closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Afternoon spent day-dreaming with really rare watches

Hybrid View

Afternoon spent day-dreaming with really rare watches

I always look forward to days like this when I can enjoy some really important, rare and beautiful watches, to see them up close, touch them and try them on, it's really a special feeling to see the details and the hard work put into these pieces. Christie's upcoming auction on Monday has a lot more interesting and rare watches but I found these few here to be the most interesting for me so spent good few hours drooling over them today.

Had to spend a good hour browsing jewelry to make my wife happy so she can prepare what was coming after, ha-ha.

So now we start. Probably the most interesting Rolex I have ever seen, only 12 ever made of this reference and only 8 still around, huge 44mm and flat with square pushers, very unusual for Rolex, the only split seconds chrono ever made I believe.

Even rarer, the Rolex Zerograph, probably the rarest rolex chrono, this probably was a prototype where only 12 pieces were ever made and only 4 of them survived. Not a lot info even from Rolex and the chrono works all the time, you have to push the chrono button to sync the hand to zero and start the count.

I'm not big fan of Rolex but I can't resist this piece I'm afraid. Chocolate California 4 line dial that has incredible aging on it. How the color changes when turned into light is simply magnificent.

Another of the few Rolex pieces that I like, Panda Dial Paul Newman this thing is gorgeous.

And definitely my FAVORITE Rolex, the rare Stelline, this watch has crazy history of being in the same family for 3 generations and passed over from Father to Son, and after many years they are shown in public. The first original owner was so worried about loosing the watch that he drilled an additional lug holes and put a gold bracelet that goes around the wrist once the watch is put so it can not be detached if the pins fail or the clasp is open. The moon faces are just so amazing it's hard to resist this watch. Absolute perfection.

Speaking of perfection, I think it's hard to beat this black dial WG Nautilus...

just when I thought this thing was heavy I lifted this:

All platinum Nautilus and the only one in the world. ref 3700 this watch is actually a myth. Up until now an all platinum version of this watch has never been seen, sold nor discussed by Patek Philippe. This is the only one known to exist. And it saw my wrist

This is the first ever Celestial I have seen in front of me and I still can't understand the complexity of it even after reading about it and listening about it for 20 minutes. You'll need a degree in astrology to be able to use it, nonetheless, the watch has simply stunning dial

Another split seconds chrono from Patek, platinum ref 5004 with gorgeous looking movement

Like many other watch enthusiasts I have been dreaming about a Nautilus and today for the first time I was able to have the 3 different versions of it and I must say that I liked the Chrono version best, the 5980

it's just so much better compared with the 5712 and the 5711, sits higher, it's a bit thicker than the 5712, it has a 2 hands on the chrono for minutes/hours, the seconds hand goes back smoothly when you reset the chrono, what a watch, honestly:

or course this thing is simply gorgeous:

5712 in white gold.

I love the power reserve and moonphase on the 5712 so I guess they would be a perfect 2 watches for a collection...

That's it from my day-dreaming day, back to reality, hope you enjoy the photos

Grand Master
    I like the whole damn collection...WOW.

so, you are dead and posting from heaven?

amazing watches!

Blog Entries
    Hi A,
    Waow! I love that 6538! What an afternoon. Man, I miss la Suisse!

Craftsman

Great Neptune's Beard!

Just... wow.

Regards,
    Adam

Master
    Great little thread! Great photos!

Craftsman
    ... I need to get out more.... (if this is going to be the effect of getting out more :)

Craftsman
    That's amazing. What sort of prices were they predicted to go for?

The only thing I don't like are the diamond indices on the platinum Nautilus, they're just a bit small.

Wow! Consider yourself very lucky. Those are some amazing watches! That black dial Nautilus is something else.

Wonderful stuff. Some amazing watches right there. I really like that 44mm Rolex. Stunning.

Master
    Brilliant thread Andronik... Some very, very special watches; still not sold on the Nautilus though!! :-D

The dial on that 6538 is superb. But if you bought it at such an enormous price, would you ever be brave enough to wear it? Presumably at this extreme end of the market these watches go straight into the safe and rarely onto the wrist.

Thanks for sharing, totally amazing.
    And

WOW.

Just WOW.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to see these.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Love the Stelline! Thanks for sharing.

Journeyman
    Fantastic post, cheers!

Probably the best post of rare collectibles seen first hand that I have ever had the pleasure to scroll through. Some of those watches were ones that caught my attention very early into getting into watches and it's fair to say that prices are through the roof compared to back then (... and muppets still blanket claim watches that don't make good investments).

There are very few watches that have diamonds on the dial that appeal to me but that PP platinum certainly breaks the mould. Nice to have a "unique" piece that is truly unique.

Before harder times I fancied a Nautilus myself...

Gray

Thanks. Good to see some normal pictures in stead of the over the top catalogue ones.

Thanks for posting this, Andronik. I have the auction playing in the background at work - the auctioneer is really working for his money. Running at full tilt in 3 languages for that period of time is some feat.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    fantastic pieces. nothing else to be said.

Solid platinum Nautilus! Awe-inspiring watch!

If I had the funds I'd have bought it and worn it as much as possible. I hope the buyers of these pieces get plenty of wrist time from them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    I hope the buyers of these pieces get plenty of wrist time from them.
    I somehow don't think that's going to happen!!!

Bloody lovely pieces though. If I had the money I would certainly give them the wrist time.

What a stunning line up. My favourite is the Rolex split second. Such a shame that they are all destined to only see the inside of a safe. Mind you, I am not sure I would want to strap a million pound watch to my wrist on a daily basis.

Wow, wow, wow! That's beyond incredible stuff to have met your wrist!

Craftsman
    40M for the diamond! WHAT

The platinum version of the Nautilus (doesn't show on my photos) it looked as if it was a daily wearer for the original owner, it was quite beaten up. Marks, scuffs on the bracelet and the case. You know you are important when Patek makes a special piece for you and you wear it every day, lol.

The diamond goes on auction today, we'll see what it will fetch. 40M was my estimate as the auction estimate is "upon request"