closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Venice - What to do and where to go?

Master

Venice - What to do and where to go?

All,

Off to Venice on Friday for a long weekend.

Opera is booked but any other things to do and tips/tricks most welcome as I've never been there before.

Thanks.

Master
    Absolutely beautiful city and like no other place I've been to. The lack of traffic noise is strange at first but you don't miss it. The best advice I could give is just walk down side streets and off the main thoroughfares. There are gorgeous bridges and buildings everywhere.
    If you're going to the Opera, then the restaurant outside (Antico Martini) was very good. Enjoy the weekend, I'm jealous.

^ This, basically^

It's a beautiful and constantly amazing city with treasures around every corner. Walking is the best way to get around and getting lost (as you will) helps you find things you weren't expecting.

I'd tend to avoid the punts which are comedy expensive but hopping around on the water buses is worth doing.

The Basilica of San Marco is a must see obviously. You won't go far wrong if you take a look at this link:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/venice/things-to-do

Master
    Just getting out and about walking is great, and cheap.

Visit the churches and museums along the way on each island! Good stuff!

Vaparettos are good fun to get about on. Gondola rides are relaxing but expensive, very expensive.

Venice for me is:
    walking around
    getting lost
    taking photos (it is one of the most photogenic cities)
    coffee
    Ombrete's (Venicians favourite tipple of red/white wine)
    cafes/bars (we rarely eat in the restaurants)
    church interiors
    morning markets

As a nice experience take your own water taxi from the airport to the city, if you tell the driver what hotel you're staying at there's a good chance you'll be dropped off very close to it - even at the door.

Don't forget your camera.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The USP of Venice, is just Venice itself. It's fantastic just walking around virtually any part of the central island. There's dozens of bridges and piazzas, and although getting lost is part of the charm, you can normally follow signs to San Marco and the Rialto, and get your bearings accordingly. Similarly, talking one of the main waterbuses to Lido and back gives you great views of the city from the canal. It's a great place IMO - but very expensive if you want to do the touristy things like having a coffee in St Mark's Square and taking a gondola - but they have to be done!

Advising people on what to see is almost as difficult as advising people what to buy. I found Venice to be surprisingly interesting, and worthy of a much longer visit than the three-four days we had originally planned. The outer island of Torcello, for example, was a wonderful opportunity to escape the off-season crowds; while a walking tour of the Ghetto seemed to provide a glimpse into the past. The Peggy Guggenheim is outstanding, and the Ca d'Oro was a bit of a (not so) hidden gem. My favourite place in Venice is just behind the Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo - a partial view of the amazing "snail staircase". But then again, it's hard not to be moved by so many views in Venice, especially after a Spritz or two in the warm sun...

Depending on your time, a trip over to Murano island is worthwhile as well

Loved Venice. Went in 2010 (took the mrs for her 40th) and stayed 5 nights. It was Carnivale while we were there and the city was fantastic. Avoid the touristy rip offs and find lovely shops, bars and restaurants just a few mins from the main drag

As an aside, I have a friend who hated the place. Said it was falling to pieces and nobody had bothered fixing it up. I suggested the Venetian in Las Vegas may be more to his liking.

Agree with others that water taxi is the best way to arrive, if not the cheapest, and the best experience is to be had by just walking around. St Marks square is probably one of the less interesting features, and best avoided if only because of the crowds. Great place if you're into photography.

Definitley go on a gondola, for restaurants would recomend the Ristorante Antico Pignolo - can arrive by Gondola (or foot) and is terrific - http://www.anticopignolo.com Make sure you order a negroni at a bar, visit Caffè Florian and even have a drink there just but don't sit down at the seats in front of the orchestra as your bill will be high. If you have time for a day trip can recommend Burano - is similar to Murano but better value - still sells all the glass & is very nice in its own way but lacks the workshops & crowds of Murano.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    visit Caffè Florian and even have a drink there just but don't sit down at the seats in front of the orchestra as your bill will be high.
    Around 40 euros for two coffees and for some cake. ;)