closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'No Sir, I will not let you spend £4000 in my Ernest Jones' UPDATED

'No Sir, I will not let you spend £4000 in my Ernest Jones' UPDATED

I'm in the lucky position of being able (allowed) to purchase a nice watch thanks to a promotion at work. I also wanted (was told) to get some nice earrings for my wife as well.
    I've quite fancied a nice chunky diver for a while and rather like the ceramic bezel Omega Planet Ocean.

So being a Signet Group shareholder (£16 of shares given to me from the Ratners days, lol) I knew my 10% discount was guaranteed, and for ease of payment I wanted to take advantage of the 0% finance offer.
    If I could get anything else out of them, then all the better but I wasn't expecting much.

So after nipping in to my local Ernest Jones yesterday, I made it clear I wanted to do a deal there and then and purchase the watch and some nice diamond earrings for my wife. About £4,500 before taking off the 10%.
    Expecting a good level of service was somewhat marred by the first sales guy confusing the chronograph with a chronometer, as he struggled to identify the watch I pointed at in the window (possibly my finger was not as straight and true as I thought due to the excitement of having the watch on my wrist), but we got there in the end. I was upfront about the 0% offer and my 10% discount, so he had to go and see his Manageress. Hoping (expectation had left by then), for some better service I was rather surprised to be categorically told that I could have either 10% off OR 0%, but not both. After querying this again, I thanked her for her time (I was brought up properly, you see) and left rather cheesed off!

Possibly an espresso to calm my nerves wasn't the right course as soon I was feeling quite p****d off, so decided to call a couple of other branches who both readily agreed it shouldn't be a problem. Sadly they didn't stock Omega. I then phoned customer services who ummed and ahhed about it, giving a woolly 'well, it's been brought up a few times recently with customers but I can't give you an answer till Monday' response. They, apparently, will phone me Monday to clarify.
    I nipped back to the shop late afternoon, to see if they would 'allow me' to make the purchase, with the knowledge other branches would be happy to take my money. A very firm and no and some very aggressive customer service preceded me leaving really, really cheesed off.

So, how should I play this? I still would like the watch, the earrings and the 0% but the experience has really put me off, and I will certainly be very firm with 'customer services', should they phone (after all, will they know if I have £5 0r £50,000 of shares?)

Thanks for your time. I'm off to calm down with a coffee....

Update:
    Well, I wasn't really expecting any calls from EJ but due to work, I have two voicemail messages to enjoy.
    The first was from customer services to apologise for the service and confirm I can use my 10% discount and get 0% as well and very sorry again for the service and please phone customer services if I would like to talk to them.
    Due to work I missed this, and was surprised to get another message later in the day asking me to ask for the Manager in store who would be waiting for me to return, fully briefed, and would be very happy to give me extra discount on the earrings for my wife! I guess they would like my business after all :)

I'll wait till tomorrow afternoon and then see "what can they do for me?" :)

Thanks to everyone for their advice and pointers. Much appreciated.

Pete
    Last edited by RallyePete; 17th June 2013 at 21:58.

I would have thought that both could be used in conjunction if your shareholder status provides you with an automatic ten percent discount. It could just be that the staff in the shop aren't aware of this. Saturday staff have long been known to be less than knowledgeable when it comes to complex issues such as being polite and aware, staff in watch shops even more so. If the manager in my local Ernest Jones looks any further down his nose, his head will pop off.

I would wait until you speak to customer services, obtain clarification and ask them to contact the store manager direct to ensure that the next time you visit,you leave with a slightly less tense visage, a shiny ticky thing in a bag and a piece of bling for your wife.

Your last line is the key to this - go in calm. And make sure you've checked any small print at your end, to save embarrassment.
    A few options present themselves here. You could wait to see if customer services allow the transaction - when dealing with them be insistent that, if they say "no", you want to see where this rule is written and when - dated proof wanted.
    Keep asking "explain to me why not" if they hit you with flat "no"s.
    Try some more branches that DO stock Omega, and enquire whether those that don't stock them, that have told you they'll do both deals, can order a model from another store - I'll have to ask my wife about this - she was in jewellery for a few years and gets me all my discounts!
    If things get too heated, walk away/hang up, and collect all your facts together ready for your next angle - don't lose your rag.
    Remember always that shouting and the "don't mess with me" approach doesn't make you look like an "I don't take sh*t from anyone" character, itjust makes you look threatened and helpless, or just plain silly.
    Good luck.

Every time I've attempted a purchase at Ernest Jones I've found them clueless about the watch, unhelpful and unwilling to accommodate the possibility of discounts. Therefore I still haven't bought anything from them.

David

I should have mentioned that whilst making the other enquiries and the call to customer services, I was, as ever, courteous and polite in my information gathering. It was tempting to get frustrated with customer services though..

Craftsman
    Just after Christmas I was in the market for a Roamer venus that they sell in Ernest Jones, so with £500 in my pocket I popped into town and went in to try on and probably buy.
    I stood there waiting for ages while one guy stood with his back to me in the full knowledge I was there and the other one tried to sell a monstrous Armani watch to a young guy who had some Christmas vouchers.
    Whilst this was going on there was a middle aged couple looking at rings outside in the window. As soon as they came in, the guy who was ignoring me leapt towards them all smiles and welcoming and left me standing there like a spare one.
    Needless to say I walked out and haven't been back.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyePete View Post
    I should have mentioned that whilst making the other enquiries and the call to customer services, I was, as ever, courteous and polite in my information gathering. It was tempting to get frustrated with customer services though..
    You did good. NEVER show that youre too annoyed.
    My 1st "proper" job was in a customer service environment - though admittedly I didn't stay long! The amount of times Ive seen an irate customer put on loudspeaker and silently laughed at would astonish you! Another one is to press the silence button on the phone and call you insulting names as you rant.
    Some of the guys were incredibly good at this and would put insults into the conversation as fast as they could speak :- "Of course Mr Smith (silence button) you c*nt, I can see how thatd upset you, (silence button) you soft tw*t, I'll just transfer you to another department (silence button) who will ignore you or hang up.

Is this perhaps a requirement of all EJ stores? My local EJ in Milton Keynes were just as unpleasant and useless.

When I was looking to buy my AT I popped in there twice. The first time I asked if they had this variant in, they said they'd call once it was in. I never got the call. I gave them the benefit of doubt, maybe they wrote my number down wrong?

The second time as I became more interested I popped in to have a look at a few. There were perhaps 6 or 7 staff in there. I was the only customer browsing the Omegas and Breitlings, it took about 10-15 minutes before the assistant manageress to approach my girlfriend and I. And that was only after I stood in front of the same cabinet for a good few minutes and made sure she caught eye contact.

What was most disappointing is she didn't know her watch models. Having to ask colleagues what is the Aqua Terra, etc... She's the assistant manager FFS! All she had to say about the watch was how nice the display case was, and other general drivel!

It's a shame because they have the widest range of Omegas in store in Milton Keynes. Guess I'll just have to keep window shopping there and then order in elsewhere.

Apprentice
    I'm in the lucky position of being able (allowed) to purchase a nice watch thanks to a promotion at work. I also wanted (was told) to get some nice earrings for my wife as well.
    I've quite fancied a nice chunky diver for a while and rather like the ceramic bezel Omega Planet Ocean.

So being a Signet Group shareholder (£16 of shares given to me from the Ratners days, lol) I knew my 10% discount was guaranteed, and for ease of payment I wanted to take advantage of the 0% finance offer.
    If I could get anything else out of them, then all the better but I wasn't expecting much.

So after nipping in to my local Ernest Jones yesterday, I made it clear I wanted to do a deal there and then and purchase the watch and some nice diamond earrings for my wife. About £4,500 before taking off the 10%.
    Expecting a good level of service was somewhat marred by the first sales guy confusing the chronograph with a chronometer, as he struggled to identify the watch I pointed at in the window (possibly my finger was not as straight and true as I thought due to the excitement of having the watch on my wrist), but we got there in the end. I was upfront about the 0% offer and my 10% discount, so he had to go and see his Manageress. Hoping (expectation had left by then), for some better service I was rather surprised to be categorically told that I could have either 10% off OR 0%, but not both. After querying this again, I thanked her for her time (I was brought up properly, you see) and left rather cheesed off!

Possibly an espresso to calm my nerves wasn't the right course as soon I was feeling quite p****d off, so decided to call a couple of other branches who both readily agreed it shouldn't be a problem. Sadly they didn't stock Omega. I then phoned customer services who ummed and ahhed about it, giving a woolly 'well, it's been brought up a few times recently with customers but I can't give you an answer till Monday' response. They, apparently, will phone me Monday to clarify.
    I nipped back to the shop late afternoon, to see if they would 'allow me' to make the purchase, with the knowledge other branches would be happy to take my money. A very firm and no and some very aggressive customer service preceded me leaving really, really cheesed off.

So, how should I play this? I still would like the watch, the earrings and the 0% but the experience has really put me off, and I will certainly be very firm with 'customer services', should they phone (after all, will they know if I have £5 0r £50,000 of shares?)

Thanks for your time. I'm off to calm down with a coffee....

I wonder if these shops are so used to tyre-kickers that they've lost nearly all respect for customers?

With so little knowledge of the goods they're selling I do wonder if they're all in danger of being made redundant. If the assistant manageress doesn't know what an Aqua Terra is they might as well just sell online with a money back guaranteed option.

I do wonder why the couple got leapt at as soon as they came in and the earlier poster was ignored. Any ideas?

Master
    You must vote with your feet and spend your hard-earned elsewhere.

There's no excuse for poor service.

Apprentice
    Hi i just bought a breitling superocean heritage 46 from Ernest jones Newcastle upon tyne & i got 10 percent off with 3 years interest free,they are not a brietling agent so bought Ernest jones gift card to the value of the watch on interest free,they then ordered the watch from their Harrogate branch.Order took about two weeks for delivery from breitling to Harrogate then delivery next day to newcastle all very easy,any branch can get any brands EJ stock.I also asked if any deals could be done in the future they said no problem tell us what you want,with Beaverbrooks,Goldsmiths & Berrys it was either one or the other so you can guess who will get my custom.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    I do wonder why the couple got leapt at as soon as they came in and the earlier poster was ignored. Any ideas?
    Ernst Jones company policy is to look down on customers wearing tiny second-hand shoes and oversized Barbour coats.

Master
    We wouldn't be reading this thread in the USA where excellent service is assumed as the norm. We British folk put up with far too much of this "salesmanship"!

I really don't understand the apathy some sales people have. Somewhere like EJ stocks some expensive items and therefore they should know there stick to help close the deals. Customer service should be high on their agenda.

Whilst not every Saturday sales assistant might be up to speed on all the models, the managers should ensure that any downtime is used to educate staff on the models stocked.

There will be plenty of tyre kickers and dreamers who come through the door but when you are selling a premium product, you only need to convert a couple of extra sales to make an extra £10k of turnover a week. That's circa £500k a year. It's the managers and assistant managers who need to run a tighter ship.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    We wouldn't be reading this thread in the USA where excellent service is assumed as the norm. We British folk put up with far too much of this "salesmanship"!
    Ha ha ha ha ha - Personally, I prefer honest crap salesmanship to the appalling fakery that passes for 'service' in the vast majority of places in the USA.

You pays your money you takes your choices. In the States its all fake smiles and welcomes everywhere, so truly good service is virtually unheard of. Here, at least, you can spot someone providing good service from the minimum wage drones.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Might I suggest that you investigate the "0%" and shareholder small print to make sure that neither of them say "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer"?

Assuming all is well with the small print, you might (calmly) speak to the store manager and ask them to visualise how it might look If you have to go all the way to head office to claim the entitlements that are clearly there in black and white?

Then smile and say " it would be better all round if you could allow me to give you lots of money today in return for the items that I would like to buy from you ".

That's what I would do.

If they've annoyed you don't spend any money in their store.

It's not as though EJ had offered you the world discount wise. If I couldn't get that sort of a deal from another AD I would be very surprised. Take your trade to another jeweler's - vote with your feet. One thing's for sure - if they treated me like that I would travel to the other side of the country to buy before I bought anything from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    Might I suggest that you investigate the "0%" and shareholder small print to make sure that neither of them say "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer"?

Assuming all is well with the small print, you might (calmly) speak to the store manager and ask them to visualise how it might look If you have to go all the way to head office to claim the entitlements that are clearly there in black and white?

Then smile and say " it would be better all round if you could allow me to give you lots of money today in return for the items that I would like to buy from you ".

That's what I would do.
    I went through the website with a fine tooth comb in relation to shareholder discount. Having double checked today, I cannot see where it says that this is not available depending on your payment method.
    I'll wait to see what they say tomorrow, with the intention of letting them know that if they would like my business then an additional PO rubber strap to compensate for the inconvenience will ensure I buy from them.
    Otherwise, having browsed the online offers, my business will be going elsewhere and I'll forgo the convenience of the 0%.

That's what I would do.
    I agree with this. Make sure you're entirely comfortable with both the 0% and the 10% share holder deals and go back. If the 0% deal does not state it cannot be used with the share holder discount and visa-versa, take that detail back to the store.

I really wouldn't worry about the lack of knowledge of the EJ staff. At the end of the day, they didn't get the job for the love of horology, they got a highstreet retail job as they wanted a job, nothing more. The displeasure of dealing with them for an hour or two will be nothing compared to the long-term joy of owning a watch you really want.

If the share holder deal were not a considering my advice would be to walk away, but contact their head office / customer services to ensure they know how you were treated. But 10% is a big saving by anybodies standards, it's worth a fight.

Do your homework, go back armed with facts and be prepared to stand your ground.

That's what I would do.
    Which is pretty much the same as I said. That small print's the key - providing its in your favour - theres nothing more satisfying than using a companys policies against them!

I'll wait to see what they say tomorrow, with the intention of letting them know that if they would like my business then an additional PO rubber strap to compensate for the inconvenience will ensure I buy from them.
    Otherwise, having browsed the online offers, my business will be going elsewhere and I'll forgo the convenience of the 0%.
    Spoke to my wife regarding the way forward on this (several years in both big name and independent jewellery management and more still in retail in general).
    Her advice was very concise - "don't go in there saying "I want this and that to compensate me" - go in there and say "what can you do for me?" and just calmly wait for their answer."
    Id say keep saying "no" until youre happy with their offer, or walk away. If theyre any good they'll ask what you want to make the sale happen, if not, hint gently and, if theyre not biting, go somewhere that does bite - though if you manage to establish youre entitled to interest free AND 10% you've won anyway!

Banned
    You've gone into a shop and asked for something and they've said no.

What's to discuss?

If, as a shareholder, you should have received a 'yes', then tell them, pointing out the terms in the documents you must hold, or from the research you did which gave you these assumptions, before setting out on your discount hunting journey.

Journeyman
    Sounds like a very poor experience but it doesn't surprise me. Take your business elsewhere as you'll probably be able to get 10% discount or more at another AD or at least a much better customer experience. Good luck.

Craftsman
    I went through the website with a fine tooth comb in relation to shareholder discount. Having double checked today, I cannot see where it says that this is not available depending on your payment method.
    Just remember that although the shareholder issue does muddy the waters somewhat, they are under no legal obligation to sell to you even at full rrp. God knows why they wouldn't, but they seem to be totally uninterested for some reason.
    As a poster mentioned above, with levels of service like this, I see no advantage of their shop over an internet company with a no quibbles returns policy.

This might be slightly ignorant and apologies if it has already been discussed, but if the 10% and 0% does work, would this apply for the Rolex they sell too?

Discounts are at the discretion of the retailer - the 0% finance actually costs them money so it's understandable if they wouldn't want to combine it with another offer. Not sure who far you want to take your argument, would you expect 0% on an already reduced sale item plus the 10% as well - the answer would be a certain 'no'. Admittedly it would be better if there was some fine print on the website that clarified plus consistency across the branches and customer services. Signet group staff don't seem very knowledgeable these days - 'back in the day' the H Samuel in my home town was on three floors with a Russian watchmaker in the basement. Amongst the dusty relics of a bygone era in said basement (now closed) was a training manual intended for all staff that covered every Swiss brand, history service costs etc. In these days of shopping centre stores, if you want a proper discount and staff who consider the 'bigger picture' of what you are buying plus know their product, I'd seek out an independent jeweller.

Banned
    Pete,

You want to give it a while, go back in suited n booted, ask to look at the most expensive items in there, giving the impression you are going to buy.. then just as you're handing over the credit card.. withdraw it and say "Oh, hang on... I just remembered.. the last time I was in here, you refused to sell me a watch on zero percent... hmm.. you know what, forget it.. I'll buy from elsewhere". Then just walk out.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Ha ha ha ha ha - Personally, I prefer honest crap salesmanship to the appalling fakery that passes for 'service' in the vast majority of places in the USA.

You pays your money you takes your choices. In the States its all fake smiles and welcomes everywhere, so truly good service is virtually unheard of. Here, at least, you can spot someone providing good service from the minimum wage drones.

M.
    Do you expect sales people to be genuinely happy to see you? I'd rather someone put in a little effort than none at all, which is the norm in the UK.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    Do you expect sales people to be genuinely happy to see you? I'd rather someone put in a little effort than none at all, which is the norm in the UK.
    There are no (well, very very few) sales people that work in highstreet chains as if they were any good, they'd be working somewhere other than a highstreet retailer.
    The best you can hope for is a good "service" person, that has an interest in what they're selling, as this normally means you'll be getting some respect from them and possibly a bit of decent advice - although if your reading this, it's unlikely that your going to find yourself served by someone more knowledgable on watches than you are!

Master
    OP, I can understand your frustration but you're being way too patient. I'm sure you could have crossed the high street and got the deal you want elsewhere. Why are you letting them "get back to you"? There's too many outlets for these "exclusive" watches these days so I just wouldn't put up with being unhappy.

In terms of Ernest Jones, I've found them to be a mixed bag. However, I remember calling them a year or so ago to register my interest in the TAG Heuer Festival of Speed watches. There was one model in particular I fancied and the manager said he'd call me back to arrange my purchase. He never did and funnily enough, I bought from elsewhere

Master
    This thread proves my point that customer service and experience is very much a mixed bag. I have had good and bad encounter with EJ. It is no wonder they lost their Rolex franchise.

What you ask should be achievable but the whole thing is now tainted. I would have a think whether you still like to do business with them or take it elsewhere!

This should have been a pleasurable and memorable day for you and your wife, instead it has been marred by poor sales service. Would it not be better to have a new sales / purchase experience elsewhere without the sour taste from the previous encounter?

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Pete,

You want to give it a while, go back in suited n booted, ask to look at the most expensive items in there, giving the impression you are going to buy.. then just as you're handing over the credit card.. withdraw it and say "Oh, hang on... I just remembered.. the last time I was in here, you refused to sell me a watch on zero percent... hmm.. you know what, forget it.. I'll buy from elsewhere". Then just walk out.
    You have too much time on your hands Stewart
    Gray

Personally, at that level of service, I'd ignore that branch for the rest of time and simply find another one who can help you. If a shop feels so strongly that they don't want your business, why give it to them?

Grand Master
    The 10% discount is an "entitlement" for the shareholder but I don't believe the 0% interest offer is an entitlement at all. The small print states that the store reserves the right not to allow the discount on merchandise also being offered with other promotions.

Am sure this has been discussed in the context of steel sports Rolexes before. As Omega is straining every sinew to become the new Rolex, perhaps they too are issuing stringent rules to EJ? (Which would be odd, given the news that they are being bulk-discounted out the door at Selfridges and Harrods)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    This thread proves my point that customer service and experience is very much a mixed bag. I have had good and bad encounter with EJ. It is no wonder they lost their Rolex franchise.
    just a devil's advocate type post....

EJ didn't lose their rolex francise, they gave it up, due to margins, rigid rules & rolex's demand they re-modelled their stores into green rolex branded bars

I bought my sub from EJ in Dec2012, pleasent enough experience... they offered discount both with or without 0% finance (i took the discount, but not the credit)

GS were perhaps a bit more professional (that's a bit harsh to EJ... hard to explain.... EJ were a bit alright mate, do you want a coffee and GS were more posh and good afternoon sir, can we get you a beaverage), but no discount from GS, so they didn't get the dosh!

I don't think the OP is being unreasonable to ask for 0% and expect to use his dicount entitlement

personally, i'd ask for credit to begin with, then ask for discount, then ask them to re-size the bracelet & maybe de-sticker the watch, then finally at the till pull out the signet card - but i'm a b**tard like that

Have you contacted shareholder relations? They will know the rules but also will be probably intelligent people and will probably be able to get everything set up for you.

Would guess most store staff don't get the shareholder idea and a small share holder today big one tomorrow. Also as a shareholders you have channels to voice opinions on service and how the customers are treated and stores are run.

Some really good interesting comments on this thread.

Discount and 0% is having your cake AND eating it. It's not impossible but it's great if you get it.

However it seems a little strange that in this day and age the vendor is not prepared to do a deal on a decent amount of money. Can't comment on the "customer service" you might or might not have received as I wasn't there.

I recently got the brush off from Goldsmiths Basingstoke, picked up some watches that had been away for a service and got chatting to the (generally unhelpful and condescending) salesman when I mention that I'd like to try on a Monaco 24 for size. To me try on means if it fits and feels comfortable I will buy it. The salesman simply laughed and proclaimed that they don't get watches in for people to try. Very simply I won't be giving Goldsmiths Basingstoke ANY business while that prat works there. So OP I do share your frustration, especially when there is serious some cash that you will be spending.

Update:
    Well, I wasn't really expecting any calls from EJ but due to work, I have two voicemail messages to enjoy.
    The first was from customer services to apologise for the service and confirm I can use my 10% discount and get 0% as well and very sorry again for the service and please phone customer services if I would like to talk to them.
    Due to work I missed this, and was surprised to get another message later in the day asking me to ask for the Manager in store who would be waiting for me to return, fully briefed, and would be very happy to give me extra discount on the earrings for my wife! I guess they would like my business after all :)

I'll wait till tomorrow afternoon and then see "what can they do for me?" :)

Thanks to everyone for their advice and pointers. Much appreciated.

Pete
    That's good news Pete.

I should imagine, a rather embarrassed Manager, will make the point of going out of their way to help with discounts and maybe a few goodies thrown in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    ...The salesman simply laughed and proclaimed that they don't get watches in for people to try....
    Ha! I was in Santorini last year and popped into an AP and Hublot dealer there. He couldn't stop brining out ever more expensive pieces for me to just try on. Then started bombardning my other half with watches for the laydeez. Totally different attitude.

Hey ho.

Simon

I encountered very helpful staff at Watches Of Switzerland,Manchester. I had popped in to have a general nosy and a helpful member of staff was getting Panerai's and IWC out quicker than I could try them on.

If I was in the market for a high-end new watch I would definitely go back there!
    Last edited by Lammylee; 18th June 2013 at 11:46.

Admitedly not EJ/GS but often I will go in to look at something expensive & say "I'm not lookingto buy today, just narrowing down my choices" or similar and have always had pleasant service & on the odd occasion I haven't have crossed them off my list for later...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    Ha! I was in Santorini last year and popped into an AP and Hublot dealer there. He couldn't stop brining out ever more expensive pieces for me to just try on. Then started bombardning my other half with watches for the laydeez. Totally different attitude.

Hey ho.

Simon
    I guess this was one of the Nick The Greek chain of stores in Fira! Excellent little shops with some stunning watches and jewellery. The staff are really knowledgable about their stock too.

Si

Master
    Interesting one this.

A good few years ago my old Mum was a manager for EJ. I ran this one by her when I went for Sunday dinner this week and she said only once had she done the discount and interest free together, and been severely reprimanded for it.
    They had already done the deal and arranged a discount when the chap said he was taking the interest free option.
    Legally speaking, you're not allowed to offer different prices for different payment methods (though it's widely accepted that a fist full of cash will usually get a decent deal), so as the price had been agreed, the deal had to stand.

So, officially they are not allowed under any circumstances to discount a product intended for interest free credit (it costs them something like 6% over a 2 year period).

BUT, you are entitled to a 10% discount as a shareholder, and as far as I know they are legally bound to accept payment via the interest free credit provided you qualify for it.

Now I'm puzzled!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Interesting one this.

A good few years ago my old Mum was a manager for EJ. I ran this one by her when I went for Sunday dinner this week and she said only once had she done the discount and interest free together, and been severely reprimanded for it.
    They had already done the deal and arranged a discount when the chap said he was taking the interest free option.
    Legally speaking, you're not allowed to offer different prices for different payment methods (though it's widely accepted that a fist full of cash will usually get a decent deal), so as the price had been agreed, the deal had to stand.

So, officially they are not allowed under any circumstances to discount a product intended for interest free credit (it costs them something like 6% over a 2 year period).

BUT, you are entitled to a 10% discount as a shareholder, and as far as I know they are legally bound to accept payment via the interest free credit provided you qualify for it.

Now I'm puzzled!
    Sounds like your mum negotiated a discount to close a sale which would be different from using a company authorised discount scheme

While lots of things are thrown around about retail rights and pricing (i.e price ticket says .... you have to sell it to me, You have to let me pay by 0% etc) the contract of sale is not completed until money has changed hands and as such a retailer is completely within their rights to cancel the sale.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligub View Post
    While lots of things are thrown around about retail rights and pricing (i.e price ticket says .... you have to sell it to me, You have to let me pay by 0% etc) the contract of sale is not completed until money has changed hands and as such a retailer is completely within their rights to cancel the sale.
    Agreed - sales of goods are not about unalienable rights. Those only come afterwards.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman

Very nice collection indeed

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Personally, at that level of service, I'd ignore that branch for the rest of time and simply find another one who can help you. If a shop feels so strongly that they don't want your business, why give it to them?
    Very nice collection indeed

Journeyman

Nice to know

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    just a devil's advocate type post....

EJ didn't lose their rolex francise, they gave it up, due to margins, rigid rules & rolex's demand they re-modelled their stores into green rolex branded bars

I bought my sub from EJ in Dec2012, pleasent enough experience... they offered discount both with or without 0% finance (i took the discount, but not the credit)

GS were perhaps a bit more professional (that's a bit harsh to EJ... hard to explain.... EJ were a bit alright mate, do you want a coffee and GS were more posh and good afternoon sir, can we get you a beaverage), but no discount from GS, so they didn't get the dosh!

I don't think the OP is being unreasonable to ask for 0% and expect to use his dicount entitlement

personally, i'd ask for credit to begin with, then ask for discount, then ask them to re-size the bracelet & maybe de-sticker the watch, then finally at the till pull out the signet card - but i'm a b**tard like that
    Nice to know