closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Seiko Monster (specifically, the SRP315K1)‏

Master

New Seiko Monster (specifically, the SRP315K1)‏

I was looking for a new Seiko and bought myself an SKX007 which I thought would do it for me. I was wrong and will probably get around to listing it on SC at some point.

My thoughts then turned to a new Monster as I've really fancied one since the first photos were released.

There are a number of options when it comes to the new Monster and my initial thoughts were to go for a subtle one. I then saw this one - a black bezel and chapter ring over an orange dial (SRP315K1).

In the pics, I was worried it may be a little OTT, but in your hands, it's absolutely spot on.

As with all of them, it's water resistant to 200m, features a unidirectional bezel (which smoothly rotates), screw-down crown with criss-cross grip (a nice improvement over the original Monster as it's easier to use and more toolish - especially in black as it is on this model), and a day/date display. Mine's on the rubber strap but I may try it on a bracelet at some point.

It's 43mm case should make it big and cumbersome but lug to lug only makes it around 47mm so it's not massive. On the rubber, it's comfy and not what I'd describe as heavy (I don't have scales to give you an accurate weight).

The dial may be a bit fussy for some, but for me, it's a cracker. Triangle indices with bright and long-lasting lume - which is applied to the hands as well as markers - offer a nice contrast against the orange and black.

You'll have to excuse the non-techy approach to my review of the movement itself, but this is the second 4R36 I've had, and my limited experience is of a gem of a movement. For those who don't know, it is a hacking movement with handwindability (I know that's not a word, but I think it should be).

For those who likes stats, the 4R36 is, according to the blurb, a 24 jewel movement which runs at 21,600 vph with a power reserve of 41 hours. Winding is smooth and the crown is easy to operate.

The rubber strap is nicer than the Z22 of the 007 (more supple), although if you have small wrists, it's going to be LONG for every day use.

I have or have had a lot of Seiko's over the years and all in all, I think it's one of Seiko's greats.

The only negative thing this one's made me realise is that I have two other orange watches which are potentially obsolete now!

Excuse the cruddy pictures - I'm no Learningtofly!
    Last edited by Tahiti; 14th July 2013 at 12:23. Reason: added a better lume shot

Craftsman
    I have one on order it ticks a lot of boxes for me!

Master
    It ticks a large number of boxes and for those who like something more plain, there's always the SRP307.

Journeyman
    I can see this forum is going to cost me big time.That`s two on my list now.Spork now this one----- Fab. Terry

Journeyman
    got an OM here and i do like the look of the rubber strap

may invest in one

looking good by the way like the new teeth time markers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    got an OM here and i do like the look of the rubber strap
    It's a very versatile watch because of the drilled lugs. And it also looks good on most rubber straps, nato, metal bracelets or even leather straps if you're into that sort of thing.

Journeyman

Good to know , good post

Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
    It's a very versatile watch because of the drilled lugs. And it also looks good on most rubber straps, nato, metal bracelets or even leather straps if you're into that sort of thing.
    Good to know good post ..

Journeyman

Nice watch

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I was looking for a new Seiko and bought myself an SKX007 which I thought would do it for me. I was wrong and will probably get around to listing it on SC at some point.

My thoughts then turned to a new Monster as I've really fancied one since the first photos were released.

There are a number of options when it comes to the new Monster and my initial thoughts were to go for a subtle one. I then saw this one - a black bezel and chapter ring over an orange dial (SRP315K1).

In the pics, I was worried it may be a little OTT, but in your hands, it's absolutely spot on.

As with all of them, it's water resistant to 200m, features a unidirectional bezel (which smoothly rotates), screw-down crown with criss-cross grip (a nice improvement over the original Monster as it's easier to use and more toolish - especially in black as it is on this model), and a day/date display. Mine's on the rubber strap but I may try it on a bracelet at some point.

It's 43mm case should make it big and cumbersome but lug to lug only makes it around 47mm so it's not massive. On the rubber, it's comfy and not what I'd describe as heavy (I don't have scales to give you an accurate weight).

The dial may be a bit fussy for some, but for me, it's a cracker. Triangle indices with bright and long-lasting lume - which is applied to the hands as well as markers - offer a nice contrast against the orange and black.

You'll have to excuse the non-techy approach to my review of the movement itself, but this is the second 4R36 I've had, and my limited experience is of a gem of a movement. For those who don't know, it is a hacking movement with handwindability (I know that's not a word, but I think it should be).

For those who likes stats, the 4R36 is, according to the blurb, a 24 jewel movement which runs at 21,600 vph with a power reserve of 41 hours. Winding is smooth and the crown is easy to operate.

The rubber strap is nicer than the Z22 of the 007 (more supple), although if you have small wrists, it's going to be LONG for every day use.

I have or have had a lot of Seiko's over the years and all in all, I think it's one of Seiko's greats.

The only negative thing this one's made me realise is that I have two other orange watches which are potentially obsolete now!

Excuse the cruddy pictures - I'm no Learningtofly!
    Nice watch good to know

Master
    Edited to add a better lume shot picture.

Apprentice
    Very nice Monster II.

I have an OM on SS and it fair dinkum glows like a torch. It is the watch to which I compare the lume on all others, and you might be surprised at how often (much) more expensive watches don't come up to scratch in the lume department. Were it not for the sus bracelet clasp on mine (which I intend to replace with an MM clasp to fix the problem once and for all), this is a watch that deserves a lot of wrist time and is a lot of watch for the money.

Your SRP315K1 is a nice combo, and it looks great on rubber.

Master
    Thanks. I am typically a bracelet man though and keep toying with the idea of a bit of metal around the wrist.

The lume's great (as many Seiko's are) and your comment about much more expensive pieces is a fair comment in many cases.

Apprentice
    really very nice!

Craftsman
    I picked up one about 2 months ago and have it on a black NATO which works well ,my only criticism is a little hard to read sometimes a full orange would be better for me as my eyes are not great.Apart from that I really like it the rotating bezel is really useful for me as a Gas Engineer and parking! Great value for money and keeps good enough time for me.

Apprentice
    It's really nice watch ;-)

Journeyman
    Something about the watch just screams cheap and cool at the same time. Guess I need to see it in person. And, I am a big Seiko fan.

Master
    That made me laugh.

It's an odd one - it really works for me and feels well built, but I understand entirely what you mean when judging from pictures.

Master
    I sourced a brand new bracelet for it (thanks Karl).

After a fair bit of "patience" this morning, I managed to size it properly, and the result is a completely different look and feel to the watch...

Well there you go. I prefer it on the bracelet, and considering how smitten I was before fitting the bracelet, that says a lot.

Master
    Well it appears one bracelet was not enough (apologies for the quick shots - the light had gone by the time I was ready to take the pictures...).

As an aside, I've had PM's asking about the lug size. It's 20mm, but as you can see from the earlier post, the Monster bracelet has an overhang for want of a better description which makes it appear wider.

As an aside, the drilled lugs make it a piece of cake to swap straps.

Looks really interesting. I had a bm and om, still owns the om. I may consider the new bm but the red on the second hand is not really my taste.

Master
    This version looks great. I've just ordered the more conservative black one myself and whilst awaiting its arrival I've been having a look at different strap/bracelet options.

I've spotted this PU bracelet which I'm considering trying and thought it would look great on your version
    http://www.watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb/diverPop/sl2.html

Master
    The PU bracelet is interesting. I am really enjoying it on the original Monster bracelet at the moment though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    This version looks great. I've just ordered the more conservative black one myself and whilst awaiting its arrival I've been having a look at different strap/bracelet options.

I've spotted this PU bracelet which I'm considering trying and thought it would look great on your version
    http://www.watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb/diverPop/sl2.html
    Did you ever try the bracelet out of curiosity?

Very nice piece. I wonder how it would look with an orange band. Bit too much??

Master
    It would, I guess, prove a little harder to read but could work.

Master
    Agreed looks better on the bracelet .. on strap it's a shade OTT (IMHO).

Attractive in my opinion, with a good reliable movement as with most Seiko's

Master
    I haven't worn it in ages but my preference is the monster bracelet for looks and feel.

The other bracelet is a little different. The rubber, although it's the original fitted from new, has not been worn other than for the photo if memory serves me right - thanks to sourcing the monster bracelet.

I have tried it on NATOs too but none have jumped out.

The movement is much better to my mind than the original monsters one.