closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: An amazingly rare and historically important Speedmaster

Master
    Massively heart warming that something I have written has helped a friend and community member snag something so special! I have a couple of the standard watches and I love them, this NASA issued one is really something so so special! Well done mate

Journeyman
    That is really cool.....very good work with spotting that!.......Be very interesting to see how much its actually worth!

Master
    Only real reference material was the 'flown' Speedie X-33 prototype from Omega Mania which sold for 18800CHF! What ever the value this is genuinely one of the rarest and most special speedmaster to ever grace the forum!

Journeyman
    What a fantastic sequence of events! Good find OP and well done!

Banned
    Just wanted to echo all the previous comments - great find indeed.

Thanks Tom - without your original thread, I would never have spotted it for what it is.

Apparently - Omega are working on adding more information on these watches, and are in contact with NASA to find out what archival info they have. I'll keep you all posted.

Master
    That's a truly great find. Congratulations!

Master
    Just wow! I have the "common" version and I love it, but this is just something else. Wow.

That really is an amazing story , well done on your find. Just have one question, has the watch been into space , or because it wasn't " chosen" means it wasn't suitable ? .

Lovely watch for what it is.
    But to add the nasa connection.
    Brave call, and chuffed for you it worked out.

Craftsman
    Wow.
    I think most people can relate to the 'long eBay week', but to that magnitude?
    What an incredible story. The buzz you must get from holding it in your hand (wearing it) and letting your imagination wander. Incredible.
    Please don't let it end here.

Congratulations! What an amazing find and well worth the risk!

As others have said please keep us posted on how this story continues. I shall be subscribing to this thread!

A quick update - I've had an email from the Omega Museum manager:
    >
    >
    >
    >

Dear Ashley,

Thank you very much for your very detailed email.
    It is indeed a very interesting story, and it is even better that it looks as if you acquired the No. 1…!!!
    Your last observation is correct. These prototypes all had “split” instead of “split/light” printed on them, as you have correctly deduced, the “light” function was not needed any longer…

A more detailed reply with some thoughts on the whole project (as in “Alaska”) will follow by next week.
    I can also put your mind at ease, as we would *not* claim ownership of your watch, even if you decided to send it over for evaluation.

Thank you & have a great weekend,

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Well that's put my mind at rest, Omega will not claim this watch, if I send it in. I'm looking forward to any further information that they have.

Edited by request
    Last edited by futon river crossing; 12th July 2013 at 17:56.

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post

Well that's put my mind at rest, Omega will not claim this watch, if I send it in. I'm looking forward to any further information that they have.
    Great stuff.

If you need anyone to fly over and hand deliver the watch, I am available ;-) any excuse to go back to the museum.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    Fantastic reply, great stuff!

I'd be tempted to send it to Bienne, have them fully check it over/clean it up and provide you with some formal paperwork...

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post

I'd be tempted to send it to Bienne, have them fully check it over/clean it up and provide you with some formal paperwork...
    That's a good plan.

With some supporting documentation from Omega the value will increase manifold.

A fascinating story, well done on the research and purchase.

Anyone can just walk into an AD and buy something, what you have got is by dint of your own research and knowledge and is to be applauded.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Agreed, and the terms of that email make it all the sweeter! You must be excited now if you can get formal paperwork!

Wow, what an amazing story!!
    Congratulations on your find!!
    Ciao,
    R

An Excitingly tantalising answer from them, I bet you would prefer him not to be oging away on holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Anyone can just walk into an AD and buy something, what you have got is by dint of your own research and knowledge and is to be applauded.
    Amen to that.

I've had a lot more satisfaction from lowly watches I have hunted down than ones (of any value) you an just buy. It lends the watch its own story before you've even got hold of it.

Mind you, I have never hunted down anything this spectacular (for rarity at least, I have to admit I do not find it the most attractive of watches).

D

Master
    Who knows who's wrist that watch that was worn on, assuming it did ever actually make it into space... it's quite tantalising! Have to agree with the comments about sending it back to Bienne - it even sounds like they'd be quite keen to see it.

Master
    As a huge vintage quartz fan, this has made my day and then some!

Not just that a watch of this sort of pedigree has turned up, but that it's gone to someone on here - and thanks to a lot of detective work and research.

What a great result. And what a stunner of a watch.

Master
    Great story, it might be amusing to send Omega the serial number and ask for an extract from the archives. they seem to grant those quite readily.

Just to echo what has been said before - good post and great find - thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on further information as it becomes available :)

Master
    Great find and great fun reading about it . Well done

Journeyman
    What a great story!

I'm sure NASA would have testing notes for all equipment, which would really add provenance to your find. I wonder if they have Freedom of Information requests in the USA and if NASA are bound by them as a government agency ?

Master

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Get on it!!

So you have the REAL moon watch?? that's really really cool

WOW! Great post, amazing find, please keep us posted with what else you find out.

Will make a very interesting home contents insurance quote

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone - It still hasn't sunk in to be honest!

I won't be restoring the watch, watches with this sort of history are better left alone I think. It is a concern that, if I send it to Omega, they will hold on to it! I will take that chance, as I want to have the official Omega authentication, also they may have other details or records regarding the Alaska IV.

The week of the listing was a very long one. I kept on checking to see if anyone had made a bid, as each day went by, the tension rose a little, still no one had spotted it....... half an hour before the end of the auction, I had a second conversation with Mrs FRC, just to be sure (we're not minted or anything) - I had 3 bids lined up, ready to go, fired in the first one with 15 seconds to go, then panicked - what if someone has a snipe in?? - fired in my highest bid, with 10 secs to go - but it was not needed, the watch had not been spotted.

Still on cloud 9.

Ash
    Well that's probably sorted the mortgage out if you have one.
    I agree about not restoring this important watch, every mark tells a story. I can only imagine how you felt when the auction was counting down. It just goes to show watches like this are out there, people can say all they like about eBay but a find like this is as good if not better than the bond watch recently sold. Your watch was probably worn by a real hero not a actor or a celebrity but someone risking life and limb in the name of space exploration. I have to admit I am very envious of you, the hair stood up on the back of my neck reading your tale.
    Bought from a professional watch trader too!
    I would defiantly take a trip over to Omega with the watch, do not post it!
    Well done and congratulations to you.
    Cheers Mick
    Last edited by Michael E; 12th July 2013 at 21:53.

Master
    Fantastic !

What most folk dream of is finding an ultra rare watch at a boot fair or badly described on ebay, you have done it. Not by luck but by knowledge and diligence, congrats.
    Who knows I may find a milsub at a garage sale yet, hmmmm! This is to me simply amazing and will def follow this as others have said.

Master

Cool

Its exciting,once spotted an early Omega with 30T2 RG movement that seller hadn't recognized.Was quite excited for few days but once bidding started to go up i knew fun was over .

That's an amazing story and great write up, enjoy the watch

Master
    You might even be able to get some photos of that particular watch in action from Nasa. Find out who it was asigned to , what mission they were on and then trawl the photo library for pictures of that particular astronaut going about their business. I wonder if it made it "outside" the shuttle. Maybe on nato on a spacesuit!

That would be quite a photo.

Good of Omega to be so open and helpful.

Master
    You might want to consider getting this into a safety deposit box rather than storing in your house until you get a proper valuation. I reckon you are looking at tens of thousands.

Incredible that such finds exist on eBay. Truly a case of investing the time and energy to know what you're looking at - I would have been a bit skeptical, even at such a low price. And it looks fantastic! Well researched and played.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic catch!!!, well done for putting the legwork in.

Master
    Just a word on FoI requests - I don't know what the position is in the US, but speaking as a public servant who occasionally gets these, one's immediate reaction is:

"Why has this rude @rse barged in to my day, asking some self-serving question that stops me getting on with my job doing things for people who would really benefit from my time? I'm just going to do the minimum for him, and if I can find a way to twist his request in to one of the FoI exceptions I'll just tell him to pi$$ off".

So, I suggest you first try to find a named individual who may know what you want to find out, then approach them directly with a polite and brief email or telephone query that does explain the historical significance of the watch and also shows that you're a genuine watch enthusiast. Chances are, if you're lucky, the guy will be fascinated and will go out of his way to find and send you all sorts of useful stuff.

You can always follow up with an FoI if you don't get anywhere.

It's just common sense, really.

Most UK FoIs I get are commercially driven by cheap-jack shysters looking for business information to help them pinch NHS contracts. Take it from me that you don't want to be classified along with that lot.

Webvan paid a visit to the Omega Museum yesterday - and kindly took some photos of their Alaska IV prototype:

Many thanks to Webvan for doing this :)

For sure it looks identical to mine. It's a shame the case back is covered, so it is impossible to see if it's numbered or not.

No additional news from the Omega Museum yet.

Craftsman
    Completely missed this thread. But my god is that a find. I'm immensely jealous not because of it's potential value (I would also hate to have the dilemma of keep or sell) but the buzz must have been insane. It really is one of the best watches I have seen on here from an importance. Some of the milsubs are very cool but this is in another league.

Great work from yourself, but also Tom for helping and STS and Omega too. I really hope you can get some great info from NASA and the are as forthcoming as Omega.

Master
    What a fantastic story, and even greater find!
    This has to be not only one of the rarest Omegas around, but also one of the most important in their history. I'd say that's a result!
    Keep us up to date as to what happens with Bienne if you do decide to send it

Alex

Journeyman
    Wow what a great find with a good story too!
    Would NASA be able to tell you who number 1 went to and whether or not it actually went into space? (Then scour the U.S. papers for any reports of a theft at that house - just to be careful).

Hats off to you frc, fortune truly does favour the brave in this instance. Great story, great write up and a fantastic historic watch.
    I am 'over the moon for you'(pun intended ).

Had missed that thread originally, what a fascinating story and watch! You definitely need to take it on a trip to Bienne for a picture with its "sister" ;-) I did struggle to take a picture of the caseback on Thursday but at the time I didn't realize it might have a number on it.

Here are a few more pictures I took (BTW the originals are 3D .mpo's if anyone has a 3D setup and wants them)

The second display case for the Alaska project :

And an overview picture with that second case visible in the foreground.

I have just had a nice chat with the Omega Museum manager. I can't reveal too much about that conversation at this stage........... There will be developments and and more information in the coming months.

Thanks for a fascinating story. One of the delights of hanging around here is learning something new.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

I have just had a nice chat with the Omega Museum manager. I can't reveal too much about that conversation at this stage........... There will be developments and and more information in the coming months.
    Are you and your watch going on a visit to the International Space Station?!!

Seriously though, I look forward to the updates of further developments.

Master
    Argh! Why do you post something tantalising like this! :)

I wish I could tell you guys right now - but what I've heard makes this watch all the more interesting :D

This is fascinating, and I have to say, not a little excruciating.
    Any idea when you can tell us....?
    D