closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch worth more than your car?

Watch worth more than your car?

Prompted by a long chat with a mechanic who had an old 320i as his car, but a drawer full of watches more expensive I'd like to see who else has a watch worth more than their car? Pics of both please.

What is this , 'Hello' magazine?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Well I'd post some pics myself, but none of my watches are worth more than £500!

My car: VW Up!

My watch: PP Aquanaut

I'd never spend more on a car than what I think is necessary. With watches it's a bit different!

2004 320i and

and

Can't be too bothered about cars. Unless they are aircooled and have a Porsche logo :-)

Even my 8th most valuable watch is worth more than my car!

Crap car or great watches?

Well, I just traded in my old Toyota Picnic for £300, so I reckon that my CWC is worth about £5 more!

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Crap car or great watches?
    Both / neither / I'm not sure - all depends on your frame of reference.
    10 year old low mileage v6 Mondeo with all the gizmos
    Selection of generally average divers - Sub date, Seawolf, SMP chrono & GMT, Damasko DC67, Sinn U1, MM300, Orient Star 300m etc...
    Works for me.
    Generally walk to work, do less than 150 miles a month, but wear a different watch most days and look at whichever I'm wearing many times a day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    What is this , 'Hello' magazine?
    Ha Ha now that made me smile

Craftsman
    I work with a guy who has around £10,000 worth of watches and he drives a 1994 corsa.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Yes and no.

Monaco

Worth more than this

But worth less than this

But to replace my whole collection would cost more than both of them put together!

Quite a few expensive watches (Lange and Patek among them). No car at all.

I can drive (and rent through Zipcar occasionally). I could afford to buy a car. But the expense and hassle of owning something that I'd only use maybe once a fortnight just doesn't seem worth it. If I didn't live in London it would probably be a different story.

Not here. No watch more expensive than my cars. I'd love to rectify that, but that could be trouble.

No pics - but my watches are far more valuable in total than my cars or motorbikes - and my most expensive watches are singularly worth more than any single vehicle.

I have preferred to spend money on watches in the past - it's just a preference.

I do like the idea of a VW UP and a Patek though :)

Maybe I could do a Sports Rolex and a Sports VW UP GT later in the year ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

I drive about once every two weeks here in Norway, so cars are a very low spending priority. Having extreme engine taxes and the world's most expensive petrol also help make it less of a car-centred culture. I see cars as a time and money pit, but watches are much less of a maintenance and storage commitment; it's easier to justify spending cash on a decent watch, especially since they tend to depreciate less (or not at all).

I do have a weakness for motorcycles, though...

This

Plus this

Probably now equals this

Me - 12 year old Peugeot 206 with 120k miles (must be worth about £600 at best), each of the watches I own is worth more than the car.

I would like a better car and could afford one, but have found driving a banger quite liberating. I never feel inclined to wash or polish it, never worry about alloys corroding, never worry about where I park in the supermarket. As long as it is reasonably reliable, I'm happy. There are people at work paying monthly payments more than the value of my car each month for theirs!

Blog Entries
    This...

...and this...

... are worth about the same.

Menno

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Watch worth more than my car ?

No, but my pushbike probably is...

Grand Master
    Cars are just metal coffins that depreciate whereas the right watch will hold its value and get better every year not worse
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Cars are just metal coffins that depreciate whereas the right watch will hold its value and get better every year not worse
    You are missing the enjoyment factor Kerry - this has to be a consideration (one is a long time dead)........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You are missing the enjoyment factor Kerry - this has to be a consideration (one is a long time dead)........
    I do enjoy em but I can enjoy a 5 year old BMW just as much as a brand new one and be £20k richer!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I do enjoy em but I can enjoy a 5 year old BMW just as much as a brand new one and be £20k richer!
    I'm with you on this. Cars are generally a depreciating asset so buy 2ndhand with 1 exception.
    Last edited by Caruso; 28th June 2013 at 21:10.

Master
    I know a car is supposed to be the 2nd biggest purchase you make after a house, but until my recent purchase of a used BMW 330d cars had been well down my list, behind the engagement ring for my now wife (8k) my best watch (Rolex subc), and my titanium mountain bike. Living in London meant having any car was a 'luxury'. The imminent arrival of stuie-t junior means a change in priority though so a reliable means of transportation for the family has moved up the pecking order

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Well I'd post some pics myself, but none of my watches are worth more than £500!
    Me neither!

I don't know about worth, but I've certainly spent more buying watches than I have cars.

I don't own a car so technically yes.

My daily run about is a 125 scooter and I have a Harley that gets used occasionally.

I do 60k miles a year, if my car was worth more than my watch I'd be a vegetable. I can start start a thread 'is your watch worth more than the contents of your boot' but I still fail as my golf clubs are in it.

I've got these -

and this -

Although may be selling the lot to help fund a house purchase!

Banned
    I have spent more on watches (individually!) than people at work or family have spent on cars (and they think im mental for it) but not more than my car as I drive this....

Although I too might be moving soon im thinking its time to move the expensive motor on....

Master
    My watches collectively are probably worth about 30-35% of my car, although given the chance I would spend more on watches...and cars

Watches worth more than my car, not really fussed about cars.

Don't have a car. Watches are worth slightly more than my scooter. Similar principle, just on a smaller scale.

Journeyman

Confrontational...

Darn... never thought about it this way! My watch collection is in the signature... my car is an old Saab 93 station wagon... a diesel. Guess I'm more a watch lover than a petrol head ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Me - 12 year old Peugeot 206 with 120k miles (must be worth about £600 at best), each of the watches I own is worth more than the car.

I would like a better car and could afford one, but have found driving a banger quite liberating. I never feel inclined to wash or polish it, never worry about alloys corroding, never worry about where I park in the supermarket. As long as it is reasonably reliable, I'm happy. There are people at work paying monthly payments more than the value of my car each month for theirs!
    Fully with you on this as i used to buy £20000 cars and worry about all the above but now have a 12 year old Toyota Yaris and don't give a damm about it.Wife has a nice car but realized a long time ago they are a complete waste of money.