timefactors watches
Page 236 of 244 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238 ... LastLast
Results 11,751 to 11,800 of 12183

Thread: What are you listening to?

Master

Apprentice
    Currently having to endure Britney Spears...my girlfriend's choice, honestly!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Nice! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Excellent! I've got most of his stuff, along with the South City Three of course.

Televsion - Marquee Moon. Great song and superb album.

Last edited by el marinero; 22nd March 2017 at 22:59.

Its been a while since Ive listened to some Stanley Clarke

Great to hear bass played this way I think

Master
    Last edited by Dapper; 25th March 2017 at 02:56.

Dean Ford (Marmalade)

This guy is better now than almost 50 years ago!......and what a life he has had

https://youtu.be/Dn9bAvWS4RU

EVEN in the crazy world of rock ’n’ roll, there can be few people who have felt the fickleness of fame and fortune more keenly. At the end of the Sixties, Dean Ford had the world at his feet. His band Marmalade were the first Scots to top the UK charts and their follow-up single was playing on radio stations nationwide.
    Success continued into the early Seventies, with a string of hit singles, a massive mansion and a beautiful wife. Ford and his bandmates watched football with Elton John, toured with The Who and were mobbed by fans around the world.
    Yet by the early Eighties the singer from Lanarkshire had lost almost everything. Drinking heavily, he was broke, rootless, estranged from his family and crazily out of control. Then, after years of fighting the demon alcohol, he dried out and began to pick up the pieces of his life. He delivered pizza and flowers, and worked as a chauffeur with a Los Angeles limo company – driving stars such as Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan and Susan Sarandon, yet never revealing his own celebrity past.
    Today, the man whose song Reflections Of My Life has sold more than two million copies has been living off benefits and dwindling royalties from his back catalogue – but at 69 is making a comeback as a musician.
    ‘The only thing that spoiled my life was alcohol,’ reflects Ford, who once topped the charts with a cover of The Beatles’ Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, featuring the cheerful refrain that ‘life goes on’.
    ‘There’s no one else to blame but me. If I could go back in time, knowing what I do now, I’d say to my young self: “Stop drinking, now!”.’
    Born Thomas McAleese in Airdrie, and raised by his parents Thomas senior and Elizabeth in neighbouring Coatbridge, he recalls: ‘When I was very young, my mother was bathing me in a sink – we had no bathtub – and I was singing a nursery rhyme. She was so amazed that she went next door and told a neighbour.
    ‘When my Dad went for a haircut, he’d get me to sing for the people in the salon, but I was too shy to do that in front of them – so I had to go into a broom cupboard to sing. I got rid of my shyness when I started singing with bands.’
    On leaving Clifton High School in Coatbridge at 16, he joined local group The Cravats: ‘They were all older than me, and took me to the pub and sat me in a corner. That’s when I started drinking. That’s when I got the bad habit.
    ‘I drank because I liked to drink, it was as simple as that, and everyone in the band drank at that point.’
    Next came The Reigning Monarchs, then The Gaylords in 1963, when Thomas McAleese changed his name to Dean Ford: ‘They had been known as Tommy Scott and The Gaylords, but they got rid of the singer because his voice was cracking up, and when I joined they said: “You need a name to go in front of the group.”
    ‘I thought about Dean Martin and Tennessee Ernie Ford (who had a massive hit with Sixteen Tons), and put them together. My mother always called me Tom and I’m still registered as Thomas McAleese on my driving licence and social security card, but I’m Dean Ford when I write and perform songs.’
    In 1966, on getting a contract with CBS, the band changed its name to Marmalade: ‘I think our manager got the name from sitting at his breakfast table, thinking it was memorable!’
    For a while, the band’s drum-kit used the golliwog symbol of Paisley-founded marmalade manufacturers Robertsons: ‘I hated that, and I think there was some kind of court case over it, but it never came to anything. You’d never get away with that now – it would be considered racist.’
    I See The Rain, an early Marmalade number co-written by Ford and coproduced by the Hollies’ Graham Nash, was praised by Jimi Hendrix as ‘the best cut of 1967’ and went to No.1 in the Netherlands, although it flopped in the UK.
    Bumping into the walls, falling down drunk... a pint of whisky and then bed
    Their hits began the following year, with Ob La Di, which The Beatles were not releasing as a single: ‘Because we were Marmalade, we added, “and if you want some jam…” in the very last line.
    ‘That song wasn’t something we were really proud of, but it became No.1 and we performed it on Top Of The Pops wearing kilts.’
    Ford is more proud of Reflections Of My Life, which he co-wrote, and Marmalade’s tours with The Who and Traffic, and Joe Cocker and Gene Pitney. He also enjoyed duetting with Bobbie Gentry on TV, and watching the FA Cup Final on TV at Elton John’s Berkshire mansion.
    ‘We sat and watched it on a big screen,’ he recalls. ‘One room in his house had stuff from his performances, including the giant boots he wore in Tommy. Elton told us how he once played table-tennis with Princess Margaret. Although we never made it to his status, we had hit records before he did, and I think he was a fan of the group at the time.
    ‘One night on tour with The Who, I went to a bar in Liverpool with Keith Moon, John Entwhistle and Peter Frampton. A local group was performing, and Keith wanted to go up and play – but the drummer recognised him and said: “He’s not playing with my drum-kit!” There were a lot of stories about Keith... but thank God he was here for the short time he was, shaking things up.
    ‘Gene Pitney was the only guy who wore a suit when we toured with him. We used to just wear tie-dyed teeshirts all the time. One night, Gene took Joe Cocker into his dressing-room to show him all his suits and said: “Look, this is how a star dresses...” and tried to convince him to wear a suit. In Joe Cocker’s dressing-room, all the guys were smoking dope, and I’d take a few puffs myself. The dressing-room was below the stage, and you could see the smoke coming up through the floorboards when other people were performing.
    ‘But I really wasn’t into drugs. I was taking some drugs, but not really heavy stuff. I was more of an alcohol guy.’
    Ford clearly has mixed feelings about success: ‘When you’re No.1 and you walk down the street, people recognise you and you have to stop and sign autographs. It’s part of the game and you have to accept it, but after a while it gets annoying. But you get money with it, too.
    ‘We started buying houses, and I bought a nice one in Hampstead Garden Suburb for about £12,500. But I ended up having to sell that house and move on. As a drinker, I spent a lot of money on alcohol. And drinking took me away from what I should have been doing.’
    Ford was married from 1968 until 1973, and his ex-wife lives in New York, while their daughter Tracy lives in New Jersey. His relationship with Marmalade also ended in 1973, after he dropped the band’s hits from their live shows in the vain hope of reinventing their image.
    A solo album recorded at Abbey Road studios failed to chart and Ford was dropped by EMI: ‘I don’t think I really thought about it at the time because I was drinking too much... I brought all on myself.

Apprentice
    Kurt Cobain

Apprentice
    (come as you are)

AC/DC Live
    Andy

Journeyman
    Return to Ommadawn

______

​Jim.

Last edited by magirus; 8th April 2017 at 10:41.

Master

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Going to see AFL (for the umpteenth time) in June...

Currently listening to:

...which will be followed by:

______

​Jim.

Last edited by magirus; 18th April 2017 at 20:05.

Master

Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." For those too young to remember, the Edmund Fitzgerald was a huge freighter ship that transported iron ore from northern Minnesota mines to iron works in the Detroit area. It sunk on Lake Superior in November of 1975 with all 29 crew as early winter gale winds produced 35-foot waves that pulled it down 530 feet to the lake bottom. Lightfoot memorialized the tragedy with his 1976 song.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Its been a while since Ive listened to some Stanley Clarke

Great to hear bass played this way I think

Are you a fellow bassist? I saw Stanley play in London last year - absolutely fantastic!

New song form Roger Waters.

Master

If you like anything sixties-ish, bluesy-ish, psychedelic-ish may I recommend a fantastic band, DeWolff, some of our Dutch friends who have successfully and skillfully channelled the sounds from a by-gone era to now.

https://youtu.be/m7aTZmgUfm4?t=13m4s

It helps if you know the words to this Pete Seeger classic (or you can speak German...) you can feel the emotion that Ms Dietrich puts into one of her favourite songs though
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAxbQxyJSQ
    Last edited by GOAT; 26th April 2017 at 23:06.

AVDACES FORTVNA IVVAT

AVDACES FORTVNA IVVAT

Sweet dreams.

Last edited by VDG; 29th April 2017 at 01:52.
    AVDACES FORTVNA IVVAT

Craftsman

What are you listening to?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ydrzBGkEc

Blood, Sweat & Tears at their finest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would suit a rainy Wednesday morning better than a rare high-quality live recording of Child in Time?

I started with this:

...which led me to this:

______

​Jim.

Master

Slightly NSFW . . .

DeWolff - "Black Cat Woman" @ Moulin Blues Ospel 2016

Craftsman
    Carly Simon after the Classic Album programme on Saturday. Once again, talent shone out not only from the artist but her band and the engineer and producer.

Ninja Cuts - Flexistentialism

https://open.spotify.com/album/0bp3A5rpd0aomRTUCuU9ZP

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app