closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Should It Stay or Should It Go?

Master

Should It Stay or Should It Go?

First of all, this is NOT a stealth SC post! If I wanted to list it in SC just now, I would. This is more about general consensus & opinion...

I have a GMT IIc which I bought new in 2010. In fact, the first one I had was faulty, so this one was sent as a brand new replacement directly from Rolex HQ.

I wore it every day for 2 years, but I never really felt any true love for it.

I have recently gone back to my beloved Breitlings, which I am far happier with, and my intention was to sell the GMT IIc on SC.

However, I know that I will never be able to buy another one for anywhere near what I paid for this one (not that I want another, but I am worried about sellers remorse...).

I wasnt too worried about selling it until the missus somewhat suprisingly said "dont sell it - why dont you just keep it in the safe, "just in case""!

Also my dad said the whole "Rolex is all about the Prestige - I'd keep it!" thing, which I normally dont bother about, but dad-advice is usually good!

I dont need to free up the cash, but I am very risk averse, so it bugs me having £££ tied up in something which is just sat in my safe, in used condition... what if SC disappeared... what if it stops and I need to service it (eating into my "profit" if & when I sell it).

I am not a serial flipper (despite some recent buys & sells), and I am very happy with my cuirrent two Breitlings - they fit all my needs and I truly love them.

It's the first time I've agonised over a watch before.

Presumably this isn't an uncommon situation, so how do the rest of you guys rationalise these sorts of situations?

Personally I just sell what I don't wear. And I certainly never stress about watches.

dont need the money? keep it!
    you can always turn it over when you need a new watch or money, probably for more than you paid too, so alls good!

If you did sell it now how long before the moneys spent and nothing to show for it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garman View Post
    If you did sell it now how long before the moneys spent and nothing to show for it?
    Agree - at least I have a ROlex to hold and look at (and occasionally wear, maybe), but the money soon gets lost in the bank account, and frittered away on bills etc...

Hmmm I just feel selfish and irrational having such an amount tied up in a watch that wont be worn, though it probably holds more value than the equivalent amount in a bank!

If you don't need the money for other things or possibly a new watch I'd keep it, you obviously aren't sure. Maybe try and trade it for something you do prefer as your watch is very desirable and I'm sure there are many on here who'd love to own a GMT or swop it.

Is there any watch you'd quite like to own that you don't have thats the same value as the GMT ?

Hmm,

im having similar feelings about a rolex and all because i want some more breitling (s)

I have a 42mm explorer, and a rolex is something i have aspired to own since i was a child. I love owning one but i fear i enjoy owning it more than i enjoy wearing it. It is so small!

I keep thinking i will chop it in and buy the breitling i really want (navitimer world) but feel like i will miss having the rolex so dont know what to do.

i think in the grand scheme i am going to keep the rolex so i suppose my advice would be to keep yours but i may revisit this advice if i finally decide to chop in the explorer (which i think is getting more and more likely the less and less often i choose to wear it!)

I chopped in my GMT2c in 2011 when I needed the cash and while I didn't miss it for a while I started to about a year ago and ended up buying an Explorer 2 42mm earlier this year. I paid about £3,600 for the GMT but the price now is about £2k higher and I just couldn't justify spending that on the same watch I'd already bought before at a much lower price.

Why not hang onto it just in case your tastes change?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I can relate big time ...... I'm in the process of downsizing my collection and have a few Rolexes (12!!!!). My thinking on my reduced collection (from 40) is that the bulk of what I have left will be Rolex (3 or 4) but I'm looking at the 8 or so that are going to have to go, and thinking that I really don't want to sell them, but it's silly having them when I could reduce my mortgage, replace my long gone e46 M3 (these are bargain basement cars nowadays) or use my ISA allowance with the money.

I have other watches that I feel equally bonded to, but I really have to be firm to address this silly watch fetish. All I need is a couple (and a few Casios.....). To some extent I'm treating the whole exercise like ripping off a plaster - just do it......

So my vote is to SELL.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepsteeth View Post
    Hmm,

im having similar feelings about a rolex and all because i want some more breitling (s)

I have a 42mm explorer, and a rolex is something i have aspired to own since i was a child. I love owning one but i fear i enjoy owning it more than i enjoy wearing it. It is so small!

I keep thinking i will chop it in and buy the breitling i really want (navitimer world) but feel like i will miss having the rolex so dont know what to do.

i think in the grand scheme i am going to keep the rolex so i suppose my advice would be to keep yours but i may revisit this advice if i finally decide to chop in the explorer (which i think is getting more and more likely the less and less often i choose to wear it!)
    For both yourself and the Op it has to be a personal decision.......however I would trade or sell the Rolex and buy the Breitling you would both seem to prefer. I would be much happier with the watch I wanted on my wrist. It seems wrong to me to have a watch you will never use locked away in a safe 'just in case' or because of perceived value.......but then I'll never be rich either

Banned
    Take a big step towards Rolex freedom and sell it, TBH just to have it is a false sense of appreciation. Rolex are 10 a penny in the real world and nobody gives a second look not that you want them to, go for something that you really want, not what you feel you should have.
    Last edited by Fords; 31st May 2013 at 12:23.

Journeyman
    Swap it for a explorer II or SND

It's just a watch...
    I think if you've been trying to like it for 2 years and it still hasn't happened, then you should sell it. It's not about "not needing the cash" either, it's about preparing for when you really do see something you like.

Master
    you are going to get nothing in bank interest at the moment, so keep it for now and see how you feel in a year.

Journeyman
    If it has no sentimental value then trade it for something you will wear. If you got a great deal on it then you should manage to get that reflected in the deal you negotiate.

If it has sentimental value and you don't need the money then keep it in the safe, it'll be more secure than having the money in the bank!

Having the same thoughts/problem with my SD ,do i, don't i .........aarrgghh

Master
    It has no sentimental value at all.

I bought my two perfect Breitlings with every intention of selling the Rolex to finance them, but now I have the Breitlings I have stalled on selling the Rolex!

However, I get a feeling when I look at my Breitlings (Black Skyland 2009, Yellow Seawolf 2012) that I never get with any other watch - I truly love them and I feel that internal "smile" when I look at them - every time. I am absolutely happy with them as my daily wearers, and just dont have the room or need for any more pieces...

I was going to say keep it if you don't need the cash but as was mentioned above, what if something you really want pops up on SC and you don't have the funds for it.

Sell it, put the cash to one side and wait.....and wait

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    It seems wrong to me to have a watch you will never use locked away in a safe 'just in case' or because of perceived value.......but then I'll never be rich either
    "perceived value" (and "kudos") seems to be my real reason for hanging onto it, I suppose. The Kudos is an odd one, because in 2 years the watch wasnt noticed once by anyone (though I wear my watches discretely), so the "kudos" is as perceived as the value, I think!!

Sell/Trade for something you WILL wear. My opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    I was going to say keep it if you don't need the cash but as was mentioned above, what if something you really want pops up on SC and you don't have the funds for it.

Sell it, put the cash to one side and wait.....and wait
    Perfect suggestion IMO.

Grand Master
    It'll hold it's value or maybe go up a little.....either way it's eating nowt so I`d keep it.

As for Breitling........can`t imagine owning a Rolex and going back to a Breitling. Definitely not my favourite watch, big brash clumsy things that never look appealing to me. Can`t fault the quality, though.

Unless you need the money I would keep the Rolex, without a doubt. Maybe you've got a bit bored because you've owned it 2 years.

Paul

Journeyman
    Oh for such a 'problem' :)

Journeyman
    Sell it and invest in Gold... Oh hang on

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Keep it, and wear it. Force yourself, its 10 times the watch any Breitling could ever manage, (IMHO) but more importantly its appreciating.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
    Sell it and invest in Gold... Oh hang on
    A gold Rolex?!

Blog Entries
    If I like a watch that I don't wear much, I keep it.
    If I don't wear it because I don't like it, out she goes............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

+ one on the above, or trade for something different, maybe another Breitling?

I've held onto watches before because I thought I should keep them, even if I didn't have the love for them. They always end up going eventually...

Journeyman
    Daddel and nitsy speak the truth. If you don't ditch it now, you will end up getting rid of it later regardless.

I've had a similar dilema in recent weeks also with a 2010 GMT2d. Not because I don't love my watch, but because I bought mine used and (perhaps stupidly) I want a watch that I am the first and only owner of (plus I'm loving the Hulk at the moment).

Mine came back from Rolex warranty work recently with 2yrs guantee and looking like new as well, so sort of a perfect time to move on it you get me.

Good luck with your decision. Will follow this with interest.

If your not worried about the money then keep it for investment as they only seem to be going one way, I have a BMW E30 M3, a few years ago it was £5-6000 max now its pushing £20,000. Its nice to use and enjoy but even more satisfying that it is increasing in value.

Master
    If you don't need the money, I would simply hang on to it. I brought my TT GMTc for £4400 in 2008. I didn't wear it often enough and sold it do I regret it YES I do. Simply as it will cost me an extra £2,000+ for the same watch. Prices only go one way and that is up, so

Journeyman
    I would go with your Dad advice

If you dont need the money for anything in particular keep the Rolex. Your money is safer tied up in a Rolex than in the deposits of a bank in my opinion.
    If you sell later you wont have lost any money in the meantime by keeping it. Tastes do change and you may grow back to it.....never works for women though in my experience. Maybe watches are different!