closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 80 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 4,000 of 4164

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Master
    Awesome Trident, so pleased for you.

Master
    Anyone seen the video of MvdP going up Montrose Street?

Absolute monster.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Glasgow Scotland...UCI Gran Fondo World Championships yesterday. Came away with Silver medal in the Over 60 age category.….. There was a fast sharp right hander, slightly downhill, 2.8 miles from the finish. I'd recced it the day before with my team mate. I hammered it into that corner taking the fast line using both sides of the road & kept the power going beyond. The rest of the field took more care being in a big bunch so I opened up a 150 metre lead very quickly. I swept up the lone breakaway rider, the American Brendan Sullivan who had executed a brave 'shit or bust' attack 10 miles from the finish & who bizarrely was born in the same maternity hospital as me 60 years ago. 3 riders managed to bridge across to me. The lead was tenuous though, & there were 50 riders bearing down on us less than 10 seconds behind with a mile to go. I flicked my elbow as a sign for somebody else to work with me & share the work at the front. Nobody came through though & I knew that none of the four of us would get a medal if the chasing riders caught us. I had good legs so I kept the power on. Average 390W for the last 6 minutes of the race. The final technical challenge was turning sharply right into Scone Palace through a narrow gateway. The organisers had made it even more technical by funnelling the riders into a narrower space with railings. Subsequently lots of crashes there throughout the day. I shot through the gateway in first place & immediately gave it a full gas sprint. Again the chasing riders had to ease off a bit & I opened up a gap. It was slightly uphill & about 600 metres to the line. It's a long way to be going Full Gas. After 200m I pulled my cleat out of my left pedal & had to click back in, momentarily having to freewheel. I was about 150m from the line & still in front. I was expecting to get swamped by riders any second. The Norwegian Jorn Fjeldavlie went past me having given him the perfect lead out but nobody else did. Me & my three last minute breakaway companions got the first 4 places but 5th place from the chasing bunch was only 1 second behind 4th. That's how close it was, if I'd have started playing cat & mouse with the other 3 then none of us would have got a medal. I'm still a bit gutted that I didn't get gold but 2nd over 60 rider in the world ain't bad I guess.

Awesome. Fantastic performance, well done sir.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Impressive, well done. Shame about the cleat …

Why no GBR jersey?
    Haha, mine is the current GBR jersey. Mike Twelves in bronze medal position is wearing a version from an earlier year. Just shows how it could have been designed clearer

Master
    Blog Entries
    Winner got a Tissot watch which I was coveting 🤪

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

Absolute monster.
    Just found it on YouTube. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fei1Gumw9Is

09:00 tomorrow, Sunday, will see the Men's Elite 271.1 km road race

Master
    Trident Chapeau, thanks for giving us a narrative as to what its like in the closing k’s of a race. My wife and I were shouting at Cat Ferguson with the red helmet today who kept flicking an arm for the French girl to take a turn.

Why didn’t she do like you pick her time and go full gas? Instead she had a strop! Allowing the brave French rider to win gold.
    Last edited by higham5; 5th August 2023 at 22:26.

Master
    Congratulations Trident, truly impressive achievement!

Absolute monster.
    The practice was worth while. Two rainbow jerseys in one year...

Two brilliant days of cycling, maybe some footballers should watch this

I just found Mark Cavendish: Never Enough on Netflix. That's my next hour and a half sorted...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I just found Mark Cavendish: Never Enough on Netflix. That's my next hour and a half sorted...
    Great documentary, watched it last night
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Great documentary, watched it last night
    Agreed, probably the UKs greatest ever cyclist.

Craftsman
    Glasgow Scotland...UCI Gran Fondo World Championships yesterday. Came away with Silver medal in the Over 60 age category.….. There was a fast sharp right hander, slightly downhill, 2.8 miles from the finish. I'd recced it the day before with my team mate. I hammered it into that corner taking the fast line using both sides of the road & kept the power going beyond. The rest of the field took more care being in a big bunch so I opened up a 150 metre lead very quickly. I swept up the lone breakaway rider, the American Brendan Sullivan who had executed a brave 'shit or bust' attack 10 miles from the finish & who bizarrely was born in the same maternity hospital as me 60 years ago. 3 riders managed to bridge across to me. The lead was tenuous though, & there were 50 riders bearing down on us less than 10 seconds behind with a mile to go. I flicked my elbow as a sign for somebody else to work with me & share the work at the front. Nobody came through though & I knew that none of the four of us would get a medal if the chasing riders caught us. I had good legs so I kept the power on. Average 390W for the last 6 minutes of the race. The final technical challenge was turning sharply right into Scone Palace through a narrow gateway. The organisers had made it even more technical by funnelling the riders into a narrower space with railings. Subsequently lots of crashes there throughout the day. I shot through the gateway in first place & immediately gave it a full gas sprint. Again the chasing riders had to ease off a bit & I opened up a gap. It was slightly uphill & about 600 metres to the line. It's a long way to be going Full Gas. After 200m I pulled my cleat out of my left pedal & had to click back in, momentarily having to freewheel. I was about 150m from the line & still in front. I was expecting to get swamped by riders any second. The Norwegian Jorn Fjeldavlie went past me having given him the perfect lead out but nobody else did. Me & my three last minute breakaway companions got the first 4 places but 5th place from the chasing bunch was only 1 second behind 4th. That's how close it was, if I'd have started playing cat & mouse with the other 3 then none of us would have got a medal. I'm still a bit gutted that I didn't get gold but 2nd over 60 rider in the world ain't bad I guess.
    Chapeau!!
    Last edited by weedram; 6th August 2023 at 23:37.

Master
    Blog Entries

Do you think if you and the other GBR guy in 3rd had ridden as a team one of you would have got gold?

Master
    Do you think if you and the other GBR guy in 3rd had ridden as a team one of you would have got gold?
    I was wondering if the gold medalist thanked you for your tactics on the basis he may not have medalled without your approach?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Me & Mike Twelves are massive rivals. I’ve won 4 national championships when he’s got silver to my gold. I’ve never stood on a lower step on the podium than him. Last month we competed in the British Cycling National Masters Champs & I was in a break of three including him, 2 minute lead with 8 miles to go….certain medal….but then I hit a pothole & had a front tyre blowout & game over for me. Mike got Gold that day. I wouldn’t expect him to do me any favours & I wouldn’t want to do him any. It’s every man for themselves, it’s not like we get paid for it :-) He did say to me afterwards that when I flicked my elbow he COULDN’T go through.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I was wondering if the gold medalist thanked you for your tactics on the basis he may not have medalled without your approach?
    No, but I think he knew that. None of us would have got a medal.

Master
    No, but I think he knew that. None of us would have got a medal.
    Thanks. I'd like to think I'd have said so if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    2024...will he / won't he...BBC link?

Grand Master
    Im not sure he will. He is too old and to put him out in a team just to possibly seize a stage win is not economical viable for Astana but may be worth it for the Photo of him doing so in an Astana jersey.

I would suggest equalling the worlds greatest is enough and respectful too rather than staging a win for a photo legacy that the remainder of the astana team will pay for and be demoralised by.
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Me & Mike Twelves are massive rivals. .... He did say to me afterwards that when I flicked my elbow he COULDN’T go through.
    I see ... I'm sure he was grateful of the wheel ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I see ... I'm sure he was grateful of the wheel ...
    Probably as grateful as he was when I got a front tyre blowout in the Nationals!

Master

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Amazing and moving interview with Matej Mohoric after winning Stage 19 of the TdF

https://youtu.be/pjTROQR9pHQ

Apart from the unbelievable eloquence and flawless English after having just exhausted himself, it’s a perfect summary of the team effort and suffering that goes into any endeavour.
    Also a great acknowledgment of imposter syndrome, something which even the most elite people in all fields suffer from (or should, if they have any humility).

Well worth the five minutes to watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Probably as grateful as he was when I got a front tyre blowout in the Nationals!
    I see Mike was 3rd in the TT. My mate was 6th.

I’d have thought you do that as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I see Mike was 3rd in the TT. My mate was 6th.

I’d have thought you do that as well.
    I didn’t really consider it. Probably should have. Mike’s never beaten me in a TT. I’m a bit TT’d out though having ridden nearly a thousand of them. It’s akin to banging your head against a brick wall. If it didn’t REALLY hurt, you didn’t try hard enough.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I didn’t really consider it. Probably should have. Mike’s never beaten me in a TT. I’m a bit TT’d out though having ridden nearly a thousand of them. It’s akin to banging your head against a brick wall. If it didn’t REALLY hurt, you didn’t try hard enough.

Seems like an opportunity missed.

I gave up TTing a few years ago, mainly due to the busy courses but also the plateau in performances which was way lower than your level. I did do a UCI masters worlds in Italy and came about half way in my age group, it was fun but a bit of a vanity exercise.

Congratulations on a massive result at the world's @trident-7. Shame to miss the gold but certainly a result to be proud of and a reward for all the hours in the saddle.

My little cousin in NZ managed to get herself a gold in the junior downhill MTB, certainly a promising future for her!!

I was reminded of your coveting of the winners watch seeing this pop up in my feed today...looks like he sees the funny side...

Master
    New wheels for the Orro, set up with Continental GP5000 tubless. Easiest tubless setup I've done. Had a good ride out today but it was bloody hot🥵

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice, are they the RSL version?

Been tempted with these myself so would be interested in your views as the spec seems great value compared to others.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Just the RL's, only had a couple of rides out on them but seem excellent for the price. No flex when putting the power down out of the saddle and run very smooth. Very easy to set up tubless and come with rim tape already installed (double wrapped) and tubless valves. Freehub is a bit loud and buzzy but it doesn't bother me. Could always stick a bit of extra grease in. Only thing is they don't come with locking rings for the centre lock brakes and typically my other wheels had the locking rings for external threads where these need the ones for internal threads. Get decent reviews online. Thyre currently £469 on Sigma Sports which I think is a bargain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s good to hear, seems to echo what I’ve read in the various reviews I’ve indulged in over the last few weeks.

do,you think the extra for DT 240 hub and Sapim spokes and 100g weight saving is worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Just the RL's, only had a couple of rides out on them but seem excellent for the price. No flex when putting the power down out of the saddle and run very smooth. Very easy to set up tubless and come with rim tape already installed (double wrapped) and tubless valves. Freehub is a bit loud and buzzy but it doesn't bother me. Could always stick a bit of extra grease in. Only thing is they don't come with locking rings for the centre lock brakes and typically my other wheels had the locking rings for external threads where these need the ones for internal threads. Get decent reviews online. Thyre currently £469 on Sigma Sports which I think is a bargain.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    That’s good to hear, seems to echo what I’ve read in the various reviews I’ve indulged in over the last few weeks.

do,you think the extra for DT 240 hub and Sapim spokes and 100g weight saving is worth it?
    I'm 6ft4 and 15st 2lb so the 100g weight saving didn't even cross my mind🤣 I've read a review where they put these one a cross bike and went off road with them, they stayed true so quite happy with the spokes. As for the hubs I guess if you really really want the DT Swiss then it would be worth the extra.

Woke up this morning to stunning weather so popped the Brompton Electric and a full battery into the car and drove the 85 miles down to Dungeness.

Plan is to hug the coast to Hythe, Folkestone and Dover, or until the battery dies. There is a direct bus back from Dover which is the beauty of the Brompton.

I have cycled explored the coast all the way from Swanage to Dungeness, so this just continues my exploration around Kent coast bit by bit.

Master
    Make sure you stop for lunch at: https://www.dungenesssnackshack.net/

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Make sure you stop for lunch at: https://www.dungenesssnackshack.net/
    Unfortunately I arrived with a belly full of breakfast, so will be eating later in the afternoon.

Wonderful paths for leisure cycling around St Mary’s Bay

Hi all, sorry to highjack the thread.

I've put a WTB add for some SPD pedals and cleats. Thought I'd draw your attention to it here as some of you may not venture into the WTB section.

Thanks in advance.

Long shot, but I’m looking for a gravel bike for my partner. Before we splash out on a new Liv Devote… does anyone have one here that they might want to move on? Size Small please. Ideally Sram Rival or Force AXS. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    New bike arrived, Orro Venturi STC. Just need to order some new deeper wheels which I prefer.
    Just bought the Orro Evo gold, my first full carbon road bike. Very comfortable, I think more sportive than race or aero, which suits my aged frame - comfort is important these days! 28mm tyres, but almost enough clearance to go bigger or even knobbly if I wanted. I've not ridden carbon before - it's great but seems to rattle. Is that normal?
    Anyway, does the biking cognoscenti like Orro? I hadn't heard of them. Made in Sussex, apparently.

Master
    Carbon frames are very rigid , so road shocks propagate through the frame more AND sound louder as the carbon has no sound deadening characteristics like Aluminium or Steel.

Obvious things first, its a new bike, is everything cinched up correctly, nuts bolts loose cables?

Lastly Orro , whilst I hadnt heard of them until this year. They sponsored (donated two bikes) to a local athlete who did 105 back to back Ironman triathlons on them. They must have stood up well as one of them was auctioned off at the end for charity.

Enjoy the new steed

Steve

Thank you. It feels quick and is great up hills - I live in the South Downs so we certainly have a lot of those! I am very happy with it. It's the first brand new bike I have bought in thirty years! I will see how it goes. I have read that it might benefit from upgrading the wheels and seat post, but there's no point leaping into spending money (says the watch addict!) at the moment as it's already been a revelation compared to my old eBay bargain bike

Nice Orro. Might be tricky upgrading the seatpost as it looks bespoke profile to the bike. Wheels can make a big difference though.

Master
    I think we're talking about different Orros?

The Evo Gold comes with a round alloy seatpost, so that's an easy change. I'd agree that the biggest difference would be better wheels. If it has the Fulcrums as per the website, then these are fairly bog standard heavy things.

A few hundred shelled out on some carbon fibre wheels would be a decent spend to add a bit of liveliness (lighter) and extra comfort (wider rims & tyres), that being the case. Still, make sure you get a few months of riding it first, you'll find what you like or don't like about it then.
    Last edited by Bondurant; 6th October 2023 at 10:50.

The Evo Gold comes with a round alloy seatpost, so that's an easy change. I'd agree that the biggest difference would be better wheels. If it has the Fulcrums as per the website, then these are fairly bog standard heavy things.

A few hundred shelled out on some carbon fibre wheels would be a decent spend to add a bit of liveliness (lighter) and extra comfort (wider rims & tyres), that being the case. Still, make sure you get a few months of riding it first, you'll find what you like or don't like about it then.
    Sorry, you're right, I scrolled up and immediately saw the Venturi.

I've no personal experience with Orro but all the reviews and feedback from owners seems very positive. If I were looking to buy another bike they'd definitely be high on my list, especially as they seem a bit of a bargain at the moment (see for example Merlin).

On the wheel upgrade front, of course you don't have to go all out on carbon wheels (tempting though it is). I got a superb and very light alloy set from DCR wheels - I have what they call their "Standard" wheelset, lighter than a lot of the more run of the mill carbon wheels. Also they are incredibly helpful in providing advice and answering questions.

Good advice, thank you

Master
    That looks lovely, very very nice

I did Dungeness to Folkestone last week, and I am eeking out the last of the lovely warm weekends, and have driven the 75 miles to Herne Bay this morning to this week explore the north Kent coast.

Herne Bay to Margate to Broadstairs to Ramsgate on the Brompton leccy. Then bus back from Margate to Herne Bay.

Old skool holiday resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post

Absolutely love a curtis

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Absolutely love a curtis

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    Curtis Bikes are fantastic.

This is their new Gravel bike, the Slackjack.

It’s an absolutely amazing thing and the first of a range of custom bikes for gravel.

I visited the workshop yesterday to do some photography with it, it’s current on its way to a custom bike show in Germany for its first public showing.

Thought I would post here, as I knew it’s something we would appreciate.

I can link to more shots but it’s waiting to be added to their website.