closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Blue Moon Beer

Master

Blue Moon Beer

Hi everyone, I hope you all had as nice a day as we have had in North Wales, it's been a belter of a summers day. I finished off with a Blue Moon Beer. Looks like piss but it tastes lovely. I first tried this beer when I toured USA in 2011 and it grew on me. Regards. Kev

As you say Kev, it does look strange but will have to try this and the tipple Zelig has shown in his post and I was going to try and cut down, oh Bugger.

Regards.

Keith.

For fairly obvious reasons I was drawn to this tipple and didn't regret it, lovely tasting drink.
    I'll be enjoying it more in a few weeks when on holiday in the States....

Blog Entries
    Lovely stuff - pretty rare over here - but they always have it on tap at a bar near the hotel when I visit our head office in MN
    So I usually partake... of a few

z

Blue Moon is an excellent beer, good to see it being drunk the right way with a slice atop.

Beautiful day today, fired up the Weber and smoked a honey drizzled lamb shoulder and some Cajun chicken yum, finishing off the day with a White Russion. Great times and health to you all.

Master
    Coincidentally, I tried this for the first time this afternoon and you're right, it's a very good beer indeed!

My local pub does it on draft....very moreish!

Banned
    Drank bucket loads of the stuff in Colorado earlier this year - cracking beer

Very nice indeed .... Annhauser Busch's "shocktop" is a reasonable wheatbeer as well

My favourite drink.

Stumbled upon it in a dive bar in Guerneville north California in 2010 and have drunk it ever since. They sell it in quite a few of our frequented ale houses in Sheffield and also in my local morrisons.

How sweet is it?

The beer's not to my taste (I'm not keen on witbiers generally) but the marketing of this one is very interesting.

It's brewed by the MillerCoors multinational but they've very effectively marketed it as a craft beer (some might say fraudulently) to tap into the sentiment in favour of small independent brewers. It's been a very lucrative tactic, as you can see by looking at the supermarket shelves.

My favourite American beer. The trouble is I never know what to do with the orange slice! Squeeze and discard, dunk it or just drop it in the ashtray?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The beer's not to my taste (I'm not keen on witbiers generally) but the marketing of this one is very interesting.

It's brewed by the MillerCoors multinational but they've very effectively marketed it as a craft beer (some might say fraudulently) to tap into the sentiment in favour of small independent brewers. It's been a very lucrative tactic, as you can see by looking at the supermarket shelves.
    I gather that when it first came out in the US, it didn't really take off. So the orange was added for nothing more than a marketing ploy. Seems to have worked very well!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    ... just drop it in the ashtray?
    this is what I do - or get the bartender not to put one in
    either way - it tastes nice to me
    z

As a Manchester United supporter, I will be staying clear of this brewski

Blue Moon is my current favourite US beer but it isn't available in all drinking establishments and the alternate choice offered is Shock Top.
    The bottled varieties offers several different brews of both.
    You can pick up 12 bottles of Blue Moon here for about $15 but in Sainsburys it is £4.50 a bottle IIRC.

Journeyman
    Cracking drink, stumbled across this at a Budweiser Brewery tour in Florida the highlight of the tour.

Craftsman
    If any of you are into IPAs and find yourself in the US do yourself a favor and try Stone IPA. Best brew I've had. Small brewery in San Diego County. As for Blue Moon also good and they do sell a ton of it here in Calif.

Ted

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    As a matter of principle i refuse to drink any beer that has fruit associated with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dashiel View Post
    If any of you are into IPAs and find yourself in the US do yourself a favor and try Stone IPA. Best brew I've had. Small brewery in San Diego County. As for Blue Moon also good and they do sell a ton of it here in Calif.

Ted
    There are a few good IPAs coming from US a the mo - when in MN we usually quaff a few Summit IPA
    & sometimes Sierra Nevada - both worth a taste if you get chance.

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    There are a few good IPAs coming from US a the mo - when in MN we usually quaff a few Summit IPA
    & sometimes Sierra Nevada - both worth a taste if you get chance.

z
    Not a fan of the Blue Moon style of beer myself but IPAs are a different matter. The ones mentioned are all outstanding but probably my favorite is Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. Assuming you don't get them over in the UK do make a point to try some of them if you visit the US.

Rick

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Very nice indeed .... Annhauser Busch's "shocktop" is a reasonable wheatbeer as well
    Good call discovered this in Edmonton last week.

If you fancy a great IPA then try Punk from the Brew Dog brewery - £1.80 a bottle in Sainsburys.

David
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 12th June 2013 at 12:18.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    The trouble is I never know what to do with the orange slice!
    Put it with the umbrella.

Craftsman
    you can also try St Arnoulds or Samuel Adams :)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie. View Post
    Cracking drink, stumbled across this at a Budweiser Brewery tour in Florida the highlight of the tour.

Not possible it is brewed by Miller Coors, A-B would never let it on the property. You must have tried Shock Top which tastes about the same. BTW I work for A-B

First time I tried it they didn't tell me about the slice of orange which was a surprise! I must say though I thought it was really nice and quite different for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Nt016 View Post
    you can also try St Arnoulds or Samuel Adams :)
    sam adams has gone downhill...brewed over here now. used to be my favourite beer.
    although at least it brewed by shepard neame and not someone like scottish & newcastle!
    think i have tried this 'blue moon'...isn't it a wheat beer along the lines of hoegaarden...recall paying a fiver a pint! although as far as wheat beer goes, it is german all the way for me.

Master
    Definitely German for me, recall having the worst hangover ever after a heavy night on bottled Bud, cant even look at a bottle now!

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Definitely German for me, recall having the worst hangover ever after a heavy night on bottled Bud, cant even look at a bottle now!
    It is the rice that does that. I can only drink Bud when it is so cold that ice is starting to form then only the one.

Budweiser is beer for people who don't like beer. P**s.

Blog Entries
    American beer all tends to fall in the same category. Like making love in a canoe...It's f★★★ing close to water.

Quote Originally Posted by andy6430 View Post
    American beer all tends to fall in the same category. Like making love in a canoe...It's f★★★ing close to water.
    Not all, by an means.

Some of the genuine 'craft' brewers (eg not the brewer of Blue Moon) knock out some superb stuff. In fact I probably drink more bottled US stuff than anything else at the moment.

Some of the porters, stouts, IPAs and pale ales from the likes of Flying Dog and Rogue Guy rival anything from anywhere. Full of strength and flavour. Don't let the likes of Budweiser put you off. American brewing has undergone a real renaissance in the last few years.

Beer Hawk have a good selection of the real deal.

http://www.beerhawk.co.uk/our-beers....ountry=USA&p=1
    Last edited by Tony; 15th June 2013 at 14:54.

Our local beer is not quite rocket fuel, but it did keep the RAF flying during the war.