closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: hiking watch

hiking watch

Hi Guys,

any suggestions for a hiking watch (compass, timer etc) that suitable for a woman?

Bully

How about a Tissot t-touch?

There must be a gshock that fits the bill!

Journeyman
    Something by Suunto

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Seiko ´contra´.

Master
    G-Shock (ProTrek series) must be the best option?

Master
    A Suunto Ambit or Garmin Fenix will do the lot, including GPS route guidance and recording your trip to view back later on Strava etc. Both are big watches though so she may look a bit daft wearing it when not hiking.
    Last edited by benny.c; 30th May 2013 at 15:47.

thanks chaps

I recently got a chance to play with friends Ambit. Didn't really check everything it can do but the GPS feature at least is super cool

went hiking with fellow TZer JC180 on Sunday - up Bowfell in the Lake District...... sensible me had an old beat up G Shock ....JC comes along with a minty Omega PO Ceramic.... he needed some convincing that he should leave it safely locked in the car. Think he was glad he did !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foucault717 View Post
    I recently got a chance to play with friends Ambit. Didn't really check everything it can do but the GPS feature at least is super cool
    I use mine for route guidance on my bike when doing longer rides if I'm not familiar with the area. It's a great bit of kit.

Suunto?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    went hiking with fellow TZer JC180 on Sunday - up Bowfell in the Lake District...... sensible me had an old beat up G Shock ....JC comes along with a minty Omega PO Ceramic.... he needed some convincing that he should leave it safely locked in the car. Think he was glad he did !
    I'm not sure I'd leave anything of value in an unattended car?

No mention of budget, so I'm going all out - Linde Werdelin 'The Rock' instrument, with an Oktopus to stick it on. Job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I'm not sure I'd leave anything of value in an unattended car?
    car park at the New Dungeon Ghyll; National Trust man in attendance; watch locked away in secret hiding place ......a much safer bet than the inevitable dinks and scratches that would have ensued had it been worn !

Quote Originally Posted by sepsonto View Post
    No mention of budget, so I'm going all out - Linde Werdelin 'The Rock' instrument, with an Oktopus to stick it on. Job done.
    I was just about to suggest the same. Go for the titanium Spidolite II version if weight is an issue :-)

Master
    A Suunto Core is tough enough, cheap and you won't care when you scrape the strap/buckle on stone walls/slopes, but they're a bit big for me so will be pretty massive on most women.
    The coin-cell self-change battery facility is a major plus (since you can put in a fresh one just before you leave on your multi-day trip and it won't run out) and the illumination's nice.
    The compass is fairly OK for basic use as long as you're careful: it's handy for checking, say, which path to take in a dense forest on a cloudy day, but you wouldn't want to try taking back-bearings with it.

Master
    I use a Garmin Fenix for all my walking in the Lake District but its £350 and its big but comfy.

Big fan of Casio ProTrek. Solar, Radio, Altitude. Pretty indestructible and cheap - well, relatively to many others.

i have 3 "hiking" watches:

casio protrek - altitude, barometer and compass

suunto core - as above but different styling and lower water resistance but lighter and probably the most common watch manufacturer on the wrists of the people i work with

suunto x10m - as above but with a full compliment of GPS features.

I wouldnt bother with another GPS watch, too big, too battery thirsty and too fiddly to use in real life for anything more than tracking distance covered. if you wanted a GPS, get an proper one and spend the rest on a proper watch.

i really like the core, it is very light, works really well and as watches like that go, it looks okay-ish.

As long as you are are following a track on a map, the altimeter is a brilliant way to help navigate as it can pin point your location if you check it against the contours of the map.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Big fan of Casio ProTrek. Solar, Radio, Altitude. Pretty indestructible and cheap - well, relatively to many others.
    Yes, that's what I use walking in the Pennines and it does the job well. Solar too.

PRW-2000T if you want a model number.
    Last edited by Newbear; 30th May 2013 at 20:06.

cheers again guys, looks like the suunto core might be the one.

bully

Another vote for Suunto from me.

I think this Core Alu White looks a bit ladylike.
    http://www.suunto.com/corealupurewhite/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Keke View Post
    I think this Core Alu White looks a bit ladylike.
    http://www.suunto.com/corealupurewhite/
    ...although it is 49mm including pushers! I do agree with you, though: I think it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    ...although it is 49mm including pushers! I do agree with you, though: I think it looks good.
    Yes, it does look good. I saw it in flesh at local outdoor store and it looked better live than in pictures. Imho, white strap makes it a bit ladylike but I reckon that black strap would give it a whole different look.

About Suunto Core, If you get a model with the other strap option (pic below, also the white one in above post) you can use those lug addons independently and use most normal 3rd party straps like leathers or NATOs. The standard Core strap doesn't have these lugs but is sort of integrated into the case, being still removable ofc.

Last edited by Foucault717; 31st May 2013 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    G-Shock (ProTrek series) must be the best option?
    I'd agree and there are plenty of tough solar options

I have recently acquired a Suunto Core for that purpose.

Craftsman
    Most of ABC watches would be too big for women, but a Suunto Lumi would be just the right size.

Craftsman
    I'd suggest an explorer since...well...the clue is in the name hehe :D