Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Very true.

How about a nice vintage Airking?

Daddel.
    With a 1 to 2 K budget, it would be the AirKing all day long

Apprentice
    Another female WIS here.. are you sure 34mm would be too big for you? 34mm feels perfect for me, and I'm a petite little Chinese lady with 5" chopstick wrists...

Here's some suggestions (all automatic):

Check out the 34mm Marcello C Lady Nettuno:

Then there's the 32mm Victorinox 241075 women's military (my pic):

There's also the Laco 36mm fliegers. They do wear quite big due to lack of bezel, though. My pic:

Then there's Epos, with their 30mm diver, and 31mm classic line:

Wow nice ! Thanks, good to have some more inspiration :)

I'm currently wearing a ladies momentum atlas on a mesh strap (this one, bargain, I got it a fiver cheaper too) and at just 30mm or so I feel it's about right. Anything much bigger feels like a 'statement' when I wear it, rather than a daily ticker.

Apprentice
    I think if you tried the midsize range of 31mm-34mm, you'll probably get used to bigger sizes very quickly. When I first started out in this hobby, 34mm seemed huge to me because of my skinny wrists (and short height), but very quickly, I came to view anything below 31mm as too small for me. Now, I would not buy any watch that is below 31mm in diameter, and my ideal is in the 31mm to 34mm range. (Unfortunately this is also the rarest size range for automatic watches. The typical "men's" watch is too big on me at 36mm+, while the typical "women's" watch is too tiny for me at below 29mm.)

If you prefer automatics around the 30mm mark, I have a few more suggestions:

The Orient Duo NR1R002B, at 29.5mm. Price is very affordable. It was a SWEET watch with a nice blue-tint display back, but unfortunately I ended up selling it because it just felt too small for me. My pic:

Then there's the Tissot Bridgeport at 28mm. I would totally be all over this one if it weren't so tiny:

The new Hamilton Jazzmaster at 30mm:

The Rotary Mechanique at 29mm. It has a manual wind ETA2660 movement. However, it's square-shaped so may wear bigger than a round watch of the same dimension. I think I purchased the last new one in existence, however, although you may be able to find the manual wind version somewhere on the net:

The ladie's Doxa diver at 32mm. It will wear A LOT smaller than 32mm because of the thick bezel:

The Wempe Zeitmeister at 30mm:

And the Certina 125th Anniversary at 30mm:

Last edited by vivian886; 2nd November 2013 at 04:36.

Master
    Welcome to the forum Vivian.
    Just looking at all your wrist shots above, and I have to say the best look for me, was your Orient.
    As much as you prefer the slightly larger size, the Victorinox still looks too big, and the Laco completely dwarfed your wrist, but the Orient looked just about perfectly suited.
    Those EPOS look elegant, and I'm surprised to see as much decoration on the movement, as too does the Rotary.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Welcome to the forum Vivian.
    Just looking at all your wrist shots above, and I have to say the best look for me, was your Orient.
    As much as you prefer the slightly larger size, the Victorinox still looks too big, and the Laco completely dwarfed your wrist, but the Orient looked just about perfectly suited.
    Those EPOS look elegant, and I'm surprised to see as much decoration on the movement, as too does the Rotary.
    Thanks for the feedback. But you'd be surprised how small the Orient actually was on me. It only appears larger in the picture because of the "fisheye effect" of camera wristshots. In reality, it was really dainty, especially for a watch of that style. As for the Victorinox, I think 32mm is just about perfect on me -- I've seen lots of similarly-proportioned dress watches on men's wrists, and if it doesn't look too big for them, I don't think the 32mm looks too big on me either. But I will agree that the Laco at 36mm is way too big on me, which is why I'll be flipping it.
    However, I'll take away from this that maybe watches in the 28mm-30mm range won't look too bad on me...so maybe I should get that Tissot after all :]

I never properly thanked vivian886 for her input in this thread!

A little while on and it turns out the poor sod has been fretting for rather too long as he was stuck on my initial (before I knew its price) mention of an auto Seamaster, and has been wavering between 'just buy the bloody thing' and 'but it costs a bomb'!

Really we're both rather egalitarian and frugal and see the whole marriage and engagement cost layout as a bit of a waste when you can have the best honeymoon ever instead - so the budget is revised down to somewhere around £500 on my suggestion. I have a gift snaffled away for him too, don't worry...

So seems Davosa Ladies Delight might be good if I could get over the size, plus lots of the ideas from viv above :)

Any further recommendations welcome, based on:

No larger than 35mm
    Water resistant ideally 100m+
    Automatic
    Metal strap (stainless or titanium, not plated)
    Around £500
    Classic look (no skeletons, naff hearts or otherwise superfluous frippery on the face)

Hi again all :)

Hi Sara - does it need to be new?

Master
    Blog Entries
    See if you can source one of these they are scarce but can be found Tudor Mini Sub with auto eta movement. This is my wifes hardly ever takes it off

Or more dressy try the Tudor Glamour. Its the one bottom right.

Ideally new, really. I still like the suggestions though :)

Also we live in Germany now so interesting smaller German brands appeal... Hence Davosa is a good thought.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Ladies are often going for much bigger watches too.

My wife wears this one. Kate Moss has been seen wearing this watch also.

Better keep this picture away from my wife or it could be an expensive Xmas

Apprentice
    Wow, can't believe I bumped into this thread again while aimlessly perusing the net. That Mini-Tudor looks sweet -- I really want one, but too bad the ones I see on Ebay right now are either in shoddy vintage condition, or quite expensive. There's a similar-looking 33mm Sub-homage diver from Squale 1545-59, but unfortunately it's quartz. Anyway, for Sara --I've got a few more suggestions I can think of based on your criteria:

"No larger than 35mm
    Water resistant ideally 100m+
    Automatic
    Metal strap (stainless or titanium, not plated)
    Around £500
    Classic look (no skeletons, naff hearts or otherwise superfluous frippery on the face)"

Autran&Viala Sport (German brand I believe) - 32mm; ~US$575; 100m WR; ETA 2824

Ball Lady Fireman - ~US$500-700 (listings on Ebay); 32mm, 100m; ETA 2761. I suppose an aftermarket steel band can be purchased.

Davosa 16618055 - 29mm; ~US$700 / Davosa 16618832 - 32mm; ~$700 (100m?)

Mido M0102081105300 - 33mm; ~$850 (CertifiedWatchStore); COSC-grade ETA2836 / Mido M76004131 - 29mm; ~$570 (100m WR?)

Seiko SRRY003 - 34.5mm; ~$200-300; 100m WR; 4r36 movement
    Last edited by vivian886; 26th September 2014 at 04:19.

GF wears this. It's 36mm though ...

Viv again! Awesome thank you - you seem to be finding models I've not come across even though I like to think I have good Google-Fu!

Sadly the MIDOs are 5 bar, not 10 - was wondering why they looked familiar.

A&V looked interesting if a bit plain, from their website it seems they don't even do automatics any more.

Dead nice Seiko though!

That IWC is pretty nice too but I suspect somewhat over budget!
    Last edited by Sara; 26th September 2014 at 09:13.

I regularly walk past a jeweler with an Oris display.

What catches my eye is the ladies Frank Sinatra, silver dial. It's a beautiful little thing 29mm x 29mm - the machined dial and applied blue indicies catch the light. Internal tear drop cyclops, swivel lugs. It looks so well engineered, perfectly proportioned, more so than the man's version.
    I've caught myself wondering if I could pull it off, wearing a ladies size - really !!

The stock photos for the silver dial are rubbish. These are are better representation (although they're the full size case) :

http://www.friendsoforis.com/forum/i...k-sinatra-date

Has the Oris Big Crown ladies been suggested ?
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 26th September 2014 at 09:37.

Oh God yes those Frank Sinatras are gorgeous - esp as I'm into things from that era or a bit before anyway. Shame the WR is only 30m :(

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Oh God yes those Frank Sinatras are gorgeous - esp as I'm into things from that era or a bit before anyway. Shame the WR is only 30m :(
    Yes, shame about the WR. But otherwise, I think it's perfect, pictures don't do it justice.

What appears to have happened now is that I'm back full-circle with the Longines Hydroconquest - 300m, 29.5mm, Automatic etc:
    http://www.uhrinstinkt.de/longines-h...84.4.96.6.html

- it seems to be slipping in price a bit. It's nearing £600-odd and the blue one is still even knocking about in places (albeit getting slowly rarer). Black would also be OK!

The other half is now fully aware of this watch, that I really like it, and is making positive noises in reaction to the price. It'd be lovely if this ends up being the one which comes my way...

...if he finds something else more fun or apt to get me instead (not a watch - he didn't want one as his present so I have something else for him tucked away ready) then I may be looking at buying something slightly less expensive that has cropped up this thread as a present to myself anyway :)

Love that the suggestions still come trickling in! Thank you! :D

Also, not an automatic but a definite maybe for a beater on-the-side:

http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-4541.html

Right now this is going for a very cheap €98 (77 quid) - it's selling at well over €200 everywhere else, how do Creation do it?

Craftsman
    omega seamaster midsize

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Reviving this thread as this is a cool watch and I see it is still avail....
    (Also cool to see there are a few other women here.)

Yep...a few (although to the annoyance of some no doubt!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    Yep...a few (although to the annoyance of some no doubt!)

You think? I would hope gentlemen appreciate a bit of a feminine touch?!

I got my woman an invicta diver and a citizen solar.
    Great lume an wr on both, ideal for showering the kids and diving in the pool and stuff

Cheap and very very good value

Quote Originally Posted by Plume View Post
    You think? I would hope gentlemen appreciate a bit of a feminine touch?!
    I'm sure some would lol