closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Incoming - Jaeger Bombing!

Blog Entries

New Incoming - Jaeger Bombing!

It’s been a while since I did one of these and I’ve been playing the waiting game for the last couple of months, however having already developed total admiration for this piece last year when the original owner posted an incoming on the board when this came up for sale on SC recently I just had to bag it.

So what did we pick up? Here’s a summary:

• Model: Master 8 Days
    • Reference: 160.84.20
    • Case Size: 41.5mm diameter, 11mm thickness
    • Movement: calibre 877 hand wound with 8 day reserve
    • Complications: day/night indicator, power reserve & large date display

Part of the Master Series, the Master 8 Days was introduced in 2005 (later discontinued in 2010) and is the younger brother of the Master 8 Days Perpetual. In contrast to the Perpetual, the Master 8 Days is somewhat of a rare bird and I’m yet to have seen one anywhere else. Now I’m not for a second suggesting this is indeed a rare watch and given the production period that’s clearly not the case but for some reason these don’t seem to have much ownership - perhaps they simply weren’t popular? Either way, that makes it all the more appealing to me now.

In the looks department, the dial is silver and comes with a sunburst effect finish which shimmers in differing light and rhodium-plated hour-markers, numbers and dauphine hands complete the look. As is typical of most JLC watches, there is a fair amount of complication and this boasts a reserve indicator, day/night indicator and A. Lange & Sohne style big date which gives it a modern high tech look.

Turning over, and underneath the sapphire caseback is the jewel in the Master 8 Days crown, the in-house calibre 877 movement. The Master 8 Days shares the same movement as it’s bigger brother, the Master 8 Days Perpetual and the finish is extraordinary, featuring JLC’s signature ‘côtes soleillées’ sunray effect finish and comes decorated with Glashütte Original style blue screws and swan neck regulator. So what’s so special about this movement? Well a typical mechanical watch will hold a little over 40 hours of running time when the single mainspring is fully wound. In the Master 8 Days, JLC utilizes 2 spring barrels which results in enough power to run the watch at 28,800 vibrations per hour for an eye-watering 8 days. Considering case is only 11mm thick, this is pretty impressive.

In keeping with the Master Series tradition that has lasted for almost 20 years, all watches are put through their paces and all are subjected to a punishing “1000 Hours Control” test before leaving the workshops, the only test that verifies the timekeeping performances of finished watches in real-life conditions.

So how does it wear? Well at 41.5mm in diameter it certainly is big for a ‘dress watch’ (let the arguing commence!) but a relatively light and thin case results in a low profile which is incredibly comfortable.

Anywho that’s enough from me so I’ll keep this brief and let the pictures take over….

Craftsman
    That is a stunning watch, saw it for sale on another UK forum, wanted it then but way out of my range. Wear it in good health.

That is an absolute beauty !
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

I want this watch. A real beauty.

That is absolutely stunning! The first JLC I have instantly liked. Hope you enjoy it.

Timeless classic!!! Very nice !!

I used to have a Jaeger and sold it.....bad move!!!

Yes, that's very nice indeed. As you say, it's a rare beast.

Beautiful

Gorgeous, JLC really do complications well.

Beautiful watch and a Great looking strap, they go really well together.

Regards.

Keith.

Master
    That is one amazing watch! It looks new, is it?

Blog Entries
    Drool.... I saw that up for sale on another forum and I have to say, it is an absolute belter... Would love to own something like that myself at stage! Well done and enjoy it!

Craftsman

Smile

I think master is the operative word here - this looks stunning.

Well played OP, I am also becoming drawn to these, and these type of posts are simply not helping!

An absolute beauty of a watch! I especially like the way that the curved line of the power reserve indicator is continued in the day & night indicator and then in the small seconds dial.

Enjoy!
    -wotsch

Journeyman
    That's a beauty, enjoy.

That is lovely Darren. The JLC 8 day manual wind movement is superb

That's beautiful Darren. I've a real soft spot for JLC and this one is another fine example.

Probably too big for the dress watch debate, but worn in smart/casual occasions it'll be a showstopper.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all, this is my first foray into the wonderful world of JLC and to say i'm over the moon would be an understatement. The build quality is excellent and it just feels right. Needless to say it won't be the last!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    That is one amazing watch! It looks new, is it?
    I belive the original owner brought it last year NOS and had only worn it a handful of times so i guess for all intense and purposes its about as new condition as you will probably find one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by wotsch View Post
    I especially like the way that the curved line of the power reserve indicator is continued in the day & night indicator and then in the small seconds dial.
    Good spot, i hadn't noticed that but now you've mentioned it it is so obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Probably too big for the dress watch debate, but worn in smart/casual occasions it'll be a showstopper.
    What! Not even fit for the dress watch debate.....? Yeah you've probably right

That's an absolute stunner! Wonderful purchase sir!

I love that, congratulations what a watch

Apprentice
    Fantastic timepiece!

A very nice watch indeed.

Blog Entries
    A really stunning time peice. Looks really classy. Enjoy sir?

Journeyman
    Just wow. That's one of the most stunning watches I've ever seen. I imagine it cost more than I'm about to spend on a new car!

Enjoy it!

Craftsman
    Congratulations you lucky guy. I wasn't keen on JLC until I saw that - absolutely stunning.

Wear it in good health and enjoy to the full.

Blog Entries
    Thanks chaps

Having worn it all week at work i've had more than a few passing comments, which is more than i've ever had previously. I may even have unearthed a couple of WIS's.

Have been thinking about maybe trying to pick up a blue alligator strap which should work quite nicely against the blue hands and that on the day/night indicator. Anyone know if JLC sell a blue strap, where would be best to pick one up from (London area) and if so what's the likely cost these days?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Thanks chaps

Having worn it all week at work i've had more than a few passing comments, which is more than i've ever had previously. I may even have unearthed a couple of WIS's.

Have been thinking about maybe trying to pick up a blue alligator strap which should work quite nicely against the blue hands and that on the day/night indicator. Anyone know if JLC sell a blue strap, where would be best to pick one up from (London area) and if so what's the likely cost these days?
    Darren, I've just ordered a Camille Fournet Alligator in Dark Blue for my JLC RDM. Camille Fournet make JLC straps, only difference being the branding inside.

Here is Camille Fournet's guide to making a JLC strap on the custom section of their website:

That was for my 19mm lugs, you will need to change yours, to, I assume to 20mm?

If you want to match your current strap with stitching round the curved lugs you will need to change the option to "stitching to fitting and buckle".

Also, double check the padding, again, because your watch is bigger, it could be 5mm from looking at the photos.

Other than that, customise to your heart's content, colours, stitching colour, etc... I added the option of having a black rubber lining so that any sweat wouldn't impregnate in to the normal alsavel beige lining.

After adding the rubber option + delivery, after currency conversion you're looking at £175.

Blog Entries
    That's a superb find Ross, and i'm fairly certain a fraction of the price for an OEM strap. I'll be interested to see yours when it arrives, when are you expecting to receive? Also, your sizing yours to fit a deployant or tang buckle?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    That's a superb find Ross, and i'm fairly certain a fraction of the price for an OEM strap. I'll be interested to see yours when it arrives, when are you expecting to receive? Also, your sizing yours to fit a deployant or tang buckle?
    JLC charge around the £300 mark, so a good saving if you can live without the JLC logo on the lining. According to Fedex Tracking, it should arrive on Wednesday.

I've sized it for the tang buckle, which is only ever so slightly longer than the deployant. Camille Fournet Tang = 115/75, JLC Deployant strap = 112/68. I'm happy that the new strap will fit either buckle, but, you can size it to your deployant specs by asking CF nicely.

I've had two CF straps in the past so know of the quality, but I'll happily post pics on Wednesday (sans watch until my Birthday in a few weeks, damn the 6month wait the wife has made me endure before I'm allowed to play with my JLC )

Blog Entries
    I forgot about your 6 months hiatus, you must be chuffed that's coming to an end! Look forward to seeing the new combo.

Wow, what a beauty!!!

A JLC will be the perfect opposite to my Submariner, nice classy and casual, good choice.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    A thing of beauty is a joy forever

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    A JLC will be the perfect opposite to my Submariner, nice classy and casual, good choice.
    You can't go wrong number2, it'll compliment beautifully

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful watch . Congratulations :-)

Journeyman

Stunning movement!

Love the JLC, however the movement really is 'tha bomb'. You might consider wearing it upside down :D

Blog Entries
    It really is a feat of engineering - 8 days of reserve on a single wind is simply incredible. That's 192 hours, mind boggling!