timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone used these guys before?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Anyone used these guys before?

http://www.vintage-watches-collection.com

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Based in Beverley, Yorkshire. No shop and is internet based only but can view by appointment.

I ask the question as my brother is considering using them.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I'm interested to hear feedback on this company too as I've been browsing their site recently, ever since I started to think it might be quite nice to add a vintage watch to my collection.

They appear to have a very extensive stock, and one thing which appeals is their extremely detailed description of each watch.

Looks interesting. No experience of them though.

I noticed the extremely verbose description, although oddly in the one I was looking at there was about 2000 words but no mention of the size...

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Looks interesting. ... although oddly in the one I was looking at there was about 2000 words but no mention of the size...
    Probably because, being a vintage watch it is the size of 2 pence piece, tops and uses an oddball strap width like 19mm!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Probably because, being a vintage watch it is the size of 2 pence piece, tops and uses an oddball strap width like 19mm!
    Indeed. They'll be hoping some punter buys it without asking and then they won't take it back.

Bit sneaky that.

Damn you Ben, wish I hadn't looked at their site now. ;-)

Lots of details and pics - and to my (admittedly inexperienced) eyes the prices do seem rather good.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    I`m interested in them too; not too far away from me.....I like to keep my ear to the ground!

Just read their speil about vintage watches and I can`t say it impressed me. Almost as if they're trying to manage the expectations of their (potential) customers downwards, beyond what I think is reasonable. I disagree strongly with several of the statements, particularly the comments regarding water resistance. I`ve just restored a couple of 50s steel Seamasters and both were water-resistant to over 2 bar when I`d finished, possibly more. This means that both would be suitable for everyday use in a wet environment and there's no need to worry when doing the washing up, using a hosepipe etc..... that's a major point in a watch's favour in my opinion.

Far too many vintage watch dealers like to disclaim any responsibility for water resistance. In most cases it's down to cost. Getting a watch waterproof involves replacing the crown (or seal), caseback gasket and glass. Sometimes a new pendant tube is required because the surface is worn and the new crown won`t seal. No-one likes replacing these on old watches but sometimes it has to be done. Far easier and cheaper to take the cop-out option and claim that 'old watches won`t be waterproof'....which is untrue. In some cases, the surfaces where the caseback seal fits will be very pitted, but usually a satisfactory seal can be made if the repairer selects the right type of gasket or O ring. If a watch was designed to be waterproof when new it should have some degree of water resistance after service/restoration; that's what I stick to and I`m loathe to do otherwise, even though it involves spending a bit more money.

As for the claims that 'the watch might need regular attention' etc, again I disagree. If the watch is sorted properly it should run fine; the only thing I would advise is to get the auto-winding relubricated annually on some old watches to safeguard against further wear. I`d also advise getting an old watch serviced regularly (3-4 years) if it's used regularly. It's all about minimising wear on components which would be difficult to replace.

I`m interested to see what they're selling and how the prices stack up against the quality/service history/guarantee. Who knows, I might even end up doing a few jobs for them.............but I doubt it somehow. I still think it's hard to make a business out of vintage watches owing to the high cost of restoration and parts; there isn`t a lot of margin in it otherwise I`d be tempted to have a go myself.

Paul

Edit: just had a look at their Omega stuff and the prices are V. high. Some nice watches, no question about that, but mostly overpriced IMO. Are all those dials really original?.....somehow I`m not convinced! I'd be happy paying around 50-50% of the asking price on most of their stock. The verbose descriptions are unhelpful.....but some might like them. Might have a trip over and have a look around......I fancy a trip out.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 9th July 2013 at 19:14.

Master
    Some lovely looking pieces, would the collective expect that most of the dials have been refinished?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KJH View Post
    would the collective expect that most of the dials have been refinished?
    The cynic in me says 'yes', which is fine provided no-one tries to claim otherwise. Original dials in sharp condition with only the lightest of ageing are always sought after and will command a premium; clearly thee's a temptation to claim the dial's original. In some cases they could've been refinished 20-30 years ago and may have aged slightly, which confuses the picture even more.

Paul

The funky Omega that I was looking at they have up at £875 and claim that in London it would be more than double that. The self same model came up in auction last year and hit the top end of it's estimate.......£220.

Admittedly there one is a nice one, but not four times as nice (or eight times in London....)

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The cynic in me says 'yes', which is fine provided no-one tries to claim otherwise.
    Paul
    Which unfortunately they do in most of the descriptions. They claim totally untouched in most cases. Many are obvious redials.

Cheers

Foggy

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    The funky Omega that I was looking at they have up at £875 and claim that in London it would be more than double that. The self same model came up in auction last year and hit the top end of it's estimate.......£220.

Admittedly there one is a nice one, but not four times as nice (or eight times in London....)
    A nicely restored example, with a well-refinished dial, clean (or new) hands, refinished case etc is worth around £500 tops in my view. It needs to be good for that money.

£875 is crazy!

Paul

Never used or heard of them, but they have some nice early Rolex pieces. Or I think they're nice they may be butchered up or something.

Craftsman
    I looked on there some time ago as they have a lovely Smiths DeLuxe "Everest". Never went ahead with the purchase though. prices don't seem great.
    Last edited by Rano85; 9th July 2013 at 21:07.

Apprentice

rogue trader alert

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    http://www.vintage-watches-collection.com

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Based in Beverley, Yorkshire. No shop and is internet based only but can view by appointment.

I ask the question as my brother is considering using them.

Apprentice

Avoid this guy

Very bad experience with this trader (Marcus), best avoided. I paid a top price for what looks to be a nice example....but you try getting a receipt or any documentation out of this guy.....all very helpful until you hand the money over ...then nothing, no response, impossible to chase up...everything feel very fishy....best avoided...wish i had

Grand Master
    Just enjoyed reading my previous coments on this thread........I agree with every word I said

Paul

Thanks as usual for your valuable input Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Just enjoyed reading my previous coments on this thread........I agree with every word I said

Paul
    Reminds me of my favourite staff appraisal comment:

This officer is entirely satisfied with his own performance.

Remember to pat yourself on the back before you go to bed.

Apprentice
    Looks worthwhile, I have no idea though.

Interesting to see what others have to say.

Master
    I've bought from them in the past. Never again. As some on here have noted, the dials are too good to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Had a quick browse on their site.

You'd think that if they were 'so busy in the shop that they couldn't find the time to keep the Website up to date' they could afford to employ someone to do so ?!
    Or if indeed the shop is so busy why bother with a Website ??

Just my 10p.

Craftsman
    had some email interaction with these guys when looking for a vintage JLC. They said the website hadn't been updated in years, but had conveniently just received a new batch of stock that week, which just so happened to include the exact watch I was looking for in their usual untouched condition. Was all quite suspect. Read several scathing reviews on various sites as well. Decided to stay well clear!