closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 'No Sir, I will not let you spend £4000 in my Ernest Jones' UPDATED

Threaded View

'No Sir, I will not let you spend £4000 in my Ernest Jones' UPDATED

I'm in the lucky position of being able (allowed) to purchase a nice watch thanks to a promotion at work. I also wanted (was told) to get some nice earrings for my wife as well.
    I've quite fancied a nice chunky diver for a while and rather like the ceramic bezel Omega Planet Ocean.

So being a Signet Group shareholder (£16 of shares given to me from the Ratners days, lol) I knew my 10% discount was guaranteed, and for ease of payment I wanted to take advantage of the 0% finance offer.
    If I could get anything else out of them, then all the better but I wasn't expecting much.

So after nipping in to my local Ernest Jones yesterday, I made it clear I wanted to do a deal there and then and purchase the watch and some nice diamond earrings for my wife. About £4,500 before taking off the 10%.
    Expecting a good level of service was somewhat marred by the first sales guy confusing the chronograph with a chronometer, as he struggled to identify the watch I pointed at in the window (possibly my finger was not as straight and true as I thought due to the excitement of having the watch on my wrist), but we got there in the end. I was upfront about the 0% offer and my 10% discount, so he had to go and see his Manageress. Hoping (expectation had left by then), for some better service I was rather surprised to be categorically told that I could have either 10% off OR 0%, but not both. After querying this again, I thanked her for her time (I was brought up properly, you see) and left rather cheesed off!

Possibly an espresso to calm my nerves wasn't the right course as soon I was feeling quite p****d off, so decided to call a couple of other branches who both readily agreed it shouldn't be a problem. Sadly they didn't stock Omega. I then phoned customer services who ummed and ahhed about it, giving a woolly 'well, it's been brought up a few times recently with customers but I can't give you an answer till Monday' response. They, apparently, will phone me Monday to clarify.
    I nipped back to the shop late afternoon, to see if they would 'allow me' to make the purchase, with the knowledge other branches would be happy to take my money. A very firm and no and some very aggressive customer service preceded me leaving really, really cheesed off.

So, how should I play this? I still would like the watch, the earrings and the 0% but the experience has really put me off, and I will certainly be very firm with 'customer services', should they phone (after all, will they know if I have £5 0r £50,000 of shares?)

Thanks for your time. I'm off to calm down with a coffee....

Update:
    Well, I wasn't really expecting any calls from EJ but due to work, I have two voicemail messages to enjoy.
    The first was from customer services to apologise for the service and confirm I can use my 10% discount and get 0% as well and very sorry again for the service and please phone customer services if I would like to talk to them.
    Due to work I missed this, and was surprised to get another message later in the day asking me to ask for the Manager in store who would be waiting for me to return, fully briefed, and would be very happy to give me extra discount on the earrings for my wife! I guess they would like my business after all :)

I'll wait till tomorrow afternoon and then see "what can they do for me?" :)

Thanks to everyone for their advice and pointers. Much appreciated.

Pete
    Last edited by RallyePete; 17th June 2013 at 21:58.