closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: To repair or not

To repair or not

A colleague asked me if this could be something. A Lemania Cronograph. It does not work, well used it is. I have tried to unscrew the cap but not succeed, sitting as rock.
    What do you think, to repair? Value? Model name?

Thanks in advance

Anders

I suspect this is a case reference 617 Lemania chronograph.
    I have seen a 617 before, but not with the same bezel.
    I am a little suprised the hands are metallic and not white, which I would expect.

It is rather lovely, but as you say, "well-used".

As it is, without the caseback open and an idea of what the movement looks like (solid puck of rust or miles better than that), it is worth very little, as this case shape is not an iconic one like the 817 used by SwAF.

If the movement proves to be in good nick, then it is worth a couple of hundred without repair.

Fully functional and serviced it would be worth about £800, but it would have to be well done with no horrid over-restoration done to ruin the patina.

All just opinion, of course.

So, I suggest more research before decisions are made.

Dave

Well worth doing if the innards are good. Not worth it if they are not.

The movement is likely to be the 1873, and not anything earlier. But I am not certain. The 617 I saw before had an 1872 movement.

Dave

send it off for some one to have a look at? generally just cost you the postage, so about £12- £6 in each direction

Better picture

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I am a little suprised the hands are metallic and not white, which I would expect.

As it is, without the caseback open and an idea of what the movement looks like (solid puck of rust or miles better than that), it is worth very little, as this case shape is not an iconic one like the 817 used by SwAF.

If the movement proves to be in good nick, then it is worth a couple of hundred without repair.

Fully functional and serviced it would be worth about £800, but it would have to be well done with no horrid over-restoration done to ruin the patina.

Dave

The movement is likely to be the 1873, and not anything earlier. But I am not certain. The 617 I saw before had an 1872 movement.

Dave

/Anders

Thanks for all info Dave!!

Dave

Dave

That's a lovely looking thing; it bears something of a resemblance to the SwAF chrono though with three rather than two sub-dials. I suppose a service and new crowns/pushers is probably going to gobble up the best part of £200. I don't think I'd have any trouble paying that but I suppose a non-WIS may not agree. As a matter of interest what size is it?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    That's a lovely looking thing; it bears something of a resemblance to the SwAF chrono though with three rather than two sub-dials. I suppose a service and new crowns/pushers is probably going to gobble up the best part of £200. I don't think I'd have any trouble paying that but I suppose a non-WIS may not agree. As a matter of interest what size is it?
    I would be able to pay 200 for a repair. Now I do not know how much money he want for it as it is today. The watch is 40 mm.

Regards
    Anders

Quote Originally Posted by Andsan View Post
    The watch is 40 mm.
    Nice.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I like it. Think it's a handsome watch. If it were mine I'd get it down to my watch guy for assessment of the state of the internals.

Then once that's done you can asses the validity of the project from a financial side of things (and I guess take the eventual value and restoration costs into consideration when ascertaining its current value).

It would be nice to get it working even if the economics don't work in its favour.

Sorry my first reply was a bit garbled.
    £200 is a possible cost over here if the movement is okay. More if not.
    From memory the case is likely to be 38mm, bezel 40mm - is that correct?
    This case is different from a SwAF, with curved lug fronts all angled, and no chamfer.
    If you can acquire it and get it done, it will be truly lovely, especially with those faded sub-dials. Very cool.
    The indices look a bit wierd, like applied chrome indices have been painted over. Is that likely, from closer observation?
    The bezel is almost identical to the old Zenith 146 HPs (see here - Thanks Al for the phtoo)

It is screaming out for white hands though (although I do not suggest you get them painted)

Dave

Sorry my first reply was a bit garbled.
    £200 is a possible cost over here if the movement is okay. More if not.
    From memory the case is likely to be 38mm, bezel 40mm - is that correct?
    This case is different from a SwAF, with curved lug fronts all angled, and no chamfer.
    If you can acquire it and get it done, it will be truly lovely, especially with those faded sub-dials. Very cool.
    The indices look a bit wierd, like applied chrome indices have been painted over. Is that likely, from closer observation?
    The bezel is almost identical to the old Zenith 146 HPs (see here - Thanks Al for the phtoo)

It is screaming out for white hands though (although I do not suggest you get them painted)

Dave
    Thanks Dave

The Watch is 40 incl bezel. The watch has not been used for 25 years.
    The owner does not believe that it is some dampness in it.
    Maybe a complete cleaning and oiling is enough. I have received an offer of 400 euros for such a job.
    Several people have shown interest to buy it as it is.
    It's interesting. It is mayby a real rarity.

Thanks Dave for all the info you have given to me and others.

Regards
    Anders

No problem
    I wait with interest to see how this turns out. I am sure I am not alone.
    If it interests you, you should do it yourself. If not, it will make a great project for someone.
    You are right, this is a rare watch, I follow watches like this and have seen very few. As such it deserves to survive and be sympathetically restored to its full glory.
    Keep us posted on your progress, however it goes.

Dave

ps - I would not accept any offer to re-do it for a certain amount of money until you have managed to inspect the contents of the case. The price should go down if the movement is nicely preserved. The risk is that with a pusher and the crown missing, there are 2 possible routes for moisture into the case.