closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An amazingly rare and historically important Speedmaster

Although i find the watch not to my tastes, this is a fantastic story and i am very excited for the next installment

Was looking at my Omega Museum pics yesterday and that reminded of the Alaska IV watch. Have you found out more about it since the last post in July?

Nothing to add yet - I'm having to be super patient, hopefully worth it in the long run though. Trust me, you guys will be the first to know, when I have any news !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    Nothing to add yet - I'm having to be super patient, hopefully worth it in the long run though. Trust me, you guys will be the first to know, when I have any news !
    Good to hear, I found your watch one of the most exciting finds I had heard about in a long time.
    Looking forward to the next instalment.
    Cheers Mick

Craftsman
    Well done that man!

One day I'll find Buzz Aldrin's lost Speedmaster and then you'll all envy me.....

Craftsman

It's like...

Bloody Antiques Roadshow , awesome. Well done

Craftsman
    Insane!

I've just read this thread for the first time. The story behind this watch id amazing. As a lover of all things space related I cant wait for this to unfold.

Congratulations on an immense find. Even better that the watch is also a beaut.

I have only just spotted this; perhaps it was the arrival of an X33 that has perked my interest. A fabulous tale told very well and I'm looking forward to further updates.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I've just had another long conversation with the Omega Museum - unfortunately there is nothing that I'm authorised to tell you at the moment - things are moving, but slowly. Hopefully by november I will be in a position to share some more information with you guys.

Master
    And I for one am very much looking forward to it!!

Great story and fantastic find, we'll done, I am looking forward to hearing the next chapter (and more history) in this rare watches life :)

Master
    Thanks for the update - can't wait to hear more!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Thanks for the update - can't wait to hear more!
    Ditto! This has been a really interesting thread :)

Master
    Fantastic story. How would one go about getting a value set on it for insurance purposes?

Just catching up with this thread. Now glued to it for updates like many others. Great find futon.

In traditional Antiques Roadshow style, "Have you up'ed your house insurance to cover this?". It's probably worth more than your bike

Martin - not sure how you're familiar with my mountain bike ?

A lot has been made on this thread about how valuable this watch is. To be sure, this is an unknown quantity. Watches like this don't come up publicly, for sale very often, if at all. The only recent equivalent is an X33 prototype, sold at auction in 2008 for SF18000 (about Ł13000). The x33 proto was pretty rare, only 50 were made, and is arguably a more interesting watch, but, compared to mine, much less rare....... and of coarse, mine is number 1, which has a certain cachet....... add in a worldwide recession since 2008, and I dunno!!! Clearly, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and as it stands - that's unknown - until I sell it.

I actually wear it quite a lot, since it's quite scratched, I don't have to worry about it, it's actually easier to wear than my other Omegas that are in nice condition.
    Last edited by futon river crossing; 25th September 2013 at 17:09.

Don't sell it! We've seen a few "grail" watches getting sold...it always makes me a bit "sad", even though you gotta do what you gotta do...
    Last edited by webvan; 25th September 2013 at 18:40.

Journeyman
    I've just had another long conversation with the Omega Museum - unfortunately there is nothing that I'm authorised to tell you at the moment - things are moving, but slowly. Hopefully by november I will be in a position to share some more information with you guys.
    Amazing find and a cracking read! Cant wait to find out the next installment!!!!

Craftsman
    Any updates to this intriguing episode? :)

Master
    A lot has been made on this thread about how valuable this watch is. To be sure, this is an unknown quantity. Watches like this don't come up publicly, for sale very often, if at all. The only recent equivalent is an X33 prototype, sold at auction in 2008 for SF18000 (about Ł13000). The x33 proto was pretty rare, only 50 were made, and is arguably a more interesting watch, but, compared to mine, much less rare....... and of coarse, mine is number 1, which has a certain cachet....... add in a worldwide recession since 2008, and I dunno!!! Clearly, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and as it stands - that's unknown - until I sell it.

I actually wear it quite a lot, since it's quite scratched, I don't have to worry about it, it's actually easier to wear than my other Omegas that are in nice condition.
    Bloody marvellous! They're for wearing, after all. Love the fact that most people wouldn't have a clue about the significance of what's on your wrist!

Apprentice
    [Quote/]

I'd just like to say a big thanks to Tom for his help and enthusiasm, without his initial post on the forgotten Alaska, I would never have spotted this watch. Also to Simon at STS, for his expertise, which was generously and freely given.[/QUOTE]

That - is very cool. What a wee gem of a find! Nice one!

Master
    Good thread resurrection, now for the love of God please provide us with an update, assuming of course you have one. That said, maybe you are on a world cruise taking a break ;-)

Seriously though, a great tale of someone doing a hell of a lot of investigative work and coming up trumps. I enjoyed reading this sooo much earlier this year and genuinely cannot wait to hear what news you may have.

Regards

Paul

Craftsman
    Sorry to bump but is there any update? its been a while.

Master
    Was just thinking about this thread the other day! An update would be most excellent..

Interesting and nice post! Thanks for sharing!

Not sure if I missed this first time around but as it doesn't look like I said it then I will say it now....

HOLY SHIT!

Nice catch

Fabulous find! Even better than finding an extremely rare piece is finding one that actually looks really nice! I don't know if I'd have the guts to ever wear something this rare though...

Master
    Super cool find!

Master
    Sorry to bump an old thread but for some reason it just popped into my mind this morning, and I just wondered if there had been any more updates on this story? Thanks.

Master
    Great thread bump - this was one of my favourite posts and was very pleased for the OP.

First time I've seen this thread and what an amazing story. Took a gamble on a hunch and it paid off.

Can't wait to hear more.

I wish I could tell you guys right now - but what I've heard makes this watch all the more interesting :D
    It's been more than a year, it's probably ok to share what you heard at this point ;-)

Master
    Think we'll have to PM the OP as he doesn't seem to see this thread any more :(

Journeyman
    wow what a story, thanks for sharing!

Wow this is an awesome find! I'd love to hear the ending now that i'm all excited :D

somebody give us an update on this please!!

What an amazing find.

Here's my normal version in action. They have a couple of unusual features such as being able to start and stop the chrono from the main time mode, and the "Swiss Made" legend built into the LCD panel.

Craftsman
    amazing find - congrats! thats what collecting is all about!

how did i miss this thread last year :/ Oh well, i'll say it now. Absolutely superb find, well done!

OP will surely give us an update soon...

Took me ages to find this thread. Is there any more info about the watch?

Excellent thread. It reads like a thriller. I was reading through the pages and all the while hoping there would be a resolution by the time i reached the end.

I hope the OP is still grinning wherever he is - on a luxury yacht somewhere in the Mediterranean, feet up sipping a cocktail? or perhaps he still wears the watch. The suspense is unbearable lol.

Apprentice
    Thats damn cool! Thanks for sharing

Master
    Weirdly I was just thinking about this thread again the other day. I PM'd the OP quite some time ago pleading for an update, but never even got a reply. Not sure if they've dropped off the face of the earth or just enjoy seeing lots of folks wanting an update to this amazing story, squirm :)

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Weirdly I was just thinking about this thread again the other day. I PM'd the OP quite some time ago pleading for an update, but never even got a reply. Not sure if they've dropped off the face of the earth or just enjoy seeing lots of folks wanting an update to this amazing story, squirm :)
    Strange, OP is still active on other threads.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Strange, OP is still active on other threads.
    It turned out to be another Greenhalgh Shed Production?

Master
    Nice to see this post back to life, I have a couple of prototype versions of this watch with 000 serial numbers but these are pre production prototypes not the beta light NASA issued ones. When the OP found my thread on the Alaska watches and it led him to find number 1 of the 12 I made it my mission to find another............... and I did.....................

I have recently committed to one of these twelve amazing watches supplied to NASA, the watch is a mid range issue and is coming from a close friend so I will will be/ am the owner of one of these beta light prototypes issued to NASA. I am in the process of researching to establish what exactly NASA did with them as it is my understanding that all 12 were flown watches on the shuttle missions!

They are really interesting watches as they are virtually identical to the production watch with the exception of a rivet on the movement (production model was a screw) and the application of tritium behind LCD display (obviously with the absence of a light)

I will post some proper pics of my own example of these amazing NASA prototypes when I collect it

And in the meantime I will just have to make do with this, I love this post and I think it's too cool to not keep alive, I haven't shown this off on the forums before (or anywhere else for that matter) a few of you have seen it in the flesh so I will let the eagled eye'd amongst you tell me what's so special about this old electronic workhorse:

As you boys know I like to do things with style.........
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 12th May 2015 at 12:26.

Master
    Non standard hands, dial colour? The lume is an interesting colour, more like a patina radium gets.

Man if those speedys turn out to have been flown… Nice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    Non standard hands, dial colour? The lume is an interesting colour, more like a patina radium gets.

Man if those speedys turn out to have been flown… Nice.
    Not a bad opening gambit, dial lume is original and tritium but there is a lot lot more to this Speedosnic than meets the eye