closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Datejust 2 or Aqua Terra 41.5mm, I chose the AT

Banned

Datejust 2 or Aqua Terra 41.5mm, I chose the AT

Now this is not a post about Rolex V Omega, it's about the decision I made based on what I was looking for in a watch this time round.

Both watches are very nice, but on this occasion the AT had more pluses imo.

I had been thinking about adding either a DJ2 or AT to my small collection for some time now, but I finally made the move and I feel it was the right choice.
    This particular watch has rose gold hands and marker and is only available on the dark brown croc strap, but it turns out that my AD had just sold a AT with the RG bezel on the steel bracelet, but the customer wanted the bracelet with the RG centre links, so this turned to my advantage as I managed to get both the strap and the bracelet today.

Here's the watch, I've used a web pic to show the watch on the strap as it's staying on the bracelet for now, also please give me your comments good or bad on the watch and leave any brand bashing to another day.

Last edited by Captainhowdy; 9th July 2013 at 14:37.

Master
    Blog Entries
    AT for me but in 38.5mm.

No bad comments from me. I think that's a really nice piece. The size looks ok too.

Blog Entries
    Very nice...you did well getting both the bracelet and the strap. Not normally a fan of gold on watches but having tried this one I think it is a great combo..

Master
    To use a cliché "Sweeeeet" - many congratulations - looks good and suits you. A result getting strap and bracelet.

Glad you haven't gone for a DJ2 - I have one on it's way to me (despite my decluttering agenda - doh!) and I wouldn't want too many people having the same watch.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    AT for me but in 38.5mm.
    Likewise.

Rolex is doing its best to airbrush 60 years of history by re-marketing the 36mm DJ as a girls' watch with all diamonds on it, but I saw one the other day, one with the 1950s sort of dartboard-style dial, and it looks perfectly in keeping with the size of the wearer, an averagely tall bloke. I think the 41mm has a bezel that's too wide, and looks like there should be a rotating bezel in its place.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Likewise.

Rolex is doing its best to airbrush 60 years of history by re-marketing the 36mm DJ as a girls' watch with all diamonds on it, but I saw one the other day, one with the 1950s sort of dartboard-style dial, and it looks perfectly in keeping with the size of the wearer, an averagely tall bloke. I think the 41mm has a bezel that's too wide, and looks like there should be a rotating bezel in its place.
    They do this model in the 38.5mm size and it would work just as well as this, but tbh, it looks and feels fine for both size and weight so I guess that's all that matters.

Banned
    I'm loving that "Terrible Vote" at least grow a pair and post on the thread.

Craftsman
    I think it looks great on the bracelet

I love the datejust watch its quite possibly my favourite Rolex watch for size fit etc.... That being said I like the one on the jubilee bracelet. I am assuming the DJ2 is a larger model like the Explorer 2 which at 41mm for me is a terrible move by Rolex and turned my attention towards the smaller air king. I did read that the AT is also in a 39mm option and it really is a beautiful watch.

Both are superb and those pictures are fantastic. Personally if I had to choose between the datejust or the AT I would go with the Rolex but would much rather have both!

Grand Master
    Really like the gold hands/batons on this, a style that was common in the 50s and always looks good to me. Much prefer this watch on the bracelet.

For me the choice would've been 36mm Datejust 116200 (smooth bezel, Oyster bracelet) or 38.5mm Aqua Terra. Not sure which would win; my heart says pay more and get the Rolex but my head says haggle for a good discount and buy the AT!

I`ve owned a couple of old model ATs and a 116200 Datejust. Don`t really miss the Datejust but I regret selling the steel AT I owned.

Paul

Looks better than most new AT's with those gold markers - but I do much prefer the older dials and only the 8500 movement marks these out as a better watch for me.

I haven't tried the DJII yet - but there is perhaps a small chance I will sell my older 38.5mm 2500 AT and 36mm DJ to do just that. The only AT with Teak dial I would ever consider ( and did and missed out on by around 5 mins) was an annual calender at approx. 50% off :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Looks better than most new AT's with those gold markers - but I do much prefer the older dials and only the 8500 movement marks these out as a better watch for me.

I haven't tried the DJII yet - but there is perhaps a small chance I will sell my older 38.5mm 2500 AT and 36mm DJ to do just that. The only AT with Teak dial I would ever consider ( and did and missed out on by around 5 mins) was an annual calender at approx. 50% off :(

I too am more a fan of the older dial. That said, the AT is still the better choice - no Cyclops!

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I too am more a fan of the older dial. That said, the AT is still the better choice - no Cyclops!
    I like the cyclops on the right watch - plus my ageing eyes will probably like the cyclops even more in coming years ;)

This gold markers AT and the older blued one have a got a very different look to them and stand out very well - much better than the standard dials.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I like the cyclops on the right watch - plus my ageing eyes will probably like the cyclops even more in coming years ;)

This gold markers AT and the older blued one have a got a very different look to them and stand out very well - much better than the standard dials.
    Your right about the rose gold markers, they really do stand out from the dial.

Craftsman
    I like it on the leather strap.

And I hate Datejusts so you've picked a winner as far as I'm concerned.

Journeyman
    Very nice watch, if you enjoy yours half as much as I am enjoying mine http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...r-it-incoming! you'll be a very happy chappy :)

That looks great, I really like the Aqua Terra I think it looks fantastic. I have looked at the new explorer 2 and the ceramic ND sub, but they did not do it for me sadly, I think a AT might be the one.

I went in to my local AD on Sunday and they had a couple of quartz AT's in their pre -owned section and in the new section the one I have been hunting for the so called Blue dial "Skyfall" AT with the 8500 movement in 38.5mm, it was great but I was concerned about the size.

It wears like a bigger watch than it is but is smaller than my sinn 556.

I wanted to try the larger version but they did not have one in 41.5mm. I did try the new AT GMT that had a blue ( but to busy for me ) dial to gauge the larger size. Still not sure which size version I would be happy with on my wrist long term. So going to have a long think about it while I save up. ;)

I wear big watches and small watches on my big wrist, if feels right I will wear it but this time I am not sure which version to get, the wife says the 38.5 mm so she can have it.

The AT is a fantastic watch and extremely versatile. I am really starting to miss the one I sold.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deploderer View Post
    Very nice watch, if you enjoy yours half as much as I am enjoying mine http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...r-it-incoming! you'll be a very happy chappy :)

I did see it and your watch looks fantastic, the size is also good and I would have been happy with either size tbh.