closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 6 Series Coupe

6 Series Coupe

Hi. I thought I'd delve in to the great knowledge bank here.

I'm just about to say yes to a petrol engines 6 Series, apart from needing to tow a fuel tanker any reason not to??

Cheers all

Mike

I absolutely love my recently acquired 2008 630i, which feels much more lithe and less nose-heavy than the 635d I ran a few years back. However, I did get a print out of the warranty claims on it (after I'd got it) which was a bit of an eye opener! I also needed a new fuel pump 4 weeks after it arrived which fortunately was covered under warranty. I don't know whether you're buying new or used but I'd suggest a warranty would be a very good idea - these are complex cars.

Master
    Had a 645 a couple of years ago, absolutely fantastic car. Not so sure about the fuel tanker though, day to day 50 mile round trip from the sticks into Belfast city centre 28mpg, on a run at decent speed 32mpg.

Never gave me a minutes bother and sounded awesome! Practical as boot is decent and the 2 kids could fit in the back albeit snugly. The only reason i got rid was living out in the sticks the roads during winter were appalling and after 2 winters where we couldnt get the rwd, 4.4 V8 auto out of the drive for weeks on end i had enough and it went for a 4x4.

In saying that it wouldnt take much to talk me back into one.

A 645csi is exactly what it is. I've read about 'winter troubles' so I'm currently researching winter wheel/tyre options.

Let's be honest 275 tyres + rear wheel drive + snow is not going to end well! :o)

Master
    I think winter tyres / wheels would be worth their weight in gold!!

The one thing that sticks in my mind is the massive grip levels, made we feel like a good driver!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb View Post
    A 645csi is exactly what it is. I've read about 'winter troubles' so I'm currently researching winter wheel/tyre options.

Let's be honest 275 tyres + rear wheel drive + snow is not going to end well! :o)
    Most cars, even 4x4s are sledges in snow without proper tyres - simple !
    It isn't just traction, it is also stopping the damned things...
    Cracking cars, only reason we got rid of our 650i was our golden retriever didn't quite approve

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Most cars, even 4x4s are sledges in snow without proper tyres - simple !
    It isn't just traction, it is also stopping the damned things...
    Cracking cars, only reason we got rid of our 650i was our golden retriever didn't quite approve
    LOL My narky-arse mongrel loves the back seat in the 6!

Which 6 series is it? Old or new shape? I'm a big fan of them, the older ones are fantastic value for money now. If the truth's known they're more reliable than the new model too.

Did so like my late 80s 635csi,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Banned
    Don't worry about the petrol enjoy the drive.

It's a late 2005 car so the early one.

Master
    I had a 650 cab for 50k miles and loved it. First up, it was THE worst car ever in the snow. Don't even try unless you put winter tyres on it really is that bad with the rear tyres acting as ice polishing machines.

I averaged 22 mpg which I thought was OK and found it to be a very reliable car. Lots of little services rather than one biggie and avoid the microfilter service which is something you can do yourself in minutes for £30 vs dealer £100.

It's a pointless barge.

Might as well get a cheaper 7 series (if that's what you want) plus 2 extra doors and more room.

Spend the money on a 335d, no need for a oil tankers and M3 performance.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    It's a pointless barge.

Having had the former and now have the latter, I'd beg to differ

It's a pointless barge.

Might as well get a cheaper 7 series (if that's what you want) plus 2 extra doors and more room.

So much wrong this post...

It's a pointless barge.

Have you driven a new M3????? I have, and I've driven the 335d, it would keep up with the old 6 cyl M3, but not a chance against the V8!

It's a pointless barge.

Bollox to that buy an M6 and kill them all do a search on you tube for the M5 (same engine) with the eisenman exhaust and I can't believe you won't drool

I ran a 635D last year for a while, one of the last made. Very nice car, up to 40 mpg, loads of toys and really quite quick. I was looking for a 335d but once I drove the 6 series, sorry no contest....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ragerover View Post
    Bollox to that buy an M6 and kill them all do a search on you tube for the M5 (same engine) with the eisenman exhaust and I can't believe you won't drool

Agreed M5/6 V10 sounds glorious and they go like stink BUT if you look at TG's test on youtube you's see that they have a truly awful flappy paddle box and are only fun when pushing out the full 504bhp - ie with the M button firmly pushed and the gearbox set on its quickest setting (which is still slow and clunky)

I had one and was getting about 9mpg. With a relatively small tank I virtually had my own pump at the local filling station. After 4 or 5 months I traded it for a (slightly) slower 335i biturbo conv. with a view to remaining solvent and retaining my licence

So 645i sounds fine I would have gone for a conv. 6 series but wanted the tin folding roof( which I have to say still amazes me after over a year of ownership)

Quite possibly the ugliest car BMW ever released, other than that, nice LOL.

Well its test drive night tonight. Went to see it yesterday but no time to drive. It immaculate, 1 owner, full history, good options (pro nav, logic7 and BT) so fingers crossed.

Have you driven a new M3????? I have, and I've driven the 335d, it would keep up with the old 6 cyl M3, but not a chance against the V8!
    I was referring to the previous M3, however its still pretty mute unless you have it de-restricted and spend all day and eveyday on the Autobaans (complete with you oil tanker in tow). Nothing like having to stick £100 of fuel in your car every 250-300 miles!!

If its just sound you are after get a V8 Merc and knock the baffles out of the exhaust.

Any its still a barge, but your money and your choice.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Apart from fuel, I always assumed that for a car of this size that tyres, brakes, insurance and road tax would mean it costs upwards of £200 per month. just to have the car sitting on your drive. I'd be interested to hear if it's otherwise.

Well my current car does about 32mpg on a run the 6 will be similar. Tax is £285 same as current car. Insurance is about £200 more. Tyres about £200/corner so a bit more expensive. I've worked for two manufacturers in technical roles so do all my own servicing. Parts may be a bit more expensive but it was a £60k car not a £35k car.

I guess it depends on what you're used to running as a car and what you want from one. If you just want a shopping runabout then it'd be a silly idea.

But then maybe no more silly than spending £7k + on a watch when a casio will do the same job.......

Ref the 335d, it's slower, it's noisier, it's far less refined. Oh and every rep in the land has a 3 series! Bmw sells more 3 series cars than Ford sell Mondeo's.

Well my current car does about 32mpg on a run the 6 will be similar. Tax is £285 same as current car. Insurance is about £200 more. Tyres about £200/corner so a bit more expensive. I've worked for two manufacturers in technical roles so do all my own servicing. Parts may be a bit more expensive but it was a £60k car not a £35k car.

I guess it depends on what you're used to running as a car and what you want from one. If you just want a shopping runabout then it'd be a silly idea.

But then maybe no more silly than spending £7k + on a watch when a casio will do the same job.......

Ref the 335d, it's slower, it's noisier, it's far less refined. Oh and every rep in the land has a 3 series! Bmw sells more 3 series cars than Ford sell Mondeo's.
    I can't argue with your logic, sir! Good luck with the test drive tonight.

Big grins all round. Just bought myself a new toy!

Slow - slightly But both are limited to 155 so we are arguing over 0-60, 0-100 times, , however in the twisties it will be quicker. I think you might find the 335 has more torque, but cannot be arsed to check.

Noiser - only from the outside. I have a 325d and you cannot tell the difference inside the car.

As for every rep - I would have thought that might be Audi, however there is a good reason, reliable, cost effective to run and good residuals. Unlike the 6 series.

But WTF I own a 911 so I know nothing

Friedrich Nietzsche

reliable, cost effective to run and good residuals
    Fortunately, I am not in a place where these are my main criteria in car purchasing. :)

Congrats mikeeb - hope it all goes well for you.

Craftsman
    Please... 335d as quick and good as M3? Even old E46 one?
    Doh.. 335d is a diesel, if you want 40mpg buy Golf 1.9TDI....

Some people prefer to go and piss up on Friday at a cost of £80, I prefer to stick it in the tank and enjoy starting up my car and driving it. Different priorities....

Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post
    Please... 335d as quick and good as M3? Even old E46 one?
    Doh.. 335d is a diesel, if you want 40mpg buy Golf 1.9TDI....

Some people prefer to go and piss up on Friday at a cost of £80, I prefer to stick it in the tank and enjoy starting up my car and driving it. Different priorities....

Perhaps this is why i have a 325d for the run to work, and a 3.6 flat six for the weekends.

Fyi the 335 comes in at around 285bhp and 400flb torque - 0-60 is around 6 seconds - pretty quick.

The E46 m3 comes in at 336bhp and 265ftlb torque 0-60 is around 5.5 seconds - so a bit quicker. Both are restricted to 155.

The 645 comes in at 338bhp with a 0-60 of 5.6 seconds (auto) or 5.4 with the smg. Again restricted to 155. So In conclusion it's 0.5 sec faster than the 335d and the same as the old E46 M3. Both of which would be long gone as soon as you hit the twisties.

The e93 m3 is 414 Bhp - nuff said!

The Op asked a question, I simply provided an alternative.

Me, I am happy with my near 290bhp, 0-60 in 5 sec and a top speed of 170+ if you have a death wish.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    Had a 645 a couple of years ago, absolutely fantastic car. Not so sure about the fuel tanker though, day to day 50 mile round trip from the sticks into Belfast city centre 28mpg, on a run at decent speed 32mpg.

Never gave me a minutes bother and sounded awesome! Practical as boot is decent and the 2 kids could fit in the back albeit snugly. The only reason i got rid was living out in the sticks the roads during winter were appalling and after 2 winters where we couldnt get the rwd, 4.4 V8 auto out of the drive for weeks on end i had enough and it went for a 4x4.

In saying that it wouldnt take much to talk me back into one.

This was the same for me, the 645 just made a beautiful noise and made me smile every time I put my foot, down an average of 28 mpg over 18 months, did everything really well. Except carrying around the dogs. A great car, you will love it.

Thanks guys. Well I pick her up in 2 weeks :o)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
    So much wrong this post...
    Yes, some people love to p**s on the dream of others. The twin turbo diesel engine is soulless in comparison to the M3 or 645. Completely different product and audience.

OP enjoy your new car, that's a lot of car for the money