closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sea Dweller or Dornblüth 99.3

Craftsman

Sea Dweller or Dornblüth 99.3

Interested in opinions here. I'm likely to come into a little bit of money in the next few months - enough to finance a new watch. I fancied something that was totally different from my Navitimer so was thinking Navitimer = Pilot's watch, therefore I should get a Diver's watch. I do like the Rolex divers (although I suspect my wrists are too puny for a DSSD and I don't want a watch so big it won't go under a cuff) so, after some umming and aahing, decided that a late Sea Dweller would be the best thing.

Then I started looking at Dornblüths - particularly the 99.3 which is so beautiful (in my eyes) that it makes my heart melt. But you can't just waltz into your local AD and try one on - looks like I'd have to go to Amsterdam at least! That's mildly worrying, as is the fact that I don't know whether it's robust enough to be an everyday watch (sharing time with the Navi) or whether it's more of a dress watch.

So, what to do. Low Risk Sea Dweller, or Higher Risk Dornblüth?

Opinions please :)

Dornbluth 99.3, just because its drop dead gorgeous!

Well I own a DB 99.1, a SD and a DSSD so here goes ...

Is a DB an "everyday" watch : Yes, but remember it's not a sports watch so I wouldn't be going scuba diving in one even if slipped onto the DB metal bracelet rather than a croc strap!
    Is the DSSD too big : you might be surprised when you try one on, yes they're large but once the bracelet is adjusted they're surprisingly wearable as an everyday watch and even to the office.
    SD or DSSD : Personally I think the DSSD is the better watch in terms of both build quality and looks, but temper that by the fact it costs a heck of a lot more and it is a lot bigger on the wrist.
    SD or DB : DB every time but that's a personal choice to me based on what I like and what I want out of a watch.
    DSSD or DB : Tougher choice but the DB edges it for me.

One thing you get with the DB that you won't get with most other watches is the whole ordering, customisation, anticipation, dealing with Dirk and Dieter and of course the exclusivity - quite a few of us on the forum own DBs but generally speaking they're pretty rare watches unlike the mainstream manufacturers like Rolex.

The big downside with DB is not being able to see them before you commit to ordering unless you visit DB or Amsterdam, that said, depending on where you're based you might be able to hook up with a DB owner on here and see one - even if it's not a 99.3 it'll give you a good flavour of what Dirk and Dieter are producing.
    Last edited by Mr Stoat; 22nd June 2013 at 19:20.

Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    Then I started looking at Dornblüths - particularly the 99.3 which is so beautiful (in my eyes) that it makes my heart melt. But you can't just waltz into your local AD and try one on - looks like I'd have to go to Amsterdam at least! That's mildly worrying, as is the fact that I don't know whether it's robust enough to be an everyday watch (sharing time with the Navi) or whether it's more of a dress watch.
    Having been to Amsterdam and tried all versions I can not recommend it enough. I'd also say it's a very robust dress watch ;) so you can enjoy it daily without any hesitation. I felt it was very substantially constructed, similar to my Sinn 6100 in that respect.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    Well I own a DB 99.1, a SD and a DSSD so here goes ...

Is a DB an "everyday" watch : Yes, but remember it's not a sports watch so I wouldn't be going scuba diving in one even if slipped onto the DB metal bracelet rather than a croc strap!
    Is the DSSD too big : you might be surprised when you try one on, yes they're large but once the bracelet is adjusted they're surprisingly wearable as an everyday watch and even to the office.
    SD or DSSD : Personally I think the DSSD is the better watch in terms of both build quality and looks, but temper that by the fact it costs a heck of a lot more and it is a lot bigger on the wrist.
    SD or DB : DB every time but that's a personal choice to me based on what I like and what I want out of a watch.
    DSSD or DB : Tougher choice but the DB edges it for me.

One thing you get with the DB that you won't get with most other watches is the whole ordering, customisation, anticipation, dealing with Dirk and Dieter and of course the exclusivity - quite a few of us on the forum own DBs but generally speaking they're pretty rare watches unlike the mainstream manufacturers like Rolex.

The big downside with DB is not being able to see them before you commit to ordering unless you visit DB or Amsterdam, that said, depending on where you're based you might be able to hook up with a DB owner on here and see one - even if it's not a 99.3 it'll give you a good flavour of what Dirk and Dieter are producing.
    This is really interesting, thank you. I have to keep the Navitimer dry so that's not a problem. I like the idea of a waterproof watch that I could swim in, but I'm not welded to that idea. I guess I need to try them all on, but I do feel my enthusiasm for the Rolexes waning slightly. I might have to check out day trips to Amsterdam, unless there are any DB owners near Tunbridge Wells?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jnike View Post
    Having been to Amsterdam and tried all versions I can not recommend it enough. I'd also say it's a very robust dress watch ;) so you can enjoy it daily without any hesitation. I felt it was very substantially constructed, similar to my Sinn 6100 in that respect.
    I guess the dealer in Amsterdam speaks reasonable English? My Dutch is non-existent!

I guess the dealer in Amsterdam speaks reasonable English? My Dutch is non-existent!
    Most places I travel nowadays the level of English is more than reasonable ;) and AWCO was no exception. If you go I suggest took an appointment, while its not necessary it helps.

Craftsman

Yes, perfect. Probably better than my English!!

Id certainly recommend a visit. Great boutique with some lovely stuff.

I haven't bought a Dornbluth......yet. I'm hoping my good lady might take the hints and for my 50th in two years I might be lucky enough to get Dirk's regulator..

For me this is not a 'like for like' comparison - very different watches.

If both is not an option then I would decide if it was a dress watch (DB) or a more focused watch (SD).

Big difference in size and wrist presence - the DB can also be customised.

Tough choice........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tough choice. I own a SD and can thoroughly recommend it. I don't know what DB values are like but with a SD, you could pick up a decent one, keep it a while then sell it at no great loss. Maybe do that and if you think you've made the wrong choice, get rid and buy the DB?

No contest . It's a bit like saying would you rather spend the rest of your life with a Ford Focus and Lisa Tarbuck , or a Bristol 411 and Audrey Hepburn .

DB. You can buy a SD whenever.

If you have a mortgage or anything on debt cards, pay that/them off.

Otherwise, the way you described the Dornbluth making your heart melt says it all.

But remember- if you get bored, the SD will sell all day long & they are increasing in value.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Chris that it is simply not a like for like comparison...

Both watches are fantastic in their right, but for entirely different reasons. They are different in aesthetics, in suitability for wear, in size, in specification - and in factors that are more important to some than others such as residual value, appreciation/depreciation.

If that is important to you then the SD is the only choice. I had a Seadweller and loved it:

But it didn't stick. I recently bought a Dornbluth 99.1 - adore it and spent another fortune on straps! But I bought used and saved a significant amount over a new one. Especially with any personal engraving there will be big hit if you decide yo want to sell on.

If its a keeper, no probs of course. Would I trade in my Dornbluth now toward another Seadweller? Not on your nelly! Would I trade in my Dornbluth toward a Dornbluth, new from Dirk with the whole customising and anticipation experience? I so would!

I've exchanged emails with Dirk about a couple of things, (retrofitting the QA amongst others) and his customer service reputation is totally justified.

The 99.3 is a great looking watch, as far as I know has the same case as my 99.1 - my wrist is now around 7" (down from 7.75"!) and I wouldn't want the Dornbluth any larger... If you're ever near Bristol Airport let me know, I'd be happy to let you try mine for size etc...

The Dornbluth is pefectly suited for daily use in the office or out with friends- I have others for more 'risky' activities!

Best of luck - whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be happy with...

Rob

Master
    Not sure what it is exactly, but the Dornblueths don't appeal to me aesthetically. They always look quite thick in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by gusmac View Post
    Yes, perfect. Probably better than my English!!

Id certainly recommend a visit. Great boutique with some lovely stuff.
    I've never owned a Rolex, so can't comment on that, but I do own a blue dialed 99.2 and it's totally gorgeous. Had a couple of teething troubles with mine, but Dirk is a pleasure to deal with. Considering the work and effort difference i.e. Dornbluth making 300 watches a year by hand with great care and Rolex making 800 000 watches a year... with great care on their production line...
    They have just started making their own movements from scratch too
    http://www.dornblueth.com/flash.php?...movement_20101

If you do pay a visit to AWCO, ask for Bram, he's a top man and will be more than happy to guide you through the DD experience.
    Tell him a friend from The Hague says hello!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    Considering the work and effort difference i.e. Dornbluth making 300 watches a year by hand with great care and Rolex making 800 000 watches a year... with great care on their production line...
    I have to confess this is a draw, but also a worry. On the one hand the DB is a hand made, exquisite piece of horology, but on the other, the Rolex has a dealer network and might be easier to get serviced. Going back to the car analogy from earlier, it's Porsche versus Spyker.

in terms of resale etc I'm less worried. Whichever watch I get ought to be a keeper - I bought the Navitimer new because I really wanted a Navitimer with the B01 movement and I am happy to live with the depreciation because I love it. I would like another watch to love and enjoy wearing.

I think what I'm hearing is that they're all great watches in different ways, and I shouldn't really decide until I've tried the Sea Dweller, the DeepSea and a Dornbluth on my wrist - even if I have to go to Amsterdam. Better check the airline schedules!

What a happy dilemma...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    I agree with Chris that it is simply not a like for like comparison...

Both watches are fantastic in their right, but for entirely different reasons.

I recently bought a Dornbluth 99.1 - adore it and spent another fortune on straps! But I bought used and saved a significant amount over a new one. Especially with any personal engraving there will be big hit if you decide yo want to sell on.

If its a keeper, no probs of course. Would I trade in my Dornbluth now toward another Seadweller? Not on your nelly! Would I trade in my Dornbluth toward a Dornbluth, new from Dirk with the whole customising and anticipation experience? I so would!

The 99.3 is a great looking watch, as far as I know has the same case as my 99.1 - my wrist is now around 7" (down from 7.75"!) and I wouldn't want the Dornbluth any larger... If you're ever near Bristol Airport let me know, I'd be happy to let you try mine for size etc...

The Dornbluth is pefectly suited for daily use in the office or out with friends- I have others for more 'risky' activities!

Best of luck - whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be happy with...

Rob
    Thanks Rob, really useful info.

Master
    But you can't just waltz into your local AD and try one on - looks like I'd have to go to Amsterdam at least...
    You thinking what I'm thinking, old chap?

http://www.nieuwekerk.nl/nl/#/nl/dnk...g.htm?m=130718

Master
    The 99.4 (5) is stunning and def worth a look. Similarities to IWC dials but far prettier in my mind.

http://www.dornblueth.com/flash.php?...fcal_994&ss=07

You have asked which watch out of a SD or the Dornblüth, personally I prefer the look and versatility of the SD which looks great in all situations, everyone is talking about the virtues of its residual values which are great of course but that's not really what you were asking, I still think the SD is a better choice all round.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    You thinking what I'm thinking, old chap?

http://www.nieuwekerk.nl/nl/#/nl/dnk...g.htm?m=130718

Are you coming then? I was rather hoping you would. Queasyjet day trip from Gatwick....

Can't stand cut out numerals - the 99.0 and 99.1 are nice enough - I think I'd prefer the centre seconds,a s it is more versatile for me - but as a SD worshipper, there is no other choice for me my all time favourite watch is a 16600 SD.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Thank you all. I will let you know how I get on!

I had the 99.1 not too long ago. Beautiful watch. It does wear quite big so if you got small wrists then I would advise you to try one on before buying.

Journeyman

Why not a Speake-Marin?

^ Because it looks like it was made for Willy Wonka
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Muahahaha, you made my day!

Journeyman
    I assume you don't like the looks of the PSM...

No contest . It's a bit like saying would you rather spend the rest of your life with a Ford Focus and Lisa Tarbuck , or a Bristol 411 and Audrey Hepburn .
    While I'll grant that the Dornblüth is a tad on the plain and bulky side, the comparison's a bit harsh, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    While I'll grant that the Dornblüth is a tad on the plain and bulky side, the comparison's a bit harsh, no?

You're right it is harsh. I actually quite like Lisa Tarbuck.

Craftsman
    I agree - the Speake-Marin is a bit too 'Alice in Wonderland meets Willy Wonka' for me.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=henrik;2772328]I had the 99.1 not too long ago. Beautiful watch. It does wear quite big so if you got small wrists then I would advise you to try one on before buying.

Thanks - from what I can see it's slightly smaller in both width and height than the Navitimer, so I'm hoping my puny wrists could carry it off. Had an email from Dirk this morning saying he's posted me a catalogue so I'll enjoy looking at that.

You're right it is harsh. I actually quite like Lisa Tarbuck.
    Well, one pairing are good honest fun, whilst the other are both dead and were past their prime well before that, so...

I'm not sure how this relates to those two watches, though...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Well I am in Amsterdam at the moment and I popped into AWCo. Wow!

A real aladdin's cave of beautiful watches both new and vintage and the service was top notch. I wanted to look at the Dornbluths and they had a Nice collection of differing models. I prefer the white dials over the black but the applied numerals and the workmanship is excellent.

Bram, who was great and spoke prefect English compared to my non-existent Dutch, took me through the numerous features over a coffee. He brought out a number of dials to look at so even if they don't have the exact model you are after you can get a good idea from the numerous dials and watches. The watches wore a little smaller than my Bremont solo I had on and looked good on my wrist, very classy.

Needless to say, I have placed an order for a 99.4 with blue applied arabic numerals on a dark blue alligator with a free deployant clasp. I am a very happy boy and will be even happier in 10 months

They will also post via Fed Ex free of charge but might use it as an excuse to visit this great city again!

Pic stolen from the Internet! Apologies! Let me know and I will remove if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

A real aladdin's cave of beautiful watches both new and vintage and the service was top notch. I wanted to look at the Dornbluths and they had a Nice collection of differing models. I prefer the white dials over the black but the applied numerals and the workmanship is excellent.

Bram, who was great and spoke prefect English compared to my non-existent Dutch, took me through the numerous features over a coffee. He brought out a number of dials to look at so even if they don't have the exact model you are after you can get a good idea from the numerous dials and watches. The watches wore a little smaller than my Bremont solo I had on and looked good on my wrist, very classy.

Needless to say, I have placed an order for a 99.4 with blue applied arabic numerals on a dark blue alligator with a free deployant clasp. I am a very happy boy and will be even happier in 10 months

They will also post via Fed Ex free of charge but might use it as an excuse to visit this great city again!

Pic stolen from the Internet! Apologies! Let me know and I will remove if necessary
    Excellent choice - my 99.1 is on a dark blue croc now and it matches the hands / appliques perfectly!!
    10 months is a long wait .. but it's worth it

Craftsman
    Sounds fantastic, I hope you really enjoy it. I went to look at some Rolexes yesterday and fell head over heels for a Sea Dweller. So much so that it came home with me!

Sounds fantastic, I hope you really enjoy it. I went to look at some Rolexes yesterday and fell head over heels for a Sea Dweller. So much so that it came home with me!
    PICTURES!!!

Craftsman
    I will, just need to think of the best way to photograph them without disgracing myself for shoddy pictures. Here is the SD though, pictured on the train home yesterday. uploadfromtaptalk1372876860162.jpg

I will, just need to think of the best way to photograph them without disgracing myself for shoddy pictures. Here is the SD though, pictured on the train home yesterday. uploadfromtaptalk1372876860162.jpg
    Yep That is the business. My favorite rolex apart from the explorer 1.
    Has been on my wish list for a while.......Enjoy!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnthemull View Post
    Yep That is the business. My favorite rolex apart from the explorer 1.
    Has been on my wish list for a while.......Enjoy!
    Thanks. I'm not sure they're the most photogenic of watches, simply because they look SO much better in the flesh! I really love it. Explorer 1 is pretty cool too :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Tough choice. I own a SD and can thoroughly recommend it. I don't know what DB values are like but with a SD, you could pick up a decent one, keep it a while then sell it at no great loss. Maybe do that and if you think you've made the wrong choice, get rid and buy the DB?
    That's good advice, give an SD a go, if its not for you it can be moved on

For resale purposes I would go for an SD but if money was no object I think I would go for a Dornbluth.

Great to hear that you've taken the plunge. Also that you dealt with Bram, he's a top fella.
    Enjoy the wait and the eventual delivery of your new baby! :)

Craftsman

Signing off

Just to say thank you to everyone for such great advice. In the end I don't think I could have stood the wait for a Dornblüth and life is pretty hectic at the moment so finding time for a day trip to Amsterdam would have been a struggle! So, what happened (in detail) was this....

On Tuesday I took a day off work to celebrate my birthday and we went to London. Couldn't help indulging in a little of what my wife calls 'Watch Porn', so we started off at Wempe on New Bond Street. A slightly nervous looking woman eventually agreed to show me a Nomos Ludwig (another utterly beautiful watch from what I could see on the website, plus it has an in house movement and display back). Unfortunately in the flesh it didn't do it for me. The face was more silver than white, and the blueing of the hands was barely perceptible. I asked about a non-Date Submariner, but she got even more nervous and (after speaking to her manager) told me they didn't have one and started the spiel about Rolex allocations, offering to let us know when they did get one. We politely declined and left. Still not sure why she needed to talk to the manager if they didn't have one. I was properly dressed and everything!

Next stop was Watch Club. I knew they had both a DSSD and a couple of Sea Dwellers so it seemed a sensible place to go to try them on. DSSD was a beast - comically huge on my wrist, and would never have gone under a cuff. The Sea Dweller on the other hand..... was so much better in the flesh than any picture can do justice to, in my opinion. I knew as soon as I put it on that a Sea Dweller was "the one". However, I wasn't actually planning to buy a watch, so we made our excuses and left.

Much humming and hawing. My mother (who was also with us) suggested that it would save another trip to London if I bought it then and there, and the lady in Watch Club had indicated that there was a bit of wriggle room on the price. So, we went back.

Disaster! In the 10 minutes we'd been out of the shop the one I'd been looking at had been snapped up by an online buyer. I looked at an earlier one from 2001, but it didn't have the bracelet tool, which I knew should be there. Then they brought up one that wasn't on the site yet, as it was waiting to be photographed. 2006, with all the bits and a full Rolex overhaul in 2010. Job done.

Here it is having a little swim in the fish tank at home. As you can see the photography experiment didn't really come off, but I can at least say my Sea Dweller has been under water!

Thanks again.

Master

Congrats! Stunning dial and worth the wait.....but it will be a long one but worth it.

Contrats and the right choice in my book, but and it's a small but.

The 16600 is a great watch, however a 1665 is just so much better.

Just choice, just wrong model - I my humble opinion of course - which counts for nothing.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Great choice. I hope you'll keep it.