros Revolution cranks and it now looks like this -

Last edited by Dynam0humm; 24th March 2018 at 00:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    After three and a half years of ownership I decided to rebuild my Merlin. This was it a few weeks ago -

It's a 1996 frame and the Shimano M952 XTR didn't appear until 98 or 99 I think, but I wasn't that bothered as it looks almost identical to M950 which appeared in 96. Still, it's been like that for over three years and I felt it was time for a change so I stripped it down to this -

I bought an old Diamond Vertex which had a full M900 XTR groupset which provided me with this -

And I sourced a pair of nos Campagnolo Stheno rims and Syncros Revolution cranks and it now looks like this -

That looks superb, whats the braking and shifting like?

Master
    Cheers! The shifting is perfect as you'd expect from Shimano XTR and the braking not so good as you'd expect from cantilevers. I'm not too bothered about the brakes as it's not like I'll be charging down the black routes at the local trail centre on it. I have an Ibis Mojo for that type of thing and the Merlin is for gentle xc and general commuting duties.

Master
    I can't be bothered to work out how to post pics here, so here is a url of the bike I got 15 years ago. The maker is Pashley who made bicycles for the Royal Mail and I believe now does the Boris bike.

The second url is the same as the wifes bike and we quite often poddle sedately around for a bit of relaxed exercise.

http://www.pashley.co.uk/bikes/bicycles/parabike.php

http://www.pashley.co.uk/bikes/bicycles/britannia.php

Master
    My Saracen all carbon mtb

Titanium race bike, with road wheels on

And here is a stock photo of my new Argon18 (also carbon) to be used for T/T races -but only some, as it does not corner!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    And here is a stock photo of my new Argon18 (also carbon) to be used for T/T races -but only some, as it does not corner!
    [/QUOTE]

Now that looks like an awesome beast!

Master
    Blog Entries

I bought an old Diamond Back Vertex which had a full M900 XTR groupset which provided me with this -

Very, very nice

Jamis Exile - got me one of these as my commuter bike (library picture)- I've 100% been a mountain biker only for the last 30 years and have never ever even tried a road bike - I'm hooked
    It's a tough one too got hit by a car couple of days ago and all i needed was new handlebar tape. I broke some ribs and have the hugest bruise I have ever gotten on my thigh. it hurt to walk and hurt to get in and out of the car so just kept cycling...

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Also new to this road cycling, weather getting great so first outing planned for this weekend so not hoping for aches, pains and sore backside

I'm a confirmed mountain biker and know nothing about road bikes, but I got to say this looks a beauty to me, I love the simplistic retro looks, design shape and colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Jamis Exile - got me one of these as my commuter bike (library picture)- I've 100% been a mountain biker only for the last 30 years and have never ever even tried a road bike - I'm hooked
    It's a tough one too got hit by a car couple of days ago and all i needed was new handlebar tape. I broke some ribs and have the hugest bruise I have ever gotten on my thigh. it hurt to walk and hurt to get in and out of the car so just kept cycling...
    Mountain biker who used to commute to work on a bike. Had so many near misses, I started commuting with a GoPro, then I got hit by a car, and realised a GoPro won't actually save my life, just document my death. So I commute in a car now. It sucks, but I've got two kids and don't want to die doing something as trivial as getting to work.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Mountain biker who used to commute to work on a bike. Had so many near misses, I started commuting with a GoPro, then I got hit by a car, and realised a GoPro won't actually save my life, just document my death. So I commute in a car now. It sucks, but I've got two kids and don't want to die doing something as trivial as getting to work.
    Well it was bound to happen - so many near misses every week - indeed a Go pro will just maybe prove who was wrong after the fact. I'd commute in car - but the stress would kill me sooner probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Well it was bound to happen - so many near misses every week - indeed a Go pro will just maybe prove who was wrong after the fact. I'd commute in car - but the stress would kill me sooner probably.
    I've done everything I can to bring the stress down - electric car, so no dirty refuelling, no worrying about being able to afford the petrol (free charger at the gym, nice inducement for me to go 3 times a week!). Really nice interior, full leather, remote activated climate control, heated everything, Bose stereo etc.

My commute is 6 miles of country lanes. Sounds ideal for cycling, but in practice it's cars squeezing you as they're desperate to get past, lorries not giving you nearly enough room, and queues of traffic that you have to sit in anyway as there's not enough space to filter. Electric car is the perfect tool for it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never got round to putting a picture of my Trek Emonda SL5 so thought I would put that right. I have got to put the new Summer wheels on soon which are Mavic Ksyrium Elites, roll on the nice weather.

Banned
    Blog Entries

xtc 0 and 1

Ze Blu Wan is mine, Fifti Blek my son´s:

Put a deposit down on this beauty tonight. Don’t worry these peddles were just put on for a test ride from the bike shop, cannot wait to pick her up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Ze Blu Wan is mine, Fifti Blek my son´s:

Nice brace there, mine after recent clean and service Attachment 13566

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Nice brace there, mine after recent clean and service Attachment 13566

Better picture on a glorious morning in the Lakes

Craftsman
    Merlin
    Now.You.Are.Talking.

I've got a Merlin Magia road bike 2/3rds built, I'll post some pictures when I'm home. They're a work of art up close but has the riding qualities of a noodle.

I think I need a matching MTB now that I've seen that! Thanks for posting.

My current summer bike: Wilier Cento1 Air Ultegra 11s mechanical - the 2017 model - with a few much needed upgrades :)

172,5mm Rotor 3D+ w. Power2Max NG powermeter + 52/26 Praxis Works rings
    KMC SL chain
    Flechtwerk Carbon Wheels
    Selle Italia Flite Flow Carbonio

Before any fellow Velominati points it out: yes I know, I need to cut down that steerer :)

Not the lightest bike I've had but probably the fastest, just a shame that my guns aren't what they where 20 years ago.

Master
    A nice day with no rain expected, though I probably should have checked my whole route rather than just the local forecast. I withdrew my Cannondale from the garage and pointed it eastward. I thought it might be rather nice to have a coffee and a sandwich at Costa Coffee in Melton Mowbray, a location I've cycled to or through a few times in the past.

Lightweight clothing on again and what unalloyed bliss to be gliding along Ashby Road on a decently surfaced road in the sun, on my most agile bike. Over the Soar into Nottinghamshire, through Rempstone and Wymeswold, along the hilly bit near Asfordby then into Melton where I hung a right into the pedestrianised area of the town centre (I didn't bother to get off the bike) and cabled the bike to a lamppost just outside Costa. I ordered an Americano, a salad sandwich and a bakewell tart and consumed them at a table outside, in warm sunshine. What an absolute joy.

My Garmin Foretrex gave a low battery warning on the approach to Melton so when I got to Costa I switched it off, clogged over to Boots and bought 4 AAAs. I replaced the two dead ones while enjoying my coffee. So convenient, and that's why I bought it. It just picks up where you left it when you switch it on, recording the same track.

I had actually brought my Shimano cleat covers with me, but I just clogged around in bare cleats. I must stop doing one or the other.

So after a delightful half hour relaxing in the sun outside Costa, I set off again. Rather than heading straight back I thought I'd continue on for a couple of miles before turning round. I vaguely remembered taking the B676 east out of Melton on a previous ride - probably the Norfolk trip last year - so I did that. After about three miles I saw a left turn to a place called Freeby, and I thought - why not? Who can resist a Freeby, after all. But after about a mile, after turning into the village proper, the road seemed to degenerate into the sort of narrow, bumpy, gravel-spattered path that you don't really want to take a road bike along. So I didn't. I turned round and headed for home the same way. Nice little village though, very quiet.

Annoyingly, after Asfordby on the way back at the 40 mile mark, conditions darkened, the temperature dropped and shortly after that, it started to rain lightly. I was plagued by occasional light rain for the next ten miles but once back over into Leicestershire the rain dried up, the sky brightened up nicely and I was back in warm, fine weather. I stopped at a bench near Belton. I sat carefully, because it had nettles growing up through it.

The last 15 miles coming back from Rempstone usually seem a bit of a chore - I particularly dislike the first five of them, for some reason. But today it didn't seem a grind at all, I was still in high spirits and enjoying myself, even with a headwind to contend with. I even briefly considered staying out for another 35 to make it 100, perhaps by adding on my favourite Twycross route, or one of its many variations. I seemed to have plenty of energy and mojo left, probably as a result of having a relaxing refuelling stop at Melton.

No interesting wildlife, just a few dead badgers by the side of the road. I saw a pheasant legging it across the road in the path of an oncoming Land Rover near Wymeswold, but it took flight just before being thwacked and escaped death by about an inch.

I could feel my knee joints a bit - I gave them a bit of trauma a week ago on a 135 mile ride - but they never threatened to give me any trouble today. Encouraged to have done 65 without any bother. My quads started to complain slightly over the last 20 miles or so but I'm not bothered about that. Just means I'm toughening them up.

64.98 miles, and that's an acceptable 385 this month, 1115 this year. A bit more during the week, I hope.

Not the best handling bike off road but it survived...

Master
    Just picked this up
    Pro by biglewie, on Flickr

Master
    Just going to insert a quick plug.

One day this summer, I will ride 200 miles for a breast cancer charity, Breast Cancer Care.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/twohundred

Any help you can offer them is very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Just going to insert a quick plug.

One day this summer, I will ride 200 miles for a breast cancer charity, Breast Cancer Care.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/twohundred

Any help you can offer them is very much appreciated.
    Donated. I did a 1500km ride for Coram a couple of years ago so I know what a challenge it is. Good luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Donated. I did a 1500km ride for Coram a couple of years ago so I know what a challenge it is. Good luck.
    And very generous, many thanks. I must admit I was half dead after doing 179 last year but I think I'm a bit fitter now, and I have a slightly more agile bike. So I'm quite optimistic :)

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    And very generous, many thanks. I must admit I was half dead after doing 179 last year but I think I'm a bit fitter now, and I have a slightly more agile bike. So I'm quite optimistic :)
    Longest day was just over 300km from Reims to Dijon. Had to get up and do it again the next day though!
    Last edited by gunner; 4th May 2018 at 09:23.

Reminded me that I really should finish off the Scott Scale/Cannondale lefty project I started about 5yrs ago...

Daughter is very excited that we'll have matching bikes at Centre Parcs this year.

Journeyman
    In prep for the Tour de Yorkshire coming through I went up Park Rash today. If it was in Flanders it would be one of the most famous climbs in the world!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

A pic of our cheat bikes in the beer garden earlier

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by martinupnorth View Post
    In prep for the Tour de Yorkshire coming through I went up Park Rash today. If it was in Flanders it would be one of the most famous climbs in the world!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    They don't waste good Tarmac zig-zagging up the side of a hill in Yorkshire. They just go straight up the short way. I'm considering riding the Ryedale Rumble in July. 170km, taking in Boltby Bank, Blakey Bank & at 90 miles, Rosedale Chimney. The Chimney is 1 in 3. I'm not sure my lowest gear of 36:28 is going to be low enough :-/

Finally (I hope) got some image posting capability. My Brompton on the seafront between Bournemouth and Christchurch:

Craftsman
    For the smooth (ha!) road rides

Craftsman
    For the bumpy fun rides:

Master
    Just dug my old stumpjumper out of the ex gf"s garage. Looks a sight, ivy grew into the garage over where the bike was stored and dropped some sort of sap onto it. Looks horrendous but will get scrubbing tomorrow and see if it shines up ok.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    For the smooth (ha!) road rides

Oooh what's that behind the bike???
    Does it have a Honda badge?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Oooh what's that behind the bike???
    Does it have a Honda badge?

Good spot!
    Honda badge indeed, as it has an Integra Type-R lump. Spinning up to 9000 odd rpm just behind your left ear = Good times! (little bit scary sometimes)

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    Good spot!
    Honda badge indeed, as it has an Integra Type-R lump. Spinning up to 9000 odd rpm just behind your left ear = Good times! (little bit scary sometimes)

Is it a Grinell?

Craftsman
    Can see the similarity, but no. It's a Brooke

More details and photos here if interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173376230559

Craftsman
    My daughters Whyte and my Marin

Just finished building this for my 11yo lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Just finished building this for my 11yo lad.

That looks great, I hope he has a lot of fun on that!

Craftsman
    This is about as off-road as I want to go!

Master
    Recently bought a GT grade as there are lots of coastal and loch side paths near me. Just bought a mid level ally one as wasn't sure how much I'd use it.

Its proving all the bike I need. More comfortable and not much slower than the road bike and more than capable of light trail use.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Just picked this up this afternoon

2019 Whyte 603. Added a charge spoon seat and some DMR V8 pedals and ready to go. Very very light. Off out shortly in the late afternoon sun.