closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New black n' blue Rolex GMTII 116710BLNR - tomorrow?!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you and your AD should get room!?

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I got 'The Call' in the week and I rang them back today for a chat, we get on well and I said 'So am I No 1 on the list'

the reply was a very dry and sarcastic "youre all No 1 to me'

there's a chap other at TURF who worked in a rolex AD, he says the stores order what they hope for and get what they're given, unless its a rarer variant (eg TT sub) which would almost certainly be in the next batch of watches shipped

RE the rest of this thread....

as far as i know (& I stand to be corrected) rolex has never sold any of us a watch directly, they sell via their dealer network (most of which carry other brands), and the negative experiences people are reporting are with them not rolex,

rolex marketing might make you desperate to have a rolex (or it might not!) but it's the ADs who are pushing the dope (so to speak)
    Last edited by adzman808; 14th June 2013 at 22:10.

I was intending to buy the new black-and-blue towards the end of the year and my nearest AD is Mappin and Webb, Guildford. I may have to look elsewhere, I guess. Then again, I've never been enamoured with them when I do visit...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Sounds like you and your AD should get room!?
    How do you think I got on the list!!!!
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's a matter i don't want to dwell on
    How do you think I got on the list!!!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    That's a matter i don't want to dwell on
    Has to Bea good hotel you can book a travel lodge like with Panerai
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Shame, but as mentioned wait a while you might get a better deal when they finally full the market.
    It sucks though when you have been really saving and waiting for something, anyway next time.

I think a couple have beaten me to it but people are getting mixed up with Rolex and the AD. You don't dislike Rolex's practices or behaviour, chances are it's the AD's.

Either that or some are being deliberately churlish because they like bashing the brand. As mentioned, Rolex does most things better than pretty much any of its competitors.

Come up with specifics and not broad generalisations.

As for the OP, I'd tell M&W to get stuffed with their silly stories and hyperbole.

What's the hurry to buy anyway?

Grand Master
    So I gues theres a few crs revving up and heading out but whos gonna be first to splash the cash and display its glory
    RIAC

I concur with most on this thread. I think it's the AD's who sometimes suck, not Rolex themselves.

I've bought from 4 different AD's. a couple were superb, one told porkies to try and get more business and the worst (sadly my local M&W) had great service, but their prices were a joke.

Took my WG Daytona in for a service and was quoted £885. Took it to St. James and few days later and paid £450.

Last Christmas Iwent in to buy a Lalique bowl. Their price was about £30 more than a local competitor and I asked if they'd match the price (which was also the same as the RRP)!! They refused and said they charge more than RRP as the bowl is hard to get hold of. Utter bs. I bought it from the other shop and had a £30 lunch in Yo Sushi :)

I popped in to my local AD today and tried one on - it does look good and I was quite tempted, but not enough to buy one.

I was much more taken with the 18k DayDate II though, but at 24k I wasn't reaching for my wallet... so I'll stick with my DayDate President original for now.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In which ADs around the country have people seen these today?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Baker Brothers in Bedford.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Mappins & Webb

Berrys

Lyons
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Did no one take the plunge today and procure the bruiser?
    RIAC

I think the blue looks a bit odd actually - it's just struck me that the old aluminium inserts have a metallic 'sheen' whereas the ceramic colours are quite flat in comparison. Obviously I'd have to see it in the flesh to be sure - but if it's like the ceramic white gold sub colour I'm not overly keen.

Did no one take the plunge today and procure the bruiser?
    Well, only the lucky few were allowed to indulge...

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think the blue looks a bit odd actually - it's just struck me that the old aluminium inserts have a metallic 'sheen' whereas the ceramic colours are quite flat in comparison. Obviously I'd have to see it in the flesh to be sure - but if it's like the ceramic white gold sub colour I'm not overly keen.
    I see your point, more of a pastel paint finish rather than a anodized aluminium..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I see your point, more of a pastel paint finish rather than a anodized aluminium..
    I was hoping for the same kind of look and colour as the old navy blue inserts on the Tudor Subs - I reckon an insert like that with half navy and half Blackwood look the business. I'm going to have to accept that I just don't like the bigger lugs and ceramic inserts that are now part of the new Rolex range, which is a bit if a shame as I really lived their range for years.

Once again I fall victim to the tiny iphone keyboard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I was quite close to buying a non date Sub C 2 weeks ago. Just needed to see one or equivalent in the flesh.

I asked 2 Rolex dealers in Glasgow if I could order one only to be told they get a monthly order which could include one

I asked if I could order one directly with Rolex....told no ....dont know if BS or not but I though any Company which could not produce an item / order directly is not worth the hassle.
    I bought my ceramic sub date 2 years ago from Goldsmiths .They didnt have one in stock they requested one with the next delivery they got.

I think they get a delivery once a month , they will tell you they cant order one in as it makes it sound more exclusive or special (sales BS ) but im sure they can.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I am still getting used to the look of the Submariner, but I can tell you that the ceramic bezel did look a bit underwhelming when the watch is on display, certainly alongside more shiny traditional metal bezels.

On static display, it looks as if it has protective film on it!

However when you wear it, then it changes from very deep black viewed straight on to a kind of lacquered silvery black (?) look depending on the light and viewing angle. It does look different to other watch bezels, but I don't feel it looks cheap or wrong at all - just different and it really gives the bezel a feeling of depth.

I think that if you were considering one of these then you really need to strap one to your wrist and tilt it around a bit in the shop window to see the dramatic effect that light has on it.

There's one in the Croydon branch of Lyons it's in store display not in the window

Master
    It sounds like you are held to a ransom rather than buying and enjoying the watch. The number of times I have been told someone else will take it!!!

I would rather wait or walk away, unless there is a deal to be had.

My local independant has been offered 3 today with the question "can I get a premium"
    answer has been a resounding "no"
    go figure

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    My local independant has been offered 3 today with the question "can I get a premium"
    answer has been a resounding "no"
    go figure
    I also heard of a of phone calls coming in saying 'Ive got a BLNR Id take £7k for it' It ended shortly to allow them to chortle at the fools optimism and somewhat disappointment at being offered £5200 for it BNIB. I think they fail to realise at best its a retail watch and to a used dealer worth less but maybe privatley someone will pay £5500.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
    I was intending to buy the new black-and-blue towards the end of the year and my nearest AD is Mappin and Webb, Guildford. I may have to look elsewhere, I guess. Then again, I've never been enamoured with them when I do visit...

Speak to Dawn or Chris, both very helpful ladies at M&W Guildford.

Youre at least the 4th person thats had a call then I know of!

I think I was the first or second to get that call last week.

Couldn't care less what people think of this strategy to sell all 44 on Saturday and if I was a Rolex retail partner I'd be doing as much as is reasonable to retain the franchise in these times. Another local AD I know very well lost their Rolex franchise last year and at a stroke lost 30% of their retail gross margin.

There's one in the window of Parkhouse, Southampton.

I was a bit underwhelmed, to be honest, and I agree that the bi-colour bezel doesn't look as good as the old anodised version. Although I waited for a while to see if somebody would reverse a container lorry into the window so that I could - ahem - get a closer look, but nobody obliged, so I went about my business.

Incidentally, they've still got the builders in after the last lorry-related incident, so the Rolex display shares window space with the Pateks, which probably annoys both parties.

Regards

Ian
    Last edited by Backward point; 18th June 2013 at 20:50.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Apprentice
    Here you go, enjoy

was in Glasgow on Saturday and popped into Argyll arcade.asked AD if he had the blue/black gmt and was given the usual about how rare they were,probably won't see one again this year etc...he then cottoned on to the idea I liked blue and asked if I would be interested in the yaughtmaster.another unusual comment was that he said the models on display(all the subs/gmt's,milgauss etc..) were only on show because they had arrived that day - implying that they were rare to see for sale as well.this contradicts my experience over the last couple of years window gazing.kept quiet and moved on...

Master
    One of these in Rockefellars Manchester as of yesterday.No price but they are usually under AD prices.

Got to say its not my cup of tea but it did look nice.

imo, a bit of patience, just wait and there will be plenty of them around.

Apprentice
    I know someone selling one for £8000 if anyone's interested, apparently it's one of the first first batches

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lostis4d View Post
    I know someone selling one for £8000 if anyone's interested, apparently it's one of the first first batches
    Didn't know they did white gold version

Quote Originally Posted by lostis4d View Post
    Must be $8k

Anyone got any idea when these might be back in ADs for mere mortals to handle?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Anyone got any idea when these might be back in ADs for mere mortals to handle?
    Most have it in stock? Saw several about last week...

I haven't seen on in the flesh yet so I may have a hunting trip this weekend to take a look...I am really liking the GMTII's at the moment and the black/blue ones look pretty nice in the pictures I've seen

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tell them to jam it, they will be loads about on a few months

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Calm down - I'm sure these will be readily available everywhere soon. Yet another example of Rolex AD b-s. why 44? Why do they all have to be sold double-quick? - honestly they make it up as they go along. And £6k! For a steel Rolex!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Tell them to jam it, they will be loads about on a few months
    Still struggling to get my head around the £350 premium over the standard GMT....for a half blue bezel insert. Makes the Hulk with its coloured dial and completely coloured bezel insert look like the bargain of the century. If they'd pitched it at £100 over the standard at £5700 it would have made more sense and one could also understand why the Hulk would be £350 more.

Standard GMT £5600
    Black/blue GMT £5700
    LV Sub £6050

Just seems more sensible pricing to me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bugger - was in the UK last week but forgot to look at these to see them for real (though I never saw any in any AD windows however wasn't exactly looking for it)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    Still struggling to get my head around the £350 premium over the standard GMT....for a half blue bezel insert. Makes the Hulk with its coloured dial and completely coloured bezel insert look like the bargain of the century. If they'd pitched it at £100 over the standard at £5700 it would have made more sense and one could also understand why the Hulk would be £350 more.
    Standard GMT £5600
    Black/blue GMT £5700
    LV Sub £6050

Just seems more sensible pricing to me.

Standard GMT £3900
    Black/blue GMT £3950
    LV Sub £4250

Seems more sensible to me ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Standard GMT £3900
    Black/blue GMT £3950
    LV Sub £4250

Seems more sensible to me ;)
    Lol,in my dreams Scott.

been offered 2 in the last month so becoming more common

A friend of mine called an AD last week and got the blue/black 3 days later.....
    really not scarce any more- but sure ain't no bargains on the secondhand market just yet........

Master
    picked one of these up a few weeks ago; first time in a ceramic Rolex and whilst it feels nice enough on, visually it falls short of my long departed Pepsi.

i missed that watch beforehand but actually miss it more now; go figure.

the contrast beteen the blue and black isn't quite strong enough imo; perhaps due to the fact it's ceramic rather than metallic, therefore more subtle. will stick with it for the time being as 2 weeks is a bit ridiculous for owning a watch.

I love mine and this is after having the reg ceramic GMT for 2.5yrs.

I can't put my finger on it, but it's visually a definite cut above the older GMT II C.

Master
    The standard is probably the more versatile in real world terms but most definitely a cleaner all round look to BLNR. Would have been nice to have had an all brushed bracelet to complete the look and differentiate between the two even further. Rolex don't make it easy nowadays to pick a favourite that's for sure.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    A friend of mine called an AD last week and got the blue/black 3 days later.....
    really not scarce any more- but sure ain't no bargains on the secondhand market just yet........
    Probably due to not selling many new ones!!!
    RIAC