closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Calling all Sinn 656 owners

Calling all Sinn 656 owners

Having had a wee pm conversation with Magirus today with regards his Sinn 656 I thought I'd open it up to the rest of you. i know how much you guys like posting up pics, so here's your opportunity.

Please could you post any pics you have of your 656 so I can see the various strap/bracelet combos. I've almost decided to get a 656 (black face - is that the only colour they come in?) but am undecided as to whether to order additional strap(s).

Any feedback wrt the watch would also be gratefully received.

I hope the black face will compliment my recently purchased ivory Speedbird II.

Cheers all

Pete

My 656 on bracelet:

Don't have any other pictures, unfortunately, I should remedy that!

Had my 656 a couple of years, it's a classic in the making, frankly. Great watch, so far it's probably the last watch that would go out of the door if I had to sell up.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Pete, c'mon, it's BLACK, the hands are stark white, it does what it says on the tin, WHADYAWANT? :wink:

F.T.F.A.

I want the moon on a stick!!!

I want it all to be perfect, as I've never had a black faced watch before. This is by far the best I've seen for the money. Does anyone have any alternatives to the Sinn?

Pete,

here are some pics of mine on black aviator strap and light tan, with some comparison shots with a modded Speedbird II (Yao dial and hands). I liked the SBII a lot, but it was too similar to 656, and not as good, so it had to go. I would say that IMHO 656 represents the point where a watch gets as good as it needs to be - you can get watches that do more, but generally you pay a lot more, and if you pay less you get less watch, and what a 656 does it does so very well. That's obviously based in part on my unwillingness/inability to pay for an IWC XV. :wink: All the same, whenever I look at an expensive watch I ask myself what it's going to do that the 656 can't, and generally the answer is very little. That said, the 656 to me is on the borderline of being overstated, and I wouldn't call it elegant - pure yes, uncompromised yes, elegant no.

Kamraj

Kamraj,

Thanks for the reply - that's exactly what I wanted to hear! I like the look of the tan strap, a very nice combo.

Pete

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1
    I want the moon on a stick!!!

I want it all to be perfect, as I've never had a black faced watch before. This is by far the best I've seen for the money. Does anyone have any alternatives to the Sinn?
    I've never seen one in the flesh, but the Bell & Ross BR01 and BR03 models have a very similar face. The BR01 is a whopping 46mm and the BR03 a more reasonable 42mm, although a lot more expensive than the Sinn at around GBP1500.

I've had a 656, and I loved it! Striking design, nicely manufactured. For the price, unbeatable. I had mine on leather, but I hear that the Sinn bracelet is excellent too. I 'upgraded' to a 7750 powered Oris chrono - but with hindsight, the 656 was a lot slicker.

If you buy it and don't like it, drop me a line, I'll have it off yer!

Cheers,

Simon.

PS: I also got engaged wearing my 656, so it holds a special place in my heart :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by gladders
    ............ The BR01 is a whopping 46mm and the BR03 a more reasonable 42mm,

Simon.

The BR03: http://tinyurl.com/25fqox

I didn?t realise the BR03 was 42mm which is of course much more reasonable than the original 46mm. I saw one of the 46mm on a gent but it didn?t look right. I know in terms of authenticity the B&R are far closer to the original airplane board clocks but (on the wrist) the shape doesn?t work. It is closer to a lady?s fashion watch than to agent?s wrist instrument.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman

Sinn 656

You cant go wrong with a 656,

Or a 1903....or a PRS 1....or a DA37

Hmmmm I dont think I'm helping much am I :lol:

Sinn SS Bracelet is excellent though.

I have been trying to resist a 656 for ages. This isn't helping... :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    It is closer to a lady?s fashion watch than to agent?s wrist instrument.
    It's definately one to be tried on rather than ordering unseen, and although I haven't looked, it's probably got the same movement as the Sinn.

So, for the price, you could get the 656 and a second hand Omega Speedmaster or Breitling B1, or any of a hundred other proper aviation style watches.

All this 656 talk...

...need to keep my Visa card away from Chronomaster!

simon.

All this talk of Sinn. Are we sure that Neil doesn't have an alias here!! :lol:

I can't make up my mind between this one or the all black version!

I know in terms of authenticity the B&R are far closer to the original airplane board clocks but (on the wrist) the shape doesn?t work.
    Just in terms of the case shape you mean? They're still just ETA movements and I don't think they're even antimagnetic like the Sinn!

Quote Originally Posted by cornflakes
    I know in terms of authenticity the B&R are far closer to the original airplane board clocks but (on the wrist) the shape doesn?t work.
    Just in terms of the case shape you mean? They're still just ETA movements and I don't think they're even antimagnetic like the Sinn!

Yes. Square case with round dial. I think the original square case was a standard fitting on the navigation panels.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

There are conflicting opinions as to the source of the bezel ... some site the
    Weems while others point to this early Junghans (NaBo). I love the shape of
    the hour hand, I think that shape will soon enjoy a comeback.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK