timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega SHOM inbound

Grand Master

Omega SHOM inbound

Next inbound the Omega ''SHOM''

Pic's removed

sorry Dunc the pics were great.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 15th May 2013 at 13:12.

Ooh, chunky

Craftsman
    Lovely photos of a cracking watch!

If only I could make such pictures. A very nice watch: still on my wish list!

One of my favourite looking watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Congarts on the Omega SHOM here are a few shot's of mine just started using the ISO strap on mine.

Congrats. It indeed is a great looking watch.

Craftsman
    Very clean looking and look to be in excellent condition....love it on the Isofrane

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

omega

hi

like the watch but not sure i rate the cal 1012 movement not omegas finest in my opinion

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    hi

like the watch but not sure i rate the cal 1012 movement not omegas finest in my opinion
    Well Taz as much as you might not like the 1012 movement that Omega in their wisdom decided to fit into the ''SHOM'' without your approval! is the one they fitted anyway.

Unless you prefer the 1011 chronometer version of the 101x series.But were 1011's ever placed into the SHOM ? I can only find right hand version with cal 1012 & left hand cal 1002.

So even if your not a fan of the movement Taz it's what was in the watch.

I have no qualms about an Omega Cal 1012 in my next inbound.

Just out of curiosity Taz which movement would you like in the SHOM?,Maybe something out of a PP LOL.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 15th May 2013 at 11:04.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    LOL. Not sure Paul can, either. Those are my pictures taken years ago.

Hi Dunc

Small world hey and great pics Dunc.

hope you don't mind.

Paul

ps:-I was gonna post this first lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=omeg...w=1366&bih=681
    Last edited by P9CLY; 15th May 2013 at 11:06.

Craftsman
    Thats nice to have the paper work on it. Very interesting

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

cal 1012

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Well Taz as much as you might not like the 1012 movement that Omega in their wisdom decided to fit into the ''SHOM'' without your approval! is the one they fitted anyway.

Unless you prefer the 1011 chronometer version of the 101x series.But were 1011's ever placed into the SHOM ? I can only find right hand version with cal 1012 & left hand cal 1002.

So even if your not a fan of the movement Taz it's what was in the watch.

I have no qualms about an Omega Cal 1012 in my next inbound.

Just out of curiosity Taz which movement would you like in the SHOM?,Maybe something out of a PP LOL.

Paul i would like to see the cal 565 as the movement in this if omega decides to seek my approval lol, i had bad experiences with the 1012 in the past which turn out a nightmare to repair, the balance wheel had failed on mine

hi

Would be interested to hear your reasons for thinking this.

From what I have read the only reasons for dissing the 1012 seem to be because its just not as pretty as other Omega movements. For me its a good solid workhorse movement, to be used in watches without see-through casebacks, so its looks are largely irrelevant.

Paul, heres some more pics of some 70's loveliness, just to keep ya go'in.....

Really nice watch

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    Paul, heres some more pics of some 70's loveliness, just to keep ya go'in.....

And WOW what pics they are too,thanks.

Its on it's way to me.

Grand Master
    Paul i would like to see the cal 565 as the movement in this if omega decides to seek my approval lol, i had bad experiences with the 1012 in the past which turn out a nightmare to repair, the balance wheel had failed on mine

So all that's required is to have it fixed!.

I would like to see a Porsche engine in my Yaris, but Yaris don't fit Porsche engines.

What watch was your cal 1012 in Taz? and what were the problems you had?,and who did the repair work for you?,can you let me know as I'm also in Bradford and it would be nice to use the same guy if mine were to no longer tick.

Can you let all here on TZ have his contact No please, I assume he is a watch repairer working from a business address {or not},always good to know a watch repairer hey.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

cal 1012

So all that's required is to have it fixed!.

I would like to see a Porsche engine in my Yaris, but Yaris don't fit Porsche engines.

What watch was your cal 1012 in Taz? and what were the problems you had?,and who did the repair work for you?,can you let me know as I'm also in Bradford and it would be nice to use the same guy if mine were to no longer tick.

Can you let all here on TZ have his contact No please, I assume he is a watch repairer working from a business address {or not},always good to know a watch repairer hey.
    Paul I agree with you, the watchmaker has retired last year and was based in plymoth

Grand Master
    Paul I agree with you, the watchmaker has retired last year and was based in plymoth
    Ah my guess was he might be someone not available!.

And almost as far South as you could get from Bradford.

By the way, who do you use to fix your watches now Taz?.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 15th May 2013 at 13:01.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    Paul, if you're not going to put an image credit link in your OP then please remove the pics.
    Ok Dunc pics removed.

Paul, it's on its way to you:

here the pics of the actual watch..

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Paul, it's on its way to you:

here the pics of the actual watch..

Thanks very much indeed Serge.

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post

Well, thats the best image I have seen on here in a VERY long time!

Craftsman
    That looks terrific.

Sorry if I missed it, but does anybody have a reference for this?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    That looks terrific.

Sorry if I missed it, but does anybody have a reference for this?
    Here ya go

Omega SM 200 166.0177

The Omega Seamaster 200m ''SHOM'' diver's automatic was developed and tested for the French Service Hydrografique et Oceanografique de la Marine (SHOM) in the early 1970's.

Here ya go

Omega SM 200 166.0177

The Omega Seamaster 200m ''SHOM'' diver's automatic was developed and tested for the French Service Hydrografique et Oceanografique de la Marine (SHOM) in the early 1970's.
    I bought a original vintage one not a watchco version. And really hoped that story was true. And I had to jump through some hoops to get the Omega Extrac on the history of mine. Being in the USA us in the USA can't order a extrac so a friend from England got it for me. As you see it's civilian and if you look on the net not one Omega SHOM with a Omega extrac saying sold to the Fench Govt or one with decom paper's that French military watches are known for so far I have not seen a paper trail some time's I think it's a myth like a fish story were the fish get's BIGGER every time the story is told. I think it's just a civilian watch that just did not take off and that's why not many vintage one's out there but a lot of parts so these watchco one's have been comming up for sell the last few years. Dam I wish some one could prove the story true but so far I seen nothing on the net except this story when some one tries to sell a SHOM.

Craftsman
    Here ya go

Omega SM 200 166.0177

Thanks for that. I'll have to keep an eye open for one!

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I bought a original vintage one not a watchco version. And really hoped that story was true. And I had to jump through some hoops to get the Omega Extrac on the history of mine. Being in the USA us in the USA can't order a extrac so a friend from England got it for me. As you see it's civilian and if you look on the net not one Omega SHOM with a Omega extrac saying sold to the Fench Govt or one with decom paper's that French military watches are known for so far I have not seen a paper trail some time's I think it's a myth like a fish story were the fish get's BIGGER every time the story is told. I think it's just a civilian watch that just did not take off and that's why not many vintage one's out there but a lot of parts so these watchco one's have been comming up for sell the last few years. Dam I wish some one could prove the story true but so far I seen nothing on the net except this story when some one tries to sell a SHOM.
    I must admit I came to the same conclusion some time ago.

Like you say you can find Tudors with French decom papers and markings but I have seen no actual "SHOM's".

The only ones you seem to see now are in fact Watchco bitsa's.

I think it is a nice appellation people add to make a watch more saleable rather like Rolex Tudor and Sicura Breitling.

I would be happy to be proved wrong though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    I think for the most part we/me buy a watch because we actually like it for whatever the reason.I suppose it's a bonus if that particular watch has some specific story or history or attachment to something that adds to the over all appeal which could be numerous things, ie was it owned by a celeb,was it used in a specific military situation the list can go on and on in that respect and of course it may only be of any relevance to the buyer and yet be of no interest to anyone else!,and yet it will forever and a day be advertised with that ''unique'' attachment hoping to attract another buyer that likes the sound of it.
    I accept that some watches will have great appeal and hold equally as great value because of all the above.
    So the ''SHOM'' was or possibly wasn't commissioned by the French for a specific use,well it seems no one on here knows the answer hey,but what will that matter to me when I'm looking at the watch on my wrist and I think wow what a cracking watch that is.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Congarts on the Omega SHOM here are a few shot's of mine just started using the ISO strap on mine.

What a beauty!!

70's omega's really were on their own in terms of design... Need to get me another one of these days..

Handsome looking watch. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I must admit I came to the same conclusion some time ago.

Like you say you can find Tudors with French decom papers and markings but I have seen no actual "SHOM's".

The only ones you seem to see now are in fact Watchco bitsa's.

I think it is a nice appellation people add to make a watch more saleable rather like Rolex Tudor and Sicura Breitling.

I would be happy to be proved wrong though.
    I'm not too fussed on whether they were originally issued or not. The watches look amazing and are now known/referred to as SHOM, so it just makes it easier to describe the watch. The model may well have been used - how many would have been if SHOM had ordered some? It's a bit like a Rolex Comex - if it isn't an issued model, it's just a normal model. The Double Red Sea-Dweller is still a lovely watch but it wasn't an issued watch compared to the 5514's etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'm not too fussed on whether they were originally issued or not. The watches look amazing and are now known/referred to as SHOM, so it just makes it easier to describe the watch. The model may well have been used - how many would have been if SHOM had ordered some? It's a bit like a Rolex Comex - if it isn't an issued model, it's just a normal model. The Double Red Sea-Dweller is still a lovely watch but it wasn't an issued watch compared to the 5514's etc.
    Lots of stuff may have been used.

I'm only interested in proof not hearsay and calling that model SHOM just perpetuates the old internet story.

We don't describe a Rolex as a Comex unless it is issued nor is the double red referred to as anything but a double red but some Omega owners seem to want to buck the trend and attach a dubious name to something to increase its value IMO.

Owners are often grasping to make some some romantic attachment to a particular watch, no different in this case.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'm not so sure that owners are. I only knew the model referred to as SHOM when I first saw them - I had no idea what SHOM was, or stood for. It didn't change how much I liked the watch, or indeed how much the watches were on sale for imho.

I haven't seen a "SHOM" with markings on. I have no idea if there were watches of this style issued to SHOM employees, or what other watches were issued to them and what markings they would have had.

These watches are no being sold for Comex money on the back of a potential history, which is really what I was trying to convey - they are a sensible price for a bit of Onega 1970's design and seem well up to the job of every day wear to me. I'd rather one of these than a new Ceramic SMP - others no doubt would rather the more modern watch.

Although I own some, I don't really care whether or not the SHOM connection makes any difference on the price - Watchco sold them for around the same price they sold their 120m, 300m date and non dates - so there was no additional (perceived, or intended) value being traded/derived in the SHOM connection as far as I can see - it was just a name.

Rightly or wrongly I will always know them as the Omega SHOM - I do not know another Omega watch that is referred to as the SHOM - so it is simply using a name that people who know the watches - know what you are talking about - I don't believe using the model serial number would have the same clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

I'd rather one of these than a new Ceramic SMP - others no doubt would rather the more modern watch.
    So would I.

That SHOM stuff is still a fantasy though.

I call this a Bom and am hoping the name catches on so that all of us who know about watches will use the I name invented.

Cheers,
    Neil.